Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 2, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #47,221 of 48,562
Jin do you have a semi-decent rig? It may be that Redscape is hitting your CPU, and your CPU can't take it? I dunno. I run with an 8700K, no issue.

Sep 3, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #47,226 of 48,562
Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #47,227 of 48,562
I was bored and searched for the thread that got me started on my headphone obsession. It was a HD598 sale thread. I still have these headphones, and am still a fan of the 598. Was almost 1 year after this that I found this thread, and the rest is history….

Post in thread 'Sennheiser HD598 $95.00 - Amazon'
https://hardforum.com/threads/sennheiser-hd598-95-00-amazon.1883280/post-1041997743
I unfortunately never had the real time to do a proper review of the 598. I think my time was too brief to give them a real chance. I know Senn has never really disappointed me, and I like the PC360 which was based on the 595, so it should stand to reason I would've liked the 598 just as much.

The 598 review I have is one of those I wanted to take down, mainly because it's based on too short of a time with them (2 days). But back then I wanted to write up as many impressions as possible as a sort of database on what I like and don't like. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #47,228 of 48,562
Have and Xbox Series X connected via hdmi 2.1 to LG CX. I then set the tv to optical out for the sound, passthrough and sync bypass. I have my optical cable connected to a Dac/Amp and then to my HD800s and HD58x. Should I set the Xbox to do stereo uncompressed or bitstream? Also, are the settings I am using on the TV correct?

I ask this as for some reason audio seems to be all over the place and I cannot get an accurate sound to pinpoint footsteps or any other markers while gaming online. Any support would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #47,229 of 48,562
I would send Bitstream to the X7. To make it simple, have the Xbox send Dolby Digital bitstream to the TV, and the TV must ALSO be outputting bitstream. Since you have an LG Oled (so do I), make sure to ONLY have the audio output set to Optical out. Do not do Optical + speaker or anything, because it will truncate the sound down to 2channel for some reason. I didn't realize this for a LONG time. Make sure the X7 is given a fresh 5.1 Dolby Digital bitstream feed only. No DTS, no anything else. If the TV is doing its job right, it should be converting everything to DD 5.1 anyways.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #47,230 of 48,562
I would send Bitstream to the X7. To make it simple, have the Xbox send Dolby Digital bitstream to the TV, and the TV must ALSO be outputting bitstream. Since you have an LG Oled (so do I), make sure to ONLY have the audio output set to Optical out. Do not do Optical + speaker or anything, because it will truncate the sound down to 2channel for some reason. I didn't realize this for a LONG time. Make sure the X7 is given a fresh 5.1 Dolby Digital bitstream feed only. No DTS, no anything else. If the TV is doing its job right, it should be converting everything to DD 5.1 anyways.
Appreciate the insight, that's how I have it setup to my X7 but I am curious on how you'd set it up when using say an Maxtrix Mini I pro 3 or an Topping DX7 Pro? I am talking about non virtual surround at this point, connecting with a more premium dac/amp.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #47,231 of 48,562
Oh you're using non-surround dac/amps? I just assumed you were using your X7 on the sig. Don't wanna sound like a butt, but that's the problem right there. You're not gonna get anywhere near any pinpoint accuracy with stereo, regardless of what the audio elitist lead you to believe. There's no replacement for actual surround cues.

Now...if you want Dolby Atmos with the Xbox, then you can use your non-surround gear and get accurate cues.

In any case, for setting up non-surround gear, you use LPCM to your stereo DAC. Don't use Bitstream or you'll get garbled noise.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #47,232 of 48,562
Oh you're using non-surround dac/amps? I just assumed you were using your X7 on the sig. Don't wanna sound like a butt, but that's the problem right there. You're not gonna get anywhere near any pinpoint accuracy with stereo, regardless of what the audio elitist lead you to believe. There's no replacement for actual surround cues.

Now...if you want Dolby Atmos with the Xbox, then you can use your non-surround gear and get accurate cues.

In any case, for setting up non-surround gear, you use LPCM to your stereo DAC. Don't use Bitstream or you'll get garbled noise.
Thats what I figured, I am going to set the Xbox to stereo uncompressed and the LG CX to PCM and passthrough, correct? I am just doing it mostly because of switching amps in and out on the desk, not much room LOL. HD800s sound much better from those dac/amps then the X7 unfortunately.

Sep 3, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #47,233 of 48,562
You know that the X7 can send it's surround to your other dac if it has an optical input, right? That way you get the benefit of the better dac/amp without giving up the SBX surround which will give you actual positional cues. I mean I'm sure you know, just wanna reiterate that.

But yes, uncompressed LPCM all through the chain for stereo.

Sep 4, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #47,234 of 48,562

what about redscape on a PC to s stereo dac/amp? Or do I need to buy an amp like a g7?

Sep 4, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #47,235 of 48,562
what about redscape on a PC to s stereo dac/amp? Or do I need to buy an amp like a g7?
Redscape is doing the virtual surround processing already, I.e. taking 7.1 channels and converting it to 2 channels for your headphones, so you definitely only want to output it to a stereo dac\amp. You don’t want to add any processing on top of it.

Hardware like the G7 is only if you don’t already have a virtual surround solution you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back