Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 28, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #47,462 of 48,565
Hi, MLE & other ps5 owners.
May I ask a question here?

At the moment I use a ps5 - hdmi optic adapter- astro mixamp- pc38x with virtual surround on and without tempest 3d. because of all the wires I play on a monitor. Now im gonna move to a new house in a couple a weeks and bought a 120 fps-4k tv so I'm propably gonna be gaming on a tv and will be playing with my pc38x directly in the controller with tempest 3d on. I already tested this (the 5 profiles on ps5) on cod vanguard & warzone but directional sound(footsteps etc) is so bad compared to my mentioned setup. Does anyone tried both and recognise this? And or has any advice?

Thnx!

Yea, so there is a sanity check you guys can do if you are questioning whether the processing is actually working right and giving you a big advantage. Record yourself and have a continuous sound positioned in front of you, then rotate clockwise. Then have the sound behind you and rotate counterclockwise. Then rip the audio and put it into an ABX tester.

If the two sound the same or very similar, then there is a problem.

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #47,463 of 48,565
Just look at my KSC35/Sportapro review on the first page. They'll essentially perform the same.

As far as I'm concerned, the KPH40 would be the easiest recommendation for me for any purpose (not headset) under $100, and my absolute go to as a secondary or tertiary headphone to compliment your big boy headphones. I would never live without it.

Since the KPH40 exists now, I'd replace the PortaPro/SportaPro in the hierarchy, mainly because the KPH40 headband is just better, period. Howver, as I'm not someone who'd use the headband, I'd take whatever is cheapest and attach KSC75 clips to them (personally speaking). Right now, they're all so close in price, I'd just get the KPH40 for the newer driver cover. edit: I see the SportaPro is $22 right now, which is CONSIDERABLY cheaper than the others at the moment, and I'd GREATLY recommend you get those if you already have a headband or clips, as the Sporta are just PortaPros with a crappier headband, which you can just take the drivers and attach to any clips or other higher end headbands.

I've long been a Koss 60ohm driver fanboy, and that remains.

Maybe I should do a Koss 2021 Review Update :ksc75smile:

KPH30i don't make sense these days, now with the KPH40 out.

edit: Trying to compare the KPH40 on KSC75 clips, with KSC35/PortaPro on KSC75 clips... I CAN hear a difference. The KPH40 drivers seem to split the difference between the brighter/dryer sound of the KSC75, and the bassier, smoother, darker sound of the PortaPro/KSC35. Interesting. Let me compare the other PortaPro I have to it, to see if it holds true.

Ok so yeah, the KPH40 = more neutral, not as bassy as Porta/35 drivers. This has the effect of pushing the vocals out more. It's good, though I kinda like the more bombastic bass on the Porta/35 drivers. Not sure I'd choose these over a Sportapro/Portapro driver, but these are amazing times for Koss fans. These are likely going to be the new king overall.

I'd say it def falls outside of driver variation, as my Porta and 35 sound identical, and these just don't sound like those.

That is...unless Koss has updated all of them to these new drivers. Who knows...
Whoa between Pro and KSC75? sounds perfect! Hope these launch in Europe soon

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #47,464 of 48,565
In combination with a blue tooth adapter?

Yeah, I'd look into the Creative BT-W3.

Whoa between Pro and KSC75? sounds perfect! Hope these launch in Europe soon
Yeah. However, it can also be that Koss updated the PoprtaPro/KSC 35, Sporta driver and is using that new version for the KPH40. The reason I say this is because the new PortaPro utility LOOKS like it has the same housing as the KPH40, so it could presumably be the same, and they don't use the drivers from before. However, to ensure you get the new driver, get the KPH40.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #47,465 of 48,565
Thnx!
I tried googling how to set this up with a ps5, tv, g6 and pc38x, but the internet just seems to tell you how to set this up with any bluetooth headset.
do i plug the little adapter in the controller, optic in a tv, g6 via usb in the ps5?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #47,466 of 48,565
Yeah, I'd look into the Creative BT-W3.

Yeah. However, it can also be that Koss updated the PoprtaPro/KSC 35, Sporta driver and is using that new version for the KPH40. The reason I say this is because the new PortaPro utility LOOKS like it has the same housing as the KPH40, so it could presumably be the same, and they don't use the drivers from before. However, to ensure you get the new driver, get the KPH40.
I received my KPH40 yesterday just in time since it’s not available on Amazon at the moment. Now I see what all the fuss is about. Tested them out on some music and these little headphones are truly marvelous! Going to try them out on the PS5 plugged into the controller next. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Nov 29, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #47,467 of 48,565
Hey guys what are the best headphones for gaming in the $500-1500 price range? Closed or open doesn't really matter. Is HD800/HD800s the endgame / holy grail for gaming? I am interested in semi-competitive FPS and mostly for the soundstage, positional accuracy and for 3D sound

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #47,468 of 48,565
Hey guys what are the best headphones for gaming in the $500-1500 price range? Closed or open doesn't really matter. Is HD800/HD800s the endgame / holy grail for gaming? I am interested in semi-competitive FPS and mostly for the soundstage, positional accuracy and for 3D sound

If it's competitive - HD800s from what others have told me. If you want immersion and to feel explosions etc, go with the Fostex TH900 or 909.

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #47,469 of 48,565
Thats a huge spending range.

If you don't mind spending the money, get an HD800S and call it a day. You will always be wondering what you're missing out on if you don't.

If you don't feel the need to spend the money you can get great sounding headphones for a lot less that are great in games. I bought a pair of 990 Pro's on sale a few months ago and my HD800S grew cobwebs on them after. (Literally, I picked then up and there were spiderwebs in them). They're super fun if you like a more v-shaped sound (I do in games especially). Easy to drive. Great soundstage and I was really impressed with their imaging. Super accurate. MLE has a review of them on the first page. Treble is a real thing on these cans but for "competitive" FPS soundwhoring that can actually come in handy. But unlike the HD800S you don't need any EQ if you want some more "fun" elevated bass either.

I really like them, I feel like they're a fantastic performer for their price range (especially on sale).

Nov 30, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #47,470 of 48,565
I have a decision to make regarding headphones for gaming. I am currently choosing between getting the fostex t50rp with a desire to mod them with clay, felt and cotton, or getting the monoprice 1060c. I was planning on getting the fostex a couple of months ago but choose to wait until christmas instead. I am a noob when it comes to headphones but like to tinker a little bit and would love the project, at the same time the drivers in the monoprice seems good.

I have a dac/amp that i think can run the fostex and am looking for a headphone that gives me good immersion for single player games, not trebblefocused competitive games. Open-backs are out of the question for family reasons.

Any tips or pointers on what to aim for?

Nov 30, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #47,471 of 48,565
If you don't mind spending the money, get an HD800S and call it a day. You will always be wondering what you're missing out on if you don't.
I'd put my Monolith M1570 up against the HD-800S anyday.

@p1zzap1e Take a look at Kennerton's offerings, they have some excellent closed-backs. The Magni and Gjallahorns are graphene dynamic drivers, and the other models are planars.

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #47,474 of 48,565
2 things:

1. removed the UAC1 DAC between my PS5 and Topping E30 DAC, sent audio through HDMI to TV, then TV to E30 through optical. I can confirm this functions, but don't think 3D audio is passed as well (didn't test to find out).

2. Bought a Schiit Fulla to have an alternative when I want to use the PC38X headset and not IEMs + wireless modmic. Worked 100% with PS5, no issues, no complaints. However, I didnt realize the Xbox Series S/X does not support mic input over USB (havent messed with an xbox in years). Apparently xbox wont let you use a usb mic...at all (without adapters/work arounds). I tried for a good 45 minutes to get the Fulla and E30/L30 to work through different routes; sounded GREAT when playing Halo Infinite, but i could only use my mic when the headset was plugged into the controller, which made the audio sound bad. Made me appreciate Sony even more.

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #47,475 of 48,565
In combination with a blue tooth adapter?
Just in case you wondered what the point of the USB Bluetooth dongle was… the X7 is not compatible with the PlayStation USB. However, the X7 is very, very versatile. Since it can play audio from multiple sources at once, what you do is use the Bluetooth for chat audio, the optical for game audio (make sure both your console and TV/optical extractor are set to passthrough the Dolby bitstream), and then you will hear everything and you can plug your mic into the port on front of the X7 (or use the X7’s built-in mic… which is just ok).

I did this for years, also had my USB connected to my computer and the speaker taps connected to either small bookshelf speakers or a Stax energizer. The X7 was ideal for dorms/apartments.

If it's competitive - HD800s from what others have told me. If you want immersion and to feel explosions etc, go with the Fostex TH900 or 909.
HD 800(S) with gaming is a unique experience. It sounds hyper realistic rather than entertaining, and the incisive resolution and detail really do just make things easy to hear. It’s an edge-of-your-seat presentation that really grabs your attention, and it has low distortion.

I do get tired sitting on the edge of my seat after a few matches though. In FPS games in particular… gunshots aren’t exactly soothing sounds, and the HD 800(S) reproduces that faithfully even if it is fatiguing. So, I was using an HD 660S because it was almost as detailed, but had more bass warmth and with less upper mids came a bit less fatigue. Nowadays, I’m using either the PC38X or HD 8XX. The PC38X is efficient enough to use straight from the PS5 controller (but better with the Creative G5 or G6). The Hd 8xx is better though… it’s a more laid back HD 800, maybe a bit of an indulgence but I really enjoy it.

Thats a huge spending range.

If you don't feel the need to spend the money you can get great sounding headphones for a lot less that are great in games. I bought a pair of 990 Pro's on sale a few months ago and my HD800S grew cobwebs on them after. (Literally, I picked then up and there were spiderwebs in them). They're super fun if you like a more v-shaped sound (I do in games especially). Easy to drive. Great soundstage and I was really impressed with their imaging. Super accurate. MLE has a review of them on the first page. Treble is a real thing on these cans but for "competitive" FPS soundwhoring that can actually come in handy. But unlike the HD800S you don't need any EQ if you want some more "fun" elevated bass either.

I really like them, I feel like they're a fantastic performer for their price range (especially on sale).
Hmm, haven’t heard those new Beyer’s yet.
I’m at the stage where too much bass can be just as fatiguing to me as too much treble. Like the Campfire cascade… not for me, ymmv. I do have a pair of Fostex TH-X00, and the bass from the IE 900 is pretty quality, but I keep coming back to the PC38X and HD 8xx because I like their balance and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back