Rank the IEM's you've heard
Jun 11, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #3,227 of 5,136
No, I've only tried them with the lite ones. The main problem is that they don't fit in my ear too well and get uncomfortable after about an hour of use.

The OG Sednas are very firm and have longer stems-- they really helped lock the Z1R in my ears. Definitely worth trying imho..but I know the fit a major issue for some with the IER Z1R.

Jun 12, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #3,228 of 5,136
I primarily listen to pop, electronic, edm, rap, rnb. occasionally instrumentals and rock. Some artists I enjoy are Billie Eilish, Lorde, Sam Smith, Kanye West, Linkin Park, Alicia Keys, Daft Punk, Zedd, Old school Dr. Dre, Dua Lipa, Hans Zimmer, Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox, Taylor Swift, Glass Animals, The Weeknd, Justin Timberlake, and more.

1) IER-Z1R - Great all rounder, balanced sound (don't confuse with neutral), mild V-shape. Even with its great bass, it's not bass head imo. Unfortunately I don't own this anymore because of its weight. Power hungry. Has been a year since I heard this, so not sure if I would keep it number 1 today, but from memory it's this rank.
2) Legend X (Custom) - Balanced sound, can be considered L shaped or V shaped. Bass comes out when it's called for, but stays back when it needs to which is the only IEM I have heard that does this as well as the Legend X. Still not bass head IEM imo. People talk about its bass, but I was impressed by its mid range and technical ability. Comfort is great because custom. One of the few IEMs where I felt like I didn't need to buy more IEMs.
3) Elysium - Best mids I have ever heard. Oh vocals sound so nice on these. Pairs super well with M8. Have a bit of comfort issues since it's a big IEM, but fortunately it's light. Vacuum effect apparent. Big nozzle so some tips like Final E don't quite stay on. Wished cable wasn't 2.5mm termination. Does require a good source (Like M8).
4) Andromeda 2020 - Really engaging warm neutral sound. My go to for showing new people high end audio. Prefer it over 2019 since it's a bit smoother, slight boost in upper mids and reduction of treble peak. Just a bit more refined while still keeping the signature Andromeda sound.
5) Andromeda 2019
6) MEST Mk2 - Favorite for movies. Comfortable. Highly tip dependent. Engaging sound, but has noticeable coherency issues. Warmer more refined version of MEST mk1. Also great to show new people high end audio. Found that it performs best with rock.
7) Dorado 2020 w/ default foam tips - Imo best implementation of the 10mm ADLC driver. Comfortable with really nice build. Unique warm tuning, so either a love it or meh kind of IEM. For some reason listening to the default foam tips fixed some of the issues I had with silicon tips. More engaging of a listen with foam tips. Noticeable increase in bass quantity. Mid-range dip is not as noticeable on foam tips.
8) U12T - "Boring" in a good way. Highly technical IEM with one of my favorite bass responses that I have heard. Just a bit too relaxing for me. If this was just slightly more engaging, would be end game for me. APEX modules are super nice to have.
9) MEST Mk1 - Most uncomfortable IEM I have ever worn easily. Engaging, but incoherent. Too bass light imo, but has more staging than Mk2 if I recall correctly.
10) Solstice - Most comfortable IEM I have ever worn with audiophile fit. Custom Andromeda, but doesn't quite have the special sound of the Andromeda. More like a smoothed out/linear version of the Andromeda.
11) Dorado 2020 w/ silicon tips - With silicon tips (Final E Tips and Spiral Dots specifically), it has the elements of the other 10mm ADLC driver IEMs (like Atlas, Equinox) that I don't like. Male vocals sound nice on this, female vocals imo don't really sound that nice on these. It kind of sounds like there is bass bleed, but it's not really. It's like it's missing a sense of clarity or air. There is a dip in the middle of the mid range that I find unappealing with these tips.
12) EE Valkyrie Mk1 - Ultimate V-shaped IEM. Like really V-shaped. Universal as comfortable as a custom.
13) Moondrop Blessing 2: Dusk - Great for its price. At the fine line between neutral and warm neutral. Took 1.5 months to actually get it from Shenzhen Audio to US (Why do they use 4px...use DHL please).
14) Sennheiser IE300 - Most comfortable universal IEM I have worn, can be used for side sleeping. Cable has microphonic issues. Sound is a bit too relaxing and smooth for my tastes. Wished had more bass punch.
15) Westone ES50 - Comfortable because custom. Too boring to me.
16) JH Audio Lola Universal - Good mids and that's it (considering its price range). There is a small crack between the faceplate and the body and I have less than 10 hours of usage on it. Has been in its case 99% of its life so not idea why there is a crack there.
Added Dorado 2020. I generally listen custom or with Final E/Spiral Dots tips. Didn't like Dorado 2020 that much until I tried the included CA foam tips. There was this noticeable dip in the middle of the mid-range that made the Dorado 2020 sound weird with Final E/Spiral Dots. Female vocals didn't sound as good as well until trying the CA foam tips. I wouldn't say still great for female vocals, but better for sure. Overall, great IEM, better than I expected for sure. When listening on M8, I definitely preferred using turbo on Dorado 2020. Had a hard time deciding whether I enjoyed Dorado 2020 or MEST Mk2 more especially since I don't have the MEST Mk2 with me anymore.

Jun 16, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #3,229 of 5,136
  1. qdc Anole VX: the most resolving IEMs I've heard combined with a pretty agreeable tonality to my ears.
  2. 64 Audio U12t: resolution just shy of the VX, but tuned smoother and has better bass response than the VX to my ears.
  3. 64 Audio Tia Trio: really well-textured and well-controlled bass. Detail and resolution are really impressive for a 3-driver IEM.
  4. Empire Ears Legend X: detail might not be its strong suit, but the bass is so addictive and visceral. Resolution is pretty decent for such a v-shaped tuning.
  5. Campfire Solaris OG: this was my first high-end IEM and it will always hold a special place in my heart. Intimate vocals with a wide soundstage and holographic imaging. Resolution takes a hit from the slightly dipped and "hazy" upper midrange.
These are the IEMs I currently own, but I definitely want to try out more stuff though!:gs1000smile: Some IEMs on my wishlist include: qdc Anole V14, Vision Ears VE8, Campfire Andromeda 2020, Empire Ears Odin, and Oriolus Traillii.
I thought I would update my list after listening to the VE8 for over a month:
  1. 64 Audio Tia Trio: For now the Trio tops the VX and the U12t as my most enjoyable IEM. I find its soundstage to be more holographic than the other two, while having much superior bass response. It just strikes a very good balance between fun and "neutral".
  2. qdc Anole VX
  3. 64 Audio U12t
  4. Vision Ears VE8: I find it hard to put the VE8 above the U12t or the VX simply because of its lack of treble extension. Otherwise, it has a very smooth tonality with amazing midrange clarity. These are my go-to IEMs for casual listening.
  5. Empire Ears Legend X
  6. Campfire Solaris OG

Jun 19, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #3,230 of 5,136
Monthly update. New additions are in bold.
Been a long time since I've given this a shot. I think the last time I updated my ranking list was when I'd heard around ~30 IEMs. Now I'm at just under a 100, so I figured I'd try and get down a rough framework. Full-disclosure that these are just very quick, off-the-top-of-my-head rankings. There is no specific criteria, and I would say there's definitely a skew towards the higher-tiers, as (for obvious reasons) I don't enjoy listening to stuff that doesn't sound good. I organized them by tier and then alphabetically for convenience.

10 / Perfection /

Still saving this score until I hear my perfect IEM. Of course, one could also argue that something that is perfect is...well, not perfect, so there's that too LOL.

9 / Near-Perfection / Must hear.
  • 64 Audio U12t
  • Elysian Acoustic Labs Annihilator
8 / Top-Tier / IEMs that stand, or are near, the portable audio summit in my humble opinion.
  • 64 Audio Tia Trio
  • Empire Ears Odin
  • Sony IER-M9
  • Sony IER-Z1R
7 / Excellent / IEMs that spoke to me on a more fundamental level or that I would personally consider owning.
  • 64 Audio Nio
  • Campfire Andromeda 2020
  • Dunu SA6
  • Hidition Violet
  • Moondrop B2: Dusk
  • Moondrop S8
  • qdc Anole VX
  • Unique Melody MEST
6 / The Great /
  • 64 Audio Tia Fourte
  • 64 Audio U18S
  • Audeze LCDi4 (w/ Cipher)
  • Audio Lokahi
  • Campfire Andromeda 2019
  • Empire Ears Valkyrie
  • Empire Ears Valkyrie MK.II
  • Etymotic ER2XR
  • Fearless Audio S8P
  • Hidition Viento-B
  • Jomo Audio Trinity Brass
  • Moondrop B2
  • Moondrop KXXS
  • qdc Anole V14
  • Shure KSE1200
  • Softears RSV
  • Tanchjim Oxygen
  • Thieaudio Clairvoyance
  • Thieaudio Monarch
  • Vision Ears Elysium
  • Vision Ears Erlkonig
  • Vision Ears VE8
5 / The Good /
  • BGVP DM8
  • Campfire Solaris 2020
  • Campfire Solaris OG
  • Dunu DK-2001
  • Dunu DK-3001
  • Empire Ears ESR MK.II
  • Empire Ears Hero
  • Etymotic ER4XR
  • Etymotic EVO
  • Fearless S8Z
  • Ikko OH10
  • Moondrop Aria
  • Moondrop Blessing OG
  • Moondrop KXXX
  • Moondrop Solis
  • Moondrop Sparks
  • Moondrop Starfield
  • Prisma Azul
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro
  • SeeAudio Yume
  • Sony MH755
  • Tanchjim Darling
  • Thieaudio Legacy 4
  • ThieAudio Legacy 9
  • ThieAudio Voyager 14
4 / The Decent /
  • 64 Audio U18T
  • Apple AirPods Pro
  • Audiosense DT200
  • Blon BL03
  • Bose QuietComfort Buds
  • Campfire Atlas
  • Dunu Luna
  • Etymotic ER3XR
  • Final Audio E500
  • Final Audio B3
  • Mangird Tea
  • Moondrop Illumination
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds+
  • Sony MH750
  • Tanchjim Hana
  • Tanchjim Tanya
  • TinHifi T4
  • ThieAudio Legacy 5
  • Vision Ears EVE20
Other stuff I've heard that's too much work to categorize (aka less than 4/10):
  • Audiosense AQ7
  • BGVP NS9
  • Campfire Ara
  • Campfire Dorado 2020
  • Campfire Vega 2020
  • Cayin Fantasy
  • Dunu SA3
  • Dunu Zen
  • Earfun Oluv Edition
  • Empire Ears Bravado MK.II
  • Empire Ears Wraith
  • Final Audio A4000
  • Final Audio A8000
  • Final Audio EVA
  • Fiio FH3
  • Fiio FD5
  • Fiio FH5S
  • FLC 8P
  • Jaybirds Vista
  • Hiby Crystal6
  • Kinera Freya
  • KZ ZS10 Pro
  • MMR Homunculus
  • MMR Thummim
  • Moondrop SSP
  • Moondrop SSR
  • Noble Audio K10 Encore
  • Noble Audio Sultan
  • Noble Audio X
  • Periodic Audio Be
  • Periodic Audio Ti
  • Rhapsodio Zombie MK. II
  • Sennheiser IE 300
  • Sennheiser Momentum TWS 2.0
  • Shanling ME700 Lite
  • Shuoer Tape Pro
  • Shure SE215
  • Sony WF-1000XM4
  • Thieaudio Legacy 3
  • Thieaudio Voyager 3
  • Tripowin TC02
  • TinHifi P2
  • TinHifi T2
  • TinHifi T5
  • VSonic GR07
Change-log for May 2021
Sony IER-Z1R from 9 -> 8 (lack of resolving ability and midrange quirks)
SoftEars RSV from 7 -> 6 (lackluster microdynamics and just dead boring)

Change-log for June 2021
Vision Ears VE8 from 7 -> 6 (lack of resolution and undesirable treble response)
qdc Anole VX from 6 -> 7 (treble still sounds plasticky, but not as grating as I remember)

Jun 20, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #3,231 of 5,136
#SUMMER UPDATE (3)

My new personal Top 10 with iems I´ve tested

Sources (Shanling M8- warm and awesome signature)

1 tie) VE Elysium & Softears RS10 (Top tier sound, Elys on the warm side, sr10 on reference tuning side)

2) Sony ier-z1r (Best detailed bass I´ve never heard, best all rounder)

3) CA Dorado 2020 (fun, fun and more fun)

4) QDC Anole VX S (A tecnichal beast, very pleasant listening for hours)

5) CA Andromeda 2020/mw10 (Perfect update, great high freqs and soundstage)

6) EE Odin (Excelent detailed TIer, but not transmiting as soul as Elys)

7) EE Legend X (Not only bass but a perfect iem with the right cable like Ego Audio Brandy (silver-gold) and an analitycal Source like Lotoo Daps)

8) CA Solaris SE (Best Solaris version and a great all times iem)

9) UM MEST MK1 (unique spacial 3d presentation)

10) CA Atlas (a great basshead iem but not as acurrate as the Legend X)

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #3,232 of 5,136
I think I have spent enough time in this hobby now to do one of these lists. :)

Disclaimer: I myself don't put too much stock in my list lol, as, especially at the top of the list, they can easily be swapped depending on mood , my hearing and the song/genre. I value fist of all the level of engagement, musicality and tonality rather that technicalities. And I base my list on how each IEM performs at their best with the most suitable song and genre for them. I don't listen to metal, electronic music and EDM. My main genres these days are rock, blues , jazz and classical, but I listen to a lot of different stuff. So here it goes.

1. Semper: warm, musical, holographic, incredible bass, lush and engaging mids, sounds like nothing I've heard.

2. Elysium: Natural, musical, versatile, amazing tonality, incredible treble.

2. Fourte: Amazing imaging , incredible staging , analogue and natural bass with great clarify and details, vivid and transparent treble, good timbre for BA , unique.

3. Solaris LE
4. Opus Mia
5. legend X
6. Mest OG
7. EDP+
8. Penon Orb
9. Legacy 5
10. Clairvoyance
11. FH3/OH10
12. BL03
13. H40/Legacy 3
14. F9pro
15. B2 Dusk

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #3,233 of 5,136
@ Precogvision would you ever review the Thieaudio Oracle, Excalibur and Moondrop Variations.

Would be interested to hear your take on it, which I would say is fairly accurate.

I have the Dunu SA6 I could not agree more with your evaluation except on bass. I prefer a DD bass haha. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

Jun 22, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #3,234 of 5,136

May 13th, 2021, update​

List updated and re-ordered:
  • Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 added (settling my Nio & ME700 in-betweenness);
  • 64 Audio Nio removed (apex module finally a no-go, too smooth, too expensive for what I got out of them).
Additional comments made on previously-listed IEMs are underlined and corrections are striked-through.

Shanling M6 Pro is definitively a step-up from Astell & Kern SR25 (power, UI, tuning).

✕​

1. Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 / $1499

Link to write-up (not doing reviews per se anymore)
Musical rather than analytical, natural yet detailed with some texture and not too smooth

Worthy of note: this is it, nicely done
Via: Shanling M6 Pro in single-DAC mode, single-ended

2. Gaudio Clariden / $850

Detailed yet musical underdog, extremely well-layered with little to no fatigue, impressive

Worthy of note: open your mind, eyes and ears, there's something else than the big brands and chi-fi out there, benefits from powerful, warm(er) sources
Via: Astell & Kern SR25 & Dethonray Honey H1 (mainly), single-ended

3. Shanling ME700 / $559

Analogue, tube-like sound

Worthy of note: nozzle is unfortunately too short for me, marvellous package incl. the four most common cable terminations as well as tips to fine-tune the sound
Via: Shanling M6 Pro in single-DAC mode, balanced

4. Campfire Audio Andromeda Special Edition: Gold / $1299

My first entry into TOTL territory

Worthy of note: there's better and cheaper out there, too V-shaped, needs more mids
Via: Astell & Kern SR25, single-ended

5. Campfire Audio Dorado 2020 / $1099

Amazingly coherent hybrid with a treble which might sound a bit harsh

Worthy of note: there's better and cheaper out there
Via: Astell & Kern SR25, single-ended

June 22nd, 2021, update​

List updated, re-ordered and shortened after the arrival of the Sony IER-M9.

I will only list three because I'm frankly lazy.

The Solaris 2020 will go though ($).

✕​

1. Sony IER-M9 / $989.99

Link to write-up paired with Sony's ZX-507, including a comparison to the Solaris 2020
Perfection -- my personal benchmark, period.

Worthy of note: use Final E tips if you need 1-2mm more, their nozzle is short
Via: Sony ZX507, balanced

2. Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 / $1499

Link to write-up on Head Pie
Musical rather than analytical, natural yet detailed with some texture and not too smooth

Worthy of note: this is was it, nicely done
Via: Sony ZX507, single-ended

3. ...?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #3,235 of 5,136
1. Sony IER-M9 / $989.99

Link to write-up paired with Sony's ZX-507
Perfection -- my personal benchmark, period.

Worthy of note: use Final E tips if you need 1-2mm more, their nozzle is short
Via: Sony ZX507, balanced

2. Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 / $1499

Link to write-up (not doing reviews per se anymore)

Worthy of note: this is it, nicely done
Via: Sony ZX507, single-ended

3. ...?

I hope you get to hear the Isabellae at some point.

Jul 5, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #3,236 of 5,136
My personal ranking:
all IEMs with custom tips on SP2000

1.) ELYSIUM (for my ears, emotional and sparkling)

2.) Solaris 2020

3.) ODIN (details)

4.) VE8 (well „Smoothie“)

5.) Legend X (bass and fun)

6.) Andromeda Limited Gold

7.) Dorado 2020 (all-day fun on iPhone)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #3,237 of 5,136
2 new additions in bold and a couple of movements:

1. Oriolus Traillii
  2. Vision Ears Erlkonig
  3. Empire Ears Odin
  4. 64 Audio U12t
  5. Sony IER-Z1R
  6. Empire Ears Legend X SE
  7. Vision Ears Elysium
  8. 64 Audio Fourte Noir
  9. Unique Melody MEST Mk2
  10. Empire Ears Legend X
  11. Campfire Andromeda 2020
  12. Campfire Andromeda MW10
  13. Sony IER-M9
  14. 64 Audio Tia Trio
  15. Campfire Solaris SE
  16. Campfire Solaris 2020
  17. QDC Anole VX
  18. 64 Audio Nio
  19. MMR Thummim
  20. Noble Sultan
  21. Campfire Solaris OG
  22. Campfire Andromeda Gold
  23. Campfire Andromeda S
  24. Campfire Andromeda OG
  25. Empire Ears Valkyrie Mk2
  26. 64 Audio A18s (universal demo unit)
  27. Sony XBA-Z5
  28. Sony EX1000
  29. Sony XBA-N3
  30. Rhapsodio Infinity Mk2
  31. FiiO FD5
  32. KZ ZAX
  33. BLON BL-05s
  34. Sony MH755
  35. Sony MH1C
  36. Tin HiFi T4
  37. BLON BL-03
  38. Sony XBA-4
  39. KZ ZSX
Another couple of additions and some movements
  1. Oriolus Traillii
  2. Vision Ears Erlkonig
  3. Empire Ears Odin
  4. 64 Audio U12t
  5. Sony IER-Z1R
  7. Vision Ears Elysium
  8. 64 Audio Fourte Noir
  10. Empire Ears Legend X
  11. Sennheiser IE 900
  12. qdc Anole V14
  13. Campfire Andromeda 2020
  14. Campfire Andromeda MW10
  15. Sony IER-M9
  16. 64 Audio Tia Trio
  17. Noble Sultan
  18. QDC Anole VX
  19. Campfire Solaris SE
  20. Campfire Solaris 2020
  21. 64 Audio Nio
  22. MMR Thummim
  23. Empire Ears Valkyrie Mk2
  24. Campfire Solaris OG
  25. Campfire Andromeda Gold
  26. Campfire Andromeda S
  27. Campfire Andromeda OG
  28. Moondrop Blessing 2: Dusk
  29. 64 Audio A18s (universal demo unit)
  30. Sony XBA-Z5
  31. Sony EX1000
  32. Sony XBA-N3
  33. Rhapsodio Infinity Mk2
  34. FiiO FD5
  35. KZ ZAX
  36. BLON BL-05s
  37. Sony MH755
  38. Sony MH1C
  39. Tin HiFi T4
  40. BLON BL-03
  41. Sony XBA-4
  42. KZ ZSX

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #3,238 of 5,136
Another couple of additions and some movements
  1. Oriolus Traillii
  2. Vision Ears Erlkonig
  3. Empire Ears Odin
  4. 64 Audio U12t
  5. Sony IER-Z1R
  7. Vision Ears Elysium
  8. 64 Audio Fourte Noir
  10. Empire Ears Legend X
  11. Sennheiser IE 900
  12. qdc Anole V14
  13. Campfire Andromeda 2020
  14. Campfire Andromeda MW10
  15. Sony IER-M9
  16. 64 Audio Tia Trio
  17. Noble Sultan
  18. Campfire Solaris SE
  19. Campfire Solaris 2020
  20. QDC Anole VX
  21. 64 Audio Nio
  22. MMR Thummim
  23. Empire Ears Valkyrie Mk2
  24. Campfire Solaris OG
  25. Campfire Andromeda Gold
  26. Campfire Andromeda S
  27. Campfire Andromeda OG
  28. 64 Audio A18s (universal demo unit)
  29. Sony XBA-Z5
  30. Sony EX1000
  31. Sony XBA-N3
  32. Rhapsodio Infinity Mk2
  33. FiiO FD5
  34. KZ ZAX
  35. BLON BL-05s
  36. Sony MH755
  37. Sony MH1C
  38. Tin HiFi T4
  39. BLON BL-03
  40. Sony XBA-4
  41. KZ ZSX
Once again, fantastic list. Do you plan on reviewing the MEST OG? I am wondering where it fits into your list.

Also, my wife just stole my BLON 03. I need a replacement. I was thinking of replacing it with a BLON 05. How do they compare? I prefer how the 2nd gen looks to the 3rd gen. I considered pairing it with an Orpheus, but I need it with a mic for telephone calls, so I got a different cable. Haha.

Jul 5, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #3,239 of 5,136
My very quick ranking with numbers 2-4 being interchangeable based on mood / genre / listening circumstances (#1 is, by quite a large margin, the best I've heard for my preferences and my most listened to IEM), and those ranked closely after 10 being interchangeable to a lesser extent (I hate absolutes haha).

1) Odin
2) Legend X
3) Z1R
4) VE8
5) Solaris SE
6) Dorado 2020
7) Hero
8) Atlas
9) U12t
10) Solaris OG
11) Andromeda OG
12) Katana
13) Vega 2020
14) Vega OG
15) Jupiter
16) Lyra II
17) iSine 20
18) IE800
19) Shure 846

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #3,240 of 5,136
Once again, fantastic list. Do you plan on reviewing the MEST OG? I am wondering where it fits into your list.

Also, my wife just stole my BLON 03. I need a replacement. I was thinking of replacing it with a BLON 05. How do they compare? I prefer how the 2nd gen looks to the 3rd gen. I considered pairing it with an Orpheus, but I need it with a mic for telephone calls, so I got a different cable. Haha.
Blon 03 is better than the 05, but the 05S have a good reputation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back