Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #45,707 of 48,579
Hi guy’s, I was told to post in this thread for recommendations on a good FPS headset for the Ps5. My budget is $650 or less and it doesn’t require to come with a mic. Thanks for your time.
Headsets come with mics, so we are assuming your looking into getting headphones for PS5 gaming.
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X, way under your budget.

Nov 27, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #45,708 of 48,579
Hi guy’s, I was told to post in this thread for recommendations on a good FPS headset for the Ps5. My budget is $650 or less and it doesn’t require to come with a mic. Thanks for your time.
I just ordered Sennheiser HD 660s + Creative G6 DAC. Got both on sale for about $510 before tax. Don't have the DAC yet, but I think the headphones are near the best you can get for positional clarity in games.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #45,709 of 48,579
I just ordered Sennheiser HD 660s + Creative G6 DAC. Got both on sale for about $510 before tax. Don't have the DAC yet, but I think the headphones are near the best you can get for positional clarity in games.
I actually heard about those, which site did you buy them on? The sennheiser site is still saying it’s on back order. Since I need the DAC with them, do you think I can still play my Ps5 from my couch?

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #45,711 of 48,579
I actually heard about those, which site did you buy them on? The sennheiser site is still saying it’s on back order. Since I need the DAC with them, do you think I can still play my Ps5 from my couch?

Some sites here in Europe offer BF deals on the HD660S, probably some deals will show up today in the US today as well.
But if you really want a deal get the Drop HD58X Jubilee, currently at $150 and shipping December 2. They're basically the same headphones as the HD660S (just like the 650 and 6XX).
I had both side by side and if there was a slight difference it as good as unnoticeable.

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #45,712 of 48,579
So, Super X-Fi added the HiFiMan 4xx to their supported headphone list. I tried it out with my 400i (basically same cans, different pads) and they sound friggin amazing. This headphone (and Super X-Fi) still continues to impress me.

I will continue to sing this little device's praises. Love it. Sadly unless there is such a thing as an HDMI extractor with a USB output this thing will always be PC only.... (since consoles will never output surround PCM over USB...sadface)

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #45,713 of 48,579
So, Super X-Fi added the HiFiMan 4xx to their supported headphone list. I tried it out with my 400i (basically same cans, different pads) and they sound friggin amazing. This headphone (and Super X-Fi) still continues to impress me.

I will continue to sing this little device's praises. Love it. Sadly unless there is such a thing as an HDMI extractor with a USB output this thing will always be PC only.... (since consoles will never output surround PCM over USB...sadface)

Have been tempted to buy the SXFI amp again but was actually waiting for the SXFI Carrier as I could use a soundbar and it has SXFI for headphones built in.
Haven't seen anymore news about the Carrier since early this year though.

I do wonder if the SXFI Theater wireless dongle would work with PS5 or XsX.

Just ordered it at about half the regular price.

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #45,714 of 48,579
Ok so for some STUPID reason, now the Mobius IS working on the ps5. I promise you I did set it to 2ch last time and the ps5 wouldn't pick it up. But now it has no issue.

I do hear faint noise, and there isn't a large amount of volume headroom, so not sure it's ideal, but if you happen to own the Mobius, then I definitely recommend trying it out on PS5.

As for why it didn't work before, I seriously don't know.
Nice! Glad it works again for you now then :)

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #45,715 of 48,579
What would you guys recommend for around 180-240 EUR??

It would be always for PC, with fun gaming (MMOs), inmersion and good music quality, while being confortable.

Idk much about this but I have seen MMX300 (buy without amp), DT880 Pro (price would allow buying amp like soundblaster g6), HyperX Orbit, Sennheiser Game One or AKG K-712 Pro.
Feel free to recommend me another if they suit best the needs. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #45,716 of 48,579
What would you guys recommend for around 180-240 EUR??

It would be always for PC, with fun gaming (MMOs), inmersion and good music quality, while being confortable.

Idk much about this but I have seen MMX300 (buy without amp), DT880 Pro (price would allow buying amp like soundblaster g6), HyperX Orbit, Sennheiser Game One or AKG K-712 Pro.
Feel free to recommend me another if they suit best the needs. Thanks.

Have you looked at the Sennheiser HD560s? Either that or the Beyerdynamic TYGR300R if you wanted to save some Euro's, both excellent options for gaming

Nov 27, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #45,717 of 48,579
Have you looked at the Sennheiser HD560s? Either that or the Beyerdynamic TYGR300R if you wanted to save some Euro's, both excellent options for gaming

Would vote for the Tygr also - incredibly comfortable, great for gaming and can do a job for music listening also. Plus, easy to drive. If you don't need a mic they offer fantastic value imho.

Nov 27, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #45,718 of 48,579
The problem is that I don't have a mic:

- The TYGR300R are at around 160 (with shipping costs) eur, and the HD600s at 190. I would need to buy a mod mic which would rise the price to around 200 Eur.

- In the 200 price tag it is the DT 770/880 pro with a decent amp (130+80). Despite no mic it seems to be the everyone's favourite.

- Looking a the game one they are discounted at 160. And the MMX 300 which are at 220 eur. The Orbit are at 270, too expensive but I have heard many good things about the magnetic drivers.

However I don't know how they all compare to each other. What do you think is the best for price?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #45,719 of 48,579
Hello,

I’m a new member and have been reading the forum. I am very impressed with all the useful information here! I am getting a ps5 and eventually want to upgrade my audio equipment.
I have a mod mic and decent headphones I like that is a wired 3.5mm set.

I am wondering, would it be terrible to use a usb dongle like the ugreen USB adapter to get 3D audio and the mic inputs from one USB port? The headphones are 48 ohm. I was thinking about using this until finding a better solution. I would eventually like to get a nice set of headphones that would need a dac/amp setup, but want to wait until either Sony sorts out the hdmi pass through or supports uac2.

In the meantime, thanks for any advice you have to offer!

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #45,720 of 48,579
The problem is that I don't have a mic:

- The TYGR300R are at around 160 (with shipping costs) eur, and the HD600s at 190. I would need to buy a mod mic which would rise the price to around 200 Eur.

- In the 200 price tag it is the DT 770/880 pro with a decent amp (130+80). Despite no mic it seems to be the everyone's favourite.

- Looking a the game one they are discounted at 160. And the MMX 300 which are at 220 eur. The Orbit are at 270, too expensive but I have heard many good things about the magnetic drivers.

However I don't know how they all compare to each other. What do you think is the best for price?

Would you prefer open back or closed headphones? You're mentioning a mix of both, but DT770/MMX300 will give you a wildly different experience to say the HD600 or DT880. If you are just concerned about quality, you would want to pick an open back, as they will sound better for the price, but if you want to have sound isolation, then you will want a closed back, and there are far fewer quality closed back options on the market (DT770 being one of the more popular options).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back