Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 10, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #48,031 of 48,568
Hey all, I was pointed to this thread from the PC audio section, so I'll just copy and paste my post

I finally decided to go wireless, until now I was using DT 990 Pro 250Ohm with a DAC.

I am trying to decide between Steelseries 9X and Corsair Virtuoso XT. I've been doing dome basic testing with both and each has their pros and cons. I like that the Steelseries automatically switches the audio output when turned on and off, corsair doesn't. The 9X also has better bass response, Corsair sounds cleaner. Corsair is Dolby Atmos compatible, here's where I'd like someone to chime in how and if that is better in games, esp shooters where a good set will help you pinpoint the location of an enemy. I guess my biggest question is whether or not Dolby Atmos worth having.

RTINGS scored the 9X higher. I just want some input from someone that has used one or both. TIA

KRria2L.jpg
I would stay wired and get the Audio Technica ATH-AD700(X) headphones.

Jul 11, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #48,032 of 48,568
Just wanna say, I'm super adversed to IEMs, because I can't stand anything going in my ears.

Well, my friend brought over his Sony linkbuds with the open ring design:

https://electronics.sony.com/audio/headphones/truly-wireless/p/wfl900-h

And I gotta say, it's literally the only IEM-replacement I'd ever consider getting, until more companies adopt this type of design.

Nothing goes IN your ear, and the design actually stays in place without any discomfort.

Bravo, Sony. They wouldn't replace my Koss clip ons, but maaaan, this would be a great alternative for me.

Comfort is king, and these got it. I probably wouldn't do serious audiuophile listening on these, but for on the go, yeah, these are pretty grand.

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #48,033 of 48,568
Have a question about RE2 audio menu.
There’s a “Sound Output Device” option
where one can select Headphones or Dolby Atmos. Below that is a 3D Audio Option. One combo could be Atmos and no 3D Audio? Or Headphones & 3D Audio? I think Atmos & 3D audio would be layering 2 solutions similar to BF games?

My next issues I can get 24bit audio from the PS5 but with Series X I only get 16bit is this an Atmos Headphone limitation? Im using the new Steel Series Nova Pro wired.

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #48,035 of 48,568
Have a question about RE2 audio menu.
There’s a “Sound Output Device” option
where one can select Headphones or Dolby Atmos. Below that is a 3D Audio Option. One combo could be Atmos and no 3D Audio? Or Headphones & 3D Audio? I think Atmos & 3D audio would be layering 2 solutions similar to BF games?

My next issues I can get 24bit audio from the PS5 but with Series X I only get 16bit is this an Atmos Headphone limitation? Im using the new Steel Series Nova Pro wired.

Not sure on RE2. Unfortunately. My logical assumption would be never to use headphone settings in game if using external processes at a Windows level. Or in this case, Xbox level. Not sure how the games 3D audio affects anything.

Best bet would be to test each individually.

As for 24bit or 16bit, doubtful 24bit is utilized. Going off (again) logical assumption from hardware experience, virtual surround is taking from 5.1/7.1 sources which is too many channels to take 24bit from, hence why Atmos limits to 16. There's gotta bea bandwidth limitation.

I'd likely believe the ps5 may accept 24bit but is converting down 16 if 3D audio is used like how the Creative G6 accepts 24/192 for 7.1 but really it's just 16/44 or something per channel. Don't quote me on that.

I have a liquid carbon x amp and hd660s I want to use with ps5. What usb ua1c dac can I use that will work properly? Thanks
My immediate choices for you would be Creative GC7, Creative G6, Schiit Fulla 4, Schiit Hel 2.

I'm sure they're more, but those are the 4 I know.

Jul 19, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #48,036 of 48,568
My immediate choices for you would be Creative GC7, Creative G6, Schiit Fulla 4, Schiit Hel 2.

I'm sure they're more, but those are the 4 I know.
I knew you would point me in the right direction, always have been a big help in the past. So would the chain looking something like PS5>Fulla 4> Liquid carbon X>headphones? Does the Fulla 4 have pass through where I can use it as a dac only or would it be acting like a amp going into another amp? Would that hurt anything? Thanks for your help

Jul 19, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #48,037 of 48,568
I knew you would point me in the right direction, always have been a big help in the past. So would the chain looking something like PS5>Fulla 4> Liquid carbon X>headphones? Does the Fulla 4 have pass through where I can use it as a dac only or would it be acting like a amp going into another amp? Would that hurt anything? Thanks for your help
You have to set the volume on the Fulla to a certain point to reach the equivalent of line out. There's no standard passthrough.

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #48,044 of 48,568
What should be on my shortlist for competitive gaming headsets (or headphones with 3rd party mics) for the Xbox Series X (FPS PVP)? I don't sit near my console so I may be handcuffed a bit in what I can implement beyond plugging directly into my elite controller. My budget is $300 USD.

Jul 24, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #48,045 of 48,568
What should be on my shortlist for competitive gaming headsets (or headphones with 3rd party mics) for the Xbox Series X (FPS PVP)? I don't sit near my console so I may be handcuffed a bit in what I can implement beyond plugging directly into my elite controller. My budget is $300 USD.
I'd recommend a Fidelio X2hr with a boom mic attached to the side. Way better than any headset, cheaper, and will be able to plug directly into your controller. AKG 712pro are really nice too, very light and comfortable. But may need an external amp to power. The X2s are an all rounder and require no amp to drive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back