Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 1, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #47,207 of 48,562
Hi,

I'm looking for advice for improving audio in Warzone. I am trying to improve verticality cues as well as keeping positioning accurate.

I own HD800s/bifrost multib (older gen)/valhalla 2 as well as Astro A50s.

I own atmos as well as Redscape. Redscape has great positional cues, but it's lack of verticality is frustrating. Is there an all-in one solution or should I just stick with Atmos?

Is there any reason to use the A50s anymore or a way to improve them? I have only tried Atmos.

What audio setting should I use in game? Is there a recommended EQ software and settings?

Thanks!
To get the vertical cues, your game needs to generate them, and needs to support 7.1.4 or 360 degree. Any game that supports DTS:X or Atmos streaming should have this capability, and use the matching Windows Spatial plug-in to create your HRTF.

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #47,208 of 48,562
To get the vertical cues, your game needs to generate them, and needs to support 7.1.4 or 360 degree. Any game that supports DTS:X or Atmos streaming should have this capability, and use the matching Windows Spatial plug-in to create your HRTF.
Not every game is equal in this regard though. That's the issue with WZ, they claim Atmos compatibility but it is not as good as other games that have it. One can test this by firing up an Overwatch game with bots and testing vertical cues (very apparent) with Atmos on, and then firing up a Warzone bot match (practice) and listening for the same verticality with Atmos enabled in Windows. Just not there.

Not sure if that has anything to do with Overwatch having Atmos in game settings, vs. Windows handling everything when it comes to Warzone, but from a consumer standpoint when you are selling "Atmos" as a brand for a certain level of audio, that shouldn't matter. Everything should "just work" but sadly in this niche that is rarely the case...

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #47,209 of 48,562
Not every game is equal in this regard though. That's the issue with WZ, they claim Atmos compatibility but it is not as good as other games that have it. One can test this by firing up an Overwatch game with bots and testing vertical cues (very apparent) with Atmos on, and then firing up a Warzone bot match (practice) and listening for the same verticality with Atmos enabled in Windows. Just not there.

Not sure if that has anything to do with Overwatch having Atmos in game settings, vs. Windows handling everything when it comes to Warzone, but from a consumer standpoint when you are selling "Atmos" as a brand for a certain level of audio, that shouldn't matter. Everything should "just work" but sadly in this niche that is rarely the case...
Warzone would need to have a specific Audio option of Dolby Atmos output, and generate the 11.1 audio channels, and output and encoded Atmos stream.. If Windows handles everything in Warzone, then it doesn't.

Sep 1, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #47,210 of 48,562
Warzone would need to have a specific Audio option of Dolby Atmos output, and generate the 11.1 audio channels, and output and encoded Atmos stream.. If Windows handles everything in Warzone, then it doesn't.
No. The game does not need to have the option. Bordlerlands 3 has atmos streams without an in game atmos option (in fact they removed it, since it was confusing, because Windows is meant to handle it, that's the design now.)

The game just needs to output the stream, and it will output what Windows tells it to. In any case it is moot since Activision specifically advertises that it is Atmos compatible, but it clearly does not work very well.

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #47,212 of 48,562
The game just lags and stutters with or withiout Redscape to me, lol. At least in the beginning and pre-game lobbies. Once you land in the main game match, the game plays perfectly.

Remember that Redscape has a latency/buffer setting, as well as exclusive/shared mode. Perhaps try a combination of these if it's doing anything weird.

I usually use Shared mode, because if I use exclusive, I tend to forget to turn it off, and it mutes my normal source outside of Redscape. With Shared, I feel the latency is just fine and I don't have to worry about turning it off.

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #47,214 of 48,562
Try turning the headtracker window off? The latest update mentioned it fixed some issue with it hogging CPU.
There's no option to turn off the Headtrack. And I'm not using a Headtracker, the status for the Headtracker says " disconnected" since i'm not using one.

But did you have this issue when playing Warzone or fps games?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #47,215 of 48,562
There's no option to turn off the Headtrack. And I'm not using a Headtracker, the status for the Headtracker says " disconnected" since i'm not using one.

I've never had an issue where any of my VSS apps introduced latency or lag/stutter to any game I've played. FYI.

Sep 2, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #47,217 of 48,562

I mean the window with the image of the head. Also the EQ window. I find having any of their windows open on my other monitor at the same time I am playing does weird things to my frames, I have no idea what it is.

Warzone has all sorts of random stuttering at seemingly random times, it has been an issue for me that comes and goes with their seasonal updates. Some seasons it is more or less fine, some seasons (this one) something they did borked something else and I get crazy stuttering and crashes. I did find not having those windows open minimized it for me. But it could just be a coincidence.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #47,218 of 48,562
I mean the window with the image of the head. Also the EQ window. I find having any of their windows open on my other monitor at the same time I am playing does weird things to my frames, I have no idea what it is.

Warzone has all sorts of random stuttering at seemingly random times, it has been an issue for me that comes and goes with their seasonal updates. Some seasons it is more or less fine, some seasons (this one) something they did borked something else and I get crazy lag. I did find not having those windows open minimized it for me.
The window with the image of the head has no Options. If I click on the wheel icon (in the window with the head image) it just bring me back to the Headtracking settings. Here is how it looks like
https://gyazo.com/dda80a2d20b28feb864384788e479dff

Um if I'm not using Redscape at all, my Warzone game is smooth as butter.

Sep 2, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #47,219 of 48,562
The window with the image of the head has no Options. If I click on the wheel icon (in the window with the head image) it just bring me back to the Headtracking settings. Here is how it looks like

Try forcing the CPU affinity for Redscape to not use Core 0/1. You may be hammering the first core while gaming.

Sep 2, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #47,220 of 48,562

I meant close it. Click the X. You don't need any Redscape windows open to use it, just set it as you want and close everything out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back