Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 29, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #48,062 of 48,562
Jul 29, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #48,063 of 48,562
Look what came in today!

It's also going to be my next review.

Was waiting on iFi, but ended up just buying it outright from Amazon.

edit: You know whats freaking cool? It works on PS5 through USB AND it has a workable mic on the unit itself! :anguished:

1659115473789.png

1659115549485.png

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #48,065 of 48,562
So far, it's been a nice surprise. No white noise, lots of volume even on a 6XX, USB dac/amp works on my phone, PS5, etc, it's been solid.

So yeah, for those looking at a usb dac/amp for the PS5, you have another choice, and it works for on the go Bluetooth. A bit pricey, but since I travel a lot these days, I think it's worth it.

Jul 29, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #48,066 of 48,562
My main use case for the iFi might be different than most, but my PS5 setup would be:

Creative GC7 > 3.5mm to BT transmitter > BT to iFi Go Blu
Modmic wireless, headphone of choice

This is so I can transmit SXFI. I have tried the SXFI Theater headset from Creative, and the SXFI effect is subtle compared to what you get with the SXFI amp or GC7.

I've been using the BTR3K for this, and it works ok but as I mentioned more power would be nice.

When you review it, if you could touch on the range and BT stability, I'd appreciate it.

Jul 29, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #48,067 of 48,562
My main use case for the iFi might be different than most, but my PS5 setup would be:

Creative GC7 > 3.5mm to BT transmitter > BT to iFi Go Blu
Modmic wireless, headphone of choice

This is so I can transmit SXFI. I have tried the SXFI Theater headset from Creative, and the SXFI effect is subtle compared to what you get with the SXFI amp or GC7.

I've been using the BTR3K for this, and it works ok but as I mentioned more power would be nice.

When you review it, if you could touch on the range and BT stability, I'd appreciate it.
So my friend tested the range earlier today and between 2 walls and it was stable up to about 30feet. So I think with common sense, you can expect a pretty darn good range for a setup like yours. So if your transmitter is like in the middle of the home you're in, you should be perfectly fine anywhere in the house.

Jul 30, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #48,068 of 48,562
I know MLE is a big fan of virtual surround sound, but I have question that I have not been able to find info on. When using Atmos, Sonic, Wave, Redscape, or Sony Tempest at the system level (PC, XBSX, PS5) should a game that has 3D or SS in their audio tab be off or on? Does it work in conduction with system setting or double process it? Thanks for any help! Driving me nuts LOL

Jul 30, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #48,069 of 48,562
I know MLE is a big fan of virtual surround sound, but I have question that I have not been able to find info on. When using Atmos, Sonic, Wave, Redscape, or Sony Tempest at the system level (PC, XBSX, PS5) should a game that has 3D or SS in their audio tab be off or on? Does it work in conduction with system setting or double process it? Thanks for any help! Driving me nuts LOL
Double processes it. You should only use one.

Jul 30, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #48,070 of 48,562
Choose whichever sounds best for you, but yeah, don't use system level and game level audio options together. One or the other.

Jul 31, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #48,072 of 48,562
Guardians of the Galaxy is the only game i can think of that’s has a Dolby Atmos in game option under audio. I have to double check. I assume it’s fine to keep Atmos on the XsX at the OS level as well?
You should just test it yourself. It'll be easy to tell if it's double processing.

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #48,074 of 48,562
Hmm, so I ended up getting a cheap Apt-X low latency transmitter to use for my TV to send audio to the iFi GO Blu. I do have optical being sent to the Creative GC7, which does SBX surround out of its optical out to the transmitter via optical.

Works fine, though Apt-X Low Latency does have some periodic 'ticks' and little sound pops, though very minor. Doesn't occur on other codecs, so it has to be the codec's lower buffer. I'll take these little audio glitches over the ever constant Astro Mixamp 5.8 hiss. Doesn't happen much, but will happen once in awhile.

Time will tell.

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #48,075 of 48,562
I'm trying to find a pair of high quality wireless headphones to use with my PS3 (yes 3, I'm playing some "vintage" games), and I've been running into a few issues.

1. USB wireless tends not to work with PS3. I've tried a couple of USB wifi headsets that the PS3 identifies, but does not send audio.

2. Bluetooth is laggy. I have the PS3 routed to an AVR that does not transmit Bluetooth. I've tried a headphone jack bluetooth transmitter with aptX to send Bluetooth 5.2 to a Razer Barracuda X (headset is Bluetooth 5.2 but NOT aptX) and that's too laggy. Is aptX really fast enough?

3. I don't need a microphone.

4. Budget is wide open, I'd love to get really high quality sound if possible. But wireless & low latency is more important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back