Rank the IEM's you've heard
May 28, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #3,211 of 5,140
Pardon me, I'm trying to learn English, and curious in the previous exchanges can we use the word 'complimentary' instead of 'complementary' in those cases? Are they pronounced the same by native speakers?

These 2 words look very similar, but they mean very different things though. Credit to oxford dictionary where this info is taken from (below):

1) complimentary
/kɒmplɪˈmɛnt(ə)ri/

Meaning(s):
- expressing a compliment; praising or approving.
For example, this reviewer was very "complimentary" about this IEM.

- given or supplied free of charge.
For example, this reviewer says that the IEM was provided "complimentary" from XX company for a fair review.

2) complementary
/kɒmplɪˈmɛnt(ə)ri/

Meaning:
- combining in such a way as to enhance or emphasize the qualities of each other or another.
For example, XX IEM is basslite whereas YY IEM is a basshead IEM. These 2 IEMs are "complementary" rather than competing, as together, they can suit different music genres or sound signature preferences.

May 29, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #3,213 of 5,140
English is a crazy language. At least those two words have a different letter. Wait until you come across Homonyms, the same word with the same spelling having multiple meanings..
And sorry, I didn't catch the first part of the question, I thought you had looked it up and was curious about the pronunciation.. Reading my phone without my glasses is a bit tough..

May 29, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #3,214 of 5,140
english is easy , and i say that not being my native language

i can not imagine how difficult it is learning chinese/japanese/arabic (i won't mention Greek , since it's my native language)

May 29, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #3,215 of 5,140
English is a crazy language. At least those two words have a different letter. Wait until you come across Homonyms, the same word with the same spelling having multiple meanings..
And sorry, I didn't catch the first part of the question, I thought you had looked it up and was curious about the pronunciation.. Reading my phone without my glasses is a bit tough..

看你要学中文的时你就知道哈哈哈

I'm Chinese but I can barely read/write anymore lol.

Jun 3, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #3,216 of 5,140
I'd love to hear your opinion on the Dorado 2020...I think you'd quite like it, all the more so that you have the M8. That said it may be a little redundant alongside the Thummim.

RE the Volt...I liked it a lot. The thing about that list is that I like all of those IEMs...the beauty of these forums and others like them is that it allows one to make very educated guesses when pursuing or purchasing. As a result none of the IEMS that have crossed my path have been duds. That said the Volt is nice it just didn't hold its lustre long for me alongside the Elysium, IER Z1R, Andromeda, Dorado etc.

1) Elysium
2) Dorado 2020
3) IER Z1R
4) Andro 2020/MW10
5) Solaris SE/OG
6) VE8
7) Bravado MKii
8) OG MEST
9) Legend X
10) Anole VX
11) Trio
12) Nio
13) Atlas

I'm sharing this edited list as too much after this point in my last list was a little too arbitrary.
I feel an updated list coming on :sweat_smile: Z1R overtaken by Isabellae?!

Jun 3, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #3,217 of 5,140
I feel an updated list coming on :sweat_smile: Z1R overtaken by Isabellae?!

Andromeda and Solaris as well...and honestly were it not for my basshead tendencies probably Dorado too . Remember my ranking list is just a thermometer reading of where the IEM fits into my life at a given moment in time and is not meant to be an objective measure of relative standing (something I don't personally believe is possible).

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #3,218 of 5,140
Deleting this post, because just discovered Dorado 2020 with foam tips

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #3,219 of 5,140
Deleting this post, because just discovered Dorado 2020 with foam tips

If you're into vocals check out the Oriolus Isabellae.

Also imho and that of others the Dorado really shines with turbo gain on the M8 (if you haven't tried it already).

Also curious how foam tips changed your perception of the sound :)

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #3,220 of 5,140
If you're into vocals check out the Oriolus Isabellae.

Also imho and that of others the Dorado really shines with turbo gain on the M8 (if you haven't tried it already).

Also curious how foam tips changed your perception of the sound :)
I actually haven't tried it yet on turbo, I generally run high on M8. I originally preferred Dorado 2020 with DX300 since it elevated the upper mids a bit and made female vocals sound better since female vocals were one of the areas that I thought Dorado 2020 was lacking.

I never use foam tips (rarely find an IEM where I prefer foam tips over silicon), but was curious as I was about to send it back and it sounds more engaging. Elevated bass impact and feels more of a sense of naturalness to the sound with foam tips. Not sure exactly what it is yet, will give it a day. I'll also try it more on M8 turbo. What tips do you use for Dorado 2020?

Do you think Oriolus Isabellae would make vocals sound better than Elysium? I have yet to find anything (headphones or IEMs) that makes vocals sound as good as they do on Elysium.

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #3,221 of 5,140
I actually haven't tried it yet on turbo, I generally run high on M8. I originally preferred Dorado 2020 with DX300 since it elevated the upper mids a bit and made female vocals sound better since female vocals were one of the areas that I thought Dorado 2020 was lacking.

I never use foam tips (rarely find an IEM where I prefer foam tips over silicon), but was curious as I was about to send it back and it sounds more engaging. Elevated bass impact and feels more of a sense of naturalness to the sound with foam tips. Not sure exactly what it is yet, will give it a day. I'll also try it more on M8 turbo. What tips do you use for Dorado 2020?

Do you think Oriolus Isabellae would make vocals sound better than Elysium? I have yet to find anything (headphones or IEMs) that makes vocals sound as good as they do on Elysium.

Give turbo a whirl-- it really improves the technicalities of the Dorado. It makes the sound a bit more "in your face" though...but that's what I love about it.

No Ely is still king for female vocals...Isabellae wins for male vocals though...I prefer it to both VE8 and Ely. Male vocals are not one of the Elysium's strongest suits imho).

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #3,222 of 5,140
What tips do you use for Dorado 2020?.

Spiral Dots ++ and Sedna Shorts both work well for me...I just need to make sure the tip is properly placed on the nozzle as the Dorado 2020 nozzle can be difficult to work with.

Also, my current top 5:

1) Elysium
2) Dorado 2020
3) Isabellae
4) IER Z1R
5) Andromeda 2020

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #3,223 of 5,140
Tired of iems, have all i need and don't want to buy and sell them anymore :D
So here is my final rating:

1. 64 Audio U12t: references sound, almost perfect tuning, high technical level, i would be perfectly content with it if not for the fit. I've auditioned A18s demo briefly, and while it sounded even better, and it wasn't so much better to me to justify the price jump.
2. Fir Audio M4: less technical, more musical version of U12t, with dynamic bass and more forward mids. Fit is better too due to the shells being a bit smaller.
3. Vision Ears VE8: pretty close to the top, lovely tuning, lush and melodic, if only a little dark and not as open sounding as 64a/Fir.
4. 64 Audio Nio: love the warm yet open sound with MX module, still a bit too slow and "round" compared to U12t.
5. Sennheiser IE900: more "fun" and v-shaped than i usually like. Fantastic comfort. Mids are too relaxed, vocals too distant, and permanent "concert hall" EQ-like tuning doesn't work for all my music.
6. Sony IER-M9: warm neutralish? referency-musical? Great all-arounder, very reasonably priced too. Soundstage is average, but layering and separation are top level.
7. Solaris 2020: great bass, soundstage and highs, mids didn't always sound right.
8. 64 Audio Tia Fourte: very capable technically, with weird tuning and overdone treble.
9. Andromeda 2019: typical BA bass, can be bright and fatiguing occasionally.
10. Westone W80: super small and comfortable. Veiled, laidback Westone house sound (unless EQed) that works pretty well with even the worst recordings, but fails to really impress and engage.
11. Fir Audio VxV: strange upper mids/treble, some of my music sounded sharp and unpleasant.

Don't deserve any rating: Campfire Dorado 2020 - bloated bass, muddy sound. Easily the worst kilobuck iem i've tried.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #3,224 of 5,140
1. QDC VX - Best technicalities I've heard from an IEM. Prefer the more 'natural' sound of these to the Z1R, which has somewhat sucked-out mids. Also the dip switches are pretty fun to use at times
1. IER-Z1R - Natural bass and satisfying decay, great soundstage as well (definitely better than VX in soundstage). Fit is atrocious though and I regret getting them
2. CFA Andromeda 2019 - Use these every day, works well with so many genres, soundstage is on par with Z1R. They've basically become my endgame
3. CFA Andromeda 2020 - A little more boring version of the 2019 but still decent.
4. IER-M9 - Pretty warm overall, not a huge fan of the sound signature but I like to use them once in a while.
5. Dunu Luna - These surprised me. The sound signature is super fun and the technicalities are excellent. Would be nice to have as a complement to one of the above pairs.
6. 64 U12T - Pretty bassy, average technicalities, nothing really stands out (Liked the U18T more but didn't have enough time with them)
7. Hyla CE-5 - Great Bass but the strange tuning w/ the highs hurts to listen to
8. ER4XR
9. FIR-M5
10. 64 A12T - Just way too dark, headache-inducing
11. Massdrop Plus
12. Final Make2
13. CFA Vega - lmao, I thought they were broken

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #3,225 of 5,140
1. IER-Z1R - Natural bass and satisfying decay, great soundstage as well (definitely better than VX in soundstage). Fit is atrocious though and I regret getting them

Have you tried OG Sedna tips (not the lite ones)? They revolutionized the fit of the Z1R for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back