Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 2, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #47,476 of 48,562
I can agree, HD800S has been the best headphone I have used while FPS gaming. I have been using the PC38X with Fulla Schiit on PS5 recently, trying to get used to them to compare them with the Dunu SA6 with Topping E30/L30 and USB wireless ModMic that I usually use. Want to test to see if I can tell a difference between using open back headphones (with Tempest 3D Audio) and IEMs (potentially no 3D audio); I usually play Apex Legends and Rocket League, so I don't think they support 3D audio anyways...

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #47,477 of 48,562
PS - has there been a thread dedicated to PS5 Tempest audio? I don't remember seeing one and would like to discuss which games utilize it the best.

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #47,478 of 48,562
PS - has there been a thread dedicated to PS5 Tempest audio? I don't remember seeing one and would like to discuss which games utilize it the best.
Let me know if you find one; I listed it among several other spatial audio (formerly headphone surround) filters in my blog in my signature. I’ve been pretty impressed with it in Returnal, but money was tight and the backlog is real, so I haven’t played many “full-fat” PS5 games yet 😅

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #47,479 of 48,562
Let me know if you find one; I listed it among several other spatial audio (formerly headphone surround) filters in my blog in my signature. I’ve been pretty impressed with it in Returnal, but money was tight and the backlog is real, so I haven’t played many “full-fat” PS5 games yet 😅
Funny you mention Returnal. I borrowed it from a friend a few months ago, never got past the title screen bc other games too precedence. He dropped by Saturday last week to pick it back up.....

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #47,480 of 48,562
There’s a case to be made that we are over saturated with great games right now 😂 Thank goodness for backwards compatibility, because I probably have over a thousand hours of really good gameplay I haven’t even touched yet 😂

I really like Returnal, and so does @NiGHTS4EVA and @Yethal. Even Day[9], if you want a YouTube personality 😂 The senses of wonder, mystery, and danger are strong, the gameplay is challenging and rewarding, but I also feel it is a great showcase of the PS5’s next gen features. There is haptic rain on your controller, the resistive triggers give you two stages and modes of fire, there is some raytracing in the visuals and great particle effects, and of course there is full usage of Tempest 3D audio. There have been several instances of me dodging something off-screen in just the Nick of time, but it’s also very atmospheric and immersive to the game world. I’ve been playing it with my PC38X plugged into my good old Creative BlasterX G5, and woah the soundtrack and bass effects are impressive as they wash over you!

While the scale of the game is simultaniously expanded and limited by it’s indie nature and shuffled-rooms style procedurally generated levels, and some people are afraid of rogue-lite games (each biome is a checkpoint, and you do earn some persistent currency, unlock permanent suit upgrades, buuut you are supposed to die and try each biome a few times), I do think it’s a very solid game and should garner a cult-following. If you liked the Alien and Prometheus movies, and soulsborne games, you would probably like Returnal :)

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #47,481 of 48,562
For those of you that have monster gaming rigs - do you use a USB isolator to reduce static/noise coming out of the PC into your external DAC?

I'm having that problem with my Bifrost 2, so I had to switch to optical (not ideal) to get rid of the noise. Any recommendations?

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #47,482 of 48,562
Dec 4, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #47,483 of 48,562
For those of you that have monster gaming rigs - do you use a USB isolator to reduce static/noise coming out of the PC into your external DAC?

I'm having that problem with my Bifrost 2, so I had to switch to optical (not ideal) to get rid of the noise. Any recommendations?
I have it on my rig, and use an isolator dongle to fix mine. But the Bifrost 2 is suppose to have an isolator circuit built-in.

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #47,488 of 48,562
Just got the VZR Model One in. Great build quality and they feel comfortable. I'll leave it running on my MP3 player overnight and do some real listening tomorrow.

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #47,489 of 48,562
Ok, will definitely get it. Any particular high quality USB cables that you guys use that are worth the money?
For the standard USB type A or USB A to B cables, I like the Belkin Gold line. They’ve sadly been discontinued, but I easily found a large selection on eBay for $12. These ain’t no printer cables… they’re well built to meet or exceed the USB Standard specifications :)

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #47,490 of 48,562
So I'm trying to decide between the Sound BlasterX G6 and the Schiit Hel2. Is there any strong preference one way or another? Mainly concerned about the sound quality. I'll be using both on my PS5 and PC. I'm not concerned about the price difference between the two, primarily which will sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back