Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 29, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #45,736 of 48,568
Im tempted to cancel my penrose order and just try some 32ohm dt880s into the controller and attach a mic. Its cheaper and i can use them on my phone for music. Anyone tried this yet? Or has any thoughts on whether the controller and 32ohm beyers will be decent or not?

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #45,737 of 48,568
Both PS5 and XsX controllers will deliver sound through headphones, the XsX one will be louder.
But you can't expect the amps provided in a $60 controller to be decent, they are what they are, they provide sound in an affordable way.
Also, volume control doesn't give you much control, it goes a lot louder or a lot more silent very fast

Adding an amp between the controller (portable or desktop depending on your setup and needs) will not only give you more power to drive better headphones and drive your headphones better, you will have improvements like more impactful bass, better positioning and retrieval of detail, clarity, etc .... And more granular volume control.
I'm not playing the audiophile here, it's just something that is immediately noticeable, it's a totally different experience.
And a lot will depend on the amp as well though I suspect a lot of portable amps will already do the job well.
A dac/amp expands your options even further like I use it with the XsX and optical, PS5 will maybe allow that via USB later

Keep in mind there are other solutions as well: dedicated wireless headsets (I suspect Penrose to be at the top of them whih is why I ordered those), adding a G6 like MLE described. Maybe the SXFI Amp will work as well, I can test that when mine comes in.

As for different headphones: not only the impedance is important, also the sensitivity. Take the $7000 Susvara for example: only 60 ohm but I'm pretty sure you won't get much volume out of those with you controller, people drive them out of the speaker outputs 10W Class A tube amps to sound good.

So yes, you will get sound out of your controller with any headphone but it won't be good. It's a budget solution but it works.

Nov 29, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #45,738 of 48,568
Both PS5 and XsX controllers will deliver sound through headphones, the XsX one will be louder.
But you can't expect the amps provided in a $60 controller to be decent, they are what they are, they provide sound in an affordable way.
Also, volume control doesn't give you much control, it goes a lot louder or a lot more silent very fast

Adding an amp between the controller (portable or desktop depending on your setup and needs) will not only give you more power to drive better headphones and drive your headphones better, you will have improvements like more impactful bass, better positioning and retrieval of detail, clarity, etc .... And more granular volume control.
I'm not playing the audiophile here, it's just something that is immediately noticeable, it's a totally different experience.
And a lot will depend on the amp as well though I suspect a lot of portable amps will already do the job well.
A dac/amp expands your options even further like I use it with the XsX and optical, PS5 will maybe allow that via USB later

Keep in mind there are other solutions as well: dedicated wireless headsets (I suspect Penrose to be at the top of them whih is why I ordered those), adding a G6 like MLE described. Maybe the SXFI Amp will work as well, I can test that when mine comes in.

As for different headphones: not only the impedance is important, also the sensitivity. Take the $7000 Susvara for example: only 60 ohm but I'm pretty sure you won't get much volume out of those with you controller, people drive them out of the speaker outputs 10W Class A tube amps to sound good.

So yes, you will get sound out of your controller with any headphone but it won't be good. It's a budget solution but it works.
Ok thanks for the reply. So last question! I could get a g6 and perhaps beyerdynamic 880/990s with higher impedence, how do we feel these would compare with the penrose. Its wireless convenience vs audio quality, particularly thinking spatial awareness for gaming and for listening to music.

Nov 29, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #45,739 of 48,568
Just read my monitor manual and realized the 3.5mm output is a line level output (Dell U3219Q), which explains why I don't get any hiss when connected to my amp, so for those with a XSX connected to a PC monitor, worth checking if your monitor has a line out you can use, as you can then output Atmos Headphone or DTS-X Headpone over HDMI, and use whatever amp you like (obviously just won't get a mic input from this).

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #45,741 of 48,568
Does anyone know if the G6 on PS5 allows game-chat mix without optical? That's my only hang up. The system game-chat balance is still terrible. Are there any other options that don't require optical that have good game-chat balance (e.g. Penrose, Pulse 3D)?

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #45,742 of 48,568
Does anyone know if the G6 on PS5 allows game-chat mix without optical? That's my only hang up. The system game-chat balance is still terrible. Are there any other options that don't require optical that have good game-chat balance (e.g. Penrose, Pulse 3D)?

No it doesn’t. It would need an optical connection to enable it. The Pulse 3D is the only headset I know of currently that offers the game/chat mix on device with PS5?

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #45,744 of 48,568
Im tempted to cancel my penrose order and just try some 32ohm dt880s into the controller and attach a mic. Its cheaper and i can use them on my phone for music. Anyone tried this yet? Or has any thoughts on whether the controller and 32ohm beyers will be decent or not?
I also interesting in it! I want meze 99 connect to ps5 controller OR buy a Sony platinum headset. What will be better in sound quality?

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #45,746 of 48,568
With PS5 I honestly don't think there is anything missing when using G6 (USB) combined with powerful DAC/AMP that has optical input. I like the tempest 3D audio after using VSS more than 10 years.

G6 might be good enough with many headphones but I prefer better AMP with HD800S. Nobody has complained the mic sound quality either.
Does ps5 giving tempest 3D audio through G6? Does it work properly? Or G6 give only creative VSS?

Sony Platinum is crap and doesn't go loud at all. I had one.
From what i read 3D Pulse is the same, weak amp.
Thanks. I hope ps5 controller amp can amp headphones like meze 99, because I don’t want to buy another devise like G6

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #45,747 of 48,568
Thanks. I hope ps5 controller amp can amp headphones like meze 99, because I don’t want to buy another devise like G6

I don't know the Meze headphones at all so I can't comment from experience but from their specs I see they have a low impedance and high sensitivity so they should be easy to drive.
That said, the amp in the PS5 controller is a weak amp and goes much less loud than the one in the XsX controller.

In any case you will have sound and if you want to you can add an amp later on.

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #45,748 of 48,568
I don't know the Meze headphones at all so I can't comment from experience but from their specs I see they have a low impedance and high sensitivity so they should be easy to drive.
That said, the amp in the PS5 controller is a weak amp and goes much less loud than the one in the XsX controller.

In any case you will have sound and if you want to you can add an amp later on.
Yeah, right.
Thanks

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #45,749 of 48,568
Be aware that using the controller amp has more compromises than just volume. You are switching from a lossless USB signal to a Bluetooth compressed wireless signal. The difference in quality is very noticeable imo.

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #45,750 of 48,568
Does ps5 giving tempest 3D audio through G6? Does it work properly? Or G6 give only creative VSS?

Yes it does and it works properly. You just have to disable VSS from G6 with SB Command software. I played way too many hours of CoD WZ and Cold War Zombies during the weekend and I'm not going back to VSS with PS5. It works and sounds nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back