Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 9, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #47,146 of 48,583
Tried DTS:X for the first time. It actually has really good rear cues to my ears, better than Atmos for Headphones. There is more of a "stage" so the audio is positioned more accurately in space behind you rather than Atmos' tendency to stick stuff at the back of my neck.

Unfortunately I only tried Warzone so verticality is really difficult to judge, because this game's object based audio is pretty bad. But if I did not already own Atmos I'd be tempted to get DTS:X instead. It also lets you select your headphones, from a fairly impressive selection which to me should almost be standard these days for serious virtualization.

People here were discussing another software based PC download for virtual audio, but I can't find the discussion. Not redscape or Waves, something else? I'm itching to try more stuff...
DTS is nice, i use it for Atmos movies and series (inside Dolby digital plus files). I don't like Atmos for headphones so much because the virtual speakers sounds like are glued for about 5 cm away of my head.

Is it immerse from Embody? Chastity was reviewing about it few pages earlier. If so, i've used the 14 day trial and is ok for me, nothing that gave me the "WOW" feeling.

Aug 9, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #47,147 of 48,583
Tried DTS:X for the first time. It actually has really good rear cues to my ears, better than Atmos for Headphones. There is more of a "stage" so the audio is positioned more accurately in space behind you rather than Atmos' tendency to stick stuff at the back of my neck.

Unfortunately I only tried Warzone so verticality is really difficult to judge, because this game's object based audio is pretty bad. But if I did not already own Atmos I'd be tempted to get DTS:X instead. It also lets you select your headphones, from a fairly impressive selection which to me should almost be standard these days for serious virtualization.

People here were discussing another software based PC download for virtual audio, but I can't find the discussion. Not redscape or Waves, something else? I'm itching to try more stuff...
Keep an eye on the Microsoft Store for DTS:X, often enough the app goes on sale for $11. I like having both apps, since movies are either Dolby or DTS encoded, and I like to use the matching app. If the game supports either, also good.

For 7.1 games, I use Redscape ($40, tho he often has a 20% code for $32. I emailed him and he set up a code just for asking :) ) or for more budget minded, Waves NX ($10, and they often have 40% off codes for $6) Waves NX is best when you do your head measurements and it's calibrated.

I didn't care much for Immerse, and didn't like the recurring sub fee, when there are perfectly good options that aren't sub based.

Aug 9, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #47,148 of 48,583
Thanks guys, yes Immerse was the one I was wondering about trying out.

I am hesitant about Redscape just because their "demo" is just via a web player which doesn't really sound like much, I want to actually demo the app.

Aug 12, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #47,149 of 48,583
Tried Immerse. It is either broken or absolutely god-awful sounding on an HD800S. (Tried lots of different headphones).

Definitely heard good rear cues, but my god it sounded distorted and awful. Like a bad 8-bit soundtrack through free airplane headphones. Uninstalled after two rounds of Warzone.

Tried to download the Waves NX app (tried it out like 3 or 4 years ago, want to try it again) but the "try free" button isn't working, for some reason. I hope they're still doing free demos!

Aug 12, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #47,150 of 48,583
Tried Immerse. It is either broken or absolutely god-awful sounding on an HD800S. (Tried lots of different headphones).

Definitely heard good rear cues, but my god it sounded distorted and awful. Like a bad 8-bit soundtrack through free airplane headphones. Uninstalled after two rounds of Warzone.

Tried to download the Waves NX app (tried it out like 3 or 4 years ago, want to try it again) but the "try free" button isn't working, for some reason. I hope they're still doing free demos!
Can you imagine if the free version of Waves is an audio ad played over your game soundtrack every 10 minutes?

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #47,152 of 48,583

Tbh, that sounds like you were past the clipping point on the software? I haven't tried it, but IF it's like Redscape AND Waves, you have to stay well below software volume clipping point or it'll distort. There's that, and setting your buffer/latency accordingly. On some systems, if it's too low, it'll also distort/clip.

Just making a guess, if it works like the others.

Aug 14, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #47,153 of 48,583
----------
----------

Creative Sound Blaster GC7
gc7top.jpg
Price as of August 2021: $169.99
Where to Buy: Creative, Amazon
My Latest Driver/Firmware Check: August 23rd, 2021 (This month's update has managed to break SXFI, so I wouldn't update to this version)

Disclaimer: A special thanks to Creative for sending the Creative GC7 out to me for the impressions/review. As always, whether products are sent to me or not, I do my best in being 100% honest with my views and opinions. If I don't like a product, I will refuse to write a review of it, or at the very least mention what I don't like about them, though I like to focus on products that people would like or at the very least are interested in. The only bias I have is to my readers. No one, Creative or otherwise, paid or asked me for anything. They only asked for my honest impressions. That's it.

I want to apologize to my readers and Creative for the inexplicably long delay in getting this review out. I have my reasons. Betyween IRL work, IRL personal issues, among other things, this review was more or less pushed out by the graces of the audiophile gods. So again, forgive me, and thanks for the patience. I'm not all too happy with the way it turned out, but if I kept re-doing sections, I'd never finish. So I decided to post as is. If there is a lack of consistency, blame me. This one was unfortunate in its review timing. I hope it's at least legible enough to be considered a review/impression.

Intro

There seems to be two sides to DAC/AMP design. On one end, you have products like the Schiit Fulla or Hel. Simple, but effective builds and design that are incredibly easy to use and understand. You plug them in, and the few options are all on the unit. Your volume control knob, and your source/gain/power switches. That's it. Really, what else do you need? Sure, you'll lack nuanced options like EQ, bass boost, presets, etc, but for those that don't care for a variety of options, this is all you'll ever need.

Then there's the other end. Creative once again goes the extra mile to throw every option under the sun for their dac/amp offerings. Personally, I will admit to preferring the easier, simpler designs, even if they lack options. Having stated that, I do feel like I need at least one densely featured product for my surround and software necessities. This is where Creative comes in. I find the Creative G6 to be an indispensable necessity, where I'd want to turn a Dolby Digital signal to virtual surround (SBX headphone surround in terms of the G6), and pipe that digitally (or analog) through the optical/analog out, to another DAC or amp. For this, Creative will always have a spot in my setup.

Creative is never shy about packing in features that they believe at least one person will want to utilize. Born of products like the X7, and G6, in comes the GC7. A Game Streaming-centric DAC/AMP with even more features than its predecessors. How does the GC7 fare against it's older siblings? In a way, it may not matter much, since the GC7 caters more towards streamers, with its programmable buttons, and focus towards centralizing audio to one device.

What's In the Box?

(Note: Unfortunately, I have a mess of cables, and I'm in a middle of a few moves, and can't verify the lengths of the cables that came with the unit.)

Creative GC7 Unit
Optical cable
USB-C to USB-A cable
TRRS 3.5mm mic/headset cable

Build

The moment you take a glance at the GC7, your first reaction is probably gonna be along the lines of the GC7 looking like a mini digital turntable.

gc7top1.jpg

It's a very interesting design, but it works. I like to think of it as ideal to place right below your main monitor on your desktop setup. The great thing is that it's a physically simplistic design (despite the underlying controls being quite varied and vast), so there's not much of a steep learning curve in terms of the unit controls itself. It's an intuitive layout, which is good. The GC7 is lightweight but feels appropriately dense, and the plastics used feel robust and capable of taking punishment.

Front Face:

GC7 FRONT.jpg

The main face area of the GC7 houses most of the physical functions.

Volume Dial - Self explanatory. Adjust total volume output of the current source. There's a nice amber LED on the dial's indicator. I would've liked to have seen a similar amber led as the ring at the base of the dial instead of the simply orange colored ring. I also don't understand why it's concave in the center. I feel this area of the dial is just going to act like a bowl for dust and grime to collect in.

EFX Control Panel - In the middle of the GC7 are a sort of 'wheel' of buttons. You have:

• Surround: Pressing this button highlights the surround function, which highlight's the Acoustic Engine's surround function as well as the digital screen showing what percentage level you have the surround function at (0-99). Using the center knob will adjust this on the fly. Unlike the other buttons (Bass, SXFI, Treble, and Mic), pressing in the center knob will switch between your current surround setting, and turning off Surround entirely.

• Bass: Pressing this button, you can adjust bass boost feature between the default 0 to either -9 bass reduction, or +9 bass boost. Pressing in the center knob will reset to 0.

• SXFI: Pressing this button, you toggle between SXFI Battle (blue), SXFI (green), and no SXFI (orange). Be aware that the SXFI function only works if a headphone is connected to the GC7. If on analog or optical out, the SXFI button will flash red, letting you know it's disabled. Also, as SXFI is a form of surround, you can't use both the Acoustic Engine surround and SXFI at the same time. The Acoustic Engine's surround will be enabled (if you have it on) with the no SXFI (orange) mode.

• Treble: Like the Bass button, the Treble function can adjust between -9 to +9 reduction or boost to the treble range. Again, pressing the center knob in will reset the value back to 0.

• Mic: Pressing this button, you can then adjust the mic output volume. On my end, pressing in the center knob will reset the mic output to 69% from a 0-100 range.

Each of the buttons light up in an amber color when pressed to indicate which is currently selected, and adjustable by the center knob (aside from the 3 colors of the SXFI button indicating which mode it's on). On the right side of the of the main area on the unit is the game/voice volume dial.

GameVoice Mix - With this dial, you can adjust volume balance of game Audio and voice chat. Personal experience as someone who rarely uses voice chat, there's merely a subtle difference between having the dial at 12 o' clock, or fully leaned towards the game side. Also has a nice amber indicator to indicate position. Identical to the volume dial, it's concave in the center, which serves no purpose other than collecting dirt and grime.

C1-C4 Programmable Buttons - There are 4 C buttons that allow for various shortcuts or functions to be mapped to each one. I'll go through what each shortcut/function is on the software section. Each button has an RGB ring that can be customized in the software. By Default, each C button does have a default function, though I changed them to do completely other functions. Here's what they are, out of the box...
  • C1: Cycle Between FPS Mode > Battle Royale Mode > MOBA Mode
  • C2: Mic Monitoring On/Off
  • C3: Scout Mode On/Off
  • C4: Output Switch between Headphones > Speakers/Line Out > Dual Output (Both)

Mic Mute button - Self explanatory. Mute's your mic output. The button's outer ring will glow red when mute is activated.

Front I/O Interface (left to right):

gc7frontio.jpg

PC/Mobile/Mobile LED indicators -
Depending on what your current source is (selected by the rear I/O interface) currently being used, one of the leds will glow white.

Dolby Digital indicator - Will glow if the GC7 is currently being fed a Dolby Digital signal through the optical input.

3.5mm Mic input - Here you'll insert your microphone cable.

3.5mm headphone/headset input - Here you'll plug in your headphones and even headsets with 4-pole TRRS plugs. A benefit of the headset input is that you do not need a headset audio/mic splitter with the GC7.

Rear I/O Interface:

gc7 rear.jpg

3.5mm Line Out - You can send an analog signal to another amplifier, or set of powered speakers. Unfortunately, SXFI will not be transmitted through the analog out. Creative, please rectify this in the future, whether by updates, or in your next SXFI product.

3.5mm (Mobile) Line In - Analog input for mobile devices, or other non-digital sources.

Gain Switch - Switch between Low and High gain for the headphone out. Does not affect the line out or optical out.

Optical Out - You can use the GC7 as a 'pre-dac', allowing many of its sound-altering functions to pass on to another DAC.

Optical Input - I feel this is always a desirable input to have, as you can simply send every source to a Television, and from the TV's optical out, send a Dolby Digital signal to the GC7. Well, either a TV or an AVR. This eliminates the need to connect multiple devices to the GC7 one by one.

My only gripe with these types of inputs/outputs is that we need to step away from the optical inputs that have the flap. These flaps are prone to break under heavy use, speaking from personal experiences with busted optical ports throughout the years. Creative, please change to flapless or 3.5mm optical inputs. You already utilize combo 3.5mm analog AND optical input/outputs on the G6, so it's nothing new for you.

USB C input - Used for power and data. Creative has moved on to Type C, and we're all the better for it.

Mobile/Console/PC Switch - With this, you select what kind of source will be used for the GC7. While this is fine, I'm quite disappointed that toggling this switch will reset the other selections. So for example, if you set it to PC, and rename the device on the PC settings to something other than the default 'Speakers' (I like to name it 'Creative GC7 USB'), change the bit rate and frequency to say.... 24bit/96khz, etc. Once you toggle to Mobile or Console, and go back to PC, all those changes will be reset. For someone like me who likes to swap between using the GC7 on PC and the PS5, this is quite annoying. I've given up and now leave to one of the million devices on my PC defaulted to 'Speakers'. Oh well.

On/Off Switch - I'm happy this exists on the GC7, as on the G6, there's no way to turn it off other than unplugging the cable. This sounds like such a minor thing, but it's the little things that count.

Bottom Of Unit:
gc7bottom.jpg

The GC7 at the base is tilted (where the rear is raised, and the front is shorter), allowing easier, more comfortable access to the Unit's face. Other than the two long rubber 'feet', there's nothing else other than a sticker with S/N, barcode and Made In China label.

Final Build Impressions:

Creative has never let me down with any of it's dac/amp units, and the GC7 is no exception. Barring the missteps with the reset that occurs with physical source toggle, the return of flap of doom optical ports, and the weird concave/bowl shape of the dials, the GC7 is solidly built, with an intuitive layout, and a suite of customizability that ensures a lot of versatility from the GC7. Overall, the minor complaints I have on the build are just that, minor, and are far outweighed by the things the GC7's design does right.

I feel this is a great evolution to Creative's dac/amps, as it looks and feels like it belongs as an integral part of anyone's desktop setup.

Software

In terms of personal use, I could use the PC software, as well as the Android app on my phone. As they both have the same exact functions, I'll be focusing on one, the PC software, as it's easier to discuss and bring up images for, and is largely the one I use 99% of the time. The Android app is wonderful and all it needs to do is find the GC7 wirelessly. Once connected, all functions work as expected. I hadn't even realized the GC7 had an incredibly useful android app until I started writing the review. That's what I get for being one of those guys that never reads instructions and learns things on his own. I recommend everyone look into the mobile Creative app for the GC7, in case you don't have a PC to adjust the settings. This was an issue with the G6 (you needed a PC to change the non-physical settings). Fantastic improvement by Creative. Way to improve functionality.

Ok, so while these images are of the PC Creative software, you can expect a similar looking setting on mobile.

gc7soft1.jpg

Starting from the left column is a few options:

Device:

Here's where the bulk of the GC7 specific settings are.

Sound Mode - Here's where you can find sound presets, like Gaming, Music, Movies, etc. Each preset will have specific settings tweaks that will effect the Surround setting, Crystalizer, Bass, Smart Volume, Dialog+, and even the Equalizer. You can see this by actually clicking on the Sound Mode section. If you attempt to adjust one of the pre-made presets, it will change to 'Onboard'. This way you can't affect the already created presets. You can also create your own presets. Note that the Acoustic Engine (the general term that encompasses all the GC7's settings) will not be enabled IF you enable any of the SXFI modes.

Super X-Fi - Clicking on this will prompt a box to appear asking you to allow the Creative app to open up ANOTHER app, the SXFI app. Save yourselves the future headache, and download the SXFI app on mobile, register, log in, and get pictures of your ears. Once you have done all that, you can then just log in on the PC software, and let the GC7 save your headmap. Otherwise, instead of clicking on the SXFI area, hover over the area that actually says Super X-fi, and it will bring up a smaller box where you can select between Super X-Fi, Super X-Fi Battle, and Neither/Off. Again, before using SXFI, I recommend you get your own headmapping first for the optimal SXFI experience.

CrystalVoice - Below the Super X-Fi section is CrystalVoice. Clicking on this opens another section where you can adjust Noise Reduction for outgoing audio (your own mic) between Low and High. Then there's a Smart Volume toggle, which auto adjusts your mic output, so no need to shout or whisper. After that is a toggle for Voice Morph, which as you may have surmised alters your voice to a variety of different presets, from things like Emo, to Demon, to things like Chipmunk. Useful if you don't want anyone to know what you really sound like. Finally, you have a Microphone Equalizer which adds a bunch of presets that can reduce bass, reduce harshness, improve clarity, etc.

Mixer - Below CrystalVoice is Mixer. Clicking on this opens up a section with two areas, Volume and Device. Volume allows you to adjust the Playback volume of the Speakers/Headset. Adjusting this will break the connection the volume has with the physical unit, so for instance having the volume dial maxed on the Unit itself, and lowering this setting, will lower the volume. Adjusting the physical unit volume afterwards will link the volumes back up, though it's a bit screwy, and I recommend fully lowering the volume on the Unit, and raising it back to desired volume. Personally, I wouldn't adjust volume here. Leave that to the volume dial on the unit itself. You can also adjust Monitoring volume for the SPDIF Interface, Microphone, and Line. Then there's Recording volume control, which adjusts volume of Mic Line, Mic, SPDIF Interface, and Digital Audio Interface. To be honest with y'all, I didn't test for these, so I recommend reading instructions and checking the GC7 webpage for more info. Next to the Volume sub-section is the Device section under Mixer, which allows you to select between what the Optical Out does. You can choose Stereo Mix (which will be affected by the GC7's settings outside of SXFI), and SPDIF Passthrough, which...will not. This is useful if you want to pass an untouched signal to something like a Home Theater AVR.

Acoustic Engine - This will open up the main effects area, which like Sound Mode, will show toggles and sliders for Surround, Crystalizer, Bass, Smart Volume, and Dialog+. I'll be completely honest with you all when I say I don't ever use options like this, and keep them all disabled. The only one I used was Surround, until I noticed it wasn't as good as SXFI, or the old SBX surround on the G6. I normally don't like to alter the sound of my sources, hence why I tend to never use these types of settings. Note that you can choose to use any of these for headphones, speakers, or both.
  • Surround - will expand the stereo image into a sort of virtual surround, like the G6's SBX surround did, though I think it's a far inferior version (with no real rear positional cues), and I recommend you use SXFI over this setting. Almost as if this setting isn't taking 7.1 into account, only stereo. Creative, please fix this. SBX was a much better Surround implementation.

• Crystalizer - This setting is a Creative-specific clarity enhancer. I consider it to be a sort of in house EQ.

• Bass - A bass boost toggle. Essentially another form of EQ slider, but affects just bass.

• Smart Volume - A sort of auto volume leveler, so as to not have abrupt changes in volume.

• Dialog+ - Yet another Creative-specific sound enhancer that focuses on enhancing the vocal range.

Scout Mode - After the Acoustic Engine is Scout Mode which has its own sub-section, and is there to improve/enhance the competitive gaming experience. Again, this is yet ANOTHER Creative-specific sound tweak like a catered EQ just for hardcore gaming. You can assign a hot key to enable/disable this on the fly, for when you're trying to focus on subtle sounds for brief moments instead of all the time. Personally, I like a flat, even balance to my source sounds, so I can hear everything as intended, but that's just me.

Custom Buttons - This section is where you can adjust what the C1, C2, C3, C4 buttons do on the GC7, as well as what kind of color they glow. It can do everything from changing device functions like your Sound Mode (as explained earlier, are sound presets), Scout Mode toggling, Mic Monitoring toggling, Output Switch (Headphone, Speakers, Both), and None (disables the button). Also does systemn functions like Media Control (Play/Pause, Next Track, Previous Track), Navigation (on press it will launch an application, file, or URL), Text and Emoji (on press, input text or emoji), and Keystroke (on press triggers a keystroke). Not quite sure how Keystroke works.

Button Color - Here you can adjust the color of the C button's RGB ring. Here you get a full spectrum color wheel, the brightness of the light output, as well as full 0-255 values for R, G, B, as well as a HEX value editor. You can also save the color choices you have made per button. What did I personally do? Set them all to an amber color to match every single other amber indicator on the unit. I like consistency, and I don't care much for visual RGB rainbow vomit.

Equalizer - Here you'll find the Equalizer. Clicking on it will take you to the actual EQ. It's a 5 band EQ, with sliders for Preamp, Bass, and Treble. There is also a copius amount of presets, from the default Flat, to music oriented presets, and even down to specific game EQ presets.

Decoder - This is the dynamic range control for Dolby Digital media. You can choose from Normal, Full, or Night.

I won't waste your time talking about self explanatory sections like Playback settings, Recording settings, and the actual Settings sections. These are things you guys can figure out for yourselves, as they're nothing new to software applications, and you should be able to navigate with ease.

Final Software Impressions:

I'll be straight in telling you that like most software programs, I don't use the vast majority of options available. That being said, the GC7 has a cornucopia of options that allow you to tailor the GC7 to personal preference. Chances are, if you want something out of the software, it's in there. You're absolutely spoiled for choice.

On the first day I used the GC7, I was actually a bit annoyed by how much there is to to unpack and sift through, but to be completely honest, it's not so overwhelming that you can't learn what to and what not to use. After my initial grievances, the GC7 was intuitive and simple enough to use, especially for someone like me who uses so few options in general, and leave most options off.

Most of the options are there to enhance the usability of the GC7, not be bogged down by it. The great thing is that the most important aspects of the GC7 can be adjusted on the unit itself, so outside of a few options you absolutely should set in the software (like setting the playback to 7.1 if you're going to use SXFI with the USB DAC portion of the GC7), you can mostly ignore the software if you want. Still, Creative throws everything but the kitchen sink (as previously mentioned), and it's all more or less useful if you're into any of the specific options. Not so much for me, but I understand the need and necessity to be prepared for absolutely everything.

I'll say it one more time, download the mobile app for easy software adjustment when not using a PC.

If you've ever come from other Creative devices, you can expect a lot of similarities to their old software suites. The good thing is that Creative has ironed the kinks out over the years and made the experience of navigating their software a lot less overwhelming and problematic. It's not my favorite piece of software, but after having used the X7, G6, Air headset, and now the GC7's software, this is a song and dance I've more or less mastered by now.

Ease Of Use

I wrote this section earlier, then the PC restarted and I lost my progress. Instead of rewriting it all, I'll hit some points, so you all get the gist of how I feel.

The GC7 has two sides to its usability. The things that are easy to learn and understand, and the initial bloat and overwhelming feeling of being buried under a mountain of options. Ultimately, even the things that are hard at first, become easier with time, until it's practically second nature.

Software

• There's a lot of options and it might be a bit off-putting at first, but it's all usable, you don't have to use anything you don't need, and once you've set things the way you like, you don't have to come back to the software for most options (as they most important ones are on the unit itself).

• It's annoying that you have to open up yet another program with the initial set up of Super X-Fi. Once you have that set up though, you don't really have to do it ever again, unless you wanna remap your head/ears.

Mobile App

• Similar to the PC software, if a bit easier to navigate by touch.

• The only gripe I have with the mobile app is the initial connection between your phone and the GC7. It takes a bit longer than I'd like but it's only an issue upon connecting, and not after.

Physical Unit

• The GC7 itself is easy to use and relatively intuitive, albeit with a few caveats

• The rear Low/Gain switch should have really been placed on the front side, as well as the Mobile/PC/Console switch. Kind of weird to have them placed on the rear where you can't see.

• I feel that all the center EFX section buttons should have all been lit up at all times, and switch to a different color to highlight which function was currently being adjusted. Just for the sake of constant visibility.

• While I may not have much use for the C1, C2, C3, C4 buttons personally, I do really think they'll be quite useful for those that want shortcuts to the software's other features like game presets, among other useful possibilities.

Connectivity

(To not drag this review as long as I already have, I'm gonna cut this section a little short.)

1. PC

gc7 pc usb.jpg

This is pretty self explanatory. Through the USB type C interface, you connect to any PC. The PC will pick the GC7 up as both Speakers and Headset. You'll want to set the default output device as the Speakers option on the Windows sound panel. Also as your input device for the recording/microphone. You can set up to 24-bit/192khz. I personally set it to 24/96, as that is the highest option you can set if using 7.1 surround.

2. Playstation 4 and 5

USB:

Connecting the GC7 to the PS5 through USB is fairly painless. The PS5 will pick it up as an audio device without issues. I would disable SXFI or the built in surround on the GC7 as the PS5 only outputs 2 channel/stereo through USB, and either way, the PS5 has Tmpest 3D Audio, making it somewhat redundant to try using the implementations by Creative. The PS4 will also pick up the GC7, but without Tempest 3D Audio, you'll have to resort to using Creative's surround mode and SXFI for a 2 channel source, which I don't recommend. I'd connect to the PS4 through the optical/spdif, as mentioned right below.

Optical/Toslink:

If whatever display or AVR you use that is connected to the PS4/PS5 can output Dolby Digital through their optical out, you can use this instead. Here, Sony doesn't have the Tempest 3D audio option (at least not at the time of this review), so you can use either the Surround option on the GC7, or even better, the two superior SXFI modes. Make sure your display/AVR are outputting Bitstream and Dolby Digital (5.1). You'll know it is by the DD symbol on the front of the GC7 having its led lit up.

3. Nintendo Switch

I don't have a Switch to test at the moment, but I know it's officially supported via the dock's USB mode.

4. Xbox consoles

Link the PS4 and 5, you'll want to use the optical/toslink method to connect to these, as they do not have official support otherwise. That means you'll likely need to connect from a TV or AVR's optical out, and set them to Bitstream/Dolby Digital.

Amplification

The GC7 has less volume gain than the G6, though not as low output as something like the Sennheiser GSX 1000. I feel the output is moderate, but you'll want to use easy to drive headphones and headsets. If you need to power hard to drive headphones, you'll want to utilize the analog out to another amp, or even another dac/amp through the optical out. The downside here is that you can't use SXFI through anything but the GC7's headphone jack. I'll say this multiple times, but I hope Creative rectifies this with a future update, or at worst, in their next SXFI product. Please Creative, do the former. If the X7 and G6 were give updates to send SBX headphone surround through their analog/digital outputs, the GC7 SHOULD send SXFI through the same outputs.

GC7GX.jpg

One other thing I need to mention is that the GC7 has a 10-ohm output impedance, which unlike the G6's 1-ohm output, is a bit high, and can slightly affect the tonal balance of lower impedance headphones (particularly dynamic headphones). Nothing significantly worth nothing (plenty of 10ohm headphone amps exist), but if you find your headphones to sound a bit different or off with the GC7 than what you're used to from other amps, this may be why.

Surround Modes

In terms of virtual surround, while the G6 has SBX surround, and the GC7 has whatever they're calling their in built surround, as well as two versions of SXFI. I wrote some notes a while back which I'll just parrot here:

GC7's Surround function:

This is what I feel is actually the most disappointing aspect of the GC7. Well, aside from the lack of SXFI passthrough, which I'll rant about later. For a built in surround, I've used a few different ones that were once used for Creative products. CMSS-3D, THX TruStudio, SBX, SXFI, and...whatever the Surround function is here.

This is simply their worst iteration of internal surround, and I'm wondering if it's actually messed up. Creative is usually really good with their virtual surround implementations, but this version... this doesn't even give proper rear positional cues. If it can't do that, I don't want it. The other disappointing aspect is that it's the only surround on the device that can be transferred through the analog and digital outputs. Thankfully, it shares its space on the GC7 with two much, much better modes.

SXFI:

SXFI is what I consider to be the best virtual surround process that I have personally experienced. It's not perfect, as there are bound to be people that tell you it's just too processed sounding. Personally, you're going to have that trade off for all the best surround implementations, as they are transformative in nature. By that, I mean you're not meant to think of it as listening at a surround experience with your headphones. If anything it should be taken as using your headphones to be transported to another place. One that is an amazing virtual surround experience. Ditch the notion that you're listening to headphones. Think of it as you're now listening to this virtual space, where sounds come from all around you. With amazing positional accuracy. So stop comparing the regular headphone experience with the SXFI experience. They sound completely different. The closest comparable analog would be you sitting in a big room with an amazing surround speaker setup, not headphones. As an example, if someone is behind you, you can clearly tell he's behind you.

SXFI Battle:

SXFI Battle is the newest form of SXFI virtual surround that is aimed towards detail oriented gaming. It's a sort of a mix of what makes SXFI good, with the kind of clarity enhancement you'd hear from something like Creative's own Scout Mode. It's much more precise, and pinpoint sharp in comparison to regular SXFI, though I feel its tonal balance is artificial sounding. I find it strictly useful for focusing and highlighting sounds, and not so much for the enjoyment of sound itself. I personally prefer SXFI over SXFI Battle, but if all you care about is a competitive edge while still utilizing surround, SXFI Battle is amazing.

Comparisons

At $169.99, the GC7 is placed just $10 cheaper than the G6. I think all who have known me throughout the last few years, know the G6 is my automatic #1 recommendation as my favorite fully equipped gaming dac/amp if you can't jump up to the Creative X7. The G6 has nearly everything I could want, including the ability to send its virtual surround to my more expensive dac and amplifiers. It is a brilliant piece of gear, only made better and better throughout the years of updates and fixes. This means, there needs to be a compelling reason why I'd recommend the GC7 over the G6 for those looking at which to choose.

The GC7 makes it case as being the equipment that looks better on the desk as a main unit compared to the G6's portable friendly, but not desktop-centric build. The G6 looks best as something you lug around for a laptop, rather than a piece of equipment you setup and never move.

The GC7's layout also lends itself better to a desktop setup where you merely reach in front of you and adjust on the fly. With the G6, every adjustment you make on the unit, will likely cause it to slip and slide around, again proving that it's best as something you lug around and not keep stationary. The GC7 just *feels* better to touch and utilize. I do like that both are easily powered through one usb, with the GC7 using Type C, while the G6 being stuck in the past with its Micro USB connectivity. The GC7 wins here.

Moving on to functions, it's a no brainer; the GC7 handily surpasses the G6 in immediate usability and options. The G6 is no slouch, as the software is nearly as dense in features as the GC7, yet the GC7 allows more of its functions on the unit itself, outside of the software, not forgetting the addition of 4 customizable buttons to boot.

Power-wise, the G6 just has more power on tap, period. That being said, since I feel the best aspect of these devices are their ability to push their functions to other gear, I don't deem amplification strength to be of the utmost importance. If you don't plan on getting other gear, then yes, the G6 has a bit more headroom, but it's not so drastic that the GC7 is left behind. If you compare something like the GSX1000 to the G6, you'll notice a distinct lack of headroom on the GSX1000 in comparison. With the GC7, I don't feel it's that far behind, though it's definitely a win for the G6, no question about it. Also, the fact the G6 has a 1-ohm output impedance vs ther 10-ohm output impedance on the GC7, I'd choose the G6 over the GC7 for most headphones if no extra amplifier is being used.

Sound-wise, I do think the G6 sounds a bit cleaner, though ultimately, these things are subtle, and shouldn't sway you one way or another. They're both what I consider good enough for their purpose and price. Again, attaching better gear mitigates whatever deficiencies they may have, so I don't think either necessarily lose, though if you're adamant about finding which sounds cleaner/better as a standalone dac/amp, I'd give the edge to the G6. As for virtual surround between them, G6's SBX surround is the easiest surround to sway hardcore headphone users into trying without them feeling like they're blaspheming. It's the least processed-sounding, and has good positional accuracy without going overboard.

The GC7 has its unusable Surround mode that just expands stereo soundstage without any real positional benefits. The GC7 also has SXFI and SXFI Battle which I think are two of the best surround implementations in terms of positional accuracy, though at the expense of sounding very transformative to the headphone experience. This may sound good to people like me, but bad to people that want their headphones to sound like headphones. As such, I think between the G6 and the GC7, it largely depends on the person. The safer bet is the G6, though I personally think that SXFI is unrivalled and should be experienced by more and more people.

One major benefit the G6 has over the GC7 is the ability to send SBX surround to other gear digitally (through toslink/optical out) or through its line out. The GC7, at the moment, can't, unless you wanna count that messed up Surround mode. No SXFI. So the win (for now) in terms of virtual surround usability is on the G6. With the GC7, you'll have to attach a cable from the headphone jack, to an amplifier to gain SXFI for other amplifiers. It feels dirty to say nowadays. If Creative fixes this with an update, I'll happily give the victory to the GC7. Creative, I will NOT let you forget this. Without this functionality, I'm QUITE disappointed. You can ALSO attempt to fix the EFX surround option. Do that to where its at the very least as good as SBX, and you'll tip the scales towards the GC7.

So which do I recommend more overall? It's honestly a toss up. I feel both have their place, but honestly, the G6 is more versatile (more portable friendly), cleaner sounding, and more powerful. The GC7 is more fully fleshed out as an all-in-one, and feels great to use. Its best functions are directly on the unit, whereas the G6 you may have more of a reason to keep going back to the software. Again, IF Creative updates the GC7 with a better surround option, or adds full on SXFI availability like its other software options, then I'll absolutely give the victory to the GC7.

Honestly, I'd be happy with either, and having one or the other wouldn't feel like I'm missing anything (again, outside the SXFI limitations).

One final thing to note on which to use, the GC7 (at the time of writing) is ideally used as the main dac/amp/all-in-one unit. So if you have no other gear at all, the GC7 is pretty sufficient as a starter complete solution. The G6 does this just as well, but I feel is better utilized when you have other higher end gear to piggyback of the G6. Something about a small portable unit that I don't like as a main piece of audio gear. The GC7 looks and feels the part. The G6 doesn't.

Personal Recommendations

As the GC7's form factor lends itself best as a desktop unit, I'd probably leave it as just that. Something right in front of your keyboard as an audio interface. The controls are fantastic, the programmable buttons allow you to set your own functions, and the large volume dials make fine volume adjustments a breeze.

If you wanted something more portable, the G6 would be the better alternative. Really, which I'd choose between them would be based entirely on what my purpose for them are. For home, on my desktop, definitely the GC7. On the go, G6.

The GC7 can be used as a simple dac/amp, or as a full on, bells and whistles device with bass boosting, voice morphing, clarity boosting, and other sound enhancing options. It works well as both, so for the adamant audiophile, or gamer that needs options, the GC7 will serve you well.

Likes and Dislikes

• Physical Interface
  • Customizable face buttons
  • SXFI and SXFI Battle are stellar surround modes
  • PS5 support
  • Versatility

Dislikes:
  • Can't passthrough SXFI through line out/digital out. Creative, I will not be satisfied until this becomes standard.
  • Built in "Surround" setting is not really surround to my ears. Needs patch to sound more like older SBX. Give us SBX Surround back, Creative.
  • Initially overwhelming software options

Final Impressions

The GC7 is in a bit of a spot being so dangerously close to the G6 in both price and features. The G6 has been around a long time, and has been improved by updates and product maturity. The GC7 really needed to be compelling as something to choose over the G6. Did it do it?

I'll start with the shortcomings. The wonky surround feature doesn't quite work right, and then there is the GC7's inability to pass SXFI to other dac/amps (though if you're someone who has no desire to use virtual surround with your headphones, this is absolutely a non-issue). The software is a bit loaded, where it may scare some people, but I plead to those people, stick with it, as the GC7 will reward your patience.

On the plus side, the form factor feels right at home on a desktop setup, the inclusion of SXFI is always, always welcome, and the abundant amount of options ensure that there are things within the software that practically everyone will want or enjoy. Creative has thrown all its might into a relatively small package that fits any home setup.

Ultimately, the GC7's viability will depend on Creative updating it to surpass the G6. It can only get better, and I have faith Creative will nurture its possibilities even further in the future. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #47,155 of 48,583
I have to agree with MLE about the lack of VSS via digital outputs. This locks you onto their hardware analog, which isn't the best ever. Tho I suppose a Realiser is still too cost prohibitive. :D The VSS apps available today make it moot for PC gamers to have to invest in hardware virtual surround.

Aug 15, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #47,156 of 48,583

I agree with you about DTS;X and rear cues. Definitely better than Atmos. However, I've been using Redscape lately, and I actually like it more than Atmos and DTS;X. I feel it does Surround processing better, and the fact it has a built in EQ menu is a plus. What I also like about it is that you can individually alter the dB level of each surround speaker in 7.1 mode, so that you can make rear cues, etc more distinct.

Aug 15, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #47,157 of 48,583
I agree with you about DTS;X and rear cues. Definitely better than Atmos. However, I've been using Redscape lately, and I actually like it more than Atmos and DTS;X. I feel it does Surround processing better, and the fact it has a built in EQ menu is a plus. What I also like about it is that you can individually alter the dB level of each surround speaker in 7.1 mode, so that you can make rear cues, etc more distinct.
Yeah I am playing around with Redscape and I like it for all the reasons you stated. The EQ and speaker selection is great. The LFE channel simulation is cool and sounds really nice on planars.

I'm not 100% sold on its rear and front cues yet but they are definitely there. I am still fiddling with all the settings like head size etc. This might be the one until I can finally use SXFI with better gear than the hardware Creative forces on us. (Please Creative! Please!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back