The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 31, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #76,216 of 87,695
Happy New Year, Coolers! I wish you all a happy and healthy 2024! And, of course, may you thoroughly enjoy your journey down the audiophile rabbit hole 😄

2023 was a remarkable year during which I decided to splurge my hard-earned cash on immersing myself in the world of music. I was fortunate enough to finally receive my long-awaited Noble Prestige Nodachi and MuZiGe just before the start of 2024, which marked the end of my purchases for the year. These headphones not only sound incredible but also boast a stunning appearance. I am truly grateful to the one and only Wizard for creating them! They offer a distinct experience compared to my other collections, making them a valuable addition for enjoying specific genres. I will provide an update once I've had the opportunity to spend some quality listening time with them.

IMG_2757.jpeg
IMG_2753.jpeg

Stay safe and happy listening guys!
Very beautiful looking iems (both)

Dec 31, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #76,217 of 87,695
Uh, did my post in some way offend you bro? 😅
I said nothing about your preference. I'm on the "enjoy what you buy" camp too and never thought buying watch as an investment. Actually I'm not good at saving money too 🤣
Spend and enjoy your life as long as you know what you like 😉

Hello Cooler Friends!! I hope everyone New Years Eve (here in the states) and New Years Day (elsewhere) is going awesome!! It has been a very successful year for music I must say. I have well over 150 favorite albums just released this year alone, so narrowing it down took some heart ache and stewing. I am drawn to all and every type of music. Sound in general is my passion and the way I express and release. I built this list specifically based off what I found the most unique, creative and satisfying to my ears. I love popular music but I have a fascination with experimental tropes and off kilter sounds. Some of these selections may not be to many of your tastes but I believe all of these are worthy of at least checking out for the artistry involved. I am purely an album listener so if you love something here, I recommend full listens start to finish and repeated listens are encouraged. But alas, I wont tell anyone how to listen to music, just a humble suggestion. The little blurbs under each title is just my scaled down interpertation of each to help better guide you through the list. I hope everyone that reads this will find something to enjoy here and maybe, hopefully something new that ignites curiosity to seek out more music! At this current time in history we have endless and copious amounts of music at our fingertips which is one the most amazing achievements in modern human history IMO. But, most importantly if you like/love something, share it with another! Pass it on, so these artists get the recognition they deserve. Enjoy Friends and I wish you all A Very Happy New Year full of Love, Friends, Family, Good Health and Peace.:fireworks:🎇:champagne::champagne_glass::revolving_hearts:

So Without further adieu, here is....
topsters2.jpg

MY TOP ALBUMS OF 2023 ~in no particular order, listed by genre only

Electronic (varying sub-genres)

1.Laurel Halo-Atlas ALBUM OF THE YEAR

A light showing the way through a dense fog, diffused. Atlas is that album. A modern classical album drudged through the grime of a wasting world. Breathtaking and my personal Album of The Year! Best for late night listens.

2.Tara Clerkin Trio-On The Turning Ground
This is one of the most interesting and addictive albums I have heard in a very long time, piano, harmonia, guitar, vocals and electronics combine to create the most highly intriguing and intellectual electronic/folk/jazz/dub music I have heard in at least a decade. Heady and addicting. A must listen start to finish. Third album of the year for me.

3.Lee Gamble-Models
Another compelling Lee Gamble album that just hits for me, great minimal wave with well thought out samples and drumless beats that swirl and hypnotize.

4.Vince Clarke-Songs of Silence
This is steadily becoming one of my favorite synth albums of all time. Klaus Schulze eat your heart out! Mr. Clarke is carving the way for new synth artists to modulate till hearts are content. A very compelling album that deserves a full listen as many times as possible as you will continue to find new things for your brain to latch onto. Join the ride!

5.Hania Rani-Ghosts
Sultry, slinky and sensual vibes here for me, but also just a terrific album with great sonic blade runner-esque landscapes. But those vocals!!! This is why Ghosts is in my top albums. A haunting and measured listen that is well worth it.

6.Galya Bisengalieva-Polygon
A visceral and terrifying landscape full of weightiness and lush synth crescendos as eery visuals emanate from this utopian universe. This one has become a late night favorite. Has a horror soundtrack feel to it but not cheesy, more of a build up of tension with little to no release.

7.Not Waving-The Place I’ve Been Missing
A haunting and breathtaking minimal wave album full of heavenly synth nuggets, droning beats and reverb drenched cold night-hot boxed moments.

8.Actress-LXXXVIII
Big Bass Beats along with minimal distorted beats slowed down and sometimes sped up samples, and layers of synth pads that wash over you with finesse. Some tracks are challenging but its another album that had me keep coming back to hear more. Anything good in life has some challenges and I have found in music these challenges are most often more than not, rewarded. This album builds like its own little electronic world, taking its time with its own agenda to take you to another realm where Actress reigns.

9.Purelink-Signs
I havent found a downtempo techno ambient album this pleasing in a very long time. This is great headphone commute music and music to zone out to and contemplate life or whatever makes you chill.

10.Koan Sound- Led by Ancient Light
What a ride this album is! It has a very cinematic OST feel, then erupts into heavy bass blasts and then turns into jazz, while keeping the above elements at play. A very exciting listen. Not to be missed!

Rock/Indie/Folk

11.Greg Mendez-S/T

Singer songwriter simplicity that is masterful and gut wrenching. A short album with its heart on its sleeve.

12.ML Buch-Suntub
A truly great album that I doubted at first as it is quite midi-full. But the intricate layers of instruments included with the midi influence along with the female vocals blend into something very complete and calls for repeat listens.

13.Maria BC-Spike Field
A beautiful album and while melancholy, it is a slow burn that is worth repeat listens. An angelic voice with acoustic guitar closely mic’d and ethereal swirls of electronics in a ghostly setting make this album a great pick for the winter season.

14.Sonic Youth-Live in Brooklyn NY
One of the greatest live performances from one of the seminal and most influential indie rock/noise bands of our time. Great energy throughout! Dont miss this gem.

15.Dorothy Carter-Wailee Wailee
This is an old-new album. This was a vinyl crate diggers dream find once upon a time. It is now finally released to the masses and this is honestly what the world needs right now. A genuine gifted spirit that gave to her community and poured herself into her music. This is true art, craft of her instrument and a masterpiece of an album. This should not be missed.

16.Julie Byrne-The Greater Wings
One of if not my favorite voices in this genre or any for that matter. Her voice is so captivating and engaging that I find it hard from the moment I push play not to be pulled in for the entire album. Great production and mastering here. A truly breathtaking album.

17.Narrow Head-Moments of Clarity
A brilliant heavy album that reminds me of so many other bands but still strictly there own sound. If you like heavily distorted guitars and deftones-esque breakdowns, this album is up your alley.

18.Olimpia Splendid-2
Angular rock from the most rad rock album I have heard this year! I wish there were more songs! I cant wait to hear more from these amazing ladies! Angular no wave that is completely compelling and addictive.

19.Silicone Prairie-Vol. II
If you like weirdo rock a la Ariel Pink’s earlier albums that were obvious R. Stevie Moore love letters then this is your jam. It is Lo-fi weirdo art rock. There are so many moments of greatness on this album if you let yourself get past the recording as its supposed to sound that way. I personally love it and cant wait for more from this Kansas City band.

20.Sweeping Promises-Good Living is Coming For You
Glorious lo-fi power pop/punk that recalls the girl groups of the 60’s. Another surprise for me this year as I am generally not drawn to catchy punk music however this is done to my tastes i.e. grimy, lo fi sticky sweet with a new wave twist. And yes its supposed to sound like this!

R&B/Hip-Hop/Rap

21.Niecy Blues-Exit Simulation

This is one of my most favorite albums this year. If you love lo-fi soundscapes and vocals a wash with reverb a la ‘grouper’, love r&b and have a taste for something that is different and takes time to encompass you? This is it! This toes the line of traditional R&B being more experimental in nature.

22.L’Rain-I Killed Your Dog Runner up Album of the Year
Her best yet! Every song is a journey and yet the album flows together as a fluid whole. Deserves repeat listens and upon those listens this album blooms into pure bliss! Her vocals are on full display and wonderfully portrayed. This was a potential album of the year for me! Runner up for sure!!

23.Armand Hammer-We buy diabetic test strips
This one took some time to grow on me, but man! this is my favorite hip-hop/ rap album in almost a decade. Its a statement and a very unique (from my experience) rap album when it comes to beats. Some are drumless more airy and synth laden with liquid smooth flows over the top. When the beats and percussion do hit they indeed hit so good. I am truly impressed by this album. Its a modern art piece and as I said previously, A Statement!

24.Liv.e-Girl in the Half Pearl
Another experimental RnB album that is playful, serious and sincere all the same time. Many elements of sound that mesh together for one of the best in its genre.

Classical

25.Roger Eno-The Skies, they shift like Chords
An emotional album that transcends space and time. Roger Eno builds an ethereal sound universe with depth and emotion. This is a classical album in the sense that it uses classical instrumentation but I would call it more of a meditative soundscape conveying a thousand moments in the span of a few minutes.

26.Hauschka-Philanthropy
This is quite the album, each song is different from the next, some being highly dynamic structures of PRaT and others being more chilled/ambient works. This album is a favorite because I always discover something new with each listen. It is an album that is as adventurous as it is restless but will reward you in spades.

Jazz

27.Titanic-Vidrio

An incredible jazz album with the help of one of my all time favorite vocalists Arooj Aftab. A bit avant garde and experimental but completely engaging.

28.Jonah Yano-Portrait of a Dog
One of my most listened to jazz albums this year, Jonah is backed by badbadnotgood on this record and its a thrilling album full of wonderful moments that to me brings a new focus to the jazz genre.

29.JSPHYNX-Reflex
UK Jazz is on fire this year with Alpha Mist, Jaimie Branch, Yussef Dayes, etc. releasing amazing new albums and either of those albums deserves a spot on this list but at the end of the day, this album is what I kept going back to. This is jazz at its most youthful, modern and eclectic. A must hear!

30.The Necks-Travel
Long form jazz trio at is very best! These guys are at the top of the game. A very measured and extended listen but it is very rewarding.

31.Mary Lattimore-Goodbye, Hotel Arkada
My favorite harpist album this year and there were several great ones. This one tops my list for its emotional and introspective nature. This is not your typical jazz harp album, neither would I call it spiritual. Its more of an atmosphere of hope and longing imbued by her beautiful instrument.

32.Fabiano do Nascimento-Mundo Solo
A prolific artist that has released some wonderful material over the years, but this sees Fabiano at his most creative and adventurous incorporating textures and loops into his solo classical flamenco style guitar playing. A truly gratifying take on a solo jazz instrumental album.

I hope Ya'll Enjoy!! I tried to provide links but head-fi's whacky link implementation messed it up, so no links, apologies I tried! :) Peace and Love, Jeremy
Happy New Year, buddy.

This post is legend.

Dec 31, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #76,218 of 87,695
Congratulations! Will this be available for a demo at CJ NYC and a Watercooler tour via @Rockwell75 ?
Thanks! Unfortunately not if January. I am still prototyping the watch and comes in a box set. I need a few more months on the watch. But I am only making 15 of each of which half is already assigned. It’s a personal project which I want to spend time to perfect and that’s it. I am making it close to costs. It comes with a personal manual to explain all the components used and why. Hopefully some people get some enjoyment from it 🙏

Dec 31, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #76,220 of 87,695
Thanks! Unfortunately not if January.
CJ NYC begins March 9th, would be great for your iem to have a presence there and kick off a Watercooler Tour right after the show ends.

Dec 31, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #76,221 of 87,695
Thanks! Unfortunately not if January. I am still prototyping the watch and comes in a box set. I need a few more months on the watch. But I am only making 15 of each of which half is already assigned. It’s a personal project which I want to spend time to perfect and that’s it. I am making it close to costs. It comes with a personal manual to explain all the components used and why. Hopefully some people get some enjoyment from it 🙏
All the best. Looking forward to know more details along with the price

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #76,223 of 87,695
Happy-New-Year-2023-PNG-Graphics-44938589-1-580x387.png

23 iems that stood out to me in 2023:

Note: This list is subjective and biased towards my preferences. The order can also shift depending on music genres. It's sorted based on enjoyment factoring tonality, timbre and technicalities. I tend to favour natural, euphonic sounding sets.

1. Canpur 622B
2. Subtonic Storm
3. XE6
4. Amber Pearl
5. Elysian X
6. Mentor
7. Duality
8. Ronin
9. Traillii
10. Fei Wan
11. Forte Blanc
12. Grand Maestro
13. Annihilator 21
14. Impact
15. Diva 21
16. MSE
17. Jewel
18. Phonix LE
19. Phonix OG
20. Canpur CP45E
21. RN6
22. Dita Perpetua
23. Oriolus Monachaa

IEM of the year: Canpur 622B.

Messenger_creation_2f01d257-bea7-4491-b0f2-ac95567aed26.jpeg

Wishlist for 2024: A complimentary basshead set like Duality to differentiate from 622B / XE6.

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #76,224 of 87,695
Hello everyone the time has come to tally up the results and declare the Watercooler 2023 IEM of the year. There were 164 participants in all:

@-rowan-
@8481
@Acts
@aaf evo
@AAI19
@AboveNBeyond
@AEIOU9
@Alexzander
@Altes
@Andricop
@audionewbi
@Auricon
@AxLvR
@Badlands
@Bax1020
@BeardSplinter
@berger
@bgillis
@bigbeans
@BLitt
@blotmouse
@BlueA
@bmichels
@bossfan48009
@Bret Halford
@briantrinh86
@btwine
@CharlyBrown
@circafreedom
@Ckro
@claud W
@Click
@Crazeee
@Damage
@Damz87
@DAS OHR
@ddlo
@Deezel177
@DenverW
@dkar
@dleblanc343
@Dragonite820
@drftr
@dsherrick
@DunkFealer
@emdeevee
@Erkil
@fejnomit
@Ferdinando1968
@fevers end
@fiascogarcia
@FooFighter
@freeryder05
@FunnyMark
@Garney
@gLer
@grumpy213
@gryphonos
@hariznordin
@HiFiHawaii808
@iDesign
@illsque
@jambul
@JaviGCalderoni
@jazzyja42
@jdan1457
@jmo04
@Junmoe62
@jwilliamhurst
@katzuhiroo
@kevin638880
@KhunChang
@Kiats
@kokokab
@KrólArtur
@KuroKitsu
@Leonarfd
@Leviathant
@leylandi
@LFC_SL
@linux4ever
@lllEvo
@maegnificant
@MaggotBrain
@main character
@MatW
@McCol
@Meejay
@MichRT
@monduvo
@named name
@Natesdailies
@navysteve232
@Neweymatt
@nihalsharma
@nil
@nocturne19
@OhmsClaw
@Ojisan
@oliveradr
@OneEyedHito
@osocan
@pankaj1431
@pasul
@PeacockObscura
@peppy
@phamanhduc1011
@phiemon
@pradiptacr7
@praveenp
@psklrdk
@ranfan
@RBYRER
@Rockwell75
@roeschel
@RonaldS86
@rootsd
@royalemint
@RTodd
@Sajid Amit
@Scuba Devils
@SCYJ
@Seiji
@ShaneyMac
@Sifo
@Simpeler
@slumberman
@Smirk 24
@somnarium
@soundblast75
@stacey
@SteffSergeant
@stefzulj
@stersa
@Stu Paddasso
@Tex Irie
@TheMiddleSky
@theveterans
@timeslip
@tjzurlaaa
@tma6
@tombrisbane
@trbo996
@Tristy
@twister6
@tyrael
@ulverr
@vaporsynthwave
@Visceral
@Visveswaran Umashankar
@vladzakhar
@Voltriant
@Wildcatsare1
@wolfstar76
@wutthikorn
@Xdrixn
@Xinlisupreme
@yaps66
@Yifang
@Zachik
@Zaghamkarim
@zeloutre
@zikarus
@Zmue

As a refresher there were two brackets, a sub $2k bracket and an elite ($2k+) bracket. Each person got to pick a top 3 in each bracket, ranked in order, with their first choice being awarded 5 points, the second 3 points and the third 1 point.

Final standings, mid-fi bracket:

Winner: NightJar Singularity - 224 points

It was no contest for the Singularity, which took a commanding lead early on and never let up. Not bad for a brand none of us had heard of this time last year. We are very excited to see what @Chang and co. have in store for us in 2024!

B017F966-335E-4C80-98C6-1B700721A58B.jpeg

Second place:

Campfire Audio Bonneville - 168 points

Props to the Bonneville for making an impressive debut for an IEM that basically premiered recently in SoCal. In my estimation this is one of CFA's most well rounded efforts to date and I expect its standing to only grow.

447A3905-26F5-4E58-9754-D9D833E22016.JPEG

Tied for third:

Unique Melody Mest MKiii - 159 points
Elysian Acoustic Labs Diva - 150 points

The UM MEST Mkiii and Elysian Diva are here tied for third place.

Symphonium Crimson - 96 points
FatFreq Maestro SE - 83 points
Bellos Audio X4 - 58 points
Penon Quattro - 58 points
7th Acoustics Supernova - 49 points
FatFreq Scarlet Mini - 48 points
Thieaudio V16 Divinity - 34 points
Aur Audio Neon Pro - 29 points
Sound Rhyme - DTE900 - 28 points
Campfire Audio Cascara - 21 points
Sound Rhyme SR8 - 21 points
Aur Audio Aurora - 16 points
Night Oblivion Butastur - 3 points

Final standings, elite bracket:

Winner: Fir Audio Radon 6 - 227 points

As in the mid-fi bracket it was no contest here-- the Fir Radon 6 clearly won the day in this poll...and frankly those following our polls all year could have seen this coming. The Rn6 is one of those IEMs that, compared to some of the others, might seem almost plain-- but don't be deceived the Rn6 is a very compelling package and, while there are other IEMs that excel it in various specific ways it's probably the closest thing to an "all things to a large-as-possible number of people" that there is on the TOTL landscape right now and in that light it's hard to imagine a more deserving choice for the Watercooler 2023 IEM of the year. Big ups to @bogdan belonozhko and co for winning this award 2 years straight.

D9B2E49C-5DDB-4070-A3F4-7795A5E3E2FB 2.jpeg

Second place:

Elysian Acoustic Labs Annihilator - 149 points

Coming in confidently in second place is the Elysian Acoustic Labs Annihilator 2023. "Anni" has been on the scene for some time but recent revisions plus a partnership with EA that has brought some organizational saavy to Lee Quan Min's endeavours has seen that the Annihilator has had an unprecedent amount of exposure this past year and as a result it has become a sudden and fond favorite of many Watercoolers in recent months...and deservedly so.

39E3CCA9-287D-4B25-A9EF-2C60EDFFFDA7.jpeg

Runners up...

Campfire Audio Trifecta - 127 points
Subtonic Storm - 125 points

Unique Melody Amber Pearl - 123 points

Coming in, basically tied for third place, are the Trifecta, STORM and Amber Pearl. Trifecta and Storm have been neck-neck in a number of recent polls, which is all the more interesting given that they are pretty much polar opposites in terms of their sonic ideal and presentation. STORM from its inception was designed to be the ultimate reference monitor and it manifests as a pillar of transparency and accuracy. The Trifecta, on the other hand, stands as the ultimate in bombastic pleasure, a bass driven magnum opus. Neither are likely to be topped on their own terms any time soon and their being ranked so highly and similarly is a testimony to the varied tastes of this community and one of the reasons I love it so much. Amber Pearl, like the Bonneville in the other bracket has made a huge debute for an IEM that only just came out. In this case it's all the more incredible given it's jaw dropping cost. UM clearly did something right with this one.

A6D7EF4F-CF80-482C-8ABD-04F9DD436B2A.JPEG

Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor - 110 points
Aroma Audio Fei Wan - 70 points
AK x VE Aura - 61 points
Noble Audio Viking - 58 points
FatFreq Grand Maestro - 46 points
Canpur CP622b - 45 points
Dita Perpetua - 45 points
Noble Audio Ronin - 43 points
Empire Ears Raven - 43 points
Vision Ears VEX - 41 points
Kinera Loki - 30 points

Thanks everyone for participating and much respect to the Fir Audio Rn6 and NightJar Singularity as the 2023 Watercooler IEMs of the year.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #76,225 of 87,695
Hello everyone the time has come to tally up the results and declare the Watercooler 2023 IEM of the year. There were 164 participants in all:

@-rowan-
@8481
@Acts
@aaf evo
@AAI19
@AboveNBeyond
@AEIOU9
@Alexzander
@Altes
@Andricop
@audionewbi
@Auricon
@AxLvR
@Badlands
@Bax1020
@BeardSplinter
@berger
@bgillis
@bigbeans
@BLitt
@blotmouse
@BlueA
@bmichels
@bossfan48009
@Bret Halford
@briantrinh86
@btwine
@CharlyBrown
@circafreedom
@Ckro
@claud W
@Click
@Crazeee
@Damage
@Damz87
@DAS OHR
@ddlo
@Deezel177
@DenverW
@dkar
@dleblanc343
@Dragonite820
@drftr
@dsherrick
@DunkFealer
@emdeevee
@Erkil
@fejnomit
@Ferdinando1968
@fevers end
@fiascogarcia
@FooFighter
@freeryder05
@FunnyMark
@Garney
@gLer
@grumpy213
@gryphonos
@hariznordin
@HiFiHawaii808
@iDesign
@illsque
@jambul
@JaviGCalderoni
@jazzyja42
@jdan1457
@jmo04
@Junmoe62
@jwilliamhurst
@katzuhiroo
@kevin638880
@KhunChang
@Kiats
@kokokab
@KrólArtur
@KuroKitsu
@Leonarfd
@Leviathant
@leylandi
@LFC_SL
@linux4ever
@lllEvo
@maegnificant
@MaggotBrain
@main character
@MatW
@McCol
@Meejay
@MichRT
@monduvo
@named name
@Natesdailies
@navysteve232
@Neweymatt
@nihalsharma
@nil
@nocturne19
@OhmsClaw
@Ojisan
@oliveradr
@OneEyedHito
@osocan
@pankaj1431
@pasul
@PeacockObscura
@peppy
@phamanhduc1011
@phiemon
@pradiptacr7
@praveenp
@psklrdk
@ranfan
@RBYRER
@Rockwell75
@roeschel
@RonaldS86
@rootsd
@royalemint
@RTodd
@Sajid Amit
@Scuba Devils
@SCYJ
@Seiji
@ShaneyMac
@Sifo
@Simpeler
@slumberman
@Smirk 24
@somnarium
@soundblast75
@stacey
@SteffSergeant
@stefzulj
@stersa
@Stu Paddasso
@Tex Irie
@TheMiddleSky
@theveterans
@timeslip
@tjzurlaaa
@tma6
@tombrisbane
@trbo996
@Tristy
@twister6
@tyrael
@ulverr
@vaporsynthwave
@Visceral
@Visveswaran Umashankar
@vladzakhar
@Voltriant
@Wildcatsare1
@wolfstar76
@wutthikorn
@Xdrixn
@Xinlisupreme
@yaps66
@Yifang
@Zachik
@Zaghamkarim
@zeloutre
@zikarus
@Zmue

As a refresher there were two brackets, a sub $2k bracket and an elite ($2k+) bracket. Each person got to pick a top 3 in each bracket, ranked in order, with their first choice in each bracket being awarded 5 points, the second 3 points and the third 1 point.

It was no contest for the Singularity, which took a commanding lead early on and never let up. Not bad for a brand none of us had heard of this time last year. We are very excited to see what @Chang and co. have in store for us in 2024!

B017F966-335E-4C80-98C6-1B700721A58B.jpeg

Runners up:

The 3 above are each impressive in their own right and given their proximity this could count as something close to a tie for second place, though the Singularity was the clear winner. Special shoutout to the Bonneville here for making an impressive debut for an IEM that basically premiered recently in SoCal. I expect its standing to only grow.

As in the mid-fi bracket it was no contest here-- the Fir Radon 6 clearly won the day in this poll...and frankly those following our polls all year could have seen this coming. The Rn6 is one of those IEMs that, compared to some of the others, might seem almost plain-- but don't be deceived the Rn6 is a very compelling package and, while there are other IEMs that excel it in various specific ways it's probably the closest thing to "all things to a large-as-possible number of people" that there is on the TOTL landscape right now and in that light it's hard to imagine a more deserving choice for the Watercooler 2024 IEM of the year. Big ups to @bogdan belonozhko and co for winning IEM of the year 2 years straight.

D9B2E49C-5DDB-4070-A3F4-7795A5E3E2FB 2.jpeg

Second place:

Coming in confidently in second place is the Elysian Acoustic Labs Annihilator 2023. "Anni" has been on the scene for some time but recent revisions plus a partnership with EA that has brought some organizational saavy to Lee Quan Min's endeavours has seen that the Annihilator has had an unprecedent amount of exposure in recent years and as a result it has becom a fond favorite of many Watercoolers in recent months...and deservedly so.

39E3CCA9-287D-4B25-A9EF-2C60EDFFFDA7.jpeg

Runners up...

Coming in, basically tied for third place, are the Trifecta, STORM and Amber Pearl. Trifecta and Storm have been neck-neck in a number of recent polls, which is all the more interesting given that they are pretty much polar opposites in terms of their sonic ideal and presentation. To me their being ranked so highly is a testimony to the varied tastes of this community and one of the reasons I love it so much. Amber Pearl, like the Bonneville in the other bracket has made a huge debute for an IEM that only just came out. In this case it's all the more incredible given it's jaw dropping cost. UM clearly did something right with this one.

AK x VE Aura - 61 points
Kinera Loki - 30 points

Thanks everyone for participating and much respect to the Fir Audio Rn6 and NightJar Singularity as the 2023 Watercooler IEMs of the year.
In a way, it's not surprising to see the winners

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #76,226 of 87,695
In a way, it's not surprising to see the winners

None of the placements should be all that surprising to anyone following our polls and community sentiment generally this past year. Which is all good...consistency is a good thing.

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #76,227 of 87,695

@-rowan-
@8481
@Acts
@aaf evo
@AAI19
@AboveNBeyond
@AEIOU9
@Alexzander
@Altes
@Andricop
@audionewbi
@Auricon
@AxLvR
@Badlands
@Bax1020
@BeardSplinter
@berger
@bgillis
@bigbeans
@BLitt
@blotmouse
@BlueA
@bmichels
@bossfan48009
@Bret Halford
@briantrinh86
@btwine
@CharlyBrown
@circafreedom
@Ckro
@claud W
@Click
@Crazeee
@Damage
@Damz87
@DAS OHR
@ddlo
@Deezel177
@DenverW
@dkar
@dleblanc343
@Dragonite820
@drftr
@dsherrick
@DunkFealer
@emdeevee
@Erkil
@fejnomit
@Ferdinando1968
@fevers end
@fiascogarcia
@FooFighter
@freeryder05
@FunnyMark
@Garney
@gLer
@grumpy213
@gryphonos
@hariznordin
@HiFiHawaii808
@iDesign
@illsque
@jambul
@JaviGCalderoni
@jazzyja42
@jdan1457
@jmo04
@Junmoe62
@jwilliamhurst
@katzuhiroo
@kevin638880
@KhunChang
@Kiats
@kokokab
@KrólArtur
@KuroKitsu
@Leonarfd
@Leviathant
@leylandi
@LFC_SL
@linux4ever
@lllEvo
@maegnificant
@MaggotBrain
@main character
@MatW
@McCol
@Meejay
@MichRT
@monduvo
@named name
@Natesdailies
@navysteve232
@Neweymatt
@nihalsharma
@nil
@nocturne19
@OhmsClaw
@Ojisan
@oliveradr
@OneEyedHito
@osocan
@pankaj1431
@pasul
@PeacockObscura
@peppy
@phamanhduc1011
@phiemon
@pradiptacr7
@praveenp
@psklrdk
@ranfan
@RBYRER
@Rockwell75
@roeschel
@RonaldS86
@rootsd
@royalemint
@RTodd
@Sajid Amit
@Scuba Devils
@SCYJ
@Seiji
@ShaneyMac
@Sifo
@Simpeler
@slumberman
@Smirk 24
@somnarium
@soundblast75
@stacey
@SteffSergeant
@stefzulj
@stersa
@Stu Paddasso
@Tex Irie
@TheMiddleSky
@theveterans
@timeslip
@tjzurlaaa
@tma6
@tombrisbane
@trbo996
@Tristy
@twister6
@tyrael
@ulverr
@vaporsynthwave
@Visceral
@Visveswaran Umashankar
@vladzakhar
@Voltriant
@Wildcatsare1
@wolfstar76
@wutthikorn
@Xdrixn
@Xinlisupreme
@yaps66
@Yifang
@Zachik
@Zaghamkarim
@zeloutre
@zikarus
@Zmue

As a refresher there were two brackets, a sub $2k bracket and an elite ($2k+) bracket. Each person got to pick a top 3 in each bracket, ranked in order, with their first choice being awarded 5 points, the second 3 points and the third 1 point.

Runners up:

The 3 above are each impressive in their own right and given their proximity this could count as something close to a tie for second place, though the Singularity was the clear winner. Special shoutout to the Bonneville here for making an impressive debut for an IEM that basically premiered recently in SoCal. I expect its standing to only grow.

As in the mid-fi bracket it was no contest here-- the Fir Radon 6 clearly won the day in this poll...and frankly those following our polls all year could have seen this coming. The Rn6 is one of those IEMs that, compared to some of the others, might seem almost plain-- but don't be deceived the Rn6 is a very compelling package and, while there are other IEMs that excel it in various specific ways it's probably the closest thing to an "all things to a large-as-possible number of people" that there is on the TOTL landscape right now and in that light it's hard to imagine a more deserving choice for the Watercooler 2024 IEM of the year. Big ups to @bogdan belonozhko and co for winning this award 2 years straight.

Second place:

Coming in confidently in second place is the Elysian Acoustic Labs Annihilator 2023. "Anni" has been on the scene for some time but recent revisions plus a partnership with EA that has brought some organizational saavy to Lee Quan Min's endeavours has seen that the Annihilator has had an unprecedent amount of exposure in recent years and as a result it has becom a fond favorite of many Watercoolers in recent months...and deservedly so.

Runners up...

Coming in, basically tied for third place, are the Trifecta, STORM and Amber Pearl. Trifecta and Storm have been neck-neck in a number of recent polls, which is all the more interesting given that they are pretty much polar opposites in terms of their sonic ideal and presentation. STORM from its inception was designed to be the ultimate reference monitor. The Trifecta, on the other hand, stands as the ultimate in bombastic pleasure, a bass driven magnum opus. Neither are likely to be topped on their own terms any time soon and their being ranked so highly and similarly is a testimony to the varied tastes of this community and one of the reasons I love it so much. Amber Pearl, like the Bonneville in the other bracket has made a huge debute for an IEM that only just came out. In this case it's all the more incredible given it's jaw dropping cost. UM clearly did something right with this one.

AK x VE Aura - 61 points
Kinera Loki - 30 points

2023 was a good year for the Annihilator, also winning Headfonia’s Editor’s Choice Award:
https://www.headfonia.com/headfonia-2023-awards-part-1/2/

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #76,228 of 87,695
Happy New Year, Coolers! I wish you all a happy and healthy 2024! And, of course, may you thoroughly enjoy your journey down the audiophile rabbit hole 😄

2023 was a remarkable year during which I decided to splurge my hard-earned cash on immersing myself in the world of music. I was fortunate enough to finally receive my long-awaited Noble Prestige Nodachi and MuZiGe just before the start of 2024 (Got them from Andrew@Musicteck, kudos to their excellent service as always), which marked the end of my purchases for the year. These headphones not only sound incredible but also boast a stunning appearance. I am truly grateful to the one and only Wizard for creating them! They offer a distinct experience compared to my other collections, making them a valuable addition for enjoying specific genres. I will provide an update once I've had the opportunity to spend some quality listening time with them.

IMG_2757.jpeg
IMG_2753.jpeg

2024 resolution: Control my purchases to not to expand beyond the 6 slot Vannuys case😅

IMG_2891.jpeg

Stay safe and happy listening guys!
Stunning craftsmanship.

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #76,229 of 87,695
Ah yes. What do I regret (non-audio related)? Getting into the watch rabbit hole. Well, kinda yes regret and no regret. You get the idea.

IMG_2322.jpeg
Wishing you all a prosperous new year! Will be trying the Raven to kick off 2024 when I am back to HK.

Oh wow, class.

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #76,230 of 87,695
Demoing is underrated!

drftr
To me, this is the quote of 2023...in so many ways!!!!

Cheers, @drftr , you're 💯 % right, demos, which can last for days, months, or years, depending on the decision you're making. Demo'ing is the key. Happy New Year, my friends and fellow nutcases😊!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back