Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 27, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #47,191 of 48,568
I'm only on a Vali 2+ with an EH6922 gold, but I absolutely LOVE the way it sounds. I don't use it as a pre-amp though. I use it as a contrast to my Jotunheim 2 and as my work laptop amp (with the Hel 2 as the DAC). But really if I could go back, I think I would've went with a Lyr 3 instead of a Jot 2 due to the desire for tubes now.

In the future, I'd like a Lyr 3 maybe with new add in DAC.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #47,192 of 48,568
Ah ok, so you're basically doing now what I'm planning to do: Tube pre amp into a solid state

How do you feel the tubes help in terms of gaming sound?
Depends on the tube. The Sylvania ones are clear, and offer up lots of even-order harmonics, so the audio sounds sweet and robust, with a touch of treble sparkle. I also remember that the tube preamp addressed an issue with the DT-1990's soundstage. Many people note that the DT-1990 offer some natural spaciousness on the left and right, but is kinda upfront with frontal depth, aka a wall of sound. (Joshua Velour does a nice description of this in his review)

With the tube preamp, the front space gained depth, and I can place objects in that space. So it was a nice gain for gaming, movies, and music, especially orchestral music.

The GE JAN 5654W tubes have some of the clarity of the Sylvanias, but offer a touch of bass enhancement. The Voskhod 6J1P-EV tubes are more your classic warm, syrupy tubes, with some treble roll-off. Nice for robust treble cans, like the DT-1990.

Aug 27, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #47,193 of 48,568
I'm only on a Vali 2+ with an EH6922 gold, but I absolutely LOVE the way it sounds. I don't use it as a pre-amp though. I use it as a contrast to my Jotunheim 2 and as my work laptop amp (with the Hel 2 as the DAC). But really if I could go back, I think I would've went with a Lyr 3 instead of a Jot 2 due to the desire for tubes now.

In the future, I'd like a Lyr 3 maybe with new add in DAC.

Only downside of the Lyr is that it's single ended only :frowning2:

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #47,194 of 48,568
Only downside of the Lyr is that it's single ended only :frowning2:
That's kinda why I want one as the SE to my Jot 2's Balance output. One powerful amp for both applications.

I also want a K701 which isn't balanced and wouldn't be easy to do. But man K701s doubled in price. It seems.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #47,195 of 48,568
Has anyone used a tube pre-amp in their audio setup? I was thinking of introducing some tubes to see how it affects sound signature in games
I had a 6SN7 tube amp and when I was using X7, I used to pipe the output to that. If you like tubes, you might like that, especially with Creative cards and if your headphones are trending towards cold-analytical.

Unfortunately I sold my tube headphone amp, due to having to scale down the setup. One day I'll buy another tube amp, I loved it!

Aug 29, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #47,196 of 48,568
Redscape Version 1.4.0

General
  • Head Tracker firmware has been updated. Tracking is more efficient and stable.
  • Lowered CPU usage of Head Tracker window.
  • LFE channel is now low-passed at 300 Hz.
EQ
  • The equalizer now has a gain slider on the right side of the graph.
Settings Menu
  • Added Surround Channels -3 dB in Downmix option. When enabled and the 3D effect is turned off, surround channel's contribution to the downmix will be lowered 3 dB.
  • Added Always Show In Taskbar option. This will keep Redscape visible in the taskbar even when minimized.
  • Added Toggle EQ When Power Is Toggled option. This will toggle the EQ on/off when the 3D effect is turned on/off.
  • Output Format now defaults to Shared mode when using WASAPI.
  • Added a warning on Audio I/O tab that will display if Redscape is not the default audio device.
  • Added a warning on Audio I/O tab that will display if Redscape is attempting to output to the current default audio device (selected in the Windows control panel.)
  • Power On/Off volumes match more closely.
  • Rebalanced channel levels and added channel level sliders on the Speakers tab.
Fixes
  • Only list WASAPI render devices. Prior to this change, capture devices would also be listed.
  • WASAPI fix for some audio devices that use 24 bit data wrapped in 32 bits.
  • Fixed a bug that could incorrectly cause the following message to display: "Buffer underrun. Try increasing the Buffer size in the Settings menu.
  • Fixed a bug that would mute channels if speaker levels were modified in the Settings menu

Aug 29, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #47,197 of 48,568
Redscape Version 1.4.0

General
  • Head Tracker firmware has been updated. Tracking is more efficient and stable.
  • Lowered CPU usage of Head Tracker window.
  • LFE channel is now low-passed at 300 Hz.
EQ
  • The equalizer now has a gain slider on the right side of the graph.
Settings Menu
  • Added Surround Channels -3 dB in Downmix option. When enabled and the 3D effect is turned off, surround channel's contribution to the downmix will be lowered 3 dB.
  • Added Always Show In Taskbar option. This will keep Redscape visible in the taskbar even when minimized.
  • Added Toggle EQ When Power Is Toggled option. This will toggle the EQ on/off when the 3D effect is turned on/off.
  • Output Format now defaults to Shared mode when using WASAPI.
  • Added a warning on Audio I/O tab that will display if Redscape is not the default audio device.
  • Added a warning on Audio I/O tab that will display if Redscape is attempting to output to the current default audio device (selected in the Windows control panel.)
  • Power On/Off volumes match more closely.
  • Rebalanced channel levels and added channel level sliders on the Speakers tab.
Fixes
  • Only list WASAPI render devices. Prior to this change, capture devices would also be listed.
  • WASAPI fix for some audio devices that use 24 bit data wrapped in 32 bits.
  • Fixed a bug that could incorrectly cause the following message to display: "Buffer underrun. Try increasing the Buffer size in the Settings menu.
  • Fixed a bug that would mute channels if speaker levels were modified in the Settings menu

Ryan at Redscape is awesome. I made him aware of two bugs recently, and he already had an update ready to go to fix them :)

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #47,198 of 48,568
Thanks MLE for your GC7 review.
I think you're the only one to point out broken SBX on this device.

I recorded some samples to pinpoint what's going wrong.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-uPvHa8vNgJdEMlaZMP6rbbBTU0NerZH?usp=sharing
(As usual, disable all sound processing to ear this files)

Normal = No effect, no surround, just stereo output.
Surround = No effect, SBX surround set to 33%.
Proper = VSS software
5.1/7.1 = Settings used on the device in Windows

5.1-normal : It's OK, stereo output.
5.1-surround-33 : Surround and rear-surround are identical, albeit not rear placed (SB-z is doing the same).
7.1-normal : Rear-surround voice has echo.
7.1-surround-33 : Rear-surround is just stereo, not surround. The end part (all voices together) have echo.
7.1-proper : Perfect, as it should be on GC7 (I used a virtual surround software ).

I don't know what to do, keep the GC7 and hoping a firmware update or send it back.
Do you know if it's possible to downgrade firmware ?

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #47,199 of 48,568
The latest update did seem to break some things, but I know Creative eventually fixes the issues we let them know about.

I think Surround at 5.1 was working for me though. I'll have to recheck. It was only 7.1 that was broken.

I don't use 33% though, I use 100. Makes it easier to discern the rear cues.

Just give them time. It'll improve. X7 and G6 were a mess on release, and updates fixes basically everything.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #47,201 of 48,568
Just wanted to drop a note on these new headphones I grabbed. I decided to grab the upgrade to my M1070, the Monolith M1570, and it just destroys the M1070 in quality. These are easily entry-grade summit-fi headphones. Just did some gaming, and I navigated a building maze to locate an enemy position by audio alone, using the sound of their combat. And it was just so easy. These drivers throw forward a lot of resolution, and none of the FR steps on each other, instead it smoothly blends into each other. Cues image well in the sound stage, and they're open cans, and wider in stage than say the LCD-X. They take wide room settings very well, like Spatial setting in DTS:X or dialing up Redscape to the max. (Movies are awesome too)

Bass extension runs deep, is tight, and has impact and slam. And the bass doesn't bleed into the mids. Mids are forward and well placed, and the treble is amazing. Cymbals have impact, and crash. These are not laid back and chill cans, nor are they dark. And like Audeze planars, they've got some weight, but the headband does a good job of distributing the weight.

And the best part: they're affordable. In fact, they're on sale at at Monoprice's Ebay Storefront and walmart.com for $400.99, and have a 5-yr warranty.

Just note they do not share Audeze's mini-xlr pinouts, so make sure you get the correct cable if you need a balanced connection. Monoprice doesn't make a cable for some unknown reason. Periapt and Hart Audio make cables for these.

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #47,203 of 48,568
Hi,

I'm looking for advice for improving audio in Warzone. I am trying to improve verticality cues as well as keeping positioning accurate.

I own HD800s/bifrost multib (older gen)/valhalla 2 as well as Astro A50s.

I own atmos as well as Redscape. Redscape has great positional cues, but it's lack of verticality is frustrating. Is there an all-in one solution or should I just stick with Atmos?

Is there any reason to use the A50s anymore or a way to improve them? I have only tried Atmos.

What audio setting should I use in game? Is there a recommended EQ software and settings?

Thanks!

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #47,204 of 48,568
Hi,

I'm looking for advice for improving audio in Warzone. I am trying to improve verticality cues as well as keeping positioning accurate.

I own HD800s/bifrost multib (older gen)/valhalla 2 as well as Astro A50s.

I own atmos as well as Redscape. Redscape has great positional cues, but it's lack of verticality is frustrating. Is there an all-in one solution or should I just stick with Atmos?

Is there any reason to use the A50s anymore or a way to improve them? I have only tried Atmos.

What audio setting should I use in game? Is there a recommended EQ software and settings?

Thanks!
There is no verticality in WZ audio. It's spatial audio is hot garbage. I've tried atmos and dts:X and neither are good with vertical audio. Basically you're better off sticking with whatever gets you the best 7.1 and forgetting about anything else until they fix whatever they are doing under the hood.

DTS:X might be the best compromise if you still want to try and get some verticality as it's rear cues are way better than atmos to my ears. Atmos rear cues have no depth, they sound like they are at the back of my neck. But if you have Redscape already I wouldn't bother as it's rear cues are just as good if not better.

Astros will do nothing, no reason to use those over the HD800.

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #47,205 of 48,568
There is no verticality in WZ audio. It's spatial audio is hot garbage. I've tried atmos and dts:X and neither are good with vertical audio. Basically you're better off sticking with whatever gets you the best 7.1 and forgetting about anything else until they fix whatever they are doing under the hood.

DTS:X might be the best compromise if you still want to try and get some verticality as it's rear cues are way better than atmos to my ears. Atmos rear cues have no depth, they sound like they are at the back of my neck. But if you have Redscape already I wouldn't bother as it's rear cues are just as good if not better.

Astros will do nothing, no reason to use those over the HD800.
Thanks for your reply. When you use Redscape, are you on the game or music setting? Are you using boost/boost high/boost low in the game?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back