Rank the IEM's you've heard
Aug 23, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #2,461 of 5,135
I think I was as much (or more so) the beneficiary in the meetup with @Rockwell75 for having the chance to listen to a very rare iem, the VE8 in universal form. At first it‘s less overtly detailed sound in comparison to the U12t took me aback with a sense of the VE8 being very smooth and intimate but slightly veiled in comparison.
But the more I listened, I got through that sense to hear into the differences and really started to enjoy the more intimate and arguably more cohesive presentation. I’d still say that the U12t is the master of detail and separation but just as the EE Phantom takes an adjustment period (though a longer one), the VE8 really became a joy to listen to. Another pleasant audition was the Cayin n6ii with the E01 module.. nice..

So my new rankings - the EE ones are too specific and in this list are based on when they “shine”

1. 64 Audio U12t - ranks above the VE8 mostly because the U12t is perfect for the music I listen to, namely small chamber group baroque or solo instrumentalists and modern classical/ambient

2. Vision Ears VE8. - Less sheer detail and imaging power but a smoother warmer sound that would be a great pairing with the U12t. I would probably favour getting these as a custom over an A12t.

3. Empire Ears Legend X - the bass is just so fun and when paired with the right music, these are fantastic. In solo music the mids and highs are very refined too. There just happens to be cases where the bass can dominate too much so more than most iems though I feel they push you towards certain music and away from others because of the bass. As I’m a one iem person (can’t afford more), it just doesn’t work as well as an all around choice

4. QDC Anole VX - only got a short audition in the fall but very detailed with the fun of the switches.

5. Empire Ears Phantom - Like the Legend X, these took some work and time for me to appreciate them but they can sound very nice. I think Empire Ears ultimately are very good at making iems that suit certain music. None of the 4 iems of theirs I’ve owned were good all around iems.

I’ll leave it at 5 as the list gets too long after that and too hard to rank. One mention that isn’t in the top 5 is the CA Solaris SE. It is a good sounding and very dynamic iem that doesn’t make my list only because it doesn’t suit my tastes and it’s strengths don’t do much for my music.

Others not in the top five are the many Noble iems I’ve owned and still use the orig. Savant as my daily work iem. I could put the Encore or Katana or K10 as no. 5 and all three would be in a top 10 list.. but the EE iems nose them out because they do something more special when they get it “right”. The Nobles would win as general iems over the Phantoms though...

Fun to re-read my own rankings to see the changes. Campfire Audio Solaris SE will be there somewhere when I hear it again.

1. Campfire Audio Solaris 2020... Only above #2 because it’s just more enjoyable musically
1.B. Solaris SE - very similar but I prefer the extra sparkle of the 2020.
2. 64 Audio U12t.. (very close second if not co-#1. Different presentation. Hope to have both.) **I currently have both and the Solaris is a definite preference.
3.Vision Ears VE8u - like an EE Phantom done correctly, ie no hangover.
4. EE Legend X - bass king
5. Campfire Audio Andromeda Gold - similar to the Solaris 2020 but not as good
6. QDC Anole VX - not my preferred tuning but very good
7. EE Phantom - needs proper matching but excellent timbre.
8. Moondrop S8 - again tuning a bit off for me but an excellent iem.
9. Noble K10 - overall my favourite of that line (incl. Katana and Encore)
10. Lots of others but I’ll say iBasso IT00 just because I have it and it’s great for the price

** Edit. Solaris 2020 is a clear #1 over the U12t for the mids performance and overall enjoyment. I don’t even think it is technically inferior.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #2,463 of 5,135
Fun to re-read my own rankings to see the changes. Campfire Audio Solaris SE will be there somewhere when I hear it again.

1. Campfire Audio Solaris 2020... Only above #2 because it’s just more enjoyable musically
2. 64 Audio U12t.. very close second if not co-#1. Different presentation. Hope to have both.
3.Vision Ears VE8u - like an EE Phantom done correctly, ie no hangover.
4. EE Legend X - bass king
5. Campfire Audio Andromeda Gold - similar to the Solaris 2020 but not as good
6. QDC Anole VX - not my preferred tuning but very good
7. EE Phantom - needs proper matching but excellent timbre.
8. Moondrop S8 - again tuning a bit off for me but an excellent iem.
9. Noble K10 - overall my favourite of that line (incl. Katana and Encore)
10. Lots of others but I’ll say iBasso IT00 just because I have it and it’s great for the price

Great list. I've heard many of those and by and large concur with this-- can't wait to hear the 2020.

1. MMR Thummim.
2. Other stuff... XD just kidding but to make a point I love my Thummim so much.
3. Vision ears EK LE
4. 64 audio A18s
4. Vision ears Elysium
5. 64 audio tia noir
6. Empire ears wraith
7. Final audio piano forte XG
8. Dita dream XLS

Some real heavy hitters there. A group of us in Canada is trying to get a tour group together to finally get a chance to demo some of these IEMs. Sounds like Vision Ears will be first...can't wait!

Aug 23, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #2,464 of 5,135
Been reading through here, and it's pretty interesting to see how everyone's preferences line-up. Here's my personal rankings:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GXz_mFXxV1DKMIOAP6yhELjJX3JpJaI7TaBtphfpiC4/edit?usp=sharing

I don't think I'd score it as highly as some top dogs on my list, but my current favorite IEM would be the 64audio Nio. This one's a bit of a dark horse, as I only got it in the other day - so it could just be new-toy syndrome. But man, it hits my target preferences very closely. Very good bass response, just the right amount of body to the midrange, and a more laidback treble response. I'm most impressed with how it balances its timbral coloration without significant technical cutbacks; I've also yet to peg it for something in terms of coherency. I've listened to a lot of "musical" IEMs, but nothing has really clicked like this for me.

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #2,465 of 5,135
Been reading through here, and it's pretty interesting to see how everyone's preferences line-up. Here's my personal rankings:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GXz_mFXxV1DKMIOAP6yhELjJX3JpJaI7TaBtphfpiC4/edit?usp=sharing

I don't think I'd score it as highly as some top dogs on my list, but my current favorite IEM would be the 64audio Nio. This one's a bit of a dark horse, as I only got it in the other day - so it could just be new-toy syndrome. But man, it hits my target preferences very closely. Very good bass response, just the right amount of body to the midrange, and a more laidback treble response. I'm most impressed with how it balances its timbral coloration without significant technical cutbacks; I've also yet to peg it for something in terms of coherency. I've listened to a lot of "musical" IEMs, but nothing has really clicked like this for me.
So everything you are saying about the nio is exactly how I feel about it. I am well aware that probably not the tip top of the line. Having owned (and recently sold the trio) it edges it out in a few areas, the ier-z1r also does as well. But for me and my preferences as well, the nio really really nails it. And it seems to do it as you say, without any real significant cutbacks. Again, perhaps not tip top of the line, but I think its up there with what I have heard.

And for risk of sounding like a crazy fanboy for it (especially if you were to read some of my posts about it in the 64 thread), I have had it almost 2 months now and I am still excited every day to get them in my ears and listen to something, which is something that just hasnt happened to me with other IEMs, save the IER-Z1R, which fits unbelievably poorly for me. And at risk of sounding even crazier (or maybe way way way more sane), the nio is what convinced me to start selling off some of my others and kind of makes me want to take a big step back away from this hobby and save some of that money and stop chasing more and just listen.

Either way, nice list, fun to read through it and compare with things I have also had the chance to listen to.

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #2,467 of 5,135
...I have had it almost 2 months now and I am still excited every day to get them in my ears and listen to something,...

...the nio is what convinced me to start selling off some of my others and kind of makes me want to take a big step back away from this hobby and save some of that money and stop chasing more and just listen.
Aren’t these the very goals that we are all chasing? I’d say more power to you that you’ve achieved this level of enjoyment, where GAS starts to dissipate.

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #2,468 of 5,135
Aren’t these the very goals that we are all chasing? I’d say more power to you that you’ve achieved this level of enjoyment, where GAS starts to dissipate.
I think ideally yes, though the gear itself is part of the fun too and I think for some that is the driving force in the hobby, not necessarily just finding the perfect sound, but hearing different things, trying out different tech, etc.

But yes, I am happy that the little voice in the back of my head is a bit quieter now and I don't currently feel the need to continue to spend tons of money.

Aug 24, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #2,469 of 5,135
I think ideally yes, though the gear itself is part of the fun too and I think for some that is the driving force in the hobby, not necessarily just finding the perfect sound, but hearing different things, trying out different tech, etc.

But yes, I am happy that the little voice in the back of my head is a bit quieter now and I don't currently feel the need to continue to spend tons of money.
Exactly! Most of us like trying out new toys. This means that if the sound of an IEM quiets that urge, it is all the more profound.

Aug 29, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #2,471 of 5,135
So everything you are saying about the nio is exactly how I feel about it. I am well aware that probably not the tip top of the line. Having owned (and recently sold the trio) it edges it out in a few areas, the ier-z1r also does as well. But for me and my preferences as well, the nio really really nails it. And it seems to do it as you say, without any real significant cutbacks. Again, perhaps not tip top of the line, but I think its up there with what I have heard.

And for risk of sounding like a crazy fanboy for it (especially if you were to read some of my posts about it in the 64 thread), I have had it almost 2 months now and I am still excited every day to get them in my ears and listen to something, which is something that just hasnt happened to me with other IEMs, save the IER-Z1R, which fits unbelievably poorly for me. And at risk of sounding even crazier (or maybe way way way more sane), the nio is what convinced me to start selling off some of my others and kind of makes me want to take a big step back away from this hobby and save some of that money and stop chasing more and just listen.

Either way, nice list, fun to read through it and compare with things I have also had the chance to listen to.

Where's your updated top 10. Loved your stuff!

Aug 30, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #2,472 of 5,135
Update:

1. Empire Ears Odin
2. 64 Audio U12T
3. Sony Z1R
4. Hidition Viento-B
5. Shure KSE1200
6. Unique Melody MEST
7. Campfire Andromeda MW10
8. Audeze LCDi4
9. QDC Anole VX
10. Campfire Andromeda 2020

Demo'd the MEST this weekend (and Dmagic too) and going to put the MEST at #6. It's a very super coherent IEM despite the "four" different types of drivers being used. Bass was super, super nice with excellent texture and tactile thump and slam. It was highly enjoyable and right up my alley. Good presence and just the right amount of quantity without bleeding into the mids. The mids were highly detailed and had nice transients. Portrayed both male and female vocals well with a great tonality and a good sense of realism. Seriously, the bass and mids work extremely well together to give an exciting, clean and engaging experience. Its soundstage is quite unique as well with a spherical and 3D and in front of you with lots and lots of depth which I quite enjoyed. My only gripe w/ the MEST is actually the treble which I found sounded kind of artificial, but that could just be not being used the EST drivers yet. The bone conduction also felt kinda weird sometimes during treble intensive tracks but also, could just be me needing to get used to the new tech.

Regardless, for the price they're offering it as (USD1400?), I think it's worth forking over the extra $300 to get it over the 2020 Andromeda. Definitely a good value buy even at full retail and also, to the joy of many, has DD bass.

I also have a 64 Audio Tia Trio coming in and so I'm quite curious where it'll land on the list. Will update once I get some good ear time with it.

Aug 31, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #2,474 of 5,135
Alright, guess its time for my updated list, I am going to drop off a bunch of other stuff that I only briefly heard or havent heard in quite a long time and cant really recall any details about... So here goes.

1. 64 Audio Nio
2. Sony IER-Z1R
3. 64 Audio Trio
4. Campfire Atlas
5. Campfire Solaris 2020
6. Campfire Andromeda Gold
7. Empire Ears Valkyrie
8. Custom Art Fibae 4
9. Periodic Audio Carbon
10. Final Audio E5000
11. Etymotic ER2XR

Some comments here. I ranked the Nio number 1. Its not strictly "better' than the z1r or the trio, in fact I would likely say both the z1r and trio are actually better in a number of ways that I think are important to a lot of us here on these forums. Both the z1r and trio come across as more detailed, and both are a little more towards the more balanced signature that I think a lot of people here like. Bass on both the trio and z1r are a bit tighter and higher quality, while it can come across as a little loose on the nio. But with all of that, I just enjoy the nio more and I think it just hits my personal preferences a little better than either. Its an IEM I have had for 2 months now and I am still excited to use them every day, which is something that usually fades away quicker than this. The z1r is close behind, but the mids are not as full and lush as on the nio, and the fit is atrocious (even with custom tips) so as good as it may sound thats a big factor for me... Still deciding whether to sell it.

Some other things to note, I put the Atlas above the solaris and andromeda gold. I also dont think its again "better" than the other two, but I just enjoy it more. I also still have the atlas (though maybe not for long) and have already sold the solaris and andromeda if that says anything.

Aug 31, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #2,475 of 5,135
Alright, guess its time for my updated list, I am going to drop off a bunch of other stuff that I only briefly heard or havent heard in quite a long time and cant really recall any details about... So here goes.

1. 64 Audio Nio
2. Sony IER-Z1R
3. 64 Audio Trio
4. Campfire Atlas
5. Campfire Solaris 2020
6. Campfire Andromeda Gold
7. Empire Ears Valkyrie
8. Custom Art Fibae 4
9. Periodic Audio Carbon
10. Final Audio E5000
11. Etymotic ER2XR

Some comments here. I ranked the Nio number 1. Its not strictly "better' than the z1r or the trio, in fact I would likely say both the z1r and trio are actually better in a number of ways that I think are important to a lot of us here on these forums. Both the z1r and trio come across as more detailed, and both are a little more towards the more balanced signature that I think a lot of people here like. Bass on both the trio and z1r are a bit tighter and higher quality, while it can come across as a little loose on the nio. But with all of that, I just enjoy the nio more and I think it just hits my personal preferences a little better than either. Its an IEM I have had for 2 months now and I am still excited to use them every day, which is something that usually fades away quicker than this. The z1r is close behind, but the mids are not as full and lush as on the nio, and the fit is atrocious (even with custom tips) so as good as it may sound thats a big factor for me... Still deciding whether to sell it.

Some other things to note, I put the Atlas above the solaris and andromeda gold. I also dont think its again "better" than the other two, but I just enjoy it more. I also still have the atlas (though maybe not for long) and have already sold the solaris and andromeda if that says anything.

Always interesting to read all the different perspectives :) If you wind up selling your Atlas, let me know...I may be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back