Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 14, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #47,807 of 48,568
Just want to say this forum post was the start of a lifeline audiophile obsession. Who knew buying Phillips Fidelio x1s and reading all of this post would result in spending thousands on thousands of dollars and many years of listening trying to achieve the perfect system. lol
Ironically, I'd love to have a pair of X1s, if they were still around. They had ear tickling bass, which is a rarity. Definitely not as good as the X2s, but bassheads would likely prefer them.

Feb 14, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #47,808 of 48,568
OK @Chastity I talked myself into going for the M300; it'll make upgrading to a balanced amp much easier later on and it's a nice unit otherwise. The E30 and Atom+ do look quite attractive still but it's that balanced output that I think really got me. One question I did have: Headphonia's review characterized the M300 mkii soundstage as "wide but not very deep". Any thoughts there? I'm guessing that it's not a very big deal if true.
Isn't that also an issue with what headphones you test with? I also find I gain more frontal depth when paired with my tube preamp.

A colleague here has my DAC, and switched to a Gustard X16, and he seems to prefer it. But it's twice the price.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #47,811 of 48,568
Ironically, I'd love to have a pair of X1s, if they were still around. They had ear tickling bass, which is a rarity. Definitely not as good as the X2s, but bassheads would likely prefer them.
I sold mine on my crazy upgrade quest otherwise I'd offer to ship them to you for free... Somehow ended up with a chord hugo tt2 and sennheiser HD800s for gaming Focal Utopia for music enjoyment. I went well off the deep end lol. Hugo TT2 did add some bass authority to the HD800s but nothing will ever hit the openback bass sound for a dynamic driver like that original X1. Albeit at the lack of some dynamics and clarity that other offerings have.

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #47,812 of 48,568
I sold mine on my crazy upgrade quest otherwise I'd offer to ship them to you for free... Somehow ended up with a chord hugo tt2 and sennheiser HD800s for gaming Focal Utopia for music enjoyment. I went well off the deep end lol. Hugo TT2 did add some bass authority to the HD800s but nothing will ever hit the openback bass sound for a dynamic driver like that original X1. Albeit at the lack of some dynamics and clarity that other offerings have.
My bad, I made it sound like I wanted your pair. I mean it's definitely rare for anyone to keep the headphones that started their journey, lol.

I really meant, that I wish it was still sold today. Though it's a totally different Philips now.

I would like to have a pair of X2HRs though. I should consider getting one. Maybe even doing a review of it. It's been a long time since my original X2/28 review.

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #47,813 of 48,568
XMy bad, I made it sound like I wanted your pair. I mean it's definitely rare for anyone to keep the headphones that started their journey, lol.

I really meant, that I wish it was still sold today. Though it's a totally different Philips now.

I would like to have a pair of X2HRs though. I should consider getting one. Maybe even doing a review of it. It's been a long time since my original X2/28 review.
Its too true that most of us don't have our original cans that broke us into the hobby. Although I have had my HD800s for gaming for a long long time now. Not sure anything will ever dethrone them but I'll keep an eye on your recommendations just in case.

I am sure though a lot of people would love some updated perspective on some of your classic choices on this list. I'd tune in for that!

Feb 15, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #47,814 of 48,568
My bad, I made it sound like I wanted your pair. I mean it's definitely rare for anyone to keep the headphones that started their journey, lol.

I still own all my headphones that I started this journey with. I love comparing them to each other at times.

Sennheiser HD-580 Precisions
Sony MDR-SA5000
V-Moda Crossfade LP (for ipod)
Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro
Monolith M1070
Monolith M1570

Also, still have my Headroom Supreme portable amp :D

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #47,815 of 48,568
Another issue is knowing what filter he tested with. They DO impact the sound. I prefer the "Natural" Filter 5 (Super Slow). It just sounds the most proper to my ears.
So I had another thought last night after reading some of your responses to others in this thread: another way I could play this would be to get a good amp (Asgard, most likely, at that price) and any old DAC, probably a JDS Atom for the price) then upgrade the DAC later. That would equate to about the same amount of money as the setup I'm currently considering (M300 mkii + Magni) and, truth be told, the more I consider it the more I really like the idea.

But is there really going to be much difference going that route as opposed to another? Or at this point am I splitting hairs?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #47,816 of 48,568
So I had another thought last night after reading some of your responses to others in this thread: another way I could play this would be to get a good amp (Asgard, most likely, at that price) and any old DAC, probably a JDS Atom for the price) then upgrade the DAC later. That would equate to about the same amount of money as the setup I'm currently considering (M300 mkii + Magni) and, truth be told, the more I consider it the more I really like the idea.

But is there really going to be much difference going that route as opposed to another? Or at this point am I splitting hairs?
I'd never dissuade anyone from getting an Asgard 3. :) But I thought you were planning to go Balanced at some point. The A3 has a lot of power, enough for anything other than the most power-hungry (HE6se v2 or Susvara, or Ribbon drivers) and is built better than the Magni.

You could do an Asgard 3 ($249) and a Modi 3E ($129) with it's ESS DAC, or if feeling adventurous Modi MB ($249).

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #47,817 of 48,568
I'd never dissuade anyone from getting an Asgard 3. :) But I thought you were planning to go Balanced at some point. The A3 has a lot of power, enough for anything other than the most power-hungry (HE6se v2 or Susvara, or Ribbon drivers) and is built better than the Magni.

You could do an Asgard 3 ($249) and a Modi 3E ($129) with it's ESS DAC, or if feeling adventurous Modi MB ($249).
I'd love to go with a Modi but all of its flavors are still super-backordered, unfortunately; that's why I'm considering shifting to the Atom DAC which, from what I've read, is pretty darn good. I wouldn't mind the Topping E30 instead but it's $40 more than the Atom. From what I'm reading it sounds like the Atom and the Modi 3E are also relatively equivalent in terms of sound quality.

I would like to go balanced at some point in the future but that can wait. The overall investment is significant in terms of gear, it looks like: more-expensive DAC, more-expensive amp, specialty cables for whatever headphones you're going to take advantage with. I also would love to just go straight to the Jotunheim but I can't justify the additional $150 as I still need a DAC.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #47,818 of 48,568
I think Asgard 3 might be my fave amp to date. I just wish it was balanced. I prefer the sound to my Jotunheim 2, though the Jot 2 is technically superior in more ways than one.

But sound preferences is important, and I love the Asgard's character.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #47,819 of 48,568
I think Asgard 3 might be my fave amp to date. I just wish it was balanced. I prefer the sound to my Jotunheim 2, though the Jot 2 is technically superior in more ways than one.

But sound preferences is important, and I love the Asgard's character.
Thanks! Very much appreciate the vote of confidence.

Now if only Schiit's site wouldn't have crapped out on me.

1644953070064.png

Feb 15, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #47,820 of 48,568
Thanks! Very much appreciate the vote of confidence.

Now if only Schiit's site wouldn't have crapped out on me.

1644953070064.png
Yeah I think you'll be happy. I am REALLY mad at myself for returning it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back