Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 30, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #48,001 of 48,562
Thanks @revolutionz . Question, was the the DCA Aeon 2 Noire open of closed back?
Would the Burson Playmate 2 with the v6 vivid opamp upgrade support the phones and a mic? I ask as the input pictographs show what appears to be a gaming headset.

Eric
Yes, there is a 1/4" output for phones and a 1/8" input for a mic.

Jul 1, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #48,002 of 48,562
You're not kidding, bass is absolutely not shy on these but I was impressed by it. I got some texture and detail in the bass that normally isn't apparent to me from other IEMs. Bass felt forward to me and I really appreciated how it didn't crowd out the other frequencies, even when it got big. Chris Cornell sounded a little flat to me (I am the Highway) which was disappointing but it was by no means unpleasant. Things got muddled in Zimmer's No Time for Caution and the midtones were swallowed up but that's a very busy track anyway. Sadly David Gilmour was a ghost of himself in Us and Them off of Pulse. I found them to have fun tuning with enough treble - which to me was nicely clear - to complement that luscious bass.

I was listening a second time to Andain's Beautiful Things - which I thought sounded excellent on these - when it dawned on me that these things were absolutely made for techno. I immediately pulled up Traceport and yup, now extremely satisfied. I still wouldn't mind fuller mids but that's not a complaint.

I think my biggest challenge with these is their shape prevents really good insertion into my very oddly-shaped ears. Comply foam worked well but it destroyed the treble. I was able to get a secure-ish fit finally with SednaEarfit Crystals.

Overall, though, I'm glad I bought these and I very much appreciate the tip on the bargain. I think I would have been happy paying more for these, especially with the obviously high-quality packaging and accessories (at this price the heavy cloth pouch is worth the purchase alone).
The price on Amazon is down to $7.95, so I ordered a set in Paladium. :D

Jul 1, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #48,003 of 48,562
The price on Amazon is down to $7.95, so I ordered a set in Paladium. :D
Wow, check out the price history on CamelCamelCamel, it's about the same for both colors:
1656688044319.png

I'm tempted to wait and see if they go down further on Prime Day but I also wouldn't be surprised if they sell out. Honestly if I didn't have such bad fit issues I would pull the trigger right away on another pair. Hell, I've been looking for a good storage solution for all of my existing IEMs, I could just buy a bunch of these things and use that cylindrical case they come with.

By the way, did you see that new planar Moondrop just announced? The look of the thing is sexy as all getout. I have thing for art deco.

Jul 1, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #48,004 of 48,562
Wow, check out the price history on CamelCamelCamel, it's about the same for both colors:

I'm tempted to wait and see if they go down further on Prime Day but I also wouldn't be surprised if they sell out. Honestly if I didn't have such bad fit issues I would pull the trigger right away on another pair. Hell, I've been looking for a good storage solution for all of my existing IEMs, I could just buy a bunch of these things and use that cylindrical case they come with.

By the way, did you see that new planar Moondrop just announced? The look of the thing is sexy as all getout. I have thing for art deco.
I did, and I saw the MoonZero and thought "the driver chamber is as big as a set of Audeze"

As for IEM storage, I've seen people use storage trays with cubicles in them, and roll them up and store them that way.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #48,005 of 48,562
Thanks @revolutionz . Question, was the the DCA Aeon 2 Noire open of closed back?
Would the Burson Playmate 2 with the v6 vivid opamp upgrade support the phones and a mic? I ask as the input pictographs show what appears to be a gaming headset.

Eric
Been looking at the Playmate 2 also - I understand the 3.5mm supports mic which makes it a perfect all rounder for my usage :)

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #48,011 of 48,562
Last night I was playing Forbidden West and had the SteelSeries Arctis Nova wired connected to the PS5. 3D audio really enhances weather effects like thunderstorms and they do sound above you. I haven't had much time to play lately but the wired Nova's still impress. Im not the best at describing audio but they sound very detailed and crip with bass that doesn't overpower. I still need to do more testing but since my return period is up Im keeping the Nova. Next time I want to test my Audio Technica 700x with the DAC.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #48,012 of 48,562
Last night I was playing Forbidden West and had the SteelSeries Arctis Nova wired connected to the PS5. 3D audio really enhances weather effects like thunder, storms do sound like they are above you. I haven't had much time to play lately but the wired Nova's still impress. I not the best at describing audio but they sound very detailed and crips with bass that doesn't overpower. I still need to do more testing but since my return period is up Im keeping the Nova's. Next time I want to test my Audio Technica 700x with the DAC.
I really enjoyed Steelseries virtual 7.1 on the Arctis Pro Wireless, I thought they did an excellent job with it. I'm wiling to bet the Nova is the same, if not better.

Jul 4, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #48,013 of 48,562
Last night I was playing Forbidden West and had the SteelSeries Arctis Nova wired connected to the PS5. 3D audio really enhances weather effects like thunderstorms and they do sound above you. I haven't had much time to play lately but the wired Nova's still impress. Im not the best at describing audio but they sound very detailed and crip with bass that doesn't overpower. I still need to do more testing but since my return period is up Im keeping the Nova. Next time I want to test my Audio Technica 700x with the DAC.
I'm going to try this game, Forbidden West, with the SB X7 and the Audeze LCD GX. Are there any particular enviroment or scene that I should test to match your experience?:)

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #48,014 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy now that to the SB X7 is discontinued, what is the next best option? I dunno what I’ll do if mine breaks, love how it does sound mixing from multiple inputs. Really makes it easy to have Xbox on and playing while in an Xbox party chat from my PC. Seamless.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #48,015 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy now that to the SB X7 is discontinued, what is the next best option? I dunno what I’ll do if mine breaks, love how it does sound mixing from multiple inputs. Really makes it easy to have Xbox on and playing while in an Xbox party chat from my PC. Seamless.
None of the current product from SB can match X7 versatility? X6, X5 and such?
most of the people I follow on youtube for example, are using non gaming product for headphone pairing, Schiit product for example? The sound blaster AE-9 seems like a good product, but as it comes ith internal powersupply, it may be less effective than the X7.. I don't know, like you, my X7 is still alive, but if it dies... it's nearly 6 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back