Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 13, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #28,351 of 48,568
Depends what you using it for and if you want a tube or a solid if you want a solid get the modi 2 uber which is a upgraded version of modi 2 but I think you need to fit it yourself. So you will probably need someone who has experience with taking amps apart.

FYI the Magni is an amp, Vali is an amp, and Modi is a DAC.

So amps can be designed for many different attributes, but tube amps generally are known for having a less edgy, fatiguing presentation than solid-state amps, and they also tend to enhance the sensation of soundstage a little bit. Both are very good gaming qualities. The midrange is also generally perceived as a bit thicker and more present. The Vali in particular doesn't have amazing soundstage properties but the Vali is the warmer/less hard option from Schiit while the Magni is a little more dry sounding and a bit more bite, both are pretty close to eachother and pretty neutral, and Schiit is hardly the only amping option.

I personally went with a DIY tube amp (which I had someone else do for me), ymmv.

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #28,352 of 48,568
Hey, I was interested in buying the 880 premium's until I read your post. You say that the 5-7 oclock accuracy is bad? How bad? To the point where I shouldnt get them if I play CS:GO competitively?

Are there any other headphones not on this list that would go well with my modmic and sound blaster z combo?

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #28,353 of 48,568
  I have recently returned my Sennheiser G4me One and Astro Mixamp because I was just not satisfied with the quality of either. I tried hooking up the headset to a Schiit Magni and still was not impressed. I want a cinematic experience and honestly the Surround Sound I was not impressed with. The G4me One was not impressive at all, it just seemed extremely flat and I dont see how it gave me any better directional accuracy when hooked to the Mixamp. I want something that will give me a real cinematic experience that when I hear it will drop my Jaw.

I am not incredibly into competitive first person shooters, I mostly play Destiny ATM. What is out there that actually has some bass and still offers the detail I require for directional accuracy. Like I said previously, I really dont care about surround sound as it has never really impressed me at all. Although I was looking at getting the TB Elite 800 and yes I know everyone here hates gaming headsets but I need something with Mic Monitoring.

Any direction would be appreciated!

I have the Game One and feel the same with you regarding the mixamp and a cinematic experience. Also, the mixamp rolls off the bass which was sounding distorted to me with the game one and shows like Game of Thrones. I recently bought a Philips X2 and plug it directly into my Yamaha receiver, which provides a simulated surround sound call Silent Cinema. It is a nice affect (not as good as dolby headphone) and good enough for me for movies and cinematic games. The X2, however, is exactly what I needed. Rumbles, explosions, completely emersive for both gaming and movies (out of the mixamp as well when I want to chat). Highly recommend buying the X2 if you want an emersive cinematic experience. YMMV.

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #28,354 of 48,568
Everyone knows The HD598/G4ME One weren't meant to be an immersive or cinematic headphone/headset. If you want that cinematic feel and that punchy bass while still being able to pinpoint sounds around you, I would say X1/X2 is the headphone. Also, you need to set up the games audio properly when using a Mixamp or any other device you are using.

I use to game in BFn with Headphone surround, which worked but did sounded muddy and stuff. Now I have it set using Home cinema and surround option. This is while using my PC and SB Z though.

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #28,355 of 48,568
Obviously everyone does NOT know.  Don't be a dick.

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #28,357 of 48,568
Everyone knows the HD598/G4ME One weren't meant to be an immersive or cinematic headphone/headset. 

Are You sure You're talking about the HD598s?

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #28,358 of 48,568

I'm sure you'll be happy with either.  The AT should be better for pure competitive gaming and the AKG should be better for just about everything else.  But if you will literally use them for nothing other than competitive gaming, get the AT.

u think is better then k612 for gaming?i have foun k612 at 100 euro and ad700x at 150 euro...i need to take one decision...monmey isn t problem because if i need to buy i wanna buy 1 times nad worth ^^...how much ad700x is better in positional audio and soundstage? and how much lose in quality audio?

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #28,359 of 48,568
I mean, the SB Z DAC is pretty good and you'd see better returns putting the budget solely towards as best an amp you can afford. I got a tube amp which I like, but people commonly recommend things from M-Stage, iCan, Audio GD, Schiit, and Garage1217. Fans of each of those producers are easily found throughout HeadFi.
CS:GO has unrelentingly sharp treble "crack!" sounds from gunfire, the K612 ought to be less fatiguing (and my overall better recommendation), though the ATH-AD700x has a bit more sense of "Air" and soundstage (both have stronger than average soundstage) and might be good with a bit of EQ reducing the treble.

The other thing about CS:GO is that it's not the most prime example of a game that gives a holographic sense of where exactly people are when you can't see them... and firing your own gun wipes out any small awareness cues. Don't spend too much on headohones for CS:GO, it doesn't take much to hit the audio ceiling of what the game has to offer.

ok but i play games like bf4 with a better sound system(i think)...i have read a lot of review and comparision but i have some question..between k612 and ad700x
1)which have better range of audio capture?
2)which have better positional audio?
3)which have better comfort?
4)which are better with soundblaster z soundcard?
in my country 
k612 is 135 euro 
ad700x 150 euro
i have found used k612 for 100 euro

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #28,360 of 48,568
Sennheiser HD 700 vs fidelio x2 vs DT 990, for competitive yet immersive gaming. I have till Thursday to make a decision. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #28,361 of 48,568
Sennheiser HD 700 vs fidelio x2 vs DT 990, for competitive yet immersive gaming. I have till Thursday to make a decision. Any and all help would be appreciated.

I don't know much about the hd700 for gaming, but both dt990 and x2 are very solid. I think most people on this forum will tell u the x2 is the winner. I have the dt990s and enjoy them very much. There is a detailed review on the first page. If money is a concern I'm guessing u can find the beyers cheapest of the three.

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #28,362 of 48,568
I don't know much about the hd700 for gaming, but both dt990 and x2 are very solid. I think most people on this forum will tell u the x2 is the winner. I have the dt990s and enjoy them very much. There is a detailed review on the first page. If money is a concern I'm guessing u can find the beyers cheapest of the three.

Money is not my concern, having the best is my concern. Oddly enough the dt990's went up $30 since yesterday on Amazon. Wonder why?

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #28,363 of 48,568
  Obviously everyone does NOT know.  Don't be a dick.

Whoops sorry, I didnt want to mean it like that. I actually wrote those two words in a message to a friend. Thats what happens when you have that messenger with its pop up heads. Sigh. Sorry about that.

I should disable that feature now.

Was typing it on my phone, so yeah, thats why :/

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #28,365 of 48,568

I have the DT990's and the X2, and I find the X2 superior in every way. After using the X2's nearly every night since the end of November, I can definitively say that it was the right upgrade for me. I don't think the DT990 is a bad headphone, but I just don't find the sound signature nearly as appealing as the X2.

As far as competitive gaming, the X2 does a good job but the Sennheiser HD598's provide better positioning. 

Here is a very quick and inprecise break down [Note: more > represents a larger degree of discrepancy between the two]
Fun Factor: X2 >>> DT990 > HD598 
Positioning: HD598 > X2 >> DT990
Comfort: HD598 > DT990 > X2

Unfortunately, I don't have the HD 700 so I can't provide a lot of feedback on those. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back