Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 4, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #48,016 of 48,566
None of the current product from SB can match X7 versatility? X6, X5 and such?
most of the people I follow on youtube for example, are using non gaming product for headphone pairing, Schiit product for example? The sound blaster AE-9 seems like a good product, but as it comes ith internal powersupply, it may be less effective than the X7.. I don't know, like you, my X7 is still alive, but if it dies... it's nearly 6 years old.
The solution is to get a proper headphone stack, and use software to supply VSS for your gaming. I find Redscape / Dolby Access / DTS Sound Abound cover all my VSS needs, depending if the game supports Atmos or DTS:X or only DirectSound. If you need a mic input, then you may want to use an interface or something like the Hel 2. I use a desk mic that has an USB option.

Jul 4, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #48,017 of 48,566
I'm going to try this game, Forbidden West, with the SB X7 and the Audeze LCD GX. Are there any particular enviroment or scene that I should test to match your experience?:)
I believe weather is dynamic if Forbidden West but I noticed with weather effects early in the game during the "Deaths Door" main quest level 10 I believe. I'll post further impressions later.
On another note, I was hoping Audeze was going to have a July 4th B Stock Sale no luck. I still want the Penrose X.

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #48,019 of 48,566
Hey all, I was pointed to this thread from the PC audio section, so I'll just copy and paste my post

I finally decided to go wireless, until now I was using DT 990 Pro 250Ohm with a DAC.

I am trying to decide between Steelseries 9X and Corsair Virtuoso XT. I've been doing dome basic testing with both and each has their pros and cons. I like that the Steelseries automatically switches the audio output when turned on and off, corsair doesn't. The 9X also has better bass response, Corsair sounds cleaner. Corsair is Dolby Atmos compatible, here's where I'd like someone to chime in how and if that is better in games, esp shooters where a good set will help you pinpoint the location of an enemy. I guess my biggest question is whether or not Dolby Atmos worth having.

RTINGS scored the 9X higher. I just want some input from someone that has used one or both. TIA

KRria2L.jpg

Jul 7, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #48,020 of 48,566
I played some BF2042 on PS5 last night with my AT700x connected to the new Steel Series GameDAC Gen 2. Everything sounded great with a crisp and clear wide soundstage. I tried the stereo in game setting and the 3D audio.

One thing I’m confused about with BF2042, do you have to turn off 3D audio in the OS and use the in game 3D solution? Same goes for XsX, is Atmos and 3D in game both need to be selected?

Jul 7, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #48,021 of 48,566
I played some BF2042 on PS5 last night with my AT700x connected to the new Steel Series GameDAC Gen 2. Everything sounded great with a crisp and clear wide soundstage. I tried the stereo in game setting and the 3D audio.

One thing I’m confused about with BF2042, do you have to turn off 3D audio in the OS and use the in game 3D solution? Same goes for XsX, is Atmos and 3D in game both need to be selected?
That's one question I'm interested in too. I don't know. Presently with my setup I use Creative virtual 7.1 and Creative's spatial solution as well. I have my game audio settings to Surround. The audio sounds just fine in that config. I do know there's a binaural headphone setting that the game offers. I would think, though, that the game designers would probably not want to do their own VSS or spatial. The average gamer I'd wager would have no idea what was happening if BF2042 was doing VSS/spatial on top of their own peripheral's processing and even less idea how to fix it.

Then again DICE might try and circumvent that problem with the "Auto" setup option which chooses an output mode based on Windows' speaker config, though that breaks in situations like mine where I run all my output through a mixer with a two-channel input. But if you have a setup like that you hopefully would know enough to troubleshoot things.

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #48,022 of 48,566

It's the one confusing thing about PS5 audio since day one I think - my understanding is, 3D Audio on the PS5 OS should only be on for those games that support it. BF2042 has it's own 3d audio I think so therefore the OS option should be switched off.

Think Sony really need to make it clearer which games are and are not supported.

Jul 8, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #48,023 of 48,566
Any game that mentions spatial audio, surround mode, etc, has its OWN DSPs, which means you should turn off external 3D/surround audio options, or system 3D audio dsps.

That being said, while I haven't heard 2042's built in surround, I have heard those before it, and they tend to sound great but not offer great positional accuracy. So I still prefer external devices like a Mixamp (in my case, a super old Mixamp 5.8 with Dolby Headphone). when I want to get real positional accuracy. I have the Creative GC7, but haven't had much use of it lately, since I play PS5 from the bed, and on my desktop setup, it's basically all PC gaming, which I use Redscape for.

On PS5, 3D audio works for basically everything, but unless a game is made with it in mind, it's more like a generic HTRF for other games, and sounds... not amazing. It's a poor man's alternative which to me is still favorable to plain stereo, but it does take a sound quality hit. Still, I will always prefer a hit to sound quality if it can help in positional accuracy however little it may be.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #48,024 of 48,566
Any game that mentions spatial audio, surround mode, etc, has its OWN DSPs, which means you should turn off external 3D/surround audio options, or system 3D audio dsps.

That being said, while I haven't heard 2042's built in surround, I have heard those before it, and they tend to sound great but not offer great positional accuracy. So I still prefer external devices like a Mixamp (in my case, a super old Mixamp 5.8 with Dolby Headphone). when I want to get real positional accuracy. I have the Creative GC7, but haven't had much use of it lately, since I play PS5 from the bed, and on my desktop setup, it's basically all PC gaming, which I use Redscape for.

On PS5, 3D audio works for basically everything, but unless a game is made with it in mind, it's more like a generic HTRF for other games, and sounds... not amazing. It's a poor man's alternative which to me is still favorable to plain stereo, but it does take a sound quality hit. Still, I will always prefer a hit to sound quality if it can help in positional accuracy however little it may be.
That's interesting, I can recall with certainty the feeling that when turning on Creative's spatial solution it definitely had the intended effect. I would think it wouldn't come through properly if it was being double-processed, so to speak.

Is there a method I can use to record audio that will preserve all of the fancy effects? I could try and record the whole thing and share it with all here for feedback.

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #48,025 of 48,566
Double processing would still yield positional benefits, though it'd butcher everything else. It'd still just be doubling down on HRTF positional cues, so it would still sound like it works. But that's not the correct way to use these things.

Jul 8, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #48,027 of 48,566
Double processing would still yield positional benefits, though it'd butcher everything else. It'd still just be doubling down on HRTF positional cues, so it would still sound like it works. But that's not the correct way to use these things.
Hmm. From your description as well as my own understanding I'm guessing I would be able to tell pretty easily if that were happening; the game certainly doesn't sound like everything is garbage besides positional cues.

In any case I'm still curious if you have any ideas on a recording method.

Jul 8, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #48,028 of 48,566
In Forbidden West at the end of the main quest called “Deaths Door” there’s some impressive 3D audio. So far Returnal and Forbidden West use the tempest engine well IMHO. I have to test Uncharted remastered collection next.

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #48,030 of 48,566
Does nobody help others on this forum? I've asked questions above and in the PC section and everything is getting ignored
You're not getting an answer because perhaps no one on this forum has an answer to your question? People here don't generally buy gaming headsets. We tend to use regular headphones since they tend to outperform gaming headsets.

Headfi in general doesn't tend to purchase mainstream gaming products like Corsair or Steelseries.

As far as Rtings goes, their stuff outside of tv or monitor display related reviews is suspect. I wouldn't touch their audio-centric reviews. I love those guys, but defintely not for headphones articles.

You asked me about Atmos, and I personally think Atmos is fine, but I prefer Dolby Headphone since the positional cues are more obvious. Atmos retains better sound quality, but positional are more reigned in and subtle. As far as my personal experiences goes.

I don't have an Xbox so can't say how well Atmos works there. I've only had experience with PC version of Atmos and it's been underwhelming. However, it's apparently best with games that natively support it, and don't fall back to generic htrf. I'll have to play a game that natively supports Atmos to really gauge how good it is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back