Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
Apr 6, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #2,222 of 3,060
Hey guys I have a question, what's the proper way to amp a Sansa Clip+ with it's volume since I'm using the HO?

Did he just??! :O
This question should be outlawed lol.

From personal experience I'm in the "pre amp theory" camp, that is I place the clips volume fairly low and let the amp do most of the work. This produces the most lively sound imo.
Just be aware of "clipping"! (See what I did there?! OK I'll stop)

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #2,223 of 3,060
I guess I'll be joining the Budget-Fi club with a Sansa Clip+ (just ordered) and some MEElectronics M6 Pros.  I can get pics later, but I think they might just be redundant here.  I came up with that pair for a music solution on longer motorcycle rides.  I primarily ride dirtbikes in terrain where I wouldn't want the distraction, but occasionally I do long dual-sport rides and those long highway miles (or easy dirt roads) can seem even longer without music. 

I have a question, though...  Is there a budget portable DAP with wifi for streaming from an online music source (Spotify, Slacker, etc...)?  I have been using my phone to check out new-to-me music on some of the common services when I'm at home or work and have wifi access.  That works okay, but it would be nice to have a separate device so I'm not running down the already limited battery in my Moto X. And I don't have or have any interest in any i-devices.

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #2,224 of 3,060
Did he just??! :O
This question should be outlawed lol.

From personal experience I'm in the "pre amp theory" camp, that is I place the clips volume fairly low and let the amp do most of the work. This produces the most lively sound imo.
Just be aware of "clipping"! (See what I did there?! OK I'll stop)

Thanks.

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #2,225 of 3,060

I have a question, though...  Is there a budget portable DAP with wifi for streaming from an online music source (Spotify, Slacker, etc...)?  I have been using my phone to check out new-to-me music on some of the common services when I'm at home or work and have wifi access.  That works okay, but it would be nice to have a separate device so I'm not running down the already limited battery in my Moto X. And I don't have or have any interest in any i-devices.

I think for popular streaming apps you are basically going to be stuck with an Android or Windows device (since no want iThing). In the past there have been alternatives like Zune Music and Rhapsody on dedicated players but it seems like most of that has shifted to phones and tablets. There are a bunch of media-oriented wifi-only android handheld gadgets some like Samsung Galaxy-series, Sony F-series, Cowon PMP  with respected audio, but maybe slight price premium0 and innumerable tablets. For ultra-budget probably a good option woudl be to grab a second-hand/refurbished phone from a reputable source- poke around head-fi (inc. this thread) for good smartphone audio options - sometimes you can even get region/network locked phones for ultra cheap since you don't need the cell modem, just the wifi and relatively recent OS version (for instance, for a long time I used a Cincinatti Bell branded Galaxy S that was only 40 dollars, compared to the 2nd hand nationwide network versions it was a fraction the price of).

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #2,227 of 3,060
  I guess I'll be joining the Budget-Fi club with a Sansa Clip+ (just ordered) and some MEElectronics M6 Pros.  I can get pics later, but I think they might just be redundant here.  I came up with that pair for a music solution on longer motorcycle rides.  I primarily ride dirtbikes in terrain where I wouldn't want the distraction, but occasionally I do long dual-sport rides and those long highway miles (or easy dirt roads) can seem even longer without music. 

Hey Yardstick, are you any good with electronics? Maybe this will suit you. Or maybe you can get someone to build one for you. There is a sorta portable application.

https://volumio.org/

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #2,228 of 3,060

Hey Yardstick, are you any good with electronics? Maybe this will suit you. Or maybe you can get someone to build one for you. There is a sorta portable application.

https://volumio.org/

That would be excellent on a Raspberry Pi 2.
Great find!

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #2,229 of 3,060
Totally obvious answer just occured to me... an external battery or just an extra one.
blink.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #2,230 of 3,060
I saw the Galaxy players in some of my searching.  I have also seen the unlocked phone idea.  I may go that route at some point.  I tried that with my old Droid 2, but the audio isn't as good out of that phone as it is out of the Moto X.  The Droid 2 could have been an okay platform since it has the ability to accept a larger battery, or change batteries at least.  It also has a Micro-SD slot.  The Moto X is a sealed phone.  No changing the battery or expanding storage.  
frown.gif
 I was hoping there was something new(er) with better features and SQ.  Oh well.

The single board computer w/Volumio is an interesting idea.  I can imagine that setup getting pretty big, though.  Raspberry Pi 2 is small by itself, but has no wifi and no battery.  Some of the others add wifi, but still there's the battery and potentially DAC's/Amps to add.  I'm looking for something about phone sized and pocketable so I can listen while doing other things.  I have an Intel Nuc, Modi/Magni combo and AKG K267's that are "portable" but way too big to be a mobile listening platform.  
biggrin.gif

Edit:  Found it!  Maybe...  A Mugen Power expanded battery and Micro SD solution for the Moto X in the form of a protective case.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #2,231 of 3,060
TrollDragon said:
That would be excellent on a Raspberry Pi 2.
Great find!

Yep not really portable without some sort of battery pack but since you would require WiFi taking a phone charger with you is not a deal breaker.

If you can throw in a HiFiBerry (they also have an amp or something for digital outputs) or something similar, if all combined it is a great little gadget to listen to online services or files from a USB drive on your home setup

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #2,232 of 3,060
  The NX1 amp is quite small and together with the clip it still fits in the jeans pocket. The only reason why I had it was to achieve an overall better SQ (with IEMs and cans) which for me it did. It's a setup that was cheap for when I took it overseas I wouldn't be afraid of losing, which in the end I ended up losing somewhere so purpose achieved lol.

I agree with you that it doesn't sound very good with harder to drive cans like my HD800 or HE500 but adding the amp does IMO improve sound quality on my other cans and most of my IEMs.

I concur that the Clip does have better SQ when amped with efficient cans or ie/ciem's. My bud uses his clip with a RS Shadow and JH-13's on his motor bike and has excellent results. I played most of my phones on his rig at his place one day and thought the Shadow really improved the sound
wink_face.gif
 I don't think I would ever be mobile with hard to drive cans anyway, usually run them on nice desktop or tube amps and because of size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back