Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 16, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #47,161 of 48,578
Those of you using DTS: HEADPHONE X along with a creative sound blaster product like the X3 or GC7. Do you guys turn off The SBX surround sound when using DTS HEADPHONE X or Do you use it in conjunction with SBX?

Should I set the headphones to stereo when using DTS X or set it to 7.1 Virtual surround sound in the Sound blaster software ?
Im just looking for the correct configuration if anyone knows

Aug 16, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #47,162 of 48,578
Those of you using DTS: HEADPHONE X along with a creative sound blaster product like the X3 or GC7. Do you guys turn off The SBX surround sound when using DTS HEADPHONE X or Do you use it in conjunction with SBX?

Should I set the headphones to stereo when using DTS X or set it to 7.1 Virtual surround sound in the Sound blaster software ?
Im just looking for the correct configuration if anyone knows
Never use 2 VSS at the same time. In this case just use DTS Headphone X and the soundcard(or sound blaster software) must be in stereo mode.

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #47,163 of 48,578
Dislikes:
  • Can't passthrough SXFI through line out/digital out. Creative, I will not be satisfied until this becomes standard.
This + the lack of proper amplification for harder to drive headphones really kill this one for me. Thanks for trying Creative, see you in the next iteration, if you by then have finally fixed this oversight after 3 iterations.

Thanks for the great review!

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #47,164 of 48,578
This + the lack of proper amplification for harder to drive headphones really kill this one for me. Thanks for trying Creative, see you in the next iteration, if you by then have finally fixed this oversight after 3 iterations.

Thanks for the great review!
Apparently the next update will at least pass proper surround through the line/optical out. We'll see. It's not SXFI, but it's a great consolation, as long as they fixed the surround, which right now is not exactly working.

As for proper amplification for harder to drive headphones, I guess for people like me, that doesn't matter, as I'd unload amplification to my other gear. Just needs that update ASAP.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #47,165 of 48,578
I just tried the HeSuVi version of CMSS so I could hear it on the AK4490 DAC I put into the Lyr 3, apart from the DAC sounding way clearer and more seperated than the Titanium HD dac, I can't really tell the difference between the positional cues of the Hardware or software, bang on accurate to my ear. But boy the amp/dac combo i have now just throws a whole other level of separation, I'm picking up zombies early!!! 🧟‍♂️🧟‍♀️:wave:

Aug 23, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #47,166 of 48,578
Apparently the next update will at least pass proper surround through the line/optical out. We'll see. It's not SXFI, but it's a great consolation, as long as they fixed the surround, which right now is not exactly working.

As for proper amplification for harder to drive headphones, I guess for people like me, that doesn't matter, as I'd unload amplification to my other gear. Just needs that update ASAP.

Yeah, but herein lies the rub:

1) no SXFI through optical out or line out
2) Not enough juice to drive harder to drive headphones
= can't hook up an external amp and enjoy your harder to drive headphones WITH SXFI (only stereo OR SBX Studio in the future, after the upgrade)

I'm almost tempted to :
1) Buy a SXFI device
2) Take multiple photos of my ears
3) Record several 5.1 / 7.1 -> SXFI -> Stereo headphones impulse response files using the SXFI gear
4) Return the SXFI device for full refund
5) Install impulse response files in HeSuVi
6) Enjoy PERSONALIZED, ZERO latency, SXFI through to ANY DAC, ANY headphone Amp, ANY headphones I desire
7) Give Creative a big fat FU

In fact, I just bought the cheapest SXFI device and will do just that.

I mean really. How many iterations do they need? We've been bitching about the SXFI output even since the first device came out and they still don't want to do it.

It's as if they don't want our money.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #47,167 of 48,578
I mean really. How many iterations do they need?
I feel your pain over this, which is why I decided to get away from hardware-tied VSS, and moved onto software VSS solutions, like Redscape, Waves NX, and Dolby Access/DTS:X. I don't prefer to use HeSuVi as I like to support the development of VSS solutions.

Aug 23, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #47,168 of 48,578
Luckily we're at a point where hardware VSS is no longer necessary (outside of wanting us use VSS on Dolby Digital encoded TV apps, I mean how else will you get VSS from your TV?)

But yeah, it's still not completely replaceable.

And like Chastity, I rather support Creative and the like for their own tech. I won't use HeSuVi.

Aug 23, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #47,169 of 48,578
And like Chastity, I rather support Creative and the like for their own tech. I won't use HeSuVi.
Same re supporting Creative, but for now I'll be using HeSuVi's version of CMSS (As an owner of 3 Creative cards currently) so I can run a better Amp/Dac combo (I blame Chastity for forcing me to buy the Lyr 3 witha DAC card :dt880smile:) until Creative gets it's act together with a better solution. Sheesh, I've been using their cards since 1993 when I purchased their SB 16! LOL!

Aug 23, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #47,170 of 48,578
Yeah, but herein lies the rub:

1) no SXFI through optical out or line out
2) Not enough juice to drive harder to drive headphones
= can't hook up an external amp and enjoy your harder to drive headphones WITH SXFI (only stereo OR SBX Studio in the future, after the upgrade)

I'm almost tempted to :
1) Buy a SXFI device
2) Take multiple photos of my ears
3) Record several 5.1 / 7.1 -> SXFI -> Stereo headphones impulse response files using the SXFI gear
4) Return the SXFI device for full refund
5) Install impulse response files in HeSuVi
6) Enjoy PERSONALIZED, ZERO latency, SXFI through to ANY DAC, ANY headphone Amp, ANY headphones I desire
7) Give Creative a big fat FU

In fact, I just bought the cheapest SXFI device and will do just that.

I mean really. How many iterations do they need? We've been bitching about the SXFI output even since the first device came out and they still don't want to do it.

It's as if they don't want our money.
Have you been able to do this? I cannot get past the first step which is recording an accurate test 7.1 track. (https://sourceforge.net/p/hesuvi/wiki/How-To Record Impulse Responses Digitally/) Audacity spits out an error code when I select GC7 speakers loopback as the input, and when I can get a recording (selecting headset as the input/output) the LFE channel sounds super distorted. So I gave up. If you were able to do it I'd love to know, as I would like to get SXFI on my better gear. (I won't be returning any of my Creative products though, they can keep my money!)

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #47,171 of 48,578
Eh, I tested the GC7... Surround is still broken.

Definitely not SBX, and def not getting real rear audio cues.

Aug 24, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #47,172 of 48,578
Have you been able to do this? I cannot get past the first step which is recording an accurate test 7.1 track. (https://sourceforge.net/p/hesuvi/wiki/How-To Record Impulse Responses Digitally/) Audacity spits out an error code when I select GC7 speakers loopback as the input, and when I can get a recording (selecting headset as the input/output) the LFE channel sounds super distorted. So I gave up. If you were able to do it I'd love to know, as I would like to get SXFI on my better gear. (I won't be returning any of my Creative products though, they can keep my money!)

I will report back when I get my gear (SFXI Gamer headset + my ear mics).

Aug 24, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #47,174 of 48,578
I think I'm going to be selling my HD800S soon (to fund IEM purchase(s)), and it's kinda tedious to plug in my PC38x to my L30/E30 stack and use a wireless ModMic while using PS5 Tempest audio. I'll have to A/B how the 38x and 800S sound going through my setup before I decide what course I'm going to take.

Just kinda thinking out loud, thinking of getting SBX G6, Fulla, or Hel. I had the G6 and sent it back when I had PS4, not sure I want to spend that much on something that came out years ago. Hel looks good, but I'm not sure I'd need that much power for the 38x headphones. Fulla is a good price, but not sure if I should just get the Hel instead. On top of that, Schiit is looking at 1-2 months before shipping.

Aug 24, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #47,175 of 48,578
I think I'm going to be selling my HD800S soon (to fund IEM purchase(s)), and it's kinda tedious to plug in my PC38x to my L30/E30 stack and use a wireless ModMic while using PS5 Tempest audio. I'll have to A/B how the 38x and 800S sound going through my setup before I decide what course I'm going to take.
Interestingly, I have been through the same process sort of. Loved the PC38X with Titanium HD as dac and amp, though the 800S did give a more "open world" feeling in game. Where the 800S really showed its capacity has been in improvements of both DAC and Amp combo's. For a general system, giving up the 800's and running with the PC38X IMO is totally awesome and will do the job just fine.

You forgot to mention that it was at gunpoint. :beyersmile: Tho seriously, this pursuit of the Dragon that we all do is our own addiction.
Too true, but the word I use is "passion", sound, like sight is a wonderful thing to be pursued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back