Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 29, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #45,751 of 48,562
Does ps5 giving tempest 3D audio through G6? Does it work properly? Or G6 give only creative VSS?
You get Tempest 3D with the G6 or any supported usb dac.

You don't want to use Creative's VSS through usb as it'll take a stereo signal as opposed to Dolby, which the VSS needs to correctly well.

Of course, you can use Creative's VSS, if you send HDMI audio to a TV or receiver, and that TV or receiver can send out Dolby Digital through optical to the G6.

As long as you can do that, you can decide between both Tempest 3D or SBX.

The G6's versatility continues to prove why it's a great dac/amp.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #45,754 of 48,562
Would the G6 be a good upgrade to a 2013 mixamp pro with HD 599’s?

The mic quality with the mixamp is horrendous - distorted even with minimum volume on ps5 settings.

I did not have 2013 MixAmp Pro but Astro MixAmp Pro TR. I did not like the sound of VSS with the Pro TR. I heard that 2013 Pro sounded better. More natural sounding.

That said... G6 has better AMP than my MixAmp had and it is more versatile. The mic works just fine with it. The only down side is the game/chat balance control. It was more difficult to use with PS4 and I guess you can't use it with PS5 and Tempest 3D. I find the PS5 system game/chat balance easy to use.

I have HD598's and they do not need a powerful AMP. MixAmp was enough with them although I use them with HDV820 nowadays.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #45,755 of 48,562
i have tried plugging my dt770 in the dualsense and although the power output is much better than the DualShock 4, it still sounded compressed and weak.
Better amp from DualShock 4 but still sound weak ? It’s sad. I hope Sony don’t seat for nothing in term of amp quality in controller for 7 years. Sad. Only way is G6+headphone or Bluetooth headphones with ps5 license like Penrose

Nov 29, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #45,757 of 48,562
Better amp from DualShock 4 but still sound weak ? It’s sad. I hope Sony don’t seat for nothing in term of amp quality in controller for 7 years. Sad. Only way is G6+headphone or Bluetooth headphones with ps5 license like Penrose
Well it still sound good... but certainly not on par with what these audiophile headphones are supposed to sound like.

Nov 29, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #45,758 of 48,562
I did not have 2013 MixAmp Pro but Astro MixAmp Pro TR. I did not like the sound of VSS with the Pro TR. I heard that 2013 Pro sounded better. More natural sounding.

That said... G6 has better AMP than my MixAmp had and it is more versatile. The mic works just fine with it. The only down side is the game/chat balance control. It was more difficult to use with PS4 and I guess you can't use it with PS5 and Tempest 3D. I find the PS5 system game/chat balance easy to use.

I have HD598's and they do not need a powerful AMP. MixAmp was enough with them although I use them with HDV820 nowadays.
I literally said the G6 DOES work with Tempest 3D like two posts before yours...lol. And like...multiple times in the past few days.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #45,759 of 48,562
And what about Bluetooth headphones like Audeze Penrose? It’s also compressed?
While the Penrose does connect to a Bluetooth device, this is a secondary connection. The main connection is through a USB 2.4Ghz dongle that gets you uncompressed lossless audio.
But yes, if you use the Bluetooth side to connect to your phone or pc, it would be compressed.

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #45,761 of 48,562
Just ordered the G6. Can't wait to compare it with my Dolby Headphone receiver.
I still personally prefer Dolby Headphone in terms of positional accuracy and front/back awareness. So don't expect miracles especially if that's what you're used to.

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #45,762 of 48,562
I've read quickly through a couple of pages, so Im sorry if this was already asked... But I just want to confirm about pluggin the G6 to the PS5:

- I need to plug both the USB and Optical IN (passthrough from the TV)
- If I want to use the Tempest 3D Audio, I basically use the USB and turn off any processing from the G6. (selecting the G6 in the output device of the PS5)
- If I want to use the G6 7.1 VSS, I use the optical IN of the G6 (selecting "TV" in the audio output of the PS5 which will send it to the HMDI and the optical passthrough).

- I also assume that if I need to use the G6 with my standalone 4K player (also coming out through the passthrough) , I will need to leave my PS5 opened to power the G6.

Have I got that right?

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #45,763 of 48,562
Yes on all counts. You can leave the PS5 in rest mode with the ps5 settings to power usb devices even in rest mode at all times.

PS5 had rest mode issues before, but it's since been patched.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #45,764 of 48,562
Gone through all the comments since the Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX Review but still can't make my mind up...just seeing if anyone here has advice.

Came from a Sennheiser Game Zero (a few years of usage) to a Hyper X Cloud (Wired Mobius copy). God I loved the fullness, the richer bass, just everything else compared to the Game Zero (but Game Zero was great nonetheless). Mic was pretty eh in comparison though...so soft...Anyhow had to return it due to a technical fault.

Since then I've eyed the Penrose. I'm predominantly a PC user, I like the sound of wireless but I also want to sound clear on Discord so I will probably be wired the majority of the time anyway for the mic quality. While games are important to me I guess the real reason I'm using a "gaming" headset is because I need the mic. Otherwise, I'd be more wary about music performance.

Since then other devices have caught my eyes, primarily the HiFiMAN HE-5XX and the Sennheiser HD 6XX (and attaching a mod mic). I'm unsure how they'll compete to the 100mm planars I so happened to love on the Hyper X Cloud...again that fullness. As all three have in some shape or form been reviewed here, was just wondering if anyone has suggestions as to a path I should follow?

Nov 30, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #45,765 of 48,562
I can now use my Topping E30/L30 with the PS5 through USB and get 3D audio, only cost me $20:

[PS5] ---- USB ---- [THIS] ---- optical ---- [E30] ---- RCA ---- [L30] ---- 1/4" cable ---- Headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back