Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 23, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #47,838 of 48,583
I think the K612 is for those that prefer a more neutral tonal balance with deep extension. Like it's quite accurate sounding with some brightness up top.

The K712 has a warmer sound, with more midbass punch, and bigger soundstage. Sub bass doesn't extend as well as the K612 Pro.

I think the 612 Pro is massively underrated, and would be an ideal candidate for competitive gaming. The K712 is not as well balanced, but sounds higher fidelity, as the 612 distorts a bit in busy sound passages. It's high detail but the drivers get a bit overworked. At least that's how it sounded to me way back when.

If I had to choose between, them, the K712 would be it. The K612 is also higher in impedance so would be a little more finicky with amplification.

I still think the K702 65th Anniversary is my fave though. It controls its upper midrange peak better than the K712 which is a bit sizzly, despite it being warm. But I could live with either.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #47,839 of 48,583
I think the K612 is for those that prefer a more neutral tonal balance with deep extension. Like it's quite accurate sounding with some brightness up top.

The K712 has a warmer sound, with more midbass punch, and bigger soundstage. Sub bass doesn't extend as well as the K612 Pro.

I think the 612 Pro is massively underrated, and would be an ideal candidate for competitive gaming. The K712 is not as well balanced, but sounds higher fidelity, as the 612 distorts a bit in busy sound passages. It's high detail but the drivers get a bit overworked. At least that's how it sounded to me way back when.

If I had to choose between, them, the K712 would be it. The K612 is also higher in impedance so would be a little more finicky with amplification.

I still think the K702 65th Anniversary is my fave though. It controls its upper midrange peak better than the K712 which is a bit sizzly, despite it being warm. But I could live with either.
Thank you!! That's very helpful. It was your original writeup on the K712 that really got me interested in hearing it. After hearing the MC-450s I found that I really enjoy a clear, detailed, crisp sound. Of course for gaming - which, at this point, any of my headphones will be used for - I know I want a big soundstage. From what you're saying we'll see if I like the warm sound of the K712's; it also sounds like they might be the better gaming headphones.

I've read quite a bit on the K702 65th edition and unfortunately they're quite hard to find, not to mention much more expensive. Just about everything I read about them says they're worth it, though.

Feb 23, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #47,840 of 48,583

Could this observation on the k712 be a ‘lesser broken in driver’?
I find that ‘the larger driver headphones’ take longer to break in and the sound change would be appropriate to what you have listed…
(large drivers and TOUGH composites materials- the other ‘long break in was some Ultrasone edition 5s that took well over a thousand hours before their ridiculous treble peak subsided)(none of that time ‘on my head’, but even a room away it was painful.. (titanium foil took a long time even though only 40mm size))
The 70mm AKGs are know to take one of the longest breakin times around…

Some k612s I have are brilliant and I have never heard them ’break up’ /distort, including running them at 100% output from a Burson Conductor V2 when playing Returnal for hours…
the conductor V2 has a lot of output power, and I find their ability to drink it all up is silly.
I truly believe that these ‘phones benefit from some crazy good amplification power….

Feb 23, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #47,841 of 48,583
I'm the wrong guy to ask about breaking in. I'll leave that debate to someone else on another thread. Not here. That argument is not one I'm in the mood to have.

The K612 was a loaner from a friend who had used it for some time.

The K712 Pro... I forget, I may have purchased those.

I do think the K612 Pro is fantastic, and whatever distortion I had was not something noticeable with regular use. It was something In could hear under close scrutiny, and is not something I would call a drawback or worry.

The Fidelio X1/X2 is another headphone that can distort under close scrutiny, and is not something I'd ever stell people to worry about under normal listening.

I STILL want an X2 for myself, today.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #47,842 of 48,583
Redscape 1.4.1 Released

Version 1.4.1

General
  • Head Tracker firmware has been updated. Tracking is more efficient and stable.
  • Lowered CPU usage of Head Tracker window.
  • LFE channel is now low-passed at 300 Hz.

EQ
  • The equalizer now has a gain slider on the right side of the graph.

Settings Menu
  • Added Surround Channels -3 dB in Downmix option. When enabled and the 3D effect is turned off, surround channel's contribution to the downmix will be lowered 3 dB.
  • Added Always Show In Taskbar option. This will keep Redscape visible in the taskbar even when minimized.
  • Added Toggle EQ When Power Is Toggled option. This will toggle the EQ on/off when the 3D effect is turned on/off.
  • Output Format now defaults to Shared mode when using WASAPI.
  • Added a warning on Audio I/O tab that will display if Redscape is not the default audio device.
  • Added a warning on Audio I/O tab that will display if Redscape is attempting to output to the current default audio device (selected in the Windows control panel.)
  • Power On/Off volumes match more closely.
  • Rebalanced channel levels and added channel level sliders on the Speakers tab.

Fixes
  • Only list WASAPI render devices. Prior to this change, capture devices would also be listed.
  • WASAPI fix for some audio devices that use 24 bit data wrapped in 32 bits.
  • Fixed a bug that could incorrectly cause the following message to display: "Buffer underrun. Try increasing the Buffer size in the Settings menu."
  • Fixed a bug that would mute channels if speaker levels were modified in the Settings menu.

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #47,843 of 48,583
Redscape 1.4.1 Released
Are you getting emails to notify you of new versions? (or do you check the website everyday?!)
I bought it, but never get emails notifying me of new releases...

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #47,845 of 48,583
Any one of you guys gonna be in NYC this weekend? Visit me at the CanJam Audeze booth!

Feb 24, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #47,846 of 48,583
Feb 24, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #47,848 of 48,583
Does anyone know of a similar event in the Seattle area or even a store with a good selection of higher-end headphones? I hate having to order them just to hear what they sound like and I know it isn't fair to online retailers if I return them. I unfortunately don't feel like I have a good alternative.

On the flipside I can appreciate why this is so hard for retailers. Stocking expensive, arguably niche products is probably rather unappealing to them.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #47,849 of 48,583
That feeling when you forget the damn usb to 3.5mm dongle, so everything you downloaded on the phone to watch on the flight is.... Well you can't.

Screw whomever decided to eliminate headphone jacks... you suck.

😫😭

Edit: Oh wait I brought the Penrose. SAVED. It's been in the bag for days. 😱

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #47,850 of 48,583
Huh so apparently AKG takes "detachable cable" to a whole new level. I barely exerted any force when trying to detach the stock cable and the whole connector came out. I wrote to Thomann Music inquiring about an exchange. Worst of all I haven't tried listening to them as I don't want to touch this any more than necessary until we can figure out how we're going to resolve the problem. Its going to be interesting, though, as these were shipped internationally from Germany.

PXL_20220225_184147145.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back