Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 25, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #47,178 of 48,578
Ok, it could be only me, but did the latest firmware for the GC7 make the SXFi 7.1 config worse?
I swear I hear more echo now.
Not just you. They borked it. I was playing Mass Effect 2 LE on PC last night, and I'm like....wth is wrong with SXFI? It just sounds all wrong now. Like it's double processed, like perhaps they added the surround fix to the SXFI setting so we're getting both SXFI and Creative's fixed surround, all at once. Since the surround toggle is still messed up and was supposed to be fixed....who knows?

Creatiiiive.

I have a new connection to them, so I'm gonna have to tell him to pass this on to engineers.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #47,179 of 48,578
Not just you. They borked it. I was playing Mass Effect 2 LE on PC last night, and I'm like....wth is wrong with SXFI? It just sounds all wrong now. Like it's double processed, like perhaps they added the surround fix to the SXFI setting so we're getting both SXFI and Creative's fixed surround, all at once. Since the surround toggle is still messed up and was supposed to be fixed....who knows?

Creatiiiive.

I have a new connection to them, so I'm gonna have to tell him to pass this on to engineers.
Well, as usual my Creative product is a paperweight for at least 6 months out of their warranty life.

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #47,180 of 48,578
Interestingly, I have been through the same process sort of. Loved the PC38X with Titanium HD as dac and amp, though the 800S did give a more "open world" feeling in game. Where the 800S really showed its capacity has been in improvements of both DAC and Amp combo's. For a general system, giving up the 800's and running with the PC38X IMO is totally awesome and will do the job just fine.

You're right.....I compared the 800S to the 38x last night......NO COMPARISON. HD800S smoked them easily.

Aug 25, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #47,181 of 48,578
Well, as usual my Creative product is a paperweight for at least 6 months out of their warranty life.
I have faith Creative will fix it. They have always managed to pull through with the X7 and G6, which were really faulty at launch, and throughout updates have been made into what they are today. The GC7 should hopefully be pushed to a similar level.

I let my new contact know as well. Here's what I wrote to them:

"Just wanted to touch up on some things with the GC7, that perhaps you could let the engineering team know?

1. The Surround function on the GC7 is not properly handling 7.1/5.1 channel into headphone surround. The rear positional cues don't sound like they're mixing down from a rear channel source. The G6's SBX surround implementation sounds much better in comparison, with proper surround cues.
  2. The most recent GC7 update seems to have messed up SXFI. It sounds like there's additional echo/reverb/processing being done, and it all sounds incredibly wonky. Almost like two things are being processed at once. Was the Surround function setting mixed up with SXFI, and now both are being done at once? That's kind of what it sounds like.
  3. The community is still waiting on an update to allow SXFI headphone DSP to be sent through the analog/optical out for other dac and amps to take care of. This was done for Creative's surround implementations, and we'd like the same thing for SXFI. Atm moment, it's not possible, and we'd really like a patch for this.
Thanks. My community at head-fi really loves Creative's stuff (particularly the G6 and X7), but we know they can be better., and the GC7 can be pushed to new heights with these fixes."

Aug 25, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #47,182 of 48,578
I have faith Creative will fix it. They have always managed to pull through with the X7 and G6, which were really faulty at launch, and throughout updates have been made into what they are today. The GC7 should hopefully be pushed to a similar level.

"Just wanted to touch up on some things with the GC7, that perhaps you could let the engineering team know?

1. The Surround function on the GC7 is not properly handling 7.1/5.1 channel into headphone surround. The rear positional cues don't sound like they're mixing down from a rear channel source. The G6's SBX surround implementation sounds much better in comparison, with proper surround cues.
  2. The most recent GC7 update seems to have messed up SXFI. It sounds like there's additional echo/reverb/processing being done, and it all sounds incredibly wonky. Almost like two things are being processed at once. Was the Surround function setting mixed up with SXFI, and now both are being done at once? That's kind of what it sounds like.
  3. The community is still waiting on an update to allow SXFI headphone DSP to be sent through the analog/optical out for other dac and amps to take care of. This was done for Creative's surround implementations, and we'd like the same thing for SXFI. Atm moment, it's not possible, and we'd really like a patch for this.
Thanks. My community at head-fi really loves Creative's stuff (particularly the G6 and X7), but we know they can be better., and the GC7 can be pushed to new heights with these fixes."
Thanks MLE. I hope Creative listens! Particularly to point 3......

Aug 25, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #47,183 of 48,578
Ah you're gonna use in ear mics? Will that mess with the impulse response? I was just using the method that records whatever is playing.
That is the best method. Unfortunately I have a USB headset coming (will give to kid after this probably, instead of going through the hassle of returning). So I'm tied to recording with ear mics.

Aug 26, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #47,184 of 48,578

I think we need more people to highlight the issues with the new update.

Back when I was using the X3, Creative Customer Service repeatedly told me there's no issues with SXFi until I got frustrated and went straight to their engineers. I had to bring my SXFi amp and X3 there to prove it to them lol.

Aug 27, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #47,185 of 48,578
So HieroX mentioned that SXFI through 5.1 is fine. Only 7.1 is broken. He's 100% correct. I should've checked that. I really don't see the reason to not use 7.1 under normal circumstances, but for now if you're up to date on the GC7, set speakers to 5.1 on PC.

I'll have to test the optical input to see if it's the same result.

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #47,189 of 48,578
You may have mentioned it before. If so, my apologies :) Which tube pre amp do you use?

I'm planning to pair it with a high end solid state amp to get more of a "hybrid" sound.
My setup:

SMSL M300 MKII -> FX Audio Tube-01 with Sylvania JAN-CHS 6AK5 tubes -> Schiit Asgard 3 -> Monolith M1070

I also have GE JAN 5654W and Voskhod 6J1P-EV tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back