Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 14, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #28,396 of 48,579
Hi, I used to have the DT880 (600 ohm), from using it I'd wager that the rear "hole" is a result of the DT880 having such precise imaging, and here's why.

Most games these days have surround produced for home theaters. Think of a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup... The rear speakers are placed at about 5 and 7 0'clock, no rear center speaker. The DT880 makes that clear.

The DT880 are very comfortable and pretty headphones, I also found them a bit dry and the treble peak was more than my ears could listen to for the time lengths I tend to use headphones. YMMV.
K612 is priced low compared to what you get and the rest of the market. The K612 should cost $200 US, the K701 and it's variants should cost $270, so IMO anything less is a bargain and competes favorably against similarly priced alternatives.
You're basically asking for a couple mini-reviews... How about, instead, you read reviews that are more in-depth, written with careful consideration after personally listening to the headphone? And, they're already written, basically alread answering your question! Sound's pretty helpful to your situation, right? Here's a link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-1-4-2015-beyerdynamic-t70-added/0_30#post_7208658

If you want anyone to provide more service for you, you should pay us for our efforts and expenses doing research for you
wink.gif

Crazy that HD700 prices have fallen so low that they're in the same price bracket as those others. If the HD700 is close to the sound signature that appeals to you, then it's the obvious choice among those others on grounds of sheer proficiency.
They make those by extracting chemicals from my brain, you know. You're welcome! ^_^
You're basically asking for a couple mini-reviews... How about, instead, you read reviews that are more in-depth, written with careful consideration after personally listening to the headphone? And, they're already written, basically alread answering your question! Sound's pretty helpful to your situation, right? Here's a link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-1-4-2015-beyerdynamic-t70-added/0_30#post_7208658

You're welcome!

ty for the reply my friend

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #28,398 of 48,579
Hi MLE and thanks for your guide!

After reading it I went and bought a Sound Blaster Z (All I had in my budget) and the AKG K701's. However, I'm a total novice and need spoon feeding how to set them up using Pro Studio or if I need to get any other software.

Not sure you have used the SB Z control panel, but if so can you let me know what settings perhaps?

SBX Pro Studio - Default?
Surround -  65
Crystalizer - 65
Bass - 50

Worth using Scout Mode in-game?

Speakers/Headphones - Headphones

Cinematic - What's the difference with no Encoder, DDL or DTS?

Mixer - Default

Equalizer - Off

Play stereo mix to digital output - Off

Thanks,
Guy

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #28,399 of 48,579
Hi Phukka; I have a SBZ and i will give you a hand here. Personally, i keep the surround and cystalizer at default settings, and turn the bass off. Bass my be nice for movies, but may make games with lots of explosions/war sounds too bassy. The preference is up to you. When a lot of people hear extra bass, we automatically think it sounds better. 

I do not use scout mode - i feel like it thins out sound too much. Using crystalizer for games should be sufficient. 
I do not use any cinematic features (I actually do not even have that in my control panel, in the latest driver/software version of SBZ/control panel)

Yes, SBX should be set to headphones when using them. Make should you click the windows speaker icon and go to playback devices, and under speakers/SBZ, configure windows for a 5.1 setup with full range speakers, for virtual surround to work correctly in gaming.

In games, always select 5.1 or surround sound for in game audio.

Play stereo mix is checked for me, but that is because i allow my SBZ to process virtual surround, then send that info through optical out to my Amp and DAC. If you are not using any external Amp/DAC, then you do not check this. 

When listening to music, i would configure windows to stereo, and disable SBX studio. For movies, its your choice, depending on what you like. Virtual surround is preferable to me. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #28,400 of 48,579
  Hi Phukka; I have a SBZ and i will give you a hand here. Personally, i keep the surround and cystalizer at default settings, and turn the bass off. Bass my be nice for movies, but may make games with lots of explosions/war sounds too bassy. The preference is up to you. When a lot of people hear extra bass, we automatically think it sounds better. 

I do not use scout mode - i feel like it thins out sound too much. Using crystalizer for games should be sufficient. 
I do not use any cinematic features (I actually do not even have that in my control panel, in the latest driver/software version of SBZ/control panel)

Yes, SBX should be set to headphones when using them. Make should you click the windows speaker icon and go to playback devices, and under speakers/SBZ, configure windows for a 5.1 setup with full range speakers, for virtual surround to work correctly in gaming.

In games, always select 5.1 or surround sound for in game audio.

Play stereo mix is checked for me, but that is because i allow my SBZ to process virtual surround, then send that info through optical out to my Amp and DAC. If you are not using any external Amp/DAC, then you do not check this. 

When listening to music, i would configure windows to stereo, and disable SBX studio. For movies, its your choice, depending on what you like. Virtual surround is preferable to me. 

I read that for gaming keep the Surround below 25% - As to why, I'm not sure. It's at 20% now and it's really clear in-game as to where footsteps are. I have unchecked Crystaliser and Bass, should I check them both and turn bass down to 10-20% perhaps?

I read on another thread, where I can't remember. It said for CS:GO to keep it at 5.1 in-game and to use "snd_legacy_surround 1" in an autoexec, whether that's working I've no clue.

I will try Scout Mode, but honestly, the headphones without sound amazing and I have only played a chaotic DM a few times. I hear WAY to many footsteps, explosions, gunfire, spawns that my head actually hurts! :D

Thanks for the help!

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #28,401 of 48,579

I read that for gaming keep the Surround below 25% - As to why, I'm not sure. It's at 20% now and it's really clear in-game as to where footsteps are. I have unchecked Crystaliser and Bass, should I check them both and turn bass down to 10-20% perhaps?

I read on another thread, where I can't remember. It said for CS:GO to keep it at 5.1 in-game and to use "snd_legacy_surround 1" in an autoexec, whether that's working I've no clue.

I will try Scout Mode, but honestly, the headphones without sound amazing and I have only played a chaotic DM a few times. I hear WAY to many footsteps, explosions, gunfire, spawns that my head actually hurts! :D

Thanks for the help!

Honestly, you should just experiment and see what works for you.  I tend to keep my surround at 67% and everything else off.  I have my music player set to use WASPI exclusive mode so it bypasses the surround processing (thus removing the need for me to change the settings constantly).

Play with the setting and see what YOU like.  If there were one "best" setting, they wouldn't include a way to change them.

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #28,402 of 48,579
Question.  I have yamaha receiver with dsp and ad700 so i get the surround sound.  If i were to purchase the Turtle Beach 800s, do i need a mix-amp or the turtle beach version, or will i get the surround wirelessly from the stand that hooks up optical from ps4, no other items needed?  Im deciding between getting the Audio Technica Gaming set and just going wired thru receiver or preferably the Turtle Beach and being wireless.

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #28,403 of 48,579
Question.  I have yamaha receiver with dsp and ad700 so i get the surround sound.  If i were to purchase the Turtle Beach 800s, do i need a mix-amp or the turtle beach version, or will i get the surround wirelessly from the stand that hooks up optical from ps4, no other items needed?  Im deciding between getting the Audio Technica Gaming set and just going wired thru receiver or preferably the Turtle Beach and being wireless.

Me and many other people would suggest you to not get any headphones made for gaming, get a good pair of headphones like the beyerdynamic DT 990 pro and a modmic and it will be much better. Surround sound makes games sound worse than normal, only way to get true 5.1 or 7.1 is by having sperate speakers dotted around your room. Idk if it will work with the ps4 or if it will it might need something alone side, you will have to look into that.

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #28,404 of 48,579

Me and many other people would suggest you to not get any headphones made for gaming, get a good pair of headphones like the beyerdynamic DT 990 pro and a modmic and it will be much better. Surround sound makes games sound worse than normal, only way to get true 5.1 or 7.1 is by having sperate speakers dotted around your room. Idk if it will work with the ps4 or if it will it might need something alone side, you will have to look into that.

What are You talking about? This entire thread is dedicated to virtual surround gaming and judging by the amount of replies it most certainly does not sound worse with virtual surround.

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #28,410 of 48,579

Your ad700 will sound better than any turtle beaches, if u do not like how they sound I'd recommend checking out some cans with a different sound signature. If u are happy with your silent cinema on your Yamaha, just by a syba USB adapter and a clip on mic. You will be all set for 20 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back