Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 27, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #45,721 of 48,568
Hello,

I’m a new member and have been reading the forum. I am very impressed with all the useful information here! I am getting a ps5 and eventually want to upgrade my audio equipment.
I have a mod mic and decent headphones I like that is a wired 3.5mm set.

I am wondering, would it be terrible to use a usb dongle like the ugreen USB adapter to get 3D audio and the mic inputs from one USB port? The headphones are 48 ohm. I was thinking about using this until finding a better solution. I would eventually like to get a nice set of headphones that would need a dac/amp setup, but want to wait until either Sony sorts out the hdmi pass through or supports uac2.

In the meantime, thanks for any advice you have to offer!

As long as the USB adapter is supported, I can't imagine it will disappoint you, the main problem is the signal won't be as clean, and you will likely have hissing or some other feedback, but until you try something of higher quality, you would most likely be perfectly happy with it.

For example I'm double-amping for my XSX, it's outputting over analog (through my monitor) to a DSS2 (really cheap gaming amp at this point), and to be honest this is working perfectly fine for me, I'm still on the lookout for a better and more native solution, but until I find one, I can't find fault with this.

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #45,722 of 48,568
Would you prefer open back or closed headphones? You're mentioning a mix of both, but DT770/MMX300 will give you a wildly different experience to say the HD600 or DT880. If you are just concerned about quality, you would want to pick an open back, as they will sound better for the price, but if you want to have sound isolation, then you will want a closed back, and there are far fewer quality closed back options on the market (DT770 being one of the more popular options).

Tbh I am more leaned towards closed back, but that's not an important factor. For me, important factors are sound quality, game inmersion and confort.

Which of the three DT 770/880/990 PRO would you recommend for gaming/music? I know the difference is on the closed/semi-open/open back but still don't know which sound profile is better. And... more importantly: Do I really need an amp if I am using it for PC?

I also require a mic, and if I have to get an amp as well it might become too expensive. If this is the case, I think I'll go for the Sennheiser Game One which I think have good sound and mic, which at 150 eur is pretty ok.

I know headsets are not the most optimal regarding sound quality, but feel free to recommend!! (150-220 eur max)

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #45,723 of 48,568
Have been tempted to buy the SXFI amp again but was actually waiting for the SXFI Carrier as I could use a soundbar and it has SXFI for headphones built in.
Haven't seen anymore news about the Carrier since early this year though.

I do wonder if the SXFI Theater wireless dongle would work with PS5 or XsX.

Just ordered it at about half the regular price.

Ooooh didn't know about the Carrier. Looks interesting. I presume SX-Fi on the Carrier is still 7.1 though, and not a room speaker Atmos virtualization ala what the Realiser does? Still great if/when we get a SX-Fi device that can take HDMI in for 7.1 PCM, as that would enable Xbox support finally. I personally was waiting for the SXFI TV since I don't need a soundbar.

I think the wireless dongle works on anything that can do 5.1 or 7.1 PCM via USB.

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #45,724 of 48,568
Tbh I am more leaned towards closed back, but that's not an important factor. For me, important factors are sound quality, game inmersion and confort.

Which of the three DT 770/880/990 PRO would you recommend for gaming/music? I know the difference is on the closed/semi-open/open back but still don't know which sound profile is better. And... more importantly: Do I really need an amp if I am using it for PC?

I also require a mic, and if I have to get an amp as well it might become too expensive. If this is the case, I think I'll go for the Sennheiser Game One which I think have good sound and mic, which at 150 eur is pretty ok.

I know headsets are not the most optimal regarding sound quality, but feel free to recommend!! (150-220 eur max)
of the DT770/880/990, I'd recommend the 880. These are semi-open, so you get some leakage, but not bad. Also, they breathe so comfy for long sessions.

You can add a Antlion modmic to any headphone. I use one on a set of DT-1990. Or get a desk mic.

If you can get a good price on the MMX300, then that'll work. Think of it as a DT-770 with a mic. The Tygr 300R + modmic would be nice too.

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #45,725 of 48,568
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #45,726 of 48,568
Like expected....my KSC35 wireless is RIP. Lost one side of audio. Whelp...so typical. Guess I better get these modded with mmcx connectors as well.

Nov 28, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #45,727 of 48,568
SB Command does VSS over optical too. No worries.

Nov 28, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #45,729 of 48,568
Picked up a cheap G3 to use on my PS5 but it’ll be going straight back. USB output on the console must be really weak as I can get more volume via the Dualsense than the G3 (using PC38x or Tygr 300r) Plus mic quality takes a hit compared to the controller :frowning2:

Wish Sony hadn’t crippled using external audio devices so much. Will be counting on the Penrose now (hoping volume will be sufficient!?).

Nov 28, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #45,730 of 48,568
Picked up a cheap G3 to use on my PS5 but it’ll be going straight back. USB output on the console must be really weak as I can get more volume via the Dualsense than the G3 (using PC38x or Tygr 300r) Plus mic quality takes a hit compared to the controller :frowning2:

Wish Sony hadn’t crippled using external audio devices so much. Will be counting on the Penrose now (hoping volume will be sufficient!?).
If I remember correctly, the DAC that came with the Artcis Wireless Pro had a menu option to override the volume limiter. Though I am not sure this is related to your PS5 limited volume. I have the G6 driving HD 660s on the PS5 and am happy with the volume.

Nov 28, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #45,731 of 48,568
Glad I found that thread as I've been going insane trying to find information for the best headphones solution for the PS5. I'm in the same boat as a couple of people here currently using optical passthrough from the TV to an external device where I plug headphones.

My current setup is an old Harman Kardon AVR144 receiver (which does an excellent VSS through "Dolby Headphone") where I plug in my BeyerDynamics DT 770 .
But this setup was miracuslously found after trying about 20 pairs of gaming headset which honestly never sounded as good.
( I would say that the best headset I've tried so far was the Astro A50 (gen 4) but as I understand it, the "Dolby Headphone" it uses had a very annoying metallic sounding VSS. The Harman Kardon receiver I have is from 2006 and doesn't have that updated bad sound. )

But now, I was tempted to upgrade the receiver to a newer DAC (Soundblaster for example) but realized that I have these three problems:

- I'm playing from my couch and since these DAC don't have a remote, I would need to have a long wire (can't believe they don't consider couch players!)
- The PS5 3D Audio doesn't work through the optical (I would prefer this solution since I'm also using a seperate 4K Player using the same passthrough)
- I can't count!

So I'm not sure what my options are for the moment. Honestly, I'm not even sure the PS Tempest is worth it. Yesterday I bought the Steelseries Arctis 7P to test things out. Although they are considered among the best gaming headphones, I though the sound was pretty poor compared to my setup.

Only Demon Souls was a slight notch better at positioning sounds vs my receiver's VSS. For all the other games I've tried, the sound felt not "spaced enough" or muddy. (I've tried both Spider-Man, Call of Duty Cold War, Battlefield 1 and 5).

Maybe I'm too used to VSS.

Thoughts?

Nov 28, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #45,732 of 48,568
With PS5 I honestly don't think there is anything missing when using G6 (USB) combined with powerful DAC/AMP that has optical input. I like the tempest 3D audio after using VSS more than 10 years.

G6 might be good enough with many headphones but I prefer better AMP with HD800S. Nobody has complained the mic sound quality either.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #45,733 of 48,568
With PS5 I honestly don't think there is anything missing when using G6 (USB) combined with powerful DAC/AMP that has optical input. I like the tempest 3D audio after using VSS more than 10 years.

G6 might be good enough with many headphones but I prefer better AMP with HD800S. Nobody has complained the mic sound quality either.

Is the output power of the G6 enough to drive a 80ohm headset? And is there any device known to man that I can add to this to control the volume remotely from my couch? (I guess I could do it from the PS5's settings)

Nov 28, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #45,734 of 48,568
Is the output power of the G6 enough to drive a 80ohm headset? And is there any device known to man that I can add to this to control the volume remotely from my couch? (I guess I could do it from the PS5's settings)

Long USB cable to the G6 or long optical cable from G6 to a portable amp?

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #45,735 of 48,568

Galaxy Drifter just said that G6 can drive 150ohm HD660S loud enough on PS5 so I would think so. I tested G6 and HD660S with PS4 (and it was good) but I can't test them now. My other headphones are 50km away from here.

And the volume control. Look what AppleheadMay said. Long USB cable, optical cable or PS5 settings. I don't know how the PS5 remote control volume up and down works while playing games but it just might be on solution. Somebody with the remote could try if it works while gaming.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/accessories/media-remote/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back