Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 9, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #16,486 of 16,931
  They've become my sole travel IEM - very small footprint in my luggage, very high isolation (stock tips or Comply T200s), durable build, and a generally smooth and pleasant sound well-suited for all sorts of use. Plus the sensitivity is low enough that they work decently well with in-flight multimedia systems. It's like they were made for travel 
biggrin.gif

Yes, I do quite a bit of travelling myself and that was my intended use when I bought them. I've always had problems wearing IEM's on flights du to the cabin preasure, we'll see if the Rockets are any different in that regard. I'm going to be on an 11 hour flight from London to LA in a month time so that will be the ultimate test 
gs1000.gif

The day I picked them up from the post office I was on my way to the gym so I used them there for the first time and I'm quite sure that they'll be my regular gym/working out IEM as well. Yes I do lovew them 
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #16,487 of 16,931
  but my question is the lack of strain relief in the housing (there is NONE) and being that they are a straight barrel housing, they cable will most definitely angle downwards (from the weight of the cable and jack and all)

also I've seen pictures that there isn't a LIP on the nozzle/housing, and heard incidents of the eartip being lodged in the ear. =( this was one of the reasons I was hesitant on the dunu 1000s

There is strain relief, just is inside the housing, the cable is stiff enough it doesn't bend that sharply without applied pressure, nor prone to kinks at the cable entrance (has a thickish clear plastic coating that seems to help). I always use it with a shirt clip though. Can wear them over-ear with the antiloop as well. If still a concern, could reinforce it yourself with some heatshrink I guess?

The housing has a detent for retaining tips- the problem has more to do with the sureseal tips, which live up to their name- its a soft pvc type material that almost sticks to the skin, forming a really strong seal and they can pull off inside the ear (this happens even when I use them on other inears with flared nozzle edges)- can also use most large nozzle style tips with these I think- I use JVC tips sometimes (coincidentally I like the aurisonics tips on jvc fxt90 a lot).

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #16,488 of 16,931

They've become my sole travel IEM - very small footprint in my luggage, very high isolation (stock tips or Comply T200s), durable build, and a generally smooth and pleasant sound well-suited for all sorts of use. Plus the sensitivity is low enough that they work decently well with in-flight multimedia systems. It's like they were made for travel 
biggrin.gif

Yes, I do quite a bit of travelling myself and that was my intended use when I bought them. I've always had problems wearing IEM's on flights du to the cabin preasure, we'll see if the Rockets are any different in that regard. I'm going to be on an 11 hour flight from London to LA in a month time so that will be the ultimate test 
gs1000.gif

The day I picked them up from the post office I was on my way to the gym so I used them there for the first time and I'm quite sure that they'll be my regular gym/working out IEM as well. Yes I do lovew them 
wink.gif

You guys are killing me
redface.gif
. First ljokerl hints that it *just may be* an upgrade to my beloved RE400. Then eke rides off into the setting sun with his "endgame IEM" And now all these reports on how it's all manners of perfect.

With the Fender acquisition, are the rockets "discontinued"? Only accessories through the Aurisonics site and no mention of the rockets on the fender site.

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #16,489 of 16,931

There is strain relief, just is inside the housing, the cable is stiff enough it doesn't bend that sharply without applied pressure, nor prone to kinks at the cable entrance (has a thickish clear plastic coating that seems to help). I always use it with a shirt clip though. Can wear them over-ear with the antiloop as well. If still a concern, could reinforce it yourself with some heatshrink I guess?

The housing has a detent for retaining tips- the problem has more to do with the sureseal tips, which live up to their name- its a soft pvc type material that almost sticks to the skin, forming a really strong seal and they can pull off inside the ear (this happens even when I use them on other inears with flared nozzle edges)- can also use most large nozzle style tips with these I think- I use JVC tips sometimes (coincidentally I like the aurisonics tips on jvc fxt90 a lot).

For some reason I missed the post from @Tom22 but this is a great post and I agree with everything in it. I'm actually wearing them over the ear without the antiloop without any problem but I'll try with them as well..........

You guys are killing me
redface.gif
. First ljokerl hints that it *just may be* an upgrade to my beloved RE400. Then eke rides off into the setting sun with his "endgame IEM" And now all these reports on how it's all manners of perfect.

With the Fender acquisition, are the rockets "discontinued"? Only accessories through the Aurisonics site and no mention of the rockets on the fender site.

LOL! There's always the next thing 
wink_face.gif

I'm actually not sure what will be kept by Fender and what's not but I'll guess/hope that more information will be available soon.

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #16,490 of 16,931
350 iems... Thats crazy, especially at the level of detail you review at. I got into Head-fi and the audio rabbit hole through this thread :p a thank you from me and also "why u do dis" from the wallet. By the way, definitely try the Fidue A73 sometime.

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #16,492 of 16,931
350 iems... Thats crazy, especially at the level of detail you review at. I got into Head-fi and the audio rabbit hole through this thread
tongue.gif
a thank you from me and also "why u do dis" from the wallet. By the way, definitely try the Fidue A73 sometime.

Thanks!

I have an A73, just need to spend more time with it. Fidue is really hitting a nice stride with their <$150 IEMs recently.

In Joker's buying guide, under warm and smooth, it goes from the EPH-100 for $100 to the Earsonics Velvet which is like $700. I'm looking for something with a price more like $200? What are my options?

I was never able to find a direct EPH-100 upgrade in that price range. Sony XBA-H3 is the closest I can think of, and that rarely drops below $250 (and also comes with some usability caveats thanks to its form factor vs the EPH-100). 

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #16,494 of 16,931
In Joker's buying guide, under warm and smooth, it goes from the EPH-100 for $100 to the Earsonics Velvet which is like $700. I'm looking for something with a price more like $200? What are my options?

You can consider the ATH-CKR9 or ATH-IM70.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #16,495 of 16,931
Anyone here had any luck comparing the rockets with say dunu titan-3?
If anything I can say the titan 3s are quite resolving in the mids and perhaps less smooth and more inclined towards energy. I haven't seen any Mid centric/focused iem shootout, bet that'd be fun!

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #16,496 of 16,931
OK I have a request for some suggestions: Basically looking for a BA version of the Aurisonics Rockets, specifically in terms of toughness and very small size, preferably with an unfatiguing easy/smooth signature and low volume listening. ATM best candidates look like Jays Q-Jays and etymotic hf-2/5- but I'm not sure either of these has the smooth/non-fatiguing aspect. Audiofly and Shure looked like prospects sound-wise but also a little on the large size.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #16,497 of 16,931
How does XBA-A3 compare against Fidue A83? I'm trying to figure out the price I should pay for secondhand IEMs (gonna post for offers in a local group)

Westone 4R 
FLC8S
Logitech UE900s 
NuForce Primo 8 
Shure SE535
Fidue A83 
Westone Pro 30/UM3xRC 
Sennheiser IE8/IE80
Oriveti Primacy 
Sony XBA-A3

Anything else I should consider? (Criteria for this is ~$500 with detachable cables)

Feb 17, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #16,498 of 16,931
How does XBA-A3 compare against Fidue A83? I'm trying to figure out the price I should pay for secondhand IEMs (gonna post for offers in a local group)

Westone 4R 

FLC8S

Logitech UE900s 

NuForce Primo 8 

Shure SE535

Fidue A83 

Westone Pro 30/UM3xRC 

Sennheiser IE8/IE80

Oriveti Primacy 

Sony XBA-A3

Anything else I should consider? (Criteria for this is ~$500 with detachable cables)

inear stagediver
campfire audio orion
mee p1
noble savent
audiofly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back