Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 14, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #28,411 of 48,578
With the silent cinema on the yamaha, would i be able to use a mic like the adg-1? Im pretty sure i cant, however i rarely use chat anyways.  Maybe i will get Philips X2 (liked the 1st version i had) with a v-moda boompro mic.  Then i have headphones for music listening too.  I will keep eye on ebay for mix amp for those times i may want to use chat.

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #28,412 of 48,578

I have the Game One and feel the same with you regarding the mixamp and a cinematic experience. Also, the mixamp rolls off the bass which was sounding distorted to me with the game one and shows like Game of Thrones. I recently bought a Philips X2 and plug it directly into my Yamaha receiver, which provides a simulated surround sound call Silent Cinema. It is a nice affect (not as good as dolby headphone) and good enough for me for movies and cinematic games. The X2, however, is exactly what I needed. Rumbles, explosions, completely emersive for both gaming and movies (out of the mixamp as well when I want to chat). Highly recommend buying the X2 if you want an emersive cinematic experience. YMMV.

i think this is exact route im going to go

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #28,413 of 48,578
  Speaking of cleaning house...anyone in the market for an MA900?

It doesn't get talked about much anymore, maybe because of the discontinuation.

I am, PM me.

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #28,414 of 48,578
What do you guys think of using the DT770s with some EQ (equalizer apo) to lower the bass when "competitive" gaming? Seems like a winner based off Madlust's review.  I'm trying to find a comfortable closed-back to compliment my K7XX's for gaming when it's noisy and they seem to fit the bill if EQ works out.

Are there any other headphones that I should be looking at? I'd like something with:
-Spacious circumaural
-Good positional accuracy
-Good isolation
-Light to medium weight, Mad dogs are just too heavy and wide(annoying when reclining) for me. Basically an all-day headphone
-At least somewhat close to neutral, with good sub-bass extension for when not tryharding in a video game
-Preferably $300 USD or less

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #28,415 of 48,578
  What do you guys think of using the DT770s with some EQ (equalizer apo) to lower the bass when "competitive" gaming? Seems like a winner based off Madlust's review.  I'm trying to find a comfortable closed-back to compliment my K7XX's for gaming when it's noisy and they seem to fit the bill if EQ works out.

Are there any other headphones that I should be looking at? I'd like something with:
-Spacious circumaural
-Good isolation
-Light to medium weight, Mad dogs are just too heavy and wide(annoying when reclining) for me. Basically an all-day headphone
-At least somewhat close to neutral, with good sub-bass extension for when not tryharding in a video game

Mr. Speaker 3.2 seems like the better option from everything I've read. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #28,417 of 48,578

Have those, they're just not working out for me in the comfort department(weight and overall bulk). I'll generally opt to use the K7XX's and crank the volume louder than I should.

Not much else in the way of closed back except for AKG k550 which I owned, very hard to get a good seal and I personally hated the sound signature. Also the Beyerdynamic t70's which I have not heard but from what MLE said they are very good for gaming.

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #28,418 of 48,578

-Spacious circumaural
-Good isolation

Maybe the ATH-A700/900's?

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #28,419 of 48,578
For the Creative devices, like Stillhart, I recommend turning EVERYTHING OFF except for surround. I like mine at about 75-80% on my internal Recond 3Di.

Bass, crystallizer, and whatnot are just afterthought EQs that deliberately alter the headphone's SQ. I don't like to touch my headphone's sound with the exception of adding virtual surround.

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #28,420 of 48,578
For the Creative devices, like Stillhart, I recommend turning EVERYTHING OFF except for surround. I like mine at about 75-80% on my internal Recond 3Di.

Bass, crystallizer, and whatnot are just afterthought EQs that deliberately alter the headphone's SQ. I don't like to touch my headphone's sound with the exception of adding virtual surround.

What about windows setting/in game settings? Such as BF4?

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #28,421 of 48,578
In game settings should always be something akin to Home Theater, because the surround feature is basically like accepting a multi speaker setup and converting it for headphone surround. You do NOT want to set in game sound to headphones or anything remotely like that. it should be Home Theater or whatever is closest to that.

Unless you are absolutely not digging a headphone's own sound, absolutely no EQ should be used to get a proper sound from your headphones, IMHO. Crystallizer, bass, etc, etc. Turn that stuff off.

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #28,422 of 48,578
  Not much else in the way of closed back except for AKG k550 which I owned, very hard to get a good seal and I personally hated the sound signature. Also the Beyerdynamic t70's which I have not heard but from what MLE said they are very good for gaming.

The Beyers look pretty nice for competitive gaming, not sure I'd like how it sounds for general use though, especially since I'd be frequently switching between the K7XXs.  All Beyerdynamics certainly look very comfortable, though.

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #28,423 of 48,578
Turning the surround so low to 20% is basically like playing nearly in stereo, and makes it moot. Only the duhards that absolutely do not want to alter anything should ever be that low. If you want surround, then UTILIZE it. 67% is bare minimum, IMHO.

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #28,424 of 48,578

-Spacious circumaural
-Good isolation

I recommend the SoundMAGIC HP100.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #28,425 of 48,578
  What about windows setting/in game settings? Such as BF4?

Im using Home Cinema or Home Theater or whatever its called and Surround. This is what Evshrug told me and let me tell you, it works wonderfully and the best compared to the other options. Dont use Headphone/Surround or else everything will sound muddy, will make it harder to distinguish sounds or seperate sounds, even if you have the surround option on.

In the SB Z control panel, I left it at 67%. I have tried playing around with it up to 76% and I still cant tell the difference but Im sure anything past 76%, everything becomes a bit more intimate, closer, immersive. It really depends on what you like or not like. I cant honestly agree to anyone saying that 67% percent or 70% or 33% percent or whatever number people are putting out, is the best for either competitive fps. I think it really depends on what the headphone can do depending on the headphones merits.

VSS can make crappy headphones sound better but not the best...and so on and so on...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back