Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 7, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #47,507 of 48,578
try WaveNX and Redscape.
Waves is no longer selling licenses for Waves NX, so unless someone will give you their license, you'd be SOL.

I CAN recommend Redscape, just check with the author to get his current 20% off code.

With Dolby Access, try to NOT use the presets, as they include EQ. Try using the Custom options, and disable whatever is undesired, or make your own EQ.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #47,508 of 48,578
This is me rocking Dolby Atmos for Headphones (Game Mode) with the HE-4XX and the K702. Never felt the need to upgrade from Dolby Atmos for Headphones for all battlefield games.
he4xx.jpg

k702.jpg

Take this with a pinch of salt because the enemy team might have been new to the game after it moved to STEAM recently, while I have been playing everyday since 2016. So I am not saying this score is exclusively because i am using dolby atmos and the said headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #47,509 of 48,578
I picked up a pair of Koss KSC75 clip-ons just for the heck of it lol (but mostly because I wanted a headphone I can slip on while sleeping and not be bothered by it). But then I got to thinking I might give em' a whirl for gaming as well because that sensation of not having headphones on your head might be nice and I've heard pretty good things about the sound quality.

Going to be interesting to see if I can do a HPEQ measurement for them on the Realiser A16 (should be possible since they aren't IEM's and can comfortably sit on top of the measurement microphones while they are in your ear.

Still rocking the KSC75 with the Realiser A16 since this previous post back in July lol. I feel ashamed that I have headphones like the HD800 & Utopia just collecting dust but the comfort is just so damn good compared to your traditional headphones.

And the autoEQ that the Realiser A16 does with the KSC75 makes them sound fantastic for anything really, even music sounds great.

Dec 8, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #47,511 of 48,578
Waves is no longer selling licenses for Waves NX, so unless someone will give you their license, you'd be SOL.

I CAN recommend Redscape, just check with the author to get his current 20% off code.

With Dolby Access, try to NOT use the presets, as they include EQ. Try using the Custom options, and disable whatever is undesired, or make your own EQ.

Agreed. Redscape has been by far the best VSS software out of all of them. I used to use SBX, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X and I can't go back to them ever since switching to Redscape.

Dec 8, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #47,512 of 48,578
Agreed. Redscape has been by far the best VSS software out of all of them. I used to use SBX, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X and I can't go back to them ever since switching to Redscape.
For me, having 96KHz support on the VSS is important, as I do have rips of DVD-A tracks that are 24/96 5.1. Waves and Redscape supports this, and the Windows Spatial plugins do not. I also prefer Redscape's Room Acoustic model.

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #47,514 of 48,578
I own a GC7, and am I the only one who has the main request to output SXFI through optic out.

I use this DAC for surround sound as a pass through, sound coming from consoles or media hubs, optic in > GC7 > optic out > Bluetooth transmitter, and this configuration only works for SBX or acoustic sound not SXFI.

Ofc, already bought a premium 3.5 mm analog cable, to have SXFI enabled, and send it to the Bluetooth transmitter, but I notice the sound is not the same, we are approaching the modern age, I rather run away from analog sound as much as I can.

Also don't know if anyone has noticed it, sometimes when SXFI is on, on games with only background sounds, like winds or very subtle sounds, like birds or similar, the DAC just mutes itself, no sound output at all, that doesn't happen when acoustic sound is on.

I know Creative going to release a new firmware addressing the lack of rear surround sound, besides that I really like this DAC, I came from a G6, and like it better.

Dec 13, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #47,515 of 48,578
For anyone that cares the Sound Blaster Play! 4 had the volume issue fixed on PS5 with a firmware update. Unfortunately it introduces an echo on the mic when you raise the volume and the mic is literally unusable on the two highest volume settings on the device volume level. If you don't care about the mic or don't mind using the controller mic input it's a cheap way to get good wired sound right from the PS5. Keep in mind it won't drive power hungry headphones.

Dec 13, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #47,516 of 48,578
I own a GC7, and am I the only one who has the main request to output SXFI through optic out.

I use this DAC for surround sound as a pass through, sound coming from consoles or media hubs, optic in > GC7 > optic out > Bluetooth transmitter, and this configuration only works for SBX or acoustic sound not SXFI.

Ofc, already bought a premium 3.5 mm analog cable, to have SXFI enabled, and send it to the Bluetooth transmitter, but I notice the sound is not the same, we are approaching the modern age, I rather run away from analog sound as much as I can.
Many of us have been complaining about this for a looong time. Not just on the GC7 either, their entire product suite for SXFi seems designed to never output SXFi via any line out signal whatsoever. The farthest I got was their official subreddit moderator telling me that engineering told him this was a design decision. Personally I moved on to Redscape as I find the rear cues comparable, the overall audio quality to be excellent, and it is just software so I can output it to anything I want.

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #47,517 of 48,578
I use a premium 3.5mm audio male to male to connect GC7 to my bluetooth transmitter, probably have minimal to none audio quality lost, I don't know if we are allowed to say brand names, but I got a kabledirekt cable, ofc there are far better cables, but this one is a good one.

I don't connect GC7 to a PC, only for consoles and media players through optic in, but I really like this DAC it delivers an unbelievable surround experience, the best I had, SXFI is one of a kind DSP processor.

But nothing beats digital quality, sound is louder and more clear.

Already seen the website from Redscape, as always companies think people use Windows as their main OS, when comparing to Linux, Windows just falls down to its mediocrity, and its joke security.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #47,518 of 48,578
I use a premium 3.5mm audio male to male to connect GC7 to my bluetooth transmitter, probably have minimal to none audio quality lost, I don't know if we are allowed to say brand names, but I got a kabledirekt cable, ofc there are far better cables, but this one is a good one.

I don't connect GC7 to a PC, only for consoles and media players through optic in, but I really like this DAC it delivers an unbelievable surround experience, the best I had, SXFI is one of a kind DSP processor.

But nothing beats digital quality, sound is louder and more clear.

Already seen the website from Redscape, as always companies think people use Windows as their main OS, when comparing to Linux, Windows just falls down to its mediocrity, and its joke security.
If you chose to avoid judging people on what OS they prefer, I won't comment on your choice of overpriced snake-oil cables. :) Not a good way to start off on this forum.

Dec 14, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #47,519 of 48,578
Chastity,

Alright no judge on everyone's choice of OS, everybody is free to do whatever it wants to.

You said about snake-oil cables, I give you reason, but I simply don't like anything that is analog, choosing between a standard 3.5mm cable which comes with a cheap Chinese gadget and this cable which has some supposedly quality, I rather trust this one , but what can be done? Creative until now hasn't open their agenda, to answer our requests, horrible choice of not delivering SXFI effects to digital.

I own two G6, is a good DAC, and from begging to end, everything was digital, much better solution than inserting an analog source in between like GC7 does now.

Speaking of G6, it has some issues when decoding Dolby Digital, some randoms distortions, which sound like a pop sound, which can happen one day, and the other day no problem, is weird, I guess is some algorithm issue, introduced into their SB Axx1 chip, that was one of the reasons I bought the GC7.

Dec 14, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #47,520 of 48,578
Chastity,

Alright no judge on everyone's choice of OS, everybody is free to do whatever it wants to.

You said about snake-oil cables, I give you reason, but I simply don't like anything that is analog, choosing between a standard 3.5mm cable which comes with a cheap Chinese gadget and this cable which has some supposedly quality, I rather trust this one , but what can be done? Creative until now hasn't open their agenda, to answer our requests, horrible choice of not delivering SXFI effects to digital.

I own two G6, is a good DAC, and from begging to end, everything was digital, much better solution than inserting an analog source in between like GC7 does now.

Speaking of G6, it has some issues when decoding Dolby Digital, some randoms distortions, which sound like a pop sound, which can happen one day, and the other day no problem, is weird, I guess is some algorithm issue, introduced into their SB Axx1 chip, that was one of the reasons I bought the GC7.
SXFi over digital out is something they intentionally chose to block, and that is fine. In return, I decided to not buy any of their hardware. :) I gather from your posts you use the G6 with consoles, which makes sense. Using one simply for PC has become obsolete, and thus why mine is retired. Software VSS has come a long way, and can be superior to the SBX implementation, tho I suppose a Linux gamer could benefit from hardware VSS. (I don't know what software options exist for Linux)

If you want to use SXFi, it's not a major issue using the analog out, tho having it work via Line-Out would have been best. Use the headphone port, and adjust the volume out so that your amp isn't causing any clipping of the audio, or creating distortion from double-amping. Use a low gain setting, as if you were using an IEM. If your headset is under 100 ohm, and has good sensitivity, just drive them from the SXFi hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back