The discovery thread!
Jul 29, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #43,036 of 100,100
Earphones and related audio gear are only a means to an end. And the end is music (obviously). We at the green blog care deeply about the enjoyment of our music and @loomisjohnson is the driving force behind publishing our music picks...he has been around for a while and I speculate he must have been baby sitting Elvis at the time....from how much he knows. This goes well with an optical re-arrangement from the default "sales-brochure" layout to a look that allows for more diversification of topics...after all, we are in it for information and entertainment.

I just checked our blog stats and @Slater 's review of the KZ ZSN PRO has climbed above the 1000 views mark. Respect...and it is a good one!

On the gear front I am awaiting the NX7 to arrive tomorrow or possibly even today.

Slide2-1.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #43,037 of 100,100
Earphones and related audio gear are only a means to an end. And the end is music. We at the green blog care deeply about the enjoyment of our music and @loomisjohnson is the driving force behind publishing our music picks...he has been around for a while and I speculate he must have been baby sitting Elvis at the time....from how much he knows. This goes well with an optical re-arrangement from the default "sales-brochure" layout to a look that allows for more diversification of topics.

On the gear front I am awaiting the NX7 to arrive tomorrow or possibly even today.

I couldn't agree more it is only music that makes me love the many ways to appreciate it

Jul 29, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #43,038 of 100,100
Pre-Unboxing the NiceHCK NX7

And indeed did the NiceHCK NX7 arrive today. The mailman wore blue shorts and a grey shirt...he came in a red and white car with black tires...and he could not be convinced to climb up my tree and pose with the packages. The tree is an over 70-year old elm, a very healthy one that is rare in Calgary. The NX7 come in a rectangular envelope that looks rather yellow. The yellow envelope is sheltered from the mid-day sun by a more orange one above...which comes from Korea and possibly holds the Philips TX2 (a purchase I will likely regret: old school tuning and not really reduced in price). I will have to test now how these envelopes performed over the enormous distances they travelled before skillfully executing the un-enveloping followed by the unboxing, pre-photographing, photographing, accessories count reporting, box enbalming, and I may have time for some listening after a doctor's visit, followed by a beer-garden visit...I hope you, the attentive reader, is asleep by now before I have even arrived at the measurement setup, measuring, post-measuring, measurement comparisons, etc. etc.

O dear, so much work.

P.S. Attention Satire! Achtung Satire!

IMG_0527.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #43,039 of 100,100
I received the E1DA Powerdac V2 a few days ago and could only run it from my PC, sounds really good with my HiFiMan He400i. I'm wating for some usb adapters so I can try it with my Phone and daps. The HP Toy software is a joy to use and connects to the Powerdac V2 very easily.
Yeah I'm waiting for a USB C splitter since my Note 9 apparently can't power it without being plugged in. Also, waiting on a standard USB Type B cable so I can use with my MacBook. Both will be here today.

Jul 29, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #43,040 of 100,100
After 30 mins with the NiceHCK NX7, my head was ringing...I therefore measured to confirm what I was hearing (&#%^$# I have other things to do): the classic elevated upper midrange and treble. While the overall image is very clean, the upper mids (2-5 kHz; that classic "Chifi castle" in the graph) dominate and the 14 kHz peak doesn't help relaxed listening either [the Senns IE 40 PRO also have that treble peak many find offensive]...and my coupler typically underestimates treble.

I doubt whether "aging" will diminish the quantities at the upper end (measurements are usually identical before and after).

From the graph (after the looks), my speculation hardens that this is a KZ design. Anyway, no one can claim the treble is not well extended. If your eardrums can handle the upper end, this is a great as very clean sounding earphone.

My eardrums may have settled an hour into listening.

NiceHCK NX7.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #43,041 of 100,100
Jul 29, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #43,043 of 100,100
After 30 mins with the NiceHCK NX7, my head was ringing...I therefore measured to confirm what I was hearing (&#%^$# I have other things to do): the classic elevated upper midrange and treble. While the overall image is very clean, the upper mids (2-5 kHz; that classic "Chifi castle" in the graph) dominate and the 14 kHz peak doesn't help relaxed listening either [the Senns IE 40 PRO also have that treble peak many find offensive]...and my coupler typically underestimates treble.

I doubt whether "aging" will diminish the quantities at the upper end (measurements are usually identical before and after).

From the graph (after the looks), my speculation hardens that this is a KZ design. Anyway, no one can claim the treble is not well extended. If your eardrums can handle the upper end, this is a great as very clean sounding earphone.

O shamoni, I missed reporting the unboxing...my age...speaking of, due to my age, my eardrums may have settled an hour into listening.

90u63g1pgm321.jpg

You guys notice the similarities? This is the CA Solaris graph

Jul 29, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #43,045 of 100,100
I own both the Solaris and NX7. NX7 is not the Solaris by a long shot. Dont have the space the separation the overall hi quality sound of the Solaris but the NX7 is most definitely a cheapman's Solaris in tuning..

I have to agree with Otto on the open box listen. They are a bit bright out of the box. Not to mention thin sounding in the mids which in tern leads to a brighter NX7. The mid range will gradually take more presence which in turn smooths out the treble over time. Also I highly recommend a different tip. The stock stuff constricts the sonics of the NX7. Try sprial dots/ wider bored tips if you have them. Give them some time to break in a bit. Graphs will not show the effects of breaking in an earphone but I most certainly can tell the difference between my well burned in NX7 and an NX7 out of the box.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #43,046 of 100,100
Jul 29, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #43,048 of 100,100

O shamoni, I missed reporting the unboxing...my age...speaking of, due to my age, my eardrums may have settled an hour into listening.

oh man, when Jim asked me if i want to review that earphone i told him only if is not very bright sounding, he told me no, it is balanced, after that i told him to send me a pair, today i got email that they are in the country and i will get them the next two days, but it seems like Jim has other idea what the balanced sound mean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back