Rank the IEM's you've heard
May 25, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #3,181 of 5,197
mids are very important to me also , i HATE v-shaped iems

I can live with decent/light bass , if mids are great and treble is airy (but never piercing)

hence why i am still in love with my Zeus XR , after >6000 hours of usage

May 25, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #3,182 of 5,197
It's really good. Hopefully you get to try one someday. Due to its excellent treble and reach, it's capable of displaying this wide spacious stage. As well as a very high resolution. I'm not sure about Susvara. But it's less than the LCDi4 in size @Junmoe62 has both I think

hi guys, well, to be more specific, I wouldn’t say that i4’s soundstage is necessarily bigger. They’re probably very close to each others in that regard I think. Now where I think the main difference resides is in the perception of that staging. Thanks to it’s open back design and the fact that there’s no sensation of pressure in the ears, it just feels more realistic. You have less the sensation to listen to earphones. In my case, it’s fooling my brain in a more convincing way. Especially for sounds that feel like coming from the back or not related to the music. Example of tracks with this kind of feeling would be the subway sound at the beginning and end of Picture That from Roger Waters, or Pt.7 track from the album Amazônia by Jean Michel Jarre, a little after the 1:00 min mark there’s a sound coming from the left slightly rear. I remember the first time I listened to this track with i4, I was in my bed and I thought it was my wife having a dream! :joy: I literally had to remove the i4 from my ears to be sure it was coming from the music. I think that’s one of the main strength of i4, it’s realism in its stage reproduction. I haven’t been fooled that effectively by any other set yet, even not Traillii which is in my opinion one of if not the best in IEM staging performance.

It's #1 on the list of IEMs that is more than I'm willing to spend but would really love to try. I don't remember where I got the Susvara comparison from but it seems to me, based on all the reports I've read, that Trailli's "open back like" staging is one of its most significant strengths. I also never see people gushing specifically about the mid-range, and given that is where most of my audio-attention lies these days that gives me heart that Trailli, great as it may be, doesn't render my beloved Elysium redundant. I can't wait to hear it for myself though and hopefully the world becomes somewhat normal again in the near future and we can start having proper CanJam's and meets again.
I definitely think Traillii and Elysium wouldn’t be redundant. They are quite different and both amazing sets. In pure technicality Traillii has the edge, especially for staging representation which is very clearly more spacious. But music enjoyment is not only about raw technicalities and Ely‘s mids provide something special and different than Traillii that I really appreciate a lot. As a matter of fact, Ely would be a set that I would absolutely consider adding to my collection in the future.

Also, Isabellae, is that the western name for the orange Oriolus with the brass face plates? If it’s the one, I demoed it about 2 months ago and I gave them another try yesterday to compare with Traillii. They are pretty cool set, especially considering the price. Now I personally don’t think it’s in the same league as Traillii. From what I heard, Traillii felt significantly better in about all aspects and more clearly in detail retrieval and soundstage size, placement and realism. I even felt the bass on Traillii was better, with more impact. I didn’t try them with the same tips though, so that might impact the judgment. On the other hand, Isa is definitely worth the listen! It’s an awesome IEM with a tuning not that far off Traillii’s. Lastly, Isa isn’t as good as Traillii at isolation thanks to the vented design I imagine, but fit wise it’s about the same.
As always, YMMV. :)

Cheers.

May 25, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #3,184 of 5,197
Gotta update this

1) Warbler Prelude - Tear-shedding midrange stuff. Beautiful vocals
2) Oriolus Isabellae - Peerless bass. Highly transparent. Engaging fun stuff
3) C/2019 Q4 - Well-tempered midrange. Excellent treble. Clear neutral sound
4) Oriolus Traillii - Still the best treble. Laidback midrange. Fun tight lows with deep reach and big size. Slightly fatiguing bass
?) Vision Ears VE7 - ?
makin' me wanna hear this warbler thingy...

have you heard erlky?

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #3,185 of 5,197
I definitely think Traillii and Elysium wouldn’t be redundant. They are quite different and both amazing sets. In pure technicality Traillii has the edge, especially for staging representation which is very clearly more spacious. But music enjoyment is not only about raw technicalities and Ely‘s mids provide something special and different than Traillii that I really appreciate a lot. As a matter of fact, Ely would be a set that I would absolutely consider adding to my collection in the future.

That seems to be the consensus...namely that Ely seems to be one of the IEMs that compliments the bird and isn't redundant beside it.

Also, Isabellae, is that the western name for the orange Oriolus with the brass face plates? If it’s the one, I demoed it about 2 months ago and I gave them another try yesterday to compare with Traillii. They are pretty cool set, especially considering the price. Now I personally don’t think it’s in the same league as Traillii. From what I heard, Traillii felt significantly better in about all aspects and more clearly in detail retrieval and soundstage size, placement and realism. I even felt the bass on Traillii was better, with more impact. I didn’t try them with the same tips though, so that might impact the judgment. On the other hand, Isa is definitely worth the listen! It’s an awesome IEM with a tuning not that far off Traillii’s. Lastly, Isa isn’t as good as Traillii at isolation thanks to the vented design I imagine, but fit wise it’s about the same.

Thanks for this info...I wouldn't expect Isabellae to be at Bird levels of SQ but my hope is that it's a great and more affordable example of Oriolus magic...and that it seems to be :)

Got it from Penon. I will send it out to you and @SBranson if interested.

Thanks for the offer though I may take the blind on this one and pre-order as soon as I get the go ahead email from @MusicTeck

May 25, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #3,186 of 5,197
isabellae does seem interesting as well.

May 25, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #3,187 of 5,197
What about staging? This is the aspect of Trailli's presentation I see most consistently and intensely praised-- it's "Susvara like" staging.

on this set, the susvara's on the human size scale of imaging. staging ofc real life studio / venue presence, literally "i'm there" presence...
x72+LE+ssVra.png

May 25, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #3,189 of 5,197
As far as “spaciousness” and the Elysium, the Elysium is very spacious with the Cayin C9. Vocals are not recessed however so they do sound intimate but the “air” is so incredible that it just sounds like the singer is closer rather than sitting further back in the audience. Perhaps that’s a tuning difference rather than a technical one.. but I won’t presume to know what the Trailli sounds like, only that the Elysium is very scalable and it’s another level of fantastic with the C9.

May 25, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #3,192 of 5,197
I need to see your ranking more often. I haven't seen it enough. Maybe you can do an hourly update?

Well, aren't you feeling a bit snarky this evening, as @Rockwell7’s taste is similar to mine, I appreciate his updates.

May 25, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #3,193 of 5,197
That’s it I guess I have to sell my Traillii …

The hype is gone and it has been realized as mediocre 😖. My ears are full of crap.

Tis’ a shame, to assist you with the grieving process I'm sending you my address via PM. I'll take the vile thing off your hands, trust me, it's better like this.

May 25, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #3,194 of 5,197
My Isabellae is being shipped out via DHL today so I should be able to chime in soon. Haven’t heard the Traillii yet however.

I'm looking forward to reading your impressions, where did you buy your Isabellae?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back