Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 26, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #45,691 of 48,566
Is there a better option than the G6 if you want VSS instead of 3D audio on PS5? Can you get 7.1 SBX without having to go optical to the TV? And does the G6 work well on PS5 for movies or music?

Hmm, at the moment, not any I can think of.

As long as a movie is outputting proper Dolby Digital and the TV can passthrough that through optical, you should be fine.

I would not use SBX for music. Unless the music is encoded in Dolby D.

Will the G6 output to both the headphone jack and the optical out or are they mutually exclusive?

Only one at a time, IIRC. I'll have to reconfirm when I get home, but I'm 99.9% sure you have to decide on whether to send audio to headphones or output to either of analog out or digital out.

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #45,692 of 48,566
Hmm, at the moment, not any I can think of.

As long as a movie is outputting proper Dolby Digital and the TV can passthrough that through optical, you should be fine.

I would not use SBX for music. Unless the music is encoded in Dolby D.

Only one at a time, IIRC. I'll have to reconfirm when I get home, but I'm 99.9% sure you have to decide on whether to send audio to headphones or output to either of analog out or digital out.

Thoughts on the Schiit Asgard 3 with DAC module to pair with G6 (using HD6XX) instead of the Modi / Magni combo? I missed a sweet deal on eBay the other day (Asgard3), still salty I passed on it :frowning2:

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #45,696 of 48,566
Sorry to interrupt the current conversation, but I just wanted to ask about the Denon 7000 and their isolation specifically.

I know MLE has mentioned that they virtually have none, but I'm wondering whether they still offer more of an isolation than a fully open back HP.
I'm asking because my current GPU is emitting a very slight coil whine, barely noticeable, (I've also done some undervolting to help reduce it a bit) but still there, and due to everything else being quiet I almost try to listen out for it with my OCD about a perfectly silent background.

Would the d7000 offer enough isolation to reduce noises like that? Comparable to very low fan noise I suppose.

Also great guide by the way, really appreciated.

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #45,697 of 48,566
Yes, even those it's not great at isolation, it will still block out some noise, especially when you're listening to something.

Thoughts on the Schiit Asgard 3 with DAC module to pair with G6 (using HD6XX) instead of the Modi / Magni combo? I missed a sweet deal on eBay the other day (Asgard3), still salty I passed on it :frowning2:
Well the DAC module is USB only, so there's no way to get digital signal from the G6 to the Asgard. You'll have to use the G6 as the dac.

That's just not true though, my Mobius works fine in USB mode. Make sure you have the headphone in 2channel mode, else it doesn't work!
Did that, still nothing, so I can't say something works when for me it doesn't work at all. Don't know what else to tell you. With that level of inconsistency, I'd rather be safe in not recommending people buy a Mobius for the PS5. If you have one, definitely check and see, but YMMV.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #45,698 of 48,566
Well the DAC module is USB only, so there's no way to get digital signal from the G6 to the Asgard. You'll have to use the G6 as the dac.

Did that, still nothing, so I can't say something works when for me it doesn't work at all. Don't know what else to tell you. With that level of inconsistency, I'd rather be safe in not recommending people buy a Mobius for the PS5. If you have one, definitely check and see, but YMMV.
Yeah that’s why I replied actually, I have a PS5 here with a Mobius connected to it in USB mode with the headset in 2channel mode (the normal one, not high fidelity 2ch. You probably tried it this way already but still wanted to add that) and for me it works.

I agree you can’t recommend something that doesn’t work for you though but chiming in here with a working one that if you have one laying around, it could work. YMMV indeed.

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #45,701 of 48,566
Which headphones have you tested, that can be driven straight out of the XBOX controller, with no need for an amp?
If I ever manage to get my hands on an XBOX, I will need headphones for my son, so I can keep my sanity while he's playing... :wink:

Sorry for the late reply, wanted to test a few phones with both controllers before I answered.

Audeze LCD-GX, Drop Panda, Sennheiser HD 660 S (or HD58X if you want, basically the same phones) and HD 598 Cs: all too loud with the XsX controller at full power, just ok with the PS5 controller.
AKG K7XX, Sennheiser HD 600, 650, 800 S and 820: loud enough with the XsX controller, too quiet with the PS5 controller.

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about quality amplification here, you can't expect of either controllers to have serious amps in them, the XsX controller has just more power or higher gain.
I much prefer the controller connected to my portable amp. In the case of the PS5 I connect the amp to the controller, for the XsX I connect the amp via optical to the TV.
The amp I use is the iFi iDSD Micro BL. Not the cheapest little thing but it does have analog, optical, coax and USB inputs as well as 4W of power.

One more word on the Sony wireless headphones for PS: I used to have the Platinum Wireless and that thing had really weak power. I read something (or saw a video) about the 3D Pulse this week which said exactly the same.
Which is why I bought the Penroses for my consoles as wireless solutions.

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #45,702 of 48,566
Nov 26, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #45,703 of 48,566
Sorry for the late reply, wanted to test a few phones with both controllers before I answered.

Audeze LCD-GX, Drop Panda, Sennheiser HD 660 S (or HD58X if you want, basically the same phones) and HD 598 Cs: all too loud with the XsX controller at full power, just ok with the PS5 controller.
AKG K7XX, Sennheiser HD 600, 650, 800 S and 820: loud enough with the XsX controller, too quiet with the PS5 controller.

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about quality amplification here, you can't expect of either controllers to have serious amps in them, the XsX controller has just more power or higher gain.
I much prefer the controller connected to my portable amp. In the case of the PS5 I connect the amp to the controller, for the XsX I connect the amp via optical to the TV.
The amp I use is the iFi iDSD Micro BL. Not the cheapest little thing but it does have analog, optical, coax and USB inputs as well as 4W of power.

One more word on the Sony wireless headphones for PS: I used to have the Platinum Wireless and that thing had really weak power. I read something (or saw a video) about the 3D Pulse this week which said exactly the same.
Which is why I bought the Penroses for my consoles as wireless solutions.
Thanks and what about quality sod sound by connecting with controller ps5? I want new headphones for ps5 and while Penrose not available now a chose between MEZE 99 (connection to controller ps5) and Sony 3D pulse. What will be better in sound quality? I don’t have external amp.

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #45,704 of 48,566
Guys just wanted to update that the 3D audio issue seems to be mainly Black Ops. That game is piss poor for bass. Like awful and really highlights the problem.

I've played Spiderman a bit yesterday and didn't notice the problem once. But I don't think Spiderman Remastered (not Miles Morales yet) uses 3D audio aside from a generic virtual surround for it, so it may not be using what causes the issue with the bass. I'll need much more testing.

That's just not true though, my Mobius works fine in USB mode. Make sure you have the headphone in 2channel mode, else it doesn't work!

Ok so for some STUPID reason, now the Mobius IS working on the ps5. I promise you I did set it to 2ch last time and the ps5 wouldn't pick it up. But now it has no issue.

I do hear faint noise, and there isn't a large amount of volume headroom, so not sure it's ideal, but if you happen to own the Mobius, then I definitely recommend trying it out on PS5.

As for why it didn't work before, I seriously don't know.

Have you checked this with more sensitive headphones and lower ps5 system volume?
I did try with my PortaPros. I didn't check to see if it's a sys volume thing. I'll test that out.

edit: Even at lower volume, can still hear the distortion.

Omg triple post. I'm ashamed. Sorry guys.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #45,705 of 48,566
Guys just wanted to update that the 3D audio issue seems to be mainly Black Ops. That game is piss poor for bass. Like awful and really highlights the problem.

I've played Spiderman a bit yesterday and didn't notice the problem once. But I don't think Spiderman Remastered (not Miles Morales yet) uses 3D audio aside from a generic virtual surround for it, so it may not be using what causes the issue with the bass. I'll need much more testing.
yep, this was my experience too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back