The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 1, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #76,321 of 87,694
I thought I would take this time to share a little end of year wrapup. I'm back to work tomorrow (F.F.S) and once that happens I'll be back to only being able to engage with the community on select evenings or on weekends...so apologies in advance if it feels like I'm spamming the thread today, as after today I'll have much less time for posts like this.

First off, thank-you everyone for the shoutouts this last few days. The primary aim of this thread, in so much as my own intentions are concerned, is to facilitate community, fellowship and connection among like minded individuals who share often little in common except for their love of this hobby. Sharing and gathering information about the gear we purchase is of course important-- but to me it's always been of secondary in importance to the community aspect. A lot of this, admittedly, has to do with everything this world has gone through-- and continues to go through-- this past 3-4 years where isolation, uncertainty and fear has been thrust in large measure onto the world as a whole. It's great to have a place, as many acknowledge, whose members span the globe and where folks of all races, ages and backgrounds can come together in a spirit that defies the disuniting trends of our times. Further, as someone pointed out, it's great to have an "old school" hangout that flies in the of the zombie-inducing social media platforms that make up the bulk of people's online time it seems these days. So, from the bottom of my heart I want to thank each and everyone who posts, contributes, lurks or otherwise is a part of the fabric of this place. It's become a large and irreplacable piece of my life-- and I many others likely feel the same way. Here's to you all, and to the future.

As part of my year end wrapup I would like to share some of the experiences that helped define 2023 for me.

Community Experiences.

One of my realizations about this hobby can be expressed in the statement "we come for the gear, but stay for the fellowship". It was seeking information about gear that got me onto Head Fi once upon a time but it's the community here that keeps me coming back. I'm fortunate to have gotten to a point where I've experienced pretty much the length and breadth of the portable landscape, where I know exactly what I like and that there isn't much new coming out that really excites me all that much. FOMO is very much a thing early on but I've found that if you pursue this hobby systematically and honestly the FOMO factor tends to diminish considerably as time goes on.

On the other hand the community experiences are a bottomless resevoir of joy and never diminish and nowhere is this better tyified than at CanJams. I only made it to two this year-- NYC and SoCal but they are incredibly rich with memories that will not fade any time soon. Some highlights (in rough order of the time they occurred):

1) Meeting @Natesdailies at the airport on the way to NYC and sharing a train to the venue and experiencing together the dawning excitement of being in Times Square, Manhattan.

2) Connecting with @RTodd and @Frankie D for what turned out to be Todd's birthday dinner in Manhattan.

3) Gathering in Todd's room late the first night with @wazzupi , Frankie, @HiFiHawaii808 , Todd and others to demo gear-- and finally getting to hear the Erlkonig.

4) Pizza in Times Square with @HiFiHawaii808

5) Meeting Vlad from fir and the legend @twister6 in person

6) Meeting up at random times throughout the day to communicate our excitement about whatever had captured our mind and heart that day.

7) Being picked up at the airport by @emdeevee and driving to the CanJam venue-- it was a great way to start the show.

8) Spending time with @jude and @warrenpchi on the show floor that first night and hearing him praise the Cooler community to its embodying old school hobby and community values.

9) An unforgettable conversation with @bigbeans and his dad that got quite deep.

10) Sports bar hell followed by some epic Korean BBQ. Good things came to those of us who waited.

11) Always a highlight is spending time with GOATS @Andrew DiMarcangelo and the Bloom crew, @Eric Chong from eletech, @Chang from NIghtJar/Subtonic and Andrew from @MusicTeck

12) Meeting Caleb Roseneau in person and finally being able to express my affection for Campfire to one of the main guys in person.

13) And of course the excitement of oganizing the group photos and wearing the cooler name tags with pride.

70CC0720-783E-4104-BFF2-3F925FF891E2.JPEG

9DDD33F6-43B1-4675-A4B9-773373A0C45A.JPEG

The list goes on and on but you get the idea. I'm so stoked for CanJam NYC!

2023 Gear Highlights

Caveat-- What follows is based on my personal tastes. It's not meant as an ordered ranking in an objective sense. The stuff I own is on top as I'm more familar with it.

1) Campfire Trifecta + Sony DMP Z1, Sony WM1Z

The Trifecta has been my favorite IEM all year, and that doesn't show any signs of changing soon (though the Perpetua is currently standing alongside it, which I'll cover in a bit). I don't want to get to much into this as I've already said everything I want to say about this IEM. That said 1) It's been a pleasure to watch the regard and appreciation for this IEM grow within the community. There is been no shortage of derision and scorn from elitists and chin stroking pundits who would rather leave CFA out of the TOTL conversation altogether, however despite all this people have been judging with their own ears and, while certainly not for everyone, there are a good number of folks for whom the Trifecta hits all the right buttons and it's been nice to see that recognition. Secondly, 2) I've had the pleasure of hearing the Trifecta with both the DMP-Z1 and the WM1Z and quite honestly it's like hearing a whole new IEM. @named name told me once that he didn't really understand the Trifecta until he heard it through the 1Z and I have to say it's really something else.

2) Dita Perpetua

Here's an IEM that came out sometime in 2022 but that I didn't pay much mind to until @Sajid Amit and a few others started singing it's praises. Eventually an opportunity arose late in the year and I picked up a set for myself...and quite honestly I couldn't be happer. The Perpetua doesn't reveal itself right off the bat but the more I listened the more I fell in love. The tuning is well balanced, the stage decently large, coherence and timbre are stunning and the bass is deeply satisfying. It may sound cliche but the Perpetua is one of the most perfect "total package" IEMs I've heard for my tastes. Some may question the idea of a $3k single DD-- but please hear it before you write it off. It's build quality (titanium + glass shell) is off the charts good and the sound, if appreciate DD sound, holds court with any of the more expensive hybrid setups that I've heard. Perpetua is a work of class and refinement and is the best IEM I heard for the first time in 2023. PS - it helps that is also has mind bogglingly good synergy with the WM1Z as well as with the Hiby RS8.

3) Campfire Audio Bonneville

Along with the Perpetua this was the other major surprise for me in 2023. I went to SoCal knowing about it but not having any real interest in demoing it however by the end of the show it emerged as one of my favorites-- and was my listening choice du jour for a good two months following the SoCal show. To my ears the Bonneville is a near-perfect representation of everything I love about the CFA house sound-- decently technical, great bass, well balanced but fun, excellent timbre and soundstage. It's been great to see the popularity of this IEM take off an I imagine it's going to have a great year in 2024.

4) Sources: Luxury & Precision LP6, Hiby RS8, Sony WM1Z, AK SR35

As far as sources go 2023 for me was the year of R2R daps. I know the WM1Z is not R2R but whatever Sony's secret sauce is manifests similarly to my ears. All 3 of these devices have a sound characterized by effortless, refined, flowing analogue goodness. The Sony is my favorite (I'm a Sony person) because the sound of that player has an extra level of je ne said quoi refinement across he board to my ears...and it happens to synergize especially well with my IEMs. As someone who doesn't need Android the user experience of the 1Z utterly annihilates the LP6 IMHO. Lastly there is the AK SR35, my little pocket rocket. Deceptively great sounding, eminently portable, warmish but technical and full sounding a la CS DACs. My ultra portable budget friendly source of choice.

5) Noble Viking Damascus

I only managed a few brief demos of this once in NYC when it belonged to @wazzupi and a couple times again when the same unit belonged to @HiFiHawaii808. This is one of those IEMs that burned a deep impression in my consiousness that has not faded after all this time. One of the most impressively technical and engaging sets I've heard. To my ears the Damascus is just slightly more balanced and impactful in the bass than the Ragnar. YMMV.

6) CanPur CP622B

I had this unit on tour and it left a striking impression me for an IEM without a DD that I heard very briefly. Addictive romance and secred sauce in the mids even if the bass wasn't quite there. I'll be getting this unit back for a few days so I'll abe able to reassess. I predict this one getting even more popular in 2024.

7) Unique Melody Amber Pearl

I don't generally jive with UM's sound (the Mentor didn't really cut it for me) but I'll be damned if the Amber Pearl doesn't have the most addictive and seductive midrange presentations-- especially in the vocals-- that I've ever heard. Breathy, seductive, beautiful. IMHO this fixes everything that I didn't like about the Mentor-- less energy in the upper mids and better bass. That price though...

8) Fir Rn6

The Rn6 is my favorite of the Frontiers. The Xe6 never quite did it for me but I can understand why fans of that IEM won't typically prefer this one. The Rn6 has that sort of innoffensive "does everything pretty well" even keeled character that characerizes many of 64 Audio's IEMs. It's got just a bit of everything and doesn't do anything really wrong-- good bass, technical, no FR weirdness, e-stat goodness up top, BCD down low. I could see this struggling in a collection however if I had to pick one IEM for someone I did not know and wanted to choose one that excelled at a bit of everything I would probably choose this. A triumph from Fir Audio IMHO.

9) Subtonic STORM

This IEM has been quite a sensation this year-- all the more remarkable given how rare it is. It's something of the Philosopher's Stone of the IEM world. Delightfully transparent, top tier BA bass, impecably balanced. Midrange is a little dry for my tastes but that's par for the course with reference IEMs. I get why this IEM has captured the u12t gang's heart even if it's outside the range of my personal prefernces.

10) Oriolus Monachaa

Another lovely bird. Typical Oriolus tuning magic expressed through 4 DDs (though they're not all DDs in the typical sense). Definite midrange magic here, especially in the upper mids. Difficult to drive, but rewarding if you mange to drive it well. Reminiscent of a DD Traillii in some ways.

11) Aroma Fei Wan

Lots to love about this IEM. Some of the most impressive 3d holographic imaging I've heard-- and possibly the best I've heard from an IEM without BCD. A little too energetic up top for me and as such was hard for me to listen to for extended sessions. This is just a personal beef-- many I respect love this IEM to death and don't have the issues I do. Definitely one worth checking out if for no other reason than to experience it to see where it lands for you. Build quality is qute meh, however...especially for a $5k product.

12) Campfire Audio Cascara

Last but not least the CFA Cascara-- one of the most desceptively great IEMs I've heard recently and one which imho defies it's price. This is my "budget pick" of 2023. The Cascara does a lot well for a bombastic bass heavy set-- mid range enthusiasts will find a lot to love here.

91F54FF6-8AB8-42D9-A00B-6C14A22F5FB2.JPEG

All of this to say-- Happy New Year Watercooler. I love each and everyone here. All the best in 2024!

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #76,322 of 87,694
Always love to revisit vinyl through my 2-channel system… especially sitting on the floor with a glass of wine!

While the resolution etc is nothing like my IEMs, there is an alluring charm to the analogue sound of vinyl.

IMG_9809.jpeg
Love that boxset. I can't wait to set up my 1200 again so I can listen to all my records .

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #76,323 of 87,694
Happy New Year everyone. First question of the year.

What products are you most looking forward to hearing and/or buying in 2024?

Looking forward to:
  • Upcoming UM announcements
  • CanJam NYC announcements
Head-Fi short list for 2024:
  • Duality
  • Canpur 622B
  • HiBy R8 II
Not-Head-Fi ordered awaiting delivery:
  • H. Moser & Cie – Pioneer Cylindrical Tourbillon Skeleton

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #76,324 of 87,694
For my ears, AEX07 are an improved version of the AET07 (likewise, one of my fav eartips).
The only thing I prefer about AEX07 is the colour. It's slightly harder and therefore less comfortable than AET07 for me, which makes any sound improvements moot.

Here is what is on my watch list:

1. Luxury and Precision LP7 ti DAP
2. Elysian Acoustic Labs Dio IEM
3. iBasso PB5 Osprey portable amp
4. PMG Audio APX IEM
5. NightJar Duality IEM
6. ATH AWKG Naru headphone
7. Headamp Grand Cayman amp
8. ZMF Caldera Closed headphone.

This will obviously change over the weeks ahead and in advance of CanJam NYC.
Duality.

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #76,326 of 87,694

- Luxury & Precision E7 (I believe we will need to wait til 2025 for the LP7)
- New Campfire Audio releases...
- @Steranko 's Muxicbox IEM
- Nightjar Acoustic cables
- Subtonic's new releases
- Fitear DC Ti (if I get a hookup of some sort!)

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #76,327 of 87,694
One of my two 1210s that I bought in either 1994 or 1995 and still going strong… even having been dragged about to many party’s back in the day! Built like tanks.

IMG_9814.jpeg
Yes!

When I moved (briefly) to Berlin I purchase da used one at a local shop.
They had a used and a new one....the shop owner recommended I buy the used one because "it already worked fine for 5 years, it's not going to break down at this point"...he was right!

Lovely HB boxset there too, btw..he lived in my old neighborhood when he retired. Lovely human being.

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #76,328 of 87,694
The only thing I prefer about AEX07 is the colour. It's slightly harder and therefore less comfortable than AET07 for me, which makes any sound improvements moot.
Huh...more comfort is the improvement for me. I didn't find much in the way of sonic differences. 🤷‍♂️ Weird hobby is weird, hahaha.

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #76,329 of 87,694
Yes!

When I moved (briefly) to Berlin I purchase da used one at a local shop.
They had a used and a new one....the shop owner recommended I buy the used one because "it already worked fine for 5 years, it's not going to break down at this point"...he was right!

Lovely HB boxset there too, btw..he lived in my old neighborhood when he retired. Lovely human being.

I’ve debated buying a modern turntable many times but end up sticking with my trusty 1210.

Yes that Budd Box collection is fantastic, he was an amazing musician. I used to play ‘Pavilion of Dreams’ to help my kids fall asleep when they were very young… also ‘Ambient 2’ with Eno. Did you actually get to meet him?

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #76,330 of 87,694
I’ve debated buying a modern turntable many times but end up sticking with my trusty 1210.

Yes that Budd Box collection is fantastic, he was an amazing musician. I used to play ‘Pavilion of Dreams’ to help my kids fall asleep when they were very young… also ‘Ambient 2’ with Eno. Did you actually get to meet him?
yes, we crossed paths a couple of times at the local coffee shop and music store, but only once I had the guts to say hi and introduce myself.

Jan 1, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #76,332 of 87,694
:star: State of the Collection:star:

Happy New Year everyone! 2023 has been an exciting one in the HeadFi space. From establishing connections with Headfi’ers in person at CanJam SoCal, to witnessing some exciting releases such as PMG Audio’s APX and Cayin/UM Amber Pearl collaboration. As we head into 2024, CanJam NYC is shaping up to the greatest CanJam yet, and I look forward to what this fun event brings and whatever gear may greet us this year.

Over the NYE weekend, I went hiking with a friend in the Los Padres National Forest, this was one of the tougher physical feats I’ve done in a long time even though it was only 8 miles. I will need to purchase some walking sticks, dedicated trail walking boots, and water pack. Slinging a Dell laptop bag with water bottle adds needless counter weights when hopping between rocks during river crossings. I’ve included some photos of the great escape and am grateful for the treasure that are USA's National Forests and National Parks. As I write this, body aching and perpetually thirsty, I am excited to go again. On the way back from the hike, we ended up at a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, where coincidentally, a Cars and Coffee meetup was taking place. Old friends were reconnecting after the holidays, catching up on whatever was missed while other enthusiasts were peering over various bonnets, mildly intrigued to see what mechanical marvel lied within. Watching this behavioral interplay, I am reminded of the Watercooler community and gathered some inspiration for this post. Instead of a car to showcase at our perpetual ‘meet’ (the Watercooler Thread), I will showcase my IEMs to mark the beginning of the year and index where I am in the headfi journey. A tentative title, State of the Collection.

IMG_2029.jpeg

Green Eletech Companion Case
Campfire Supermoon, Campfire Bonneville, Campfire Equinox, Empire Legend X, Elysian DIVA, Fir VxV

Blue Eletech Companion Case
Campfire Trifecta, Aroma Audio Jewel, FIR XE6, DITA Perpetua

Unique Melody x Van Nuys Case
UM Indigo, UM x Cayin Amber Pearl, UM Fusang, UM MEXT

Pics from the Hike:
IMG_2034.jpeg

IMG_2033.jpeg

IMG_2035.jpeg

Jan 1, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #76,333 of 87,694
Huh...more comfort is the improvement for me. I didn't find much in the way of sonic differences. 🤷‍♂️ Weird hobby is weird, hahaha.
Oh for sure. AEX70 is more comfortable than both, but sounds slightly different. It's now my go-to for IE900, replacing AET07.

Jan 1, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #76,334 of 87,694

Here is what is on my watch list:

1. Luxury and Precision LP7 ti DAP
2. Elysian Acoustic Labs Dio IEM
3. iBasso PB5 Osprey portable amp
4. PMG Audio APX IEM
5. NightJar Duality IEM
6. ATH AWKG Naru headphone
7. Headamp Grand Cayman amp
8. ZMF Caldera Closed headphone.

This will obviously change over the weeks ahead and in advance of CanJam NYC.
1. HiBy R8 II. It's finally time for me to get a proper full-sized DAP, and this one ticks all the boxes for me.
2. Elysian Dio. Something tells me the hype is very real about this one. I love my Anni, an upgraded version is likely end-game for me. Availability could be an issue tho.
3. Nightjar Duality. Still haven't found a single/all-DD set that clicks with me, I'm wondering if this could finally be the one...
4. FatFreq Scarlet Mini. ...or maybe this one. For the fun factor at least.
5. Aroma/Oriolus. Haven't had the chance yet to hear anything from either of these two, maybe that will finally change this year.
6. ZMF Caldera/Atrium. I heard these both at a show last year, less than ideal conditions for this type of HP. I'll need to hear them both again to figure out which I might want to pick up.

And I'm sure there's heaps more I'll learn about from all of the CJ impressions from you all, really looking forward to and appreciate your sharing!

Jan 1, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #76,335 of 87,694
I have watched this thread for awhile and envy some of the things y’all have gotten to listen to and respect the perspective some of you can bring ti this hobby. I’d like to ask something.

I am a portable listener and will be for the foreseeable future. I don’t have a desktop set up and my lifestyle isn’t suited to be able to use one much if I did.

I have tried a couple low level daps (ibasso DX170 and Tempotec V6) to see if they are portable enough and work well enough for my use case and to see if I like the sound better than my BTR7 through Bluetooth. If I did like them I would upgrade later to something “better.” I’m sorry but I just can’t pick up a big difference between wired through these daps and Bluetooth from btr7 and especially on the move not doing critical listening. I am a Spotify streamer and like the versatility to be able to switch songs from my watch through the phone app and not have to worry about pulling out another big device from my pocket. I also have the Tempotec v3 on the way for portable Bluetooth use.

So all that said what I am looking to do is find my endgame when taking into consideration my use case. I do spend some time at home where I can dial into the critical listening a little more but maybe not enough to justify such a huge price tag in the multi thousands. Something tells me I don’t need a multi thousand dollar set because maybe I won’t be able to see its potential without a desktop setup? Is this true? Maybe it isn’t.

My question is this: how much should I spend before I may start seeing massive diminishing returns considering my setup?

I am not a wealthy person so I would like to spend up to $800 and be done with it. Some sets I am looking at are Soundrhyme DTE900 and SR8 (a brand known to have incredible value) or AUR Audio Neon Pro or Ascension. I like a balanced/energetic signature with lush vocals that aren’t too recessed.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Happy New Year everyone!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back