Rank the IEM's you've heard
Jul 5, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #3,241 of 5,136
Once again, fantastic list. Do you plan on reviewing the MEST OG? I am wondering where it fits into your list.

Also, my wife just stole my BLON 03. I need a replacement. I was thinking of replacing it with a BLON 05. How do they compare? I prefer how the 2nd gen looks to the 3rd gen. I considered pairing it with an Orpheus, but I need it with a mic for telephone calls, so I got a different cable. Haha.
I’d definitely like to try an OG MEST if an opportunity arises. From the comparisons I’ve read between mk2 and OG, it seems like OG may actually suit my preferences a little better. Have you heard both?

Haven’t heard the original BL-05, unfortunately. I’ve only tried the ugly green 05s that I pair with Orpheus 😄

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #3,242 of 5,136
My very quick ranking with numbers 2-4 being interchangeable based on mood / genre / listening circumstances (#1 is, by quite a large margin, the best I've heard for my preferences and my most listened to IEM), and those ranked closely after 10 being interchangeable to a lesser extent (I hate absolutes haha).

1) Odin
2) Legend X
3) Z1R
4) VE8
5) Solaris SE
6) Dorado 2020
7) U12t
8) Atlas
9) Hero
10) Solaris OG
11) Andromeda OG
12) Katana
13) Vega 2020
14) Vega OG
15) Jupiter
16) Lyra II
17) iSine 20
18) IE800
19) Shure 846
Another great list. I see you have the bass lover's trifecta at the top of your leader board. If you love bass, you can't beat those 3 together.

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #3,243 of 5,136
I’d definitely like to try an OG MEST if an opportunity arises. From the comparisons I’ve read between mk2 and OG, it seems like OG may actually suit my preferences a little better. Have you heard both?

Haven’t heard the original BL-05, unfortunately. I’ve only tried the ugly green 05s that I pair with Orpheus 😄
No, I own the MEST OG. But, I rarely listen to it anymore given my current collection. I like your list because it I resonate with it given what I own. So, your list fills in the gaps of my knowledge.

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #3,245 of 5,136
They are rather glorious with each bringing different approaches to their bass response.
Not heard the LX, but indeed the way bass is handled between the Z1R and Odin is very different and highly complimentary. Unless I need the cash, I'll try to hang on to the Odin's, despite the Bird purchase, the bass is ridiculously satisfying, even if tuning feels a bit of a mess next to the Traillii!

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #3,246 of 5,136
Not heard the LX, but indeed the way bass is handled between the Z1R and Odin is very different and highly complimentary. Unless I need the cash, I'll try to hang on to the Odin's, despite the Bird purchase, the bass is ridiculously satisfying, even if tuning feels a bit of a mess next to the Traillii!
From what has been said it seems as though EE made a deliberate choice to go for a more flavoured tuning in Odin rather than the relatively 'safe' tuning of the Trailli.... Either way, I love it's deep, textured W9+ DD bass, it's slightly forward upper mids and effortless treble for the music that I listen to.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #3,247 of 5,136
Yeah. I can't listen to my Odin's after listening to the Bird. I have to start with Odin or the sound is unbearably hot. I am going to experiment with EQ. I think that will tame the highs a bit on the Odin. The Odin has a smoothness of sound and texture to the bass that is fantastic. Just need to get the rest of the FR curve in line and it will be fantastic.

I am going to try the annihilator or the X sometime later this year as think they will compliment this collection nicely with its superb treble response.

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #3,248 of 5,136
From what has been said it seems as though EE made a deliberate choice to go for a more flavoured tuning in Odin rather than the relatively 'safe' tuning of the Trailli.... Either way, I love it's deep, textured W9+ DD bass, it's slightly forward upper mids and effortless treble for the music that I listen to.
I think you're right - EE made a very deliberate choice with the energy in the high mids in particular. I would say however, that 'safe' does the Bird a disservice - I had the same perception before, but it is incredibly fun and just right in many circumstances.

What sort of music do you listen to btw?

@HiFiHawaii808 - agree with your assessment of Odin's bass, the Bird while excellent low down does serve to highlight how good the Odin's bass is.

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #3,249 of 5,136
I think you're right - EE made a very deliberate choice with the energy in the high mids in particular. I would say however, that 'safe' does the Bird a disservice - I had the same perception before, but it is incredibly fun and just right in many circumstances.

What sort of music do you listen to btw?

@HiFiHawaii808 - agree with your assessment of Odin's bass, the Bird while excellent low down does serve to highlight how good the Odin's bass is.
Haha don't shoot the messenger... I believe this is the term that the head honchos at EE used... Don't quote me on that though.

I listen to a very diverse range of music but mostly electronic, Metal (prog, metalcore), rock, trance, dance, acoustic, ambient, soundtracks etc etc.

Jul 5, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #3,250 of 5,136
Haha don't shoot the messenger... I believe this is the term that the head honchos at EE used... Don't quote me on that though.

I listen to a very diverse range of music but mostly electronic, Metal (prog, metalcore), rock, trance, dance, acoustic, ambient, soundtracks etc etc.
In comparison I get what EE are saying! It is sometimes a bit too full on! And that’s a shame because for jazz I can’t stand the Odin, despite the timbre being so good.

IMO electronic and ambient is where the Odin shines the best - still early on in my bird journey but at the very least it provides an excellent foil to the bird and the main reason I’ll hold onto it if I can.

Jul 5, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #3,251 of 5,136
In comparison I get what EE are saying! It is sometimes a bit too full on! And that’s a shame because for jazz I can’t stand the Odin, despite the timbre being so good.

IMO electronic and ambient is where the Odin shines the best - still early on in my bird journey but at the very least it provides an excellent foil to the bird and the main reason I’ll hold onto it if I can.
If all flagship IEM's went for the same tuning I guess things would get boring fast so I appreciate EE's direction... They have always made 'flavour' IEM's to varying degrees with Odin being the least 'flavoured' (in their 'X' line of IEM's).

Variety is the spice of life and all that :wink: it's the main reason I keep the likes of the VE8 about.

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #3,253 of 5,136
My most recent attempt:

(Usual caveats that this is just a measure of my personal enjoyment etc.)

I'm also only including IEMs I really enjoyed so if it's on this list at all it's something I would recommend.

1) Oriolus Isabellae (Simplicity, coherence, peerless balanced and engaging tuning.)
2) VE Elysium (Clarity, air & realism)
3) CFA Dorado 2020 (Bombastic fun and among the best bass, in particular mid-bass, out there.)
4) Sony IER Z1R (With more western tuning this could be my favorite IEM.)
5) Campfire Solaris SE (An incredible all rounder with some of the best mids out there.)
6) Campfire Andromeda 2020 (Still possibly the #1 rec for someone knowing nothing else about their taste)
7) Vision Ears VE8 (Wonderfully emotive...I find the mids a touch congested though)
8) EE Legend X (King of the beasts of bass...signature lacks air and doesn't work as well as an all rounder for me.)
9) QDC Anole VX (Hyper analytic...possibly the most purely technical IEM I've heard.)
10) Tansio Spark (Those e-stats though...a reasonably priced Trailli approximation?)
11) UM MEST (Marvelous staging & pyrotechnics.)
12) EE Bravado MKii (Lovely highs and EE's new bass driver is bomb.)
13) CFA Atlas (Big bass, big sound)
14) 64 Audio Nio (Great all rounder but at times the mids felt to me like a 2-d image atop a 3-d mound of bass)

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #3,254 of 5,136
My most recent attempt:

(Usual caveats that this is just a measure of my personal enjoyment etc.)

I'm also only including IEMs I really enjoyed so if it's on this list at all it's something I would recommend.

1) Oriolus Isabellae (Simplicity, coherence, peerless balanced and engaging tuning.)
2) VE Elysium (Clarity, air & realism)
3) CFA Dorado 2020 (Bombastic fun and among the best bass, in particular mid-bass, out there.)
4) Sony IER Z1R (With more western tuning this could be my favorite IEM.)
5) Campfire Solaris SE (An incredible all rounder with some of the best mids out there.)
6) Campfire Andromeda 2020 (Still possibly the #1 rec for someone knowing nothing else about their taste)
7) Vision Ears VE8 (Wonderfully emotive...I find the mids a touch congested though)
8) EE Legend X (King of the beasts of bass...signature lacks air and doesn't work as well as an all rounder for me.)
9) QDC Anole VX (Hyper analytic...possibly the most purely technical IEM I've heard.)
10) Tansio Spark (Those e-stats though...a reasonably priced Trailli approximation?)
11) UM MEST (Marvelous staging & pyrotechnics.)
12) EE Bravado MKii (Lovely highs and EE's new bass driver is bomb.)
13) CFA Atlas (Big bass, big sound)
14) 64 Audio Nio (Great all rounder but at times the mids felt to me like a 2-d image atop a 3-d mound of bass)
Whoa. Isabellae took the number 1 slot? That's why it's on my short list.

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #3,255 of 5,136
Whoa. Isabellae took the number 1 slot? That's why it's on my short list.

For the moment yes...it's also just personal enjoyment, which for me often doesn't depend a lot on massive technical chops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back