Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 16, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #44,131 of 48,562
Digital Foundry's analysis of final Xbox Series X hardware. The most important aspect from audio perspective: We're finally getting hardware accelerated 3D audio on system level and not engine level

Mar 16, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #44,132 of 48,562
You can use an spdif optical cable. Just make sure the tv audio is set to 2 channel pcm if you're using a normal dac like a Modi. If you're using a gaming amp/dac like the G6, you can set the TV audio to 5ch dolby digital / bitstream. It more or less depending on what you're connecting to the TV. You can also use regular rca audio cables to connect to an amp or speakers, though you're at the mercy of whatever cheap dac is in the TV. I would only go this way if it's the only option you have. It's the ports right below the optical out.

yeah. I've always used optical, even after they removed the port from the ps4 slim. AnywayI read coaxial is better because it can carry more frequencies? Don't they make some kind of hdmi to coax adapter? Even if they do, i feel like that wouldn't sound any better because of the additional component the sound world have to pass through. I wonder if newer optical cables carry more information. The one I'm using is probably nearing ten years in age, and it was a fairly cheap one.

Also. The other day I switched between consoles. Either the wrong codec, or output was selected, which resulted in this terribly loud pulsing/tapping noise. Luckily my volume was down, it only occurred for a couple of second, and my headphoneseem to be fine. What in the world is that awful sound? Can it hurt the headphones?

Mar 16, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #44,133 of 48,562
yeah. I've always used optical, even after they removed the port from the ps4 slim. AnywayI read coaxial is better because it can carry more frequencies? Don't they make some kind of hdmi to coax adapter? Even if they do, i feel like that wouldn't sound any better because of the additional component the sound world have to pass through. I wonder if newer optical cables carry more information. The one I'm using is probably nearing ten years in age, and it was a fairly cheap one.

Also. The other day I switched between consoles. Either the wrong codec, or output was selected, which resulted in this terribly loud pulsing/tapping noise. Luckily my volume was down, it only occurred for a couple of second, and my headphone seem to be fine. What in the world is that awful sound? Can it hurt the headphones?
That's likely because of using the incorrect sound type. It sounds like BRRRRRRRRT. Your headphones should be fine. After all it's just a loud sound. Headphones are made to output sound, lol. As long as it wasn't overly loud. Even then, your headphone likely didn't suffer any damage. If it did, you'd hear it.

What matters is whatever dac you're using. It won't matter if your dac can't get any of that super high end data to begin with.

Mar 16, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #44,134 of 48,562
What matters is whatever dac you're using. It won't matter if your dac can't get any of that super high end data to begin with.

smsl sd 793ii.

If this dac is good enough. Would it be worth it to upgrade my optical cable or add an adapter to utilize the coaxial port? Maybe I wouldn't notice a difference.

How much data do todays optical cables carry? 24-bit/96kHz ?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #44,135 of 48,562
Optical cable either transmit data or don't. Its LIGHT. It either sends it or doesn't. There's no reason to change optical cable unless it's messed up and not working. And yes 24/96.

As for your dac, it does up to 24/96. So there's nothing you can do from your optical to make it better.

Also, most tvs only send out 16/44 or 16/48 from their optical outs anyways....

You'd do better connecting straight from a source, not the tv. Unless of course you're streaming from the TVs apps itself.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #44,136 of 48,562
Sorry, I thought I had it figured out but now I'm sure I do, I just don't know what settings to change to fix it. The problem is when I'm using the line out from my G6 to my JDS Labs Atom with SBX switched off, on the device, sounds directly to my left @ 9 o'clock switch to the right speaker on my headphones (sounds on the right stay on the right). But if I leave SBX turned on, on the device, the left and right channels work as they should. Now if I plug my headphones directly into the G6 and don't use my Atom amp, there are no issues at all with SBX turned on or off. I know I should probably just use the G6 standalone if this is the case but there's got to be a way to get these devices to play nice right? Thanks

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #44,137 of 48,562
Sorry, I thought I had it figured out but now I'm sure I do, I just don't know what settings to change to fix it. The problem is when I'm using the line out from my G6 to my JDS Labs Atom with SBX switched off, on the device, sounds directly to my left @ 9 o'clock switch to the right speaker on my headphones (sounds on the right stay on the right). But if I leave SBX turned on, on the device, the left and right channels work as they should. Now if I plug my headphones directly into the G6 and don't use my Atom amp, there are no issues at all with SBX turned on or off. I know I should probably just use the G6 standalone if this is the case but there's got to be a way to get these devices to play nice right? Thanks
G6 Settings...Speakers... Is Apply Headphone Virt to Line/Optical Out enabled? (By default it's off)

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #44,139 of 48,562
That's weiiiiird. What are you trying to connect a headset to your amp? Because regular amps don't like headsets that have mic channel in the line.

That usually results in one channel missing and some other shenanigans.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #44,140 of 48,562
That's weiiiiird. What are you trying to connect a headset to your amp? Because regular amps don't like headsets that have mic channel in the line.

That usually results in one channel missing and some other shenanigans.

Not a headset, DT 1990's. I'm running a modmic 5 but it's plugged directly into the G6. The weird thing is that everything is fine when the SBX button is activated.

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #44,141 of 48,562
Hmm, the only thing I can thing of is that one of the cables isn't fully inserted, or is faulty. Check the cables/adapters connecting the G6 to the Atom. If anything isn't fully inserted, it can lead to things like this happening. The reason SBX works, is because of how dsp crossfeeds both channels, so it is harder to notice.

Sorry, just throwing out ideas. It def sounds like a cable connection issue. The G6 works alone, and I assume so does the Atom. So it has to be the bridge between them, the G6's audio out, or the Atom's audio in. I'd check those things indivually with other gear.

I.e. Connect the Atom to your phone's headphone jack, and test the channels with a youtube video, etc.

Test the G6 audio out with maybe some bookshelf speakers...

Try and rule everything out.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #44,142 of 48,562
Hmm, the only thing I can thing of is that one of the cables isn't fully inserted, or is faulty. Check the cables/adapters connecting the G6 to the Atom. If anything isn't fully inserted, it can lead to things like this happening. The reason SBX works, is because of how dsp crossfeeds both channels, so it is harder to notice.

Sorry, just throwing out ideas. It def sounds like a cable connection issue.

Yeah that's the first thing I tried as soon as I realized what was happening. I've been using the 3.5mm in so grabbed a 3.5 to RCA to see if that would work but did the same thing. It was working fine with my Astro Mixamp though and I swear it sounds as though its working as intended when SBX is activated because tracking sounds is better than anything I've used before. It really probably shouldn't bug me but once I get fixated on something I can't let it go LoL

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #44,143 of 48,562
Yeah that's the first thing I tried as soon as I realized what was happening. I've been using the 3.5mm in so grabbed a 3.5 to RCA to see if that would work but did the same thing. It was working fine with my Astro Mixamp though and I swear it sounds as though its working as intended when SBX is activated because tracking sounds is better than anything I've used before. It really probably shouldn't bug me but once I get fixated on something I can't let it go LoL

I decided to do one quick test before giving it a rest for the night and can confirm it's only happening when using the line out. I connected the headphone out to the amp and it worked like it's supposed to. There must be a setting I'm overlooking for the line out?

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #44,144 of 48,562
So it's only happening when using the G6's line out? Did you connect something else to the G6 to make certain? As in another amp or speakers, to the G6's line out.

And it's not happening in Direct Mode? If not, then something is wrong in your software settings. Like virtual speaker shifting or something.

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #44,145 of 48,562
So it's only happening when using the G6's line out? Did you connect something else to the G6 to make certain? As in another amp or speakers, to the G6's line out.

And it's not happening in Direct Mode? If not, then something is wrong in your software settings. Like virtual speaker shifting or something.

Sorry, I'm really quite new at this and don't really have any other hardware to hook up and check. Haven't tried direct mode because as I understand it doesn't work on PS4. It's really not a huge deal if I can't get the Atom to play nice. The G6 sounds great on its own, just thought it was weird what it was doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back