Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 21, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #47,971 of 48,566
Has anyone attempted some TOTL gaming with the DCA Stealth? Opinions?
I use my Aeon 2 Noire for gaming, through a Burson Playmate 2 and switch back and forth between DTS and Dolby for VSS. They're very comfortable, and the imaging/soundstage is great. If I had to nitpick, and this is probably more of a VSS issue, sometimes I have problems with verticality, determining if footsteps are above or below me. Other than that, great.

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #47,972 of 48,566
Most VSS take from a 7.1 source. 7.1 has no vertical cues. Anyone ever tell you they hear things directly below or above is fooling themselves, as you can't get height cues from these. May will likely be confusing close proximity (in your head) sound cues as being above. I've made this mistake myself. A helicopter goes from in front to above and then behind me, it will sound like it passed above me, when really it passed, 'through' my head. As far as the VSS is concerned.

Atmos VSS MAY have height cues, but I've yet to hear any convincing height cues.

Tempest 3D audio.... well I've also yet to hear anything convincing here either.

The only thing that convinced me of height cues was virtual barber shop and other pre-recorded binaural tracks. Nothing live.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #47,973 of 48,566
Anyone ever tell you they heart things directly below or above is fooling themselves, as you can't get height cues from these.
I would say Descent and Thief… but I would be joking, because I haven’t played these old pre-Windows Vista games 😅

When I replay The Last of Us, I’ll keep an ear out for height cues, because that is supposed to have software-rendered azimuth (height) directionality. Ironically, Sony says the PS3 had better audio support than the PS4 (because of the cell-processor lending itself to multiple voices and audio DSP better), but hopefully we will see better audio with the PS5.

I also want to give special mention to the PSVR. That break-out box actually has a dedicated audio processor, and through various proprietary tricks it does actually support 3D audio. I am VERY much looking forward to the PSVR 2, with even better audio, more advanced motion tracking controllers and headset, and a more streamlined connection between console and headset!

I haven’t played it as much as I used to (my iPad Pro screen cracked! And my friends I played with have moved on since I got my new iPad Air!), but PUBG Mobile’s baked in surround sound was surprisingly good, and I believe it even did better than CoD’s confusing inability to tell when people are on the floor above or below the player (which has lead me to tactical mistakes several times). In PUBG, there are many people trying to fortify up in houses (or storming houses/apartments), and I had good reliability telling where someone was before I could see them based on sound alone. This is where I used my PC37X to death… except it wasn’t “to death,” the volume dial is a bit finicky now after all these years (I get a channel imbalance if I use the dial or bump the dial by accident), but it works when I leave the dial near max, and I still use it in my basement with my PS5, unless I happen to bring my PC38X down from the office 😅

I was an early adopter of the Audeze Mobius... and as I write this thinking about longer USB-C cable lengths and wondering if THAT headphone works when wired directly into the PS5, I realized that now that I have an iPad with USB-C, it might be an awesome time to break the old Mobius back out and see how that does plugged directly into the new iPad and rocking some rounds of PUBGM!

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #47,975 of 48,566
I’ve always enjoyed Mr Speakers/ DCA fullsized headphones, especially the open-backed models that felt a bit more rich. But they were all quite airy and seemed transparent, which I liked!

Hey @Zachik !!

Jun 22, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #47,976 of 48,566
Jun 22, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #47,978 of 48,566
Jun 22, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #47,979 of 48,566
My planars of choice are the Monolith M1570. Having a hard time justifying an "upgrade" since perfecting the EQ for them. If I was to try something new, I would be looking at Kennertons. Enjoy the M&D! Brass or Palladium?

I have that TOTL gaming with my M1570 and a desk mic. :)
Silver ones. Brass/gold isn't really my thing. You?
PXL_20220622_170035863.jpg

Jun 22, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #47,980 of 48,566
Silver ones. Brass/gold isn't really my thing. You?
Brass ones for me, I like the golden accents. So let us know what you think about the M&D House Sound. And clean out your ears before doing so... first time using them the right one got gunked up, and I had to give the filter a peroxide bath to restore channel balance.

@Mad Lust Envy I cannot agree with you on above/below cues. Some engines can be fed full x-y-z info, and generate some HRTFs with above/below cues, tho it has to be in the game engine. Also, some games support DTS:X or Atmos, and will provide up to 15 channels (Windows Spatial specs allow for up to 15 channels) and games like RotTR using Atmos out can do 7.4.1 for above/below cues, IF you use the corresponding decoder, ie Atmos - Dolby Access, DTS:X - DTS Sound Abound.

If the game has it's own HRTF generator, and uses a full 360 around and above model, then it too can generate above/below cues.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #47,981 of 48,566
Today I decided to play with the M&D ME05 buds at my desk, using my desk stack (Asgard 3 + Redscape) and dug out the Creative G6, and did some gaming on both. One of the first things I discovered is don't use these IEMs on High Gain of the G6, as the bass levels get BOOMY fast. The G6 and SBX actually do a very good job with these, as I was able to hunt down critters in Diablo II Resurrected easily by positional audio, and those horns blowing in Town... HA. :D

The smooth presentation of the ME05 mate well with the somewhat grainy output of the G6, and conceal this flaw nicely, to the point that I don't notice it much. It hits me in the face when driving the DT-1990 / M1570. So maybe it's a matching issue. The ME05 mic also works rather well being a shirt-clip mic, and the TRRS plug works with the G6 for feeding the mic to the unit. Also, the G6 doesn't get hot driving these IEMs, as opposed to my power hungry cans.

The Asgard 3 has no problem with these IEMs using Low Gain on the A3, and no issues with frequency response or any imbalances. In the end, the ME05 make for great IEMs to game on, and watch movies with. Bass is not shy on these w/o being bloated, and I find the stock tuning to be spot on, so EQ isn't required.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #47,982 of 48,566
Brass ones for me, I like the golden accents. So let us know what you think about the M&D House Sound. And clean out your ears before doing so... first time using them the right one got gunked up, and I had to give the filter a peroxide bath to restore channel balance.

@Mad Lust Envy I cannot agree with you on above/below cues. Some engines can be fed full x-y-z info, and generate some HRTFs with above/below cues, tho it has to be in the game engine. Also, some games support DTS:X or Atmos, and will provide up to 15 channels (Windows Spatial specs allow for up to 15 channels) and games like RotTR using Atmos out can do 7.4.1 for above/below cues, IF you use the corresponding decoder, ie Atmos - Dolby Access, DTS:X - DTS Sound Abound.

If the game has it's own HRTF generator, and uses a full 360 around and above model, then it too can generate above/below cues.
I'm mainly referring to the 7.1 based engines. I know there's ones that can do height cues. I believe Overwatch's innate Dolby Atmos engine has height cues.

But there's a distinct lack of those in comparison to what we typically get.

I didn't get to hear TOO much at CanJam from other companies, but I did hear the 800S off the 820 whatnot amp. Probably a better sense of soundstaging than I remember from the pre-finalized 8XX. I also heard the HD820 closed back, and thought they did a great job translating the HD800 type of sound, if a little different. Not sure why it gets a lot of detractors. My guess is too much FR graph advocates, who listen with eyes instead of ears.

Hifiman's Sundara was REALLY solid. It's super good. I mean it's no surprise considering all the years I spent reviewing HFM stuff. Kinda wish I had a chance to review it before joining Audeze.

The sub-$400 purely analog range is something I want Audeze to push in the future as I know we can compete, but just don't have anything there at the moment.

I heard the RAAL stuff briefly which was a cool experience, though a bit too niche in terms of use case for what I'd need out of high end.

I wanted to hear ZMF gear, but couldn't find the time. It was on my to do list. Probably what I'm most interested in outside of Audeze.

Heard the Stax new headphone which sounded great as expected of being uber high-end.

There's other stuff I would've loved to hear at the show, but being at work, and you know...

CanJam really is a fantastic experience, and must be super awesome as a general consumer.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #47,983 of 48,566
Most VSS take from a 7.1 source. 7.1 has no vertical cues. Anyone ever tell you they hear things directly below or above is fooling themselves, as you can't get height cues from these.
It also makes me chuckle when i hear people talk about headphones for gaming and how well they can hear if something is above or below in games without any kind of hrtf. But no, headphone X has much better vertical imaging than headphone Y, even tho they play without any kind HRTF, because they think it doesn really work and in general every VSS is just a gimmick.....

The argument is basically always the same, that HRTF is not accurate enough, way too depend on the persons ears, pure stereo is way more consistent and soundstage/imaging of the headphone is all that matters. I tried to look if i can find any numbers or studys, for how many % of people a generalized HRTF is better than pure stereo sound, but i couldnt find anything.

While i dont disagree, that Soundstage/Imaging definitely play a role, i personally think that a proper HRTF signal is way more important. Im mostly playing Apex at the moment and that game without any kind of VSS is just a mess. Even with VSS its still hard to hear where people are coming from, it has so many multi-level buildings but basically no vertical sound information (sometimes you can hear if somebody is above/below you because of occlusion effects).

Jun 28, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #47,984 of 48,566
Today I decided to play with the M&D ME05 buds at my desk, using my desk stack (Asgard 3 + Redscape) and dug out the Creative G6, and did some gaming on both. One of the first things I discovered is don't use these IEMs on High Gain of the G6, as the bass levels get BOOMY fast. The G6 and SBX actually do a very good job with these, as I was able to hunt down critters in Diablo II Resurrected easily by positional audio, and those horns blowing in Town... HA. :D

The smooth presentation of the ME05 mate well with the somewhat grainy output of the G6, and conceal this flaw nicely, to the point that I don't notice it much. It hits me in the face when driving the DT-1990 / M1570. So maybe it's a matching issue. The ME05 mic also works rather well being a shirt-clip mic, and the TRRS plug works with the G6 for feeding the mic to the unit. Also, the G6 doesn't get hot driving these IEMs, as opposed to my power hungry cans.

The Asgard 3 has no problem with these IEMs using Low Gain on the A3, and no issues with frequency response or any imbalances. In the end, the ME05 make for great IEMs to game on, and watch movies with. Bass is not shy on these w/o being bloated, and I find the stock tuning to be spot on, so EQ isn't required.
You're not kidding, bass is absolutely not shy on these but I was impressed by it. I got some texture and detail in the bass that normally isn't apparent to me from other IEMs. Bass felt forward to me and I really appreciated how it didn't crowd out the other frequencies, even when it got big. Chris Cornell sounded a little flat to me (I am the Highway) which was disappointing but it was by no means unpleasant. Things got muddled in Zimmer's No Time for Caution and the midtones were swallowed up but that's a very busy track anyway. Sadly David Gilmour was a ghost of himself in Us and Them off of Pulse. I found them to have fun tuning with enough treble - which to me was nicely clear - to complement that luscious bass.

I was listening a second time to Andain's Beautiful Things - which I thought sounded excellent on these - when it dawned on me that these things were absolutely made for techno. I immediately pulled up Traceport and yup, now extremely satisfied. I still wouldn't mind fuller mids but that's not a complaint.

I think my biggest challenge with these is their shape prevents really good insertion into my very oddly-shaped ears. Comply foam worked well but it destroyed the treble. I was able to get a secure-ish fit finally with SednaEarfit Crystals.

Overall, though, I'm glad I bought these and I very much appreciate the tip on the bargain. I think I would have been happy paying more for these, especially with the obviously high-quality packaging and accessories (at this price the heavy cloth pouch is worth the purchase alone).

Jun 29, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #47,985 of 48,566
I'd given up on wireless (really want better sound) and want the "best" sound (wide stage, great details, not lacking in bass/treble/highs), in a small footprint of a setup. I am looking at dacs that have mic inputs.

Anyone here have or have thoughts on this setup mainly for gaming (I am sure I will be doing music or movies with this):
  • Hifiman Arya Stealth Edition
  • Audeze Boom Mic Cable
  • Schiit Hel 2E
Thanks,
Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back