Rank the IEM's you've heard
May 25, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #3,167 of 5,197

iu

Prelude, Isabellae, C/2019, VE7, $2200 change >= Traillii

Kidding aside, I do like its treble. Bird's treble is yet to be beaten. And I liked its bass. But after listening to the Isa, I like her bass more.

May 25, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #3,168 of 5,197
A lot of weight were put on the midrange in my evaluation. As there's where most instruments are. Also the bass got fatiguing after a while

You went from "as good as it gets" to "best treble I guess if you like that? :thinking:" in three days. Excellent thread.

Jay-Z-clapping-whew.gif

May 25, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #3,169 of 5,197
I need to see your ranking more often. I haven't seen it enough. Maybe you can do an hourly update?

There's a mailer going out soon. I'll make sure you get one.

May 25, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #3,170 of 5,197
You went from "as good as it gets" to "best treble I guess if you like that? :thinking:" in three days. Excellent thread.

Jay-Z-clapping-whew.gif
Maybe I should be more specific

Bass - Isa > Traillii > C/2019 > Prelude
Mids - Prelude > C/2019 > Isa > Traillii
Treble - Traillii > Isa > C/2019 > Prelude

Since this is the rank of my favourite IEMs, a lot more weight is put into midrange where most instruments are. Next is bass, and lastly treble

May 25, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #3,171 of 5,197
Hi,
thx for your help. Unfortunately I'm not sure which kind of tonality I like the most :tired_face: All I know is that the sound shouldn't be too bright, harsh or fatiguing. I definitely prefer when the vocals are not overshadowed by the music and can transport emotions well. One of the most important aspects is that the IEM has to be forgiving because many rock, metal, rap,...songs are produced mediocre at best.

Honestly I think either IEM might work for you for different reasons. Sometimes what's really needed is a demo.

I don't personally listen to metal, but my friend who does primarily listen to metal and rock who has tried many of my IEMs (at least ones that can fit their ears) which includes Andromeda 2020, MEST Mk2, Equinox/Atlas, Valkyrie Mk1, and more, enjoyed Valkyrie Mk1 the most. So might be another one to consider, I can't comment on the Bravados. Valkyries are a love it or don't like it kind of IEM because it is absolutely a V-shaped IEM, but seems to pair really well with metal.

I think the Bravado Mk II and Valk Mk II are very similar-- and they have all the same drivers and tech. The only difference based on the graphs seems to be that the Valk has more upper mids/lower treble. Bravado is great for metal, and kick drums sound amazing on it though so maybe there's something similar happening,

The beginning of the end... next, the 4 horsemen will appear as it is written...

Just yesterday the first one ever (I think) was listed in the classifieds. End times indeed.

Also, in every single thread. What if somebody still doesn't know how great Dorado is ?!?

Every single thread? Really? Apart from my own thread, and the ranking thread what are you on about?

May 25, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #3,172 of 5,197
Maybe I should be more specific

Bass - Isa > Traillii > C/2019 > Prelude
Mids - Prelude > C/2019 > Isa > Traillii
Treble - Traillii > Isa > C/2019 > Prelude

Since this is the rank of my favourite IEMs, a lot more weight is put into midrange where most instruments are. Next is bass, and lastly treble

What about staging? This is the aspect of Trailli's presentation I see most consistently and intensely praised-- it's "Susvara like" staging.

May 25, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #3,173 of 5,197
What about staging? This is the aspect of Trailli's presentation I see most consistently and intensely praised-- it's "Susvara like" staging.
It's really good. Hopefully you get to try one someday. Due to its excellent treble and reach, it's capable of displaying this wide spacious stage. As well as a very high resolution. I'm not sure about Susvara. But it's less than the LCDi4 in size @Junmoe62 has both I think

May 25, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #3,174 of 5,197
It's really good. Hopefully you get to try one someday. Due to its excellent treble and reach, it's capable of displaying this wide spacious stage. As well as a very high resolution. I'm not sure about Susvara. But it's less than the LCDi4 in size @Junmoe62 has both I think

It's #1 on the list of IEMs that is more than I'm willing to spend but would really love to try. I don't remember where I got the Susvara comparison from but it seems to me, based on all the reports I've read, that Trailli's "open back like" staging is one of its most significant strengths. I also never see people gushing specifically about the mid-range, and given that is where most of my audio-attention lies these days that gives me heart that Trailli, great as it may be, doesn't render my beloved Elysium redundant. I can't wait to hear it for myself though and hopefully the world becomes somewhat normal again in the near future and we can start having proper CanJam's and meets again.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #3,176 of 5,197
It's #1 on the list of IEMs that is more than I'm willing to spend but would really love to try. I don't remember where I got the Susvara comparison from but it seems to me, based on all the reports I've read, that Trailli's "open back like" staging is one of its most significant strengths. I also never see people gushing specifically about the mid-range, and given that is where most of my audio-attention lies these days that gives me heart that Trailli, great as it may be, doesn't render my beloved Elysium redundant. I can't wait to hear it for myself though and hopefully the world becomes somewhat normal again in the near future and we can start having proper CanJam's and meets again.
Have your ever tried the Erlkonig?

May 25, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #3,177 of 5,197
May 25, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #3,178 of 5,197
I think many 'neglect' the midrange not because it's unimportant or lacking, but because it's much easier to hear issues with bass or treble (at least for me it is). If bass is too light/too intense/too muddy and treble too bright/harsh/rolled off, then the entire sound structure and tonality suffers, whereas if the mids/vocals are a touch too recessed or forward, or a little more or less organic, then it's not quite as critical as a problem in the bass or treble, and certainly won't fatigue as much as either of the other two. Of course we'd all love to mids to be dead on perfect every time, but that's a very tough trick to pull off while getting the other two right. Great bass/treble with very good mids is > than great mids with just average bass/treble. Just my 0.02.

Edit: I should add that the type of music you listen to has a huge bearing in the above assertion. If you mainly listen to vocals, then vocal purity/timbre has to be excellent, regardless of bass/treble (though bass and treble affect vocals in different ways). Whereas if most of your library is instrumental music, then as long as the mids are good and not too wonky, you'll notice it far less.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #3,180 of 5,197
My Isabellae is being shipped out via DHL today so I should be able to chime in soon. Haven’t heard the Traillii yet however.

Woah..jealous...how'd you get a pair so soon? Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

I think many 'neglect' the midrange not because it's unimportant or lacking, but because it's much easier to hear issues with bass or treble (at least for me it is). If bass is too light/too intense/too muddy and treble too bright/harsh/rolled off, then the entire sound structure and tonality suffers, whereas if the mids/vocals are a touch too recessed or forward, or a little more or less organic, then it's not quite as critical as a problem in the bass or treble, and certainly won't fatigue as much as either of the other two. Of course we'd all love to mids to be dead on perfect every time, but that's a very tough trick to pull off while getting the other two right. Great bass/treble with very good mids is > than great mids with just average bass/treble. Just my 0.02.

Edit: I should add that the type of music you listen to has a huge bearing in the above assertion. If you mainly listen to vocals, then vocal purity/timbre has to be excellent, regardless of bass/treble (though bass and treble affect vocals in different ways). Whereas if most of your library is instrumental music, then as long as the mids are good and not too wonky, you'll notice it far less.

Agreed on all points. Those of us who regularly post on these forums are typically pretty OCD about one aspect of their gear or another...for some people it's bass, others it's treble or sound-stage or technicalities etc.. For me (lately) it's mids. Fortunately after being here long enough it's easy to identify people who are OCD about the same things I am so when it comes to something (midrange timbre, for example) that doesn't get mentioned in most reviews it's often not that hard to dig up some reliable info. That said, with all the different factors (music taste, hearing sensitivities etc.) there really is no substitute for demoing something yourself.

Lol I know it’s out of your price range. Just curious on your subjective view on comparing with Ely given your love for mids!

Yeah Erlky has been on my radar for a while...I thought we almost had a Canadian tour locked down but that disintegrated. One day hopefully....perhaps when they release an updated version the older ones will drop in price until they're within striking distance for me. I'd be willing to shell out $2k for a cosmetically imperfect unit, or one lacking all the packaging etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back