The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 1, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #76,336 of 88,587
Happy New Year everyone. First question of the year.

What products are you most looking forward to hearing and/or buying in 2024?

Here is what is on my watch list:

1. Luxury and Precision LP7 ti DAP
2. Elysian Acoustic Labs Dio IEM
3. iBasso PB5 Osprey portable amp
4. PMG Audio APX IEM
5. NightJar Duality IEM
6. ATH AWKG Naru headphone
7. Headamp Grand Cayman amp
8. ZMF Caldera Closed headphone.

This will obviously change over the weeks ahead and in advance of CanJam NYC.

1) Stoked to hear the Dio-- really hoping it will be in NYC.
2) Similarly looking forward to hearing the APX in NYC.
3) The Sub $1k Elysian IEM coming soon (name escapes me again...lol)...I'll probably blind buy it.
4) Was going to blind buy the Dita Project M but reports of it being upper mid heavy and suited for Asian Pop have put me off blind buying...stoked to demo.
5) This bad boy from Ibasso:

Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 2.22.15 PM.png

Intrigued by the CS dacs (similar to my SR35). Hoping they don’t drop the ball on battery life.
6) Demoing any of the new LP daps would be a treat.
7) Anything new that Oriolus, VE or Campfire cooks up.

Jan 1, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #76,339 of 88,587
:star: State of the Collection:star:

Happy New Year everyone! 2023 has been an exciting one in the HeadFi space. From establishing connections with Headfi’ers in person at CanJam SoCal, to witnessing some exciting releases such as PMG Audio’s APX and Cayin/UM Amber Pearl collaboration. As we head into 2024, CanJam NYC is shaping up to the greatest CanJam yet, and I look forward to what this fun event brings and whatever gear may greet us this year.

Over the NYE weekend, I went hiking with a friend in the Los Padres National Forest, this was one of the tougher physical feats I’ve done in a long time even though it was only 8 miles. I will need to purchase some walking sticks, dedicated trail walking boots, and water pack. Slinging a Dell laptop bag with water bottle adds needless counter weights when hopping between rocks during river crossings. I’ve included some photos of the great escape and am grateful for the treasure that are USA's National Forests and National Parks. As I write this, body aching and perpetually thirsty, I am excited to go again. On the way back from the hike, we ended up at a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, where coincidentally, a Cars and Coffee meetup was taking place. Old friends were reconnecting after the holidays, catching up on whatever was missed while other enthusiasts were peering over various bonnets, mildly intrigued to see what mechanical marvel lied within. Watching this behavioral interplay, I am reminded of the Watercooler community and gathered some inspiration for this post. Instead of a car to showcase at our perpetual ‘meet’ (the Watercooler Thread), I will showcase my IEMs to mark the beginning of the year and index where I am in the headfi journey. A tentative title, State of the Collection.

IMG_2029.jpeg

Green Eletech Companion Case
Campfire Supermoon, Campfire Bonneville, Campfire Equinox, Empire Legend X, Elysian DIVA, Fir VxV

Blue Eletech Companion Case
Campfire Trifecta, Aroma Audio Jewel, FIR XE6, DITA Perpetua

Unique Melody x Van Nuys Case
UM Indigo, UM x Cayin Amber Pearl, UM Fusang, UM MEXT

Pics from the Hike:
IMG_2034.jpeg

IMG_2033.jpeg

IMG_2035.jpeg
Take care and be careful on your trip, my friend 😁
Happy New Year to you too 🎉
1. HiBy R8 II. It's finally time for me to get a proper full-sized DAP, and this one ticks all the boxes for me.
2. Elysian Dio. Something tells me the hype is very real about this one. I love my Anni, an upgraded version is likely end-game for me. Availability could be an issue tho.
3. Nightjar Duality. Still haven't found a single/all-DD set that clicks with me, I'm wondering if this could finally be the one...
4. FatFreq Scarlet Mini. ...or maybe this one. For the fun factor at least.
5. Aroma/Oriolus. Haven't had the chance yet to hear anything from either of these two, maybe that will finally change this year.
6. ZMF Caldera/Atrium. I heard these both at a show last year, less than ideal conditions for this type of HP. I'll need to hear them both again to figure out which I might want to pick up.

And I'm sure there's heaps more I'll learn about from all of the CJ impressions from you all, really looking forward to and appreciate your sharing!
What do you mean by that? I mean about finally proper full sized DAP 🤔
About ZMF Caldera, there will be a closed back version of it incoming 😁

Jan 1, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #76,340 of 88,587
My first trip on 2024 is to go to Jakarta to do some MRI for my aching knee. 6 AM here and I'm hungry as hell, so I ordered some instant noodles and black coffee while listening to a great album recommended by our friend @Scuba Devils with my Fei Wan ☺️
I hope this year will be full of blessings and good toys 😁
P_20240102_061033.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #76,341 of 88,587
I have watched this thread for awhile and envy some of the things y’all have gotten to listen to and respect the perspective some of you can bring ti this hobby. I’d like to ask something.

I am a portable listener and will be for the foreseeable future. I don’t have a desktop set up and my lifestyle isn’t suited to be able to use one much if I did.

I have tried a couple low level daps (ibasso DX170 and Tempotec V6) to see if they are portable enough and work well enough for my use case and to see if I like the sound better than my BTR7 through Bluetooth. If I did like them I would upgrade later to something “better.” I’m sorry but I just can’t pick up a big difference between wired through these daps and Bluetooth from btr7 and especially on the move not doing critical listening. I am a Spotify streamer and like the versatility to be able to switch songs from my watch through the phone app and not have to worry about pulling out another big device from my pocket. I also have the Tempotec v3 on the way for portable Bluetooth use.

So all that said what I am looking to do is find my endgame when taking into consideration my use case. I do spend some time at home where I can dial into the critical listening a little more but maybe not enough to justify such a huge price tag in the multi thousands. Something tells me I don’t need a multi thousand dollar set because maybe I won’t be able to see its potential without a desktop setup? Is this true? Maybe it isn’t.

My question is this: how much should I spend before I may start seeing massive diminishing returns considering my setup?

I am not a wealthy person so I would like to spend up to $800 and be done with it. Some sets I am looking at are Soundrhyme DTE900 and SR8 (a brand known to have incredible value) or AUR Audio Neon Pro or Ascension. I like a balanced/energetic signature with lush vocals that aren’t too recessed.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Happy New Year everyone!!

DTE900, SR8 and Neon Pro are certainly sets that sit in that zone before stepping into the realm of diminishing returns… I’m sure Ascension too, but I haven’t heard it. I’d probably take SR8 out of your list as definitely not a set that I’d describe as energetic - it is balanced but a much more relaxed signature. Both DTE900 and Neon Pro tick the exciting box - the former for me was a touch too energetic and somewhat harsh at times, Neon Pro on the other hand was too uncomfortable after longer sessions due to the shape/size and lack of vents… these are both subjective issues but just to flag. In terms of recessed vocals, I don’t think that should be a problem with either but someone like @Leonarfd and @Xinlisupreme might be able to chime in here.

Jan 1, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #76,342 of 88,587
We were asked to post impressions of the new EA Code cables. I wrote these notes before seeing the production announcement.

I’ve had a chance to demo the new EA prototype cables. Thanks, @Sebastien Chiu , for the opportunity! Quick note, I had no previous knowledge of the cables regarding materials used or where they fit in the EA family of cables. I wanted to summarize my impressions. First of all, both cables are a bit on the hefty side. They’re not super supple, and they are slighty larger than the Fusion1, which I do own. Still, they have enough flexibility that they should be of acceptable comfort for most users. As for sound impressions, I tested with Amber Pearl, Traillii, Rn6, and Nostalgia Camelot, so I had a mix of DD, BA with BCD, all BA, and Fir’s DD kinetic bass. Also, I lean towards Jazz and fusion, so no heavy metal or edm in the mix. Sorry! Of course, this is all my opinion only, YMMV, and so forth!

Initial impression will focus on bass, which is the first thing you notice when you hear either cable. They both have very dynamic and punchy bass, with very good decay and realism. Both sets will pull out all the bass that your iem can offer, regardless of the driver type. They are both outstanding, but in different ways.

Blue cable

This is the livelier cable of the two, and in a good way. Lots of bass! And it’s mostly in the sub bass, which is taut and deep and plentiful. It’s visceral yet controlled; you get the right amount of pluck on the strings on a stand up bass or a nice growl with electric bass. It takes a bit to adjust to the bass impact, but after I did, I didn’t feel that it was overly done, and came to appreciate how it created a more dynamic stage for the iem. I immediately noticed that it added control to the Amber Pearls bass, which is plentiful if slightly bloomy for a BA bass. The BCD must respond really well with this cable. As I said, I didn’t notice the bass being overwhelming, it’s more an anchor that adds texture and a grandness of sorts to the overall sound. Mid bass steps back slightly to transition smoothly up to mids, where there is a slight scoop in the lower mids, which gives the mids a touch of a neutral sound. Nothing extreme, but I noticed it with the Traillii, which has that same scoop, leaving me thinking this cable might not be best fit with it. From mids upward through treble, it is balanced and cohesive, maybe slightly above neutral, but clear, precise, with a natural timbre. The clarity is excellent! Vocals are not recessed or forward, just centerstage as you would want. Upper treble has a nice sparkle, a bit more sparkle than the Purple cable, but no sign of sibilance. Soundstage is nice and wide, and won’t bottleneck the staging your iem presents. I would absolutely buy this cable for the Amber Pear, in particular.

Purple Cable

My first impression of this cable was that it reminded me of Eletech’s SOA, only with stronger bass notes, and that’s a pretty good complement right out of the gate. It is smooth, transparent, and just lets the strong points of your iem shine through. It doesn’t have the sub bass of the blue cable, but might have better overall balance top to bottom than the blue. Bass is more focused on mid bass with this cable, but as with the blue, it’s very controlled with good timbre. I think the mid bass and lower mids are slightly elevated and tends to give purple a slightly warmer sound. It also makes the mids sound a tiny bit recessed up to the upper mid and lower treble, where there seems to be a slight rise, giving tenor and female vocals nice positioning. Similarly, Toms and piano sound natural, clear and precise. Upper treble is smoother than the blue cable, but still very detailed (somewhat like I would describe the upper treble on the Orphy). Soundstage is a tiny bit smaller than the blue cable, but still has good width, and maybe a bit better depth than the blue. This could be a fantastic all rounder, and of my iems, one that I would be happy with on the Traillii, Rn6, and Camelot.

I have no idea what the price point on either of these cables is, but I’ve come away very impressed with both. To recap, they both really shine in the bass department. Bass is controlled and with good timbre and decay. Yet for all the bass these cables present, they are both extremely balanced and very cohesive; you don’t feel like you’re missing any part of the music. Both cables have a clear, natural timbre, and don’t overly color the flavor of your DAP and iem. Very nice!

EA demo 1.jpgEA demo 2.jpg
EA demo 3.jpg

Jan 1, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #76,343 of 88,587
My first trip on 2024 is to go to Jakarta to do some MRI for my aching knee. 6 AM here and I'm hungry as hell, so I ordered some instant noodles and black coffee while listening to a great album recommended by our friend @Scuba Devils with my Fei Wan ☺️
I hope this year will be full of blessings and good toys 😁
P_20240102_061033.jpg

Best of luck with the MRI and great to hear you are enjoying Dream Dolphin!

Jan 1, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #76,344 of 88,587
We were asked to post impressions of the new EA Code cables. I wrote these notes before seeing the production announcement.

I’ve had a chance to demo the new EA prototype cables. Thanks, @Sebastien Chiu , for the opportunity! Quick note, I had no previous knowledge of the cables regarding materials used or where they fit in the EA family of cables. I wanted to summarize my impressions. First of all, both cables are a bit on the hefty side. They’re not super supple, and they are slighty larger than the Fusion1, which I do own. Still, they have enough flexibility that they should be of acceptable comfort for most users. As for sound impressions, I tested with Amber Pearl, Traillii, Rn6, and Nostalgia Camelot, so I had a mix of DD, BA with BCD, all BA, and Fir’s DD kinetic bass. Also, I lean towards Jazz and fusion, so no heavy metal or edm in the mix. Sorry! Of course, this is all my opinion only, YMMV, and so forth!

Initial impression will focus on bass, which is the first thing you notice when you hear either cable. They both have very dynamic and punchy bass, with very good decay and realism. Both sets will pull out all the bass that your iem can offer, regardless of the driver type. They are both outstanding, but in different ways.

Blue cable

This is the livelier cable of the two, and in a good way. Lots of bass! And it’s mostly in the sub bass, which is taut and deep and plentiful. It’s visceral yet controlled; you get the right amount of pluck on the strings on a stand up bass or a nice growl with electric bass. It takes a bit to adjust to the bass impact, but after I did, I didn’t feel that it was overly done, and came to appreciate how it created a more dynamic stage for the iem. I immediately noticed that it added control to the Amber Pearls bass, which is plentiful if slightly bloomy for a BA bass. The BCD must respond really well with this cable. As I said, I didn’t notice the bass being overwhelming, it’s more an anchor that adds texture and a grandness of sorts to the overall sound. Mid bass steps back slightly to transition smoothly up to mids, where there is a slight scoop in the lower mids, which gives the mids a touch of a neutral sound. Nothing extreme, but I noticed it with the Traillii, which has that same scoop, leaving me thinking this cable might not be best fit with it. From mids upward through treble, it is balanced and cohesive, maybe slightly above neutral, but clear, precise, with a natural timbre. The clarity is excellent! Vocals are not recessed or forward, just centerstage as you would want. Upper treble has a nice sparkle, a bit more sparkle than the Purple cable, but no sign of sibilance. Soundstage is nice and wide, and won’t bottleneck the staging your iem presents. I would absolutely buy this cable for the Amber Pear, in particular.

Purple Cable

My first impression of this cable was that it reminded me of Eletech’s SOA, only with stronger bass notes, and that’s a pretty good complement right out of the gate. It is smooth, transparent, and just lets the strong points of your iem shine through. It doesn’t have the sub bass of the blue cable, but might have better overall balance top to bottom than the blue. Bass is more focused on mid bass with this cable, but as with the blue, it’s very controlled with good timbre. I think the mid bass and lower mids are slightly elevated and tends to give purple a slightly warmer sound. It also makes the mids sound a tiny bit recessed up to the upper mid and lower treble, where there seems to be a slight rise, giving tenor and female vocals nice positioning. Similarly, Toms and piano sound natural, clear and precise. Upper treble is smoother than the blue cable, but still very detailed (somewhat like I would describe the upper treble on the Orphy). Soundstage is a tiny bit smaller than the blue cable, but still has good width, and maybe a bit better depth than the blue. This could be a fantastic all rounder, and of my iems, one that I would be happy with on the Traillii, Rn6, and Camelot.

I have no idea what the price point on either of these cables is, but I’ve come away very impressed with both. To recap, they both really shine in the bass department. Bass is controlled and with good timbre and decay. Yet for all the bass these cables present, they are both extremely balanced and very cohesive; you don’t feel like you’re missing any part of the music. Both cables have a clear, natural timbre, and don’t overly color the flavor of your DAP and iem. Very nice!

EA demo 1.jpgEA demo 2.jpg
EA demo 3.jpg

Thank you for your impressions which aided in blind purchasing both CODE 24 (SPC, blue) and CODE 24C (all copper, purple LE of 500). Not sure when they're dispatching but excited to compare them with my CODE 23 and XE6 (23, 24) / RN6 (24C) / E12 (24C)

1704152349298.png

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #76,345 of 88,587

4. PMG Audio APX IEM
5. NightJar Duality IEM

Sure, I have a list, because there are so many good IEMs out there and new ones are being released all the time. But I’m leaning more towards stopping to further accumulate gear and focusing on enjoying the sizable collection I already own. Why don’t you join me, Jim? :)

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #76,346 of 88,587
Take care and be careful on your trip, my friend 😁
Happy New Year to you too 🎉

What do you mean by that? I mean about finally proper full sized DAP 🤔
About ZMF Caldera, there will be a closed back version of it incoming 😁
Only that I've resisted getting a flagship-level chonky DAP up til now as I never really saw the need. At home I've got a couple of desktop DAC/amp setups already (thanks COVID lockdowns!) and for on the go I've never wanted anything larger than the RS6.

Having heard what some of the bigger bois like the N30LE and M9+ can do at a meetup a few months ago, demoing the R6Pro2 just recently, and with the aggressive pricing of the R8 II it seems a no-brainer to me. By chance I've also just today received a demo R3 II, which on first listen is really quite good for its size/price, so I may go for HiBy at both ends of the size/weight spectrum.

Thanks for the heads-up on Caldera Closed, will add it to my list to demo in a few months.

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #76,347 of 88,587
Thank you for your impressions which aided in blind purchasing both CODE 24 (SPC, blue) and CODE 24C (all copper, purple LE of 500). Not sure when they're dispatching but excited to compare them with my CODE 23 and XE6 (23, 24) / RN6 (24C) / E12 (24C)

1704152349298.png
Bless your soul. There’s gotta be some trick I’m not privy to with the Code 23 because the ergonomics are just treacherous. Both these new cables are absolutely stunning to look at and have received some high praise. I joined the prototype tour so I’m excited for these cables to land at my door step. Hopefully they’ve figured out some magic shielding material. I’m the meantime, I will keep my code 23 in my truck in case I need to tow something.

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #76,348 of 88,587

4. PMG Audio APX IEM
5. NightJar Duality IEM

2. NightJar Duality IEM
3. Campfire Audio Trifecta
4. Canpur CP622B
5. Subtonic Storm

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #76,350 of 88,587
1. Elysian DIO
2. xMems IEM
3. UM Super MEST (rumored)
4. Campfire Cascade successor (rumored)
5. Wilson XVX Chronosonic
6. Canpur 622B
7. LP7 Ti

I think this is the third year straight the LP7 has been on "most anticipated product of the year" lists. Here's hoping 2024 is really the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back