Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 13, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #28,382 of 48,579
  I'm curious if there are any worthwhile upgrades to the HD 555 for gaming around the $100-200 price range.

They really only stand out for music and are just nothing short of average when I watch videos or game with them, at least in my opinion.

If I could have that same music listening experience along with better sound for gaming, then that would be ideal.

If anyone has any recommendations, then that would be great. 

I've looked at the DT-990 Pro and am unsure about those. I also have a FiiO E07K amp/DAC that I drive the HD 555 with.

Still hasn't been responded to.

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #28,384 of 48,579
Quote:
  I'm curious if there are any worthwhile upgrades to the HD 555 for gaming around the $100-200 price range.

They really only stand out for music and are just nothing short of average when I watch videos or game with them, at least in my opinion.

If I could have that same music listening experience along with better sound for gaming, then that would be ideal.

If anyone has any recommendations, then that would be great. 

I've looked at the DT-990 Pro and am unsure about those. I also have a FiiO E07K amp/DAC that I drive the HD 555 with.

I had the 555 and it was DECENT for gaming. The stage was OK but it wasn't the best for imaging things on the map for me in my FPS games. The bass was lacking big time so I never became immersed in the game. 

I used the DT990 for about 7 months and it was excellent. The bass is perfect for FPS games and it did a great job of imaging things on the map for me through sound. They are the best I've heard in a gaming headphone so far. I sold them to recoup some of the money I spent on my T90, which is what I use for gaming now. I personally think the DT990 is even better for gaming than the T90.

EDIT: and this might sound a little odd after I said the DT990 is better for gaming, but I remember the highs of the 555 being very in your face compared to other headphones I've used. I don't know if it was just the frequencies of gun fires that were just emphasized by the 555 drivers or what the case was, but it always sounded like I was shooting my gun fight next to my ears. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #28,386 of 48,579
Hey, I was interested in buying the 880 premium's until I read your post. You say that the 5-7 oclock accuracy is bad? How bad? To the point where I shouldnt get them if I play CS:GO competitively?

Are there any other headphones not on this list that would go well with my modmic and sound blaster z combo?

Hi, I used to have the DT880 (600 ohm), from using it I'd wager that the rear "hole" is a result of the DT880 having such precise imaging, and here's why.

Most games these days have surround produced for home theaters. Think of a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup... The rear speakers are placed at about 5 and 7 0'clock, no rear center speaker. The DT880 makes that clear.

The DT880 are very comfortable and pretty headphones, I also found them a bit dry and the treble peak was more than my ears could listen to for the time lengths I tend to use headphones. YMMV.

ok but i play games like bf4 with a better sound system(i think)...i have read a lot of review and comparision but i have some question..between k612 and ad700x
1)which have better range of audio capture?
K612
2)which have better positional audio?
Both are God-Mode good, AD700x maybe 2% better but that advantage disappears when the K612 is fed good amping
3)which have better comfort?
Toss-up, both are very good, AD700x are lighter and feel amazing after you bend the top "arcs" and gumband the "wings" together, the K612 is still quite light and auto-adjust perfect, earcups are large enough that they don't touch your ears at all but the headband isn't cushioned (but very flexible).
4)which are better with soundblaster z soundcard?
Both are well suited.
in my country 
k612 is 135 euro

K612 is priced low compared to what you get and the rest of the market. The K612 should cost $200 US, the K701 and it's variants should cost $270, so IMO anything less is a bargain and competes favorably against similarly priced alternatives.
You're basically asking for a couple mini-reviews... How about, instead, you read reviews that are more in-depth, written with careful consideration after personally listening to the headphone? And, they're already written, basically alread answering your question! Sound's pretty helpful to your situation, right? Here's a link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-1-4-2015-beyerdynamic-t70-added/0_30#post_7208658

If you want anyone to provide more service for you, you should pay us for our efforts and expenses doing research for you :wink:

Sennheiser HD 700 vs fidelio x2 vs DT 990, for competitive yet immersive gaming. I have till Thursday to make a decision. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Crazy that HD700 prices have fallen so low that they're in the same price bracket as those others. If the HD700 is close to the sound signature that appeals to you, then it's the obvious choice among those others on grounds of sheer proficiency.

I feel like you took those a loooooooong time ago, my friend.

They make those by extracting chemicals from my brain, you know. You're welcome! ^_^

Still hasn't been responded to.

You're basically asking for a couple mini-reviews... How about, instead, you read reviews that are more in-depth, written with careful consideration after personally listening to the headphone? And, they're already written, basically alread answering your question! Sound's pretty helpful to your situation, right? Here's a link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-1-4-2015-beyerdynamic-t70-added/0_30#post_7208658

You're welcome!

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #28,387 of 48,579

It doesn't have to be directly compared to.

I'm just looking for recommendations that provide the experience I'm looking for.

I found the DT990 treble to be painfully bright.  I'd just get a K612 and call it a day.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #28,389 of 48,579
Lol Evshrug's, you should put yourself on repeat for situations like the ones given in your post.

You're basically asking for a couple mini-reviews... How about, instead, you read reviews that are more in-depth, written with careful consideration after personally listening to the headphone? And, they're already written, basically alread answering your question! Sound's pretty helpful to your situation, right? Here's a link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-1-4-2015-beyerdynamic-t70-added/0_30#post_7208658

(LOL)
[Video]http://youtu.be/nn2FB1P_Mn8[/Video]

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #28,390 of 48,579

(LOL)

etysmile.gif

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #28,393 of 48,579
Today I used my Astro Mixamp 2014 + Schiit Magni 2 Uber + AKG K7XX for the first time with my modmic 4.0. This is on the Xbox One. I kept getting a crackle/pop sound when people would start speaking, both in game chat and party chat. Very annoying. I initially had the mixamp at 3/4 volume and game/chat balance on the mixamp at 1-2 o'clock. The overall volume was low-to-mid. Decreasing the master volume on the mixamp to 1/2 volume and increasing the volume on the Magni 2 Uber seemed to help, but the crackle/pop was still present. 

Overall the game sound wasn't that pleasant when chat was mixed in. When I was using the K7XX w/o the modmic I plugged the Monoprice 1.5ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male cable directly into the mixamp w/o the y-adapter. Game sound was much better and I didn't to deal with chat crackle/pop.

Any idea what's causing the crackle/pop noise?

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #28,394 of 48,579
  Today I used my Astro Mixamp 2014 + Schiit Magni 2 Uber + AKG K7XX for the first time with my modmic 4.0. This is on the Xbox One. I kept getting a crackle/pop sound when people would start speaking, both in game chat and party chat. Very annoying. I initially had the mixamp at 3/4 volume and game/chat balance on the mixamp at 1-2 o'clock. The overall volume was low-to-mid. Decreasing the master volume on the mixamp to 1/2 volume and increasing the volume on the Magni 2 Uber seemed to help, but the crackle/pop was still present. 

Overall the game sound wasn't that pleasant when chat was mixed in. When I was using the K7XX w/o the modmic I plugged the Monoprice 1.5ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male cable directly into the mixamp w/o the y-adapter. Game sound was much better and I didn't to deal with chat crackle/pop.

Any idea what's causing the crackle/pop noise?

Have you updated the firmware on the Mixamp?  The chat crackle was a fairly high-profile problem when the Xbone was first released and Astro fixed it with a firmware update.

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #28,395 of 48,579
I bought the mixamp 2014 about a month ago. I updated the firmware straight away.

I was hoping that getting new headphones and an amp would be an easy transition. I wasn't expecting the crackling, popping static. I will be going back and forth between my old setup (mixamp 2014 + AD700 + modmic 4.0) and new setup (mixamp 2014 + Magni 2 Uber + K7XX + modmic 4.0) to see if the issue is present with both. I tried briefly with the old setup and didn't notice it, but I wasn't really focused because I was immersed in gameplay. If it was there in the old setup I didn't notice it. Maybe the new setup, with the more revealing K7XX and more amping, is making it stand out. I dont' know. 

Hopefully with troubleshooting on my end and help here I can get it sorted. Thanks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back