Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 5, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #47,491 of 48,568
So I'm trying to decide between the Sound BlasterX G6 and the Schiit Hel2. Is there any strong preference one way or another? Mainly concerned about the sound quality. I'll be using both on my PS5 and PC. I'm not concerned about the price difference between the two, primarily which will sound better.
Dont have experience with schiit hel2, but i love my blasterx g6. I use it daily on my xbox series x and pc, and also when working from home in zoom-calls and listening to music while working. Play alot of battlefield and use it without any sbx, i let dolby atmos stand for surround when i need it. It works great, is simple to use and i have nothing bad to say about it.

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #47,492 of 48,568
So I'm trying to decide between the Sound BlasterX G6 and the Schiit Hel2. Is there any strong preference one way or another? Mainly concerned about the sound quality. I'll be using both on my PS5 and PC. I'm not concerned about the price difference between the two, primarily which will sound better.

The G6 is a solid choice. I'd get it over the Hel2 in my opinion.

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #47,493 of 48,568
Hel 2 is a much stronger amp and has a better DAC. It's also very simplistic to use, so if you're not about all the features and things you won't use, go with the Hel 2. Otherwise, the G6 is for those that love to tailor a bunch of options. There are upsides to having a lot of options, but it can also be a bit overwhelming. The other benefit of the G6 over the Hel 2 is that it doesn't need to be powered through an outlet, while the Hel 2 does. So the G6 can be used on the go for laptops, etc. It also has SBX if you use virtual surround, which is a better choice than Tempest 3D on PS5 and Dolby Atmos, IMHO.

If it were up to me, I'd get the G6 and then save up for like a Magni or better for an amp to pair with it later.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #47,495 of 48,568
I was interested in the G6 as well however looking at the gamevoice mix setup on Soundblasters site turned me off. "Connect the supplied optical cable from the SPDIF Out/optical out of the HDMI-to-Optical converter into the optical in port of the Sound BlasterX G6" : O Since he PS5 has an HDMI 2.1 port I rather just leave that connected directly to my TV and not fudge with it. You can thus plug it to the PS5s USB port or am I misunderstanding it?

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #47,496 of 48,568
If your TV has Dolby Digital (making sure the TV sound options has bitstream/dolby digital) out capablity, you don't need an adapter. Just plug the optical cable straight from the TV's optical out (if you want to use things like SBX). Otherwise, you can just use the USB connection on the PS5, if you don't plan on needing the dolby digital source for virtual surround. It'll work like a regular usb/dac amp in this manner, with mic input.

If you're planning on using the G6 just as a usb device for the PS5, this is where I'd personally go with the Hel 2 instead. A higher tier device, though simpler in function. More performance just as a stereo dac/amp than the G6.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #47,499 of 48,568
How often has this thread been updated. I haven’t been here in years. Always trusted Mad Lust Envy’s review in the past! Also it’s there a different thread with reviews like this?
I'm always around, if you mean first page, I plan on reviewing the Koss KPH40 soon. Not exactly the most exciting entry, but it's something I love, so I wanna write about it. My last review was 3 months ago too. So it's not like I don't do anything. :p

As I work for Audeze now, I have to be a bit more careful in what I put out there in the world.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. The USB hub fixed the problem perfectly :)
Damn, you got that thing quickly!

But yeah, sometimes USB noise can be mitigated by having the hub feed whatever is connected to it, power that isn't coming from the source system/PC. Trust me, it wasn't for lack of trying. It took me awhile to find a fix.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #47,500 of 48,568
I spent some time with the VZR Model One yesterday and they are easily the best gaming headset I've ever heard. Keeping in mind I haven't heard any of the Audeze or Sennheiser/EPOS models, but at the very least I can say that none of those will touch this in terms of build quality. I think I agree with Eurogamer's take the most for their sound signature. It's spacious for a closed back (I have no idea if that's due to the "acoustic lens" or not). It has a warmer and slightly more laid back sound to me, not completely neutral like I've seen some reviews say. Now hopefully Creative will fix the PS5 volume issue with the Play! 4 so I don't have to keep using the controller output (it does get them plenty loud though)

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #47,501 of 48,568
I spent some time with the VZR Model One yesterday and they are easily the best gaming headset I've ever heard. Keeping in mind I haven't heard any of the Audeze or Sennheiser/EPOS models, but at the very least I can say that none of those will touch this in terms of build quality. I think I agree with Eurogamer's take the most for their sound signature. It's spacious for a closed back (I have no idea if that's due to the "acoustic lens" or not). It has a warmer and slightly more laid back sound to me, not completely neutral like I've seen some reviews say. Now hopefully Creative will fix the PS5 volume issue with the Play! 4 so I don't have to keep using the controller output (it does get them plenty loud though)
Oh, that's a handsome piece of kit.

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #47,502 of 48,568
1. The Surround function on the GC7 is not properly handling 7.1/5.1 channel into headphone surround. The rear positional cues don't sound like they're mixing down from a rear channel source. The G6's SBX surround implementation sounds much better in comparison, with proper surround cues.

We identified a bug in the channel mapping and we will be rolling a fix for this in addition to other device optimization. The consolidated update is planned for release latest within these 2 months. We’ll keep you updated when it’s released. Great that you caught it! Most folks couldn’t tell the difference 😊
Is there any information, if this has been fixed until now?

I tried several Software-Virtual-Surround-Sound-Programs for Apex Legends in the last weeks and would also like to try the GC7, but if its still broken, i dont think its a good idea to get it.

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #47,503 of 48,568

I tried several Software-Virtual-Surround-Sound-Programs for Apex Legends in the last weeks and would also like to try the GC7, but if its still broken, i dont think its a good idea to get it.
Have you found anything that works for Apex? I haven't found anything that makes it sound better, just kinda accepted that it sounds the way it does.

Dec 7, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #47,504 of 48,568

I recently used the GC7, and the non-SXFI surround mode works, only in 5.1 mode (not 7.1). Latest software. I haven't heard anything from Creative as of yet.

Dec 7, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #47,505 of 48,568
I recently used the GC7, and the non-SXFI surround mode works, only in 5.1 mode (not 7.1). Latest software. I haven't heard anything from Creative as of yet.
Thanks for the information, I wont buy it then.

Have you found anything that works for Apex? I haven't found anything that makes it sound better, just kinda accepted that it sounds the way it does.
I tried the following Surround-Sound-Programms with my DT1990 (with analytical pads):

Dolby Atmos from Windows Store: It's not really good, the biggest problem is, that the bass is boosted so much that it covers a lot of sounds. If u dont use the "Gaming Performance Mode" and use one with custom EQ and turn the bass down it gets a bit better, i still didnt like it tho. It also kinda felt like that loud sounds sound even louder with Atmos, which made it really uncomfortable to play with it.

DTS:X from Windows store: I didnt like this as well, it had too much reverb for my liking. It also sounded like loud sounds (like gunshots) were too loud, not as bad as with atmos, but still too much for my taste.

Razer THX Spatial Audio: The "Tournament" (highs boosted way too much, similiar to creatives scout mode) and "Ambiant Sound" (way too much reverb) setting were really bad, the standard "THX Spatial Audio" setting was pretty good tho. I prefered this over stereo, it definitiely made it easier for me to spot other players. The problem with it is the bad razer software, one day it works really good, the next day its just broken out of nowhere. The Problems were: sometimes everything sounds like its coming from above u, another time the sound just plays in muffled stereo, another time the surround sound kinda works but also not really, because it sounds different than it should sound. The software overall is just buggy, and I had to reinstall it several times.

Im currently trying out HeSuvi, but there are so many options, i havent been able to find one that im 100% satisfied with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back