Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 13, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #47,251 of 48,562
You can install it for free as a demo, and it's fully functional. I didn't find it overly amazing, and dislike the subscription model. Why bother when you can get Waves NX or Redscape and pay only once. Also, it's annoying they broke it up into several apps for specific brands, and you cannot import headphone profiles into a master app. For example, I have a DT-1990, and the Beyer profile worked really nice, but I have other headphones too. Also, many of my headphones did not have native profiles. The ones they have are for gamer headphones.
you are right, i just give it a go. And very mediocre indeed...

so far my best combo, its gonna sounds strange but....waves nx output to creative sbx(with sbx virtual surround on) and digital out to external dac&amp.

i know it’s been applied hrtf twice, but the result is a very large sound stage with very deep frontal depth.

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #47,252 of 48,562

so far my best combo, its gonna sounds strange but....waves nx output to creative sbx(with sbx virtual surround on) and digital out to external dac&amp.

i know it’s been applied hrtf twice, but the result is a very large sound stage with very deep frontal depth.
Did you calibrate your Waves NX? Seems like you did not.

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #47,254 of 48,562

I also thought immerse was awful sounding.

Is your double-virtualization at all accurate, though? Like stuff behind you is behind you etc.? I don't see how the virtualization can hold up with different convolutions on top of one another.

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #47,255 of 48,562
I also thought immerse was awful sounding.

Is your double-virtualization at all accurate, though? Like stuff behind you is behind you etc.? I don't see how the virtualization can hold up with different convolutions on top of one another.
oddly they do....position was solid. waves nx doing the heavy lifting to pinpoint position. sbx simply add reverb into the signal. waves nx outputs stereo signal to sbx

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #47,256 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy:

I have a question about the Tritton AX 720 decoder box that you reviewed: When you were testing the unit, which headphones did you use with it ? could you get them to a loud enough level ?

I have connected my AX720 to PC with a USB cable and cant get my KSC35s to a loud enough level...

Many Thanks
Sorry it was very long ago, and I'm definitely not confident in telling you what I used back then with them. You might want to make sure the PC windows volume is set accordingly. You may have it accidentally set too low. I usually set all my DACs to 90/100.

The KSC35 does have a relatively higher than standard impedance, and can require a bit more than one would think. In my case, it requires more than the LCD-X in terms of raw volume level.

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #47,258 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy:

For some reason the volume was low through USB on PC....I used optical in with my PS2 console and the volume is adequate.
Yeah just make sure the PC windows icon volume is set high. There shouldn't be a dramatic difference in volume there unless your USB ports are very low output voltage.

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #47,259 of 48,562
Hey Guys some updates on the GC7: The Creative rep gave me some responses to some of my questions. His replies are in bold.

1. The Surround function on the GC7 is not properly handling 7.1/5.1 channel into headphone surround. The rear positional cues don't sound like they're mixing down from a rear channel source. The G6's SBX surround implementation sounds much better in comparison, with proper surround cues.

We identified a bug in the channel mapping and we will be rolling a fix for this in addition to other device optimization. The consolidated update is planned for release latest within these 2 months. We’ll keep you updated when it’s released. Great that you caught it! Most folks couldn’t tell the difference 😊

2. The most recent GC7 update seems to have messed up SXFI. It sounds like there's additional echo/reverb/processing being done, and it all sounds incredibly wonky. Almost like two things are being processed at once. Was the Surround function setting mixed up with SXFI, and now both are being done at once? That's kind of what it sounds like.

The latest SXFI profiling includes optimizing the ambient size which eliminates excessive echo which was a heavily requested improvement. In order to enjoy the latest profile, it is best to check if the latest head and ear map capture was done in 2020 and later. Otherwise a fresh capture may be required. Let us know if this helps?

3. The community is still waiting on an update to allow SXFI headphone DSP to be sent through the analog/optical out for other dac and amps to take care of. This was done for Creative's surround implementations, and we'd like the same thing for SXFI. Atm moment, it's not possible, and we'd really like a patch for this.

We aim to incorporate SXFI processed audio for GC7 via line-out. Once we have a specific date, we’ll let you know. Pathing via Optical is not in the plans at the moment though.

It's a shame they're not planning on routing SXFI through the optical out. I should ask if it's possible even though not planned.

Sep 17, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #47,261 of 48,562
Speaking of preamping (I don't know if that's the correct term?)...

Is it possible to pair the Sennheiser GSX 1000 with the iFi Zen DAC V2?
No. The Zen DAC is a source first, amp second. The GSX1000 is also a source first, amp second. Neither have analog input and therefore can't be used as amp only.

You could use some dubious analog to digital converter, but that is just a mess and you may as well just get other gear.

Sep 18, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #47,264 of 48,562
Bonkers how Creative still needs to be convinced to allow pathing SXFi through optical, after so many hardware generations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back