Penon Orb
IBasso IT01
IBasso IT03
Noble Kaiser 10
CA Jupiter
Sennheiser IE800
Moondrop Kanas Pro
Sony EX1000

What do you like about the OG Solaris more than the 2020?

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #2,432 of 5,132
S Tier
Solaris SE
Andromeda 2020 <= New
VE8
u12t

S- Tier
OG Solaris
Anole VX
Legend X

A+ Tier
IER Z1R

A Tier
Atlas

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #2,433 of 5,132
What do you like about the OG Solaris more than the 2020?

They're very similar. I can't wear the OG to bed because they're too large. That's when I use the 2020. The direct answer to your question is I find the high end slightly more sparkly / holographic on the OG vs the 2020.

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #2,437 of 5,132
01.64 audio u18t
02.64 audio u12t
03.1670ss + cable upgrade
04.Penon Orb w/ Leo plus (vinyl junkie's IEM)
05.Andromeda 2019
06.Penon Sphere w/ OS849
07.kse1500
08.Rhapsodio Galaxy V2
09.ES3
10.Intime Sora

1597247681274.png

Yep, couldn't agree more...

2017 Sora
IMG_20200526_092331.jpg

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #2,438 of 5,132
Aug 12, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #2,439 of 5,132
I haven't listened to a high number of uber quality IEMs, but here is my more basic list (in order from best to least):

S-Tier
Flare Pro 2 HD: Absolutely not a single sonic flaw in these. Instrument placement is perfect, sound carries out pretty far, no deficiencies of frequency response. These are significantly better sounding than my AKG K7XX full sized headphones. I honestly can't quite believe they are just one single dynamic driver IEM. I haven't heard the uber 12-bajillion BA sets that frequent this forum, but it's safe to say I do not desire better sound than these headphones. I put them on my brother's head for less than a minute and his jaw dropped saying: This sounds like a real live performance. I only wish they terminated as MMCX at the actual housing. Honestly, I wish the Campfire Intelligensia on this forum would forgo that next $1,000+ purchase and buy these instead and tell their tale. There is one reviewer who had a few pairs of Campfire and then got these and said the Flares are better.

A-Tier
Final Audio E5000. Massive bass and sense of space--slightly more space than the Flares. Detail is there throughout the frequency range but it is laid back at first until either burn in/brain burn in happens. Warm, forgiving sound signature. These also require SIGNIFICANT power for the midrange and highs to stretch--much more than the AKGs I own, and significantly more than the Flares or any other IEMs--but the headphones have the capability for sure. An almost slam dunk by Final. Hopefully in their next iteration they find a way to pack all this sonic quality in a headphone that doesn't require a desktop amplifier.

B-Tier
Yamaha EPH100: Excellent, and fun U-shaped sounding IEMs. separation is good, nearly on par with the Flares, but the sense of space is lacking.
Final Audio E2000: Personally, I love these headphones. They required actual burn-in before the mids and highs really opened up on them. They sound much more like a budget version of the Flares than a budget version of the E5000. They are also the most comfortable IEM that has ever been made and I use them every night while I sleep.
Rock-It R50: More analytical yet warmer than typical BA solutions at the time these were made. Intimate, and precise. Soundstage is boring as all heck. Bass is sorta present, but has zero impact.

C-Tier
RE0: These got quite a bit of play in their day. I never really fancied them tbh. They do resolve a bit more detail in certain midrange frequencies than anything else did in its price range at the time, but it was at a complete sacrifice to the entire listening experience. I would say they are an L-shape sound sig with a dip in the bass as well. They never sounded natural to me, and I have listened to Ety's before (they do sound cold, but natural). Soundstage is very congested as well. Its amazing how the Final E2000 which are much cheaper than the RE0 were are so much more capable.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #2,440 of 5,132
I got the "2" though, but its awesome for sure!

Your Sora 2 is the improvement over my 2017 Sora ofc.
The 1st version was a very brave tuning. A treblehead's delight if u will.
Full bodied, huge staging from such a small confinement.
For my taste, i have to get over the 1st 300 hours to even out the top end.
I'm playing track 04 my immortal (bring me to life, ok) from the fallen album. No more sibilance, like before.
After about a 1,000 hours its highs are evened out but still airy, detailed.
It's gonna be tough to take out from my list...

Aug 15, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #2,441 of 5,132
Update:

1. 64 Audio U12T
2. Sony Z1R
3. Hidition Viento-B
4. Shure KSE1200
5. Campfire Andromeda MW10
6. Audeze LCDi4
7. QDC Anole VX
8. Campfire Andromeda 2020
9. Sony M9
10. Empire Ears Legend X / Andromeda OG v3

Going to put the U12T at #1 now. It's super coherent, pretty much does everything well, has no glaring weaknesses aside from BA bass (which btw, is some of the best BA bass), but doesn't have the incoherency of DD and BA setups that hybrids often have. Also some of the best treble out there. It's just good at everything not to mention Apex comfort.

Recently got a Hidition Viento-B and I think the vocals + coherency on this IEM are probably among the best I've ever heard (competitor being KSE). Tastefully boosted bass in the B configuration and a surprisingly exciting IEM I actually find w/ the lifted treble, slightly lifted upper mids and boosted sub-bass. A winner if you enjoy a very clean and sharp presentation of your music.

The Andromeda 2020 really surprised me. The upper treble is a bit reduced (no more sparkle), the lower-mids reduced a little and the upper mids lifted a tad. In return, you get a much more focused presentation than the OG, a fairly balanced sound signature and loads of detail and layers. An easy all around recommendation in its price range. Only weakness is the bass is not aggressive (look into the MW10 if you want that).

Can't wait to try the new EE lineup (including the Odin and Hero) next!

Aug 15, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #2,443 of 5,132
Update:

1. 64 Audio U12T
2. Sony Z1R
3. Hidition Viento-B
4. Shure KSE1200
5. Campfire Andromeda MW10
6. Audeze LCDi4
7. QDC Anole VX
8. Campfire Andromeda 2020
9. Sony M9
10. Empire Ears Legend X / Andromeda OG v3

Going to put the U12T at #1 now. It's super coherent, pretty much does everything well, has no glaring weaknesses aside from BA bass (which btw, is some of the best BA bass), but doesn't have the incoherency of DD and BA setups that hybrids often have. Also some of the best treble out there. It's just good at everything not to mention Apex comfort.

Recently got a Hidition Viento-B and I think the vocals + coherency on this IEM are probably among the best I've ever heard (competitor being KSE). Tastefully boosted bass in the B configuration and a surprisingly exciting IEM I actually find w/ the lifted treble, slightly lifted upper mids and boosted sub-bass. A winner if you enjoy a very clean and sharp presentation of your music.

The Andromeda 2020 really surprised me. The upper treble is a bit reduced (no more sparkle), the lower-mids reduced a little and the upper mids lifted a tad. In return, you get a much more focused presentation than the OG, a fairly balanced sound signature and loads of detail and layers. An easy all around recommendation in its price range. Only weakness is the bass is not aggressive (look into the MW10 if you want that).

Can't wait to try the new EE lineup (including the Odin and Hero) next!
Quite the list! Impressive

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #2,445 of 5,132
Making this list is harder than I thought it would be. Here's my top dozen on absolute sound grounds alone (other issues have been ignored so this is based on sound in non-mobile conditions)
I've also included as many of the others I've heard that I can remember in an alphabetical list to provide some context.

1. Empire Ears Legend X
2. 64 Audio Tia Fourte Noir
3. 64 Audio U18t
4. Jomo Trinity Brass
5. 64 Audio Tia Fourte
6. Empire Ears Wraith
7. InEar ProPhile 8
8. Campfire Audio Solaris
9. Noble Khan
10. InEar StageDiver 4
11. Shure SE846
12. Noble Kaiser Encore

Alphabetical list of others I've heard/owned.
Etymotic ER4P; Etymotic ER6; Fiio FH7; Meze Rai Penta; Noble Savant; oBravo Cupid; oBravo Ra C-Cu; Shure 115m+; Shure E2c; Shure E3c; Shure E5c; Shure E5c; Shure SE500; Shure SE530; Shure SE535; UE TF10; Westone 4; Westone 4R; Westone UM3x

Oooof - this needs an update

MMR Thummim
VE ERLKöNIG
Empire Ears Legend X
64 Audio U18Tzar
64 Audio Fourte Noir
Jomo Trinity Brass
64 Audio Fourte
InEar Prophile8
CustomArt FIBAE 7
Hidition NT6

Users who are viewing this thread