Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 16, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #44,146 of 48,562
Direct Mode works with anything, as long as you send it the proper signal. For the PS4, go to the PS4 sound settings and make sure to pick 2channel pcm. Remember, we're not using surround or anything for the test. We just wanna rule out that the G6's audio out is or isn't bad.

All Direct Mode is doing is bypassing any and all G6's internal software enhancements. It's effectively working like a regular dac that doesn't have all those extra options. Like say, a Schiit Modi.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #44,147 of 48,562
Sorry, I'm really quite new at this and don't really have any other hardware to hook up and check. Haven't tried direct mode because as I understand it doesn't work on PS4. It's really not a huge deal if I can't get the Atom to play nice. The G6 sounds great on its own, just thought it was weird what it was doing.
I don't know if this is the cause of your problem or not but SBX presets/profiles are composed of two sub-profiles, one for headphone out, the other for rear line-out. Changing anything in the SBX effects suite for one output's (sub-)profile, whether it be VSS, EQ, Bass boost etc., will not automatically effect the same change for the other output's (sub-)profile. They need to be configured separately. You do this by connecting to PC and then adjusting settings according to the output you have selected in the Sound Blaster Command control panel. By output, I mean the headphone/speaker toggle on the bottom left of the Sound Blaster control panel. Have it on headphones to make adjustments to the active SBX profile for headphones ; toggle it to speakers to adjust the (sub-)profile for the rear line-out. Whatever your final configurations are when you disconnect will be whatever's stored in the memory for the two outputs.
What this ultimately means is that pressing the SBX button on the G6 may engage different effects, a different configuration depending on which output you are using.

For example, for my Sennheisers, I mainly use my G6 as a dac for my hybrid tube amp. I thus have an EQ compensation profile applied to SBX on the rear line-out in order to tame the Sennheiser's treble and bring out more of the bass in addition to applying 20% of the SBX bass boost simulated sub effect. For more casual use though, I don't bother with the Sennheisers and hybrid tube amp and just use the G6 as dac/amp with my Fidelios and AKGs from the G6 headphone out. I don't need EQ or bass boost in this scenario so the headphone out's SBX profile just has VSS engaged with no EQ or bass boost.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #44,148 of 48,562
Direct Mode works with anything, as long as you send it the proper signal. For the PS4, go to the PS4 sound settings and make sure to pick 2channel pcm. Remember, we're not using surround or anything for the test. We just wanna rule out that the G6's audio out is or isn't bad.

All Direct Mode is doing is bypassing any and all G6's internal software enhancements. It's effectively working like a regular dac that doesn't have all those extra options. Like say, a Schiit Modi.

Unfortunately, it appears to be doing this in Direct Mode too. I guess there is something wrong with the line out? Thanks

I also plugged the headphones directly into the line out and it produces the same phenomenon...

1584441407714.png

I don't know if this is the cause of your problem or not but SBX presets/profiles are composed of two sub-profiles, one for headphone out, the other for rear line-out. Changing anything in the SBX effects suite for one output's (sub-)profile, whether it be VSS, EQ, Bass boost etc., will not automatically effect the same change for the other output's (sub-)profile. They need to be configured separately. You do this by connecting to PC and then adjusting settings according to the output you have selected in the Sound Blaster Command control panel. By output, I mean the headphone/speaker toggle on the bottom left of the Sound Blaster control panel. Have it on headphones to make adjustments to the active SBX profile for headphones ; toggle it to speakers to adjust the (sub-)profile for the rear line-out. Whatever your final configurations are when you disconnect will be whatever's stored in the memory for the two outputs.
What this ultimately means is that pressing the SBX button on the G6 may engage different effects, a different configuration depending on which output you are using.

For example, for my Sennheisers, I mainly use my G6 as a dac for my hybrid tube amp. I thus have an EQ compensation profile applied to SBX on the rear line-out in order to tame the Sennheiser's treble and bring out more of the bass in addition to applying 20% of the SBX bass boost simulated sub effect. For more casual use though, I don't bother with the Sennheisers and hybrid tube amp and just use the G6 as dac/amp with my Fidelios and AKGs from the G6 headphone out. I don't need EQ or bass boost in this scenario so the headphone out's SBX profile just has VSS engaged with no EQ or bass boost.

Thanks and yes I noticed there were profiles for speakers and headphones so I just configured both the same way.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #44,149 of 48,562
You just got the G6 right? Ask, and get a replacement. Also, your speaker config is set to 7.1. Set it to 2 channel/stereo. I hope you tested it that way. To rule out every possible possibility.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #44,150 of 48,562
You just got the G6 right? Ask, and get a replacement. Also, your speaker config is set to 7.1. Set it to 2 channel/stereo. I hope you tested it that way. To rule out every possible possibility.

Yes tested that way too, thanks for all the advice, I just wanted to exhaust all options before asking for an exchange.
There is one more thing I want to check this evening after work before exchanging. Right now I'm running the Beta firmware 1.16 because I really want the game/chat mix feature. I am going to do a factory reset and update with the official firmware 1.16 to rule that out as well.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #44,151 of 48,562
You'd do better connecting straight from a source, not the tv.

That's the thing with the PS4 slim. Since they removed the optical port. Unless you consider using USB, there's no other option for connecting directly, not without adapters anyway. Speaking about USB, do you know how much data it carries?

Maybe using an adapter would be better than relying on an older hdtv's optical output.

I guess I could get an hdmi hub/splitter. Then, if they don't make a hdmi to coax cable, I'd need a converter. After all of that, I would expect a noticeable difference in the audio quality. Doubtful.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #44,152 of 48,562
That's the thing with the PS4 slim. Since they removed the optical port. Unless you consider using USB, there's no other option for connecting directly, not without adapters anyway. Speaking about USB, do you know how much data it carries?

Maybe using an adapter would be better than relying on an older hdtv's optical output.

I guess I could get an hdmi hub/splitter. Then, if they don't make a hdmi to coax cable, I'd need a converter. After all of that, I would expect a noticeable difference in the audio quality. Doubtful.
I mainly meant like a receiver. Many people tend to have AV receivers with their tvs. They'll have better internals.

I say this, even though I'm someone who DOESN'T have a receiver.

Mar 17, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #44,153 of 48,562
So no optical out on the Xbox Series X - it better well have USB audio then as its just made an awful lot of gaming audio equipment redundant. I'm guessing its just made a load of Astro gaming gear surplus to requirements for those getting the new console.

Mar 17, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #44,154 of 48,562
I'm not really a console gamer, but you can just go console to television with hdmi, and then pass the audio through the television's optical out, right? But alternatively, since they are touting improvements to reverb with hardware acceleration, maybe dolby atmos for headphone will actually sound good with some of the newer games.

Mar 17, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #44,155 of 48,562
I mainly meant like a receiver. Many people tend to have AV receivers with their tvs. They'll have better internals.

I say this, even though I'm someone who DOESN'T have a receiver.
Right. I DID have a receiver at one time. and. If I were to buy a hub/splitter/converter, might as well just buy a receiver that does all of those things, and, probably does them better. Which redirects me back to one of my earlier questions. Short of buying a receiver. How does USB audio compare to something like 16/44? TV optical output?

Mar 17, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #44,156 of 48,562
Yes tested that way too, thanks for all the advice, I just wanted to exhaust all options before asking for an exchange.
There is one more thing I want to check this evening after work before exchanging. Right now I'm running the Beta firmware 1.16 because I really want the game/chat mix feature. I am going to do a factory reset and update with the official firmware 1.16 to rule that out as well.
I just remembered that in Direct Mode, the mic input is disabled. IIRC.

Mar 18, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #44,157 of 48,562
I'm not really a console gamer, but you can just go console to television with hdmi, and then pass the audio through the television's optical out, right? But alternatively, since they are touting improvements to reverb with hardware acceleration, maybe dolby atmos for headphone will actually sound good with some of the newer games.

Yea - TV is an option although my TV bracket partially blocks the optical output and when I found a cable that fits, it still isn't working....yet.

Its looking like licensed wireless products or controller audio again for the Series X - just hope the controller is up to driving some half decent headphones.

Mar 18, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #44,158 of 48,562
It depends. On newer TVs (past few years) most likely yes. On older TVs going back to around the 2010s, yes too. On not old but not new (early-mid 2010’s to mid-late 2010s, it depends. There was a chunk of several years where there were some licensing concerns / controversy which meant that some manufacturers / some models did not implement passthrough let alone transcoding of Dolby Digital and so optical out on a great many TVs was limited to stereo PCM.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #44,159 of 48,562
To anyone with G6 crackling/popping: It's a bug with Windows 10, the DirectSound buffers get borky, and you get error on playback. Can even lead to output going silent, and requiring a device reset. (unplug/plug) IIRC, this is addressed in 20H1. Easy fix is to alternate Direct Mode and back. (You can also change DS bit/samplerate default. This will reset DirectSound too)
Is there any site that documents this issue? If this is Windows 10 issue, why does it only affect the g6 (I tried another usb dac/amp of mine and there's no pop issue)?

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #44,160 of 48,562
Apparently my entire issue with the G6 line out and turning the SBX button off, is related to only games on PS4 while using Bitstream Dolby. Tested with Modern Warfare and RB6. Switching to Linear PCM solves the channel switching problem I was having when turning SBX button off. I did some channel tests on YouTube on PS4 using Bitstream Dolby and on PC but could not recreate the problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back