Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
Aug 5, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #391 of 3,060
Quote:

My budget work rig plugged into my work PC running foobar

budget? .... i sense sarcasm 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #393 of 3,060
It is funny what some people consider "budget". I say budget means under $100 for the complete setup, and preferably even under $60. A 4GB Sandisk Clip+, a 32GB class 4 micro SDHC card, and a JVC HAS400 headphone is around $75 total.  
A 4GB Sandisk Clip+, a 16GB class 4 micro SDHC card, and a Soundmagic ES18 earphone is only around $50 total.

Of course buying refurbs would make it even cheaper, however I hate the idea of buying refurbs and want new stuff.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #394 of 3,060
Quote:
It is funny what some people consider "budget". I say budget means under $100 for the complete setup, and preferably even under $60. A 4GB Sandisk Clip+, a 32GB class 4 micro SDHC card, and a JVC HAS400 headphone is around $75 total.  
A 4GB Sandisk Clip+, a 16GB class 4 micro SDHC card, and a Soundmagic ES18 earphone is only around $50 total.

Of course buying refurbs would make it even cheaper, however I hate the idea of buying refurbs and want new stuff.

maybe some consider "budget" as bang for the buck.. hmm.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #396 of 3,060
Quote:
maybe some consider "budget" as bang for the buck.. hmm.

Bang for the buck also usually means a low total price though, as with audio items there is typically so little improvement for each extra dollar spent compared to the low priced best value items. For example, I would love to get an mp3 player that has much more battery life than the Clip Zip, however I won't pay more than 4x the price of the Clip Zip to get it. The extra cost to build a Clip Zip with double the battery capacity and a slight bit thicker would probably be quite minimal, however it would make the player be so much more convenient.  

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #397 of 3,060
Quote:
Bang for the buck also usually means a low total price though, as with audio items there is typically so little improvement for each extra dollar spent compared to the low priced best value items. For example, I would love to get an mp3 player that has much more battery life than the Clip Zip, however I won't pay more than 4x the price of the Clip Zip to get it. The extra cost to build a Clip Zip with double the battery capacity and a slight bit thicker would probably be quite minimal, however it would make the player be so much more convenient.  

i totally agree with you on that though. :)

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #398 of 3,060
For me budget is finding that sweet spot where you hsvebt spent a fortune but you are getting quality sound.
My $200 amp and DAC is cheap by comparison to a lot of other hardware, but for the money they are great. IMO anyway.
My lcd2 I would NOT consider budget he he. Nor are the heaven iv, but again I think sound vs $ the finals are great value.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #400 of 3,060
I modified my budget rig to include a fantastic value amp that also is small enough to exercise, travel and otherwise beat up:

Sansa Clip + 4gb Rockboxed ($35 ebay) silicon case ($2.50 ebay) 16 gb micro sd ($18 Microcenter) Fiio e6 amp ($25 with free shipping- ebay) rubber bands (free, took them from a bunch of broccoli) philips she3580 series (blue)($7- Marshalls). Total $77.50. Interchange philips  with MEElectronics M6 ($15 ebay)

Ultimate beat em up audiophile rig for guilt free listening. The fiio adds that bid of control, soundstage and warmth. It is light and unobtrusive enough to clip on my shirt collar. and out of the way. Can take on trips or anywhere where I don't feel comfortable toting around more substantial and costly set ups.

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #404 of 3,060
At first (5-10 years ago) I was using various mobile phones (new phone per week, golden age :)) with stock earphones (the Sony Ericsson W980's SQ wasn't actually that bad and the Walkman IEMs were pretty good too). Then I bought the Sansa Clip Plus with 32GB. MicroSD and were using it with stock earbuds for about half a years. Then I've bought some Philips IEMS without horrible bass and mids. Then the Clip Plus died (I really liked that little thing... :frowning2:) so I bought his successor, the Clip Zip along with my beloved ATH-CKM55's. From the first time I'he met with the Zip, I hated it. Cheap materials used, cheap construction and freezing all the time. So it ended like this:

Then some time I was using again various Android phones with ****y SQ and then...

A.W.E.S.O.M.E
But after a few monts I needed money so I was forced to sell it so I'm back to ****y Android phones...

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #405 of 3,060
Quote:

Some of my old setups :p i still have the biscuit doe. 

Diggin' on the Rasta colors on the Red DAP and green and yellow straps on rig #1
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back