Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 11, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #35,326 of 48,578
It's more of the same as the rest of the AKG 700 series so I doubt it. I'd rather see him review a <$100 budget headphone like the new HE-350 or 9500.

It was a joke because clearly the first page has enough hints about how good a 712 can be for gaming and I meant the K7XX series not the Massdrop release. Now I explained my joke and realize it never worked. 
frown.gif

May 11, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #35,328 of 48,578
  What has been your choice to improve K712?

I guess it's the HD 800. And it's a natural choice. Soundstage, imaging, detail, hard tight bass, albeit with the curse of a good chain. 

May 11, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #35,330 of 48,578
Not for 700 bucks, although it'd be awesome if he managed to grabe one at that price. 

May 11, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #35,331 of 48,578
IIRC there was a crazy deal on a regular HD800 awhile back and Evs bought them.

May 11, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #35,332 of 48,578
Why Fedex is the best company in the world.

A month ago I ordered the SRH1840 and delivery was supposed to go via Fedex. You can find my full rants by searching this thread by the keyword "Fedex". In short: it took them four days to deliver the package even though the store I bought the headphones from is also located in Warsaw. Fedex was trying to deliver the package at around 1pm even though most adult people are at work around 1pm. I had to file a formal complaint with them, they accepted it and finally after a week I got my headphones. So, why am I telling you about this now?

I just received a formal apology letter from Fedex. It was delivered by a courier. Around 1pm.

May 11, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #35,333 of 48,578
I tried some refurb HD700, they were a bit better in some ways (thicker midbass and a bit more musical) but the K712 still did treble better and was clearer/more detailed throughout, and I had an easier sense of imaging and surround processing. It was heavier too, in the end it didn't justify the price increase (even though I got them at an INSANE price!)

Before that I tried HE-400, that was more of a fun can but the mids were too sucked out for me, and it was too heavy. MLE's velour pads and my tube amp did help, but it just wasn't for me.

The Oppo PM-3 was more detailed/crisper than the K712 sometimes, but I felt the bass was lacking deep extension and it would only have been a secondary headphone for me.

Right now, Stillhart loaned me his HE-560. I had some difficulty giving it a fair test as you'll read below, but based on my head-time so far I think it's also a strong contender for a post-K712 upgrade.

It's lighter than the HE-400, the new headbands are simple but comfortable, the earpads are leather-sided but velour where it touches the side of your head. It's decent velour, though the pads aren't brand new and I can tell that my picky skin would be more comfortable if I shaved off my sideburns (and chinstrap). It's quite detailed and clear, becoming noticably more rich with my R2R DAC (a vintage Theta), with great vocals, separation, and probably my favourite part is the enhanced sub bass when a song calls for it or gets down with the funky. I've only listened for two/three days but I can tell it's a worthwhile/natural upgrade to the K712. ThurstonX went the same way after his Q701, and I bet Chicolom here would like it, but my friend I call "Tin Ears" will have to hear it to decide... the HE560 is an upgrade of the familiar AKG sound, but Tin Ears may prefer a more gooey warm sound that is different, like a ZMF Vibro MKII or LCD2, but then again he's less of a gamer and more into music.

The ZMF Vibro MKII was also great, taking the musical parts I liked best about the HD700 and doing it better and more clearly, with less brittle treble to boot. For a musical headphone, the imaging and clarity is very good. It's a bit heavier and doesn't have the soundstage of the AKGs, so not best in class for competitive gaming or marathon sessions sitting upright, but it is awesome for just jamming out to music or marathon sessions reclining on a couch. I also recently reviewed this headphone. I'll probably get one someday (with a burst finish on the wood cups!) as a secondary headphone for jamming out, it's pretty special.

The Oppo PM-2 was REALLY CLOSE for me! Thus the review (linked in signature). Nice bass extension, similar fundamentals as the AKG, had a very balanced signature with a touch less treble that I could listen to for hours and hours, and the super comfy velours really helped that. The sound had no gimmicks (except crisp response? Some people call this speed) to immediately grab your attention, no guilty pleasures, but it did please and I found myself almost always reaching for it and trying to take it with me to work to listen on my lunch break. Great imaging and sense of depth, even though the soundstage width wasn't as wide as the AKGs (few things are, like yo mamma! I'm kidding. Is she baking cookies soon?). The more transparent the DAC and amp, the better, but the PM-2 was amazingly easy to drive and sounded great from my iPhone, no Zeus-amps required. As a "next step," it was a toss-up for me between the PM-2 and HE-560, with the PM-2 more relaxed and the HE-560 more open. Why didn't I buy one after my time during the Oppo tour was up? Uh, well, I didn't have a lot of cash and my wedding planning was looking to be a lot more expensive, so I was waiting to catch an Oppo refurb, and I just never saw one in stock. The other reason was...

... I heard a Mr Speakers Ether and Ether C at RMAF 2015. Ooooooh my gosh. Gushing praise. Liked the weight, loved the headband and fit, surprisingly liked the leather (lambskin?) pads for hours.

I got to hear AxelCloris' Ether in a hotel room (I hope I didn't moan... too much), and I say hours because I listened to a bunch of Ethers on different rigs. Very musical headphone while also very detailed and distortion crushed down to imperceptible. I decided then that I was going to try to not mess around with other headphones and just save up for the open Ether, because of every headphone there and I'd ever heard, I decided it was my favorite. $1,400 didn't matter, I would save as long as it took to make that happen.

Boom.

... Life is funny though. RMAF was ALSO my first time hearing the HD800. Previously, I had been a bit "scared" because people said it was super amp and system picky, and they were forever chasing ways to get more bass and less treble out of it. After my DT880 experience, I was wary of any headphone people call too bright (funny since I had an ATH-AD700 for so long), and I had been so unimpressed with the HD700 the year before (based on Sennheiser's asking price... and IMO outperformed by the PM-2) that maybe Sennheiser as a brand was overrated.

Stillhart was lending Cavalli his DAC-19, and before the show started he had an A&K DAP (or a laptop) digitally supplying music to the DAC-19, a Cavalli Liquid Carbon (prototype), a $400 headphone cable (awesome red color, lol!), aaaand an HD800. Friends, the headphone is so big, that it's funny. Earpads are covered in that same microfibre cloth as the HD700 which feel a bit weird at first (and kinda oily on the refurb HD700, but not at RMAF), but they go completely around the ear and have nice distribution of pressure on the head, which balances with the headband distribution. The headband also has a notch taken out of the top center, which is appreciated to prevent a hotspot on the crest of my head.

"Dan, what should I listen to?"
"Uuuuh, anything? Here, try this:"

Awaak Awaaak! Paul Simon's "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes" burst forth and just shot shivers down my spine. One of two times that happened during RMAF. My fiancé laughed because my jaw just dropped! The bass, mids, so full and engaging, the treble was clean and extended. I had no neutrality boredom or sense of coldness, instead the (African?) backing vocals just sounded so rich and big, the guitar was so fun and detailed, brass trumpets were a joy, and the sound was so transparent like as if each instrument had it's own speaker (or simply was just an instrument). I had a huge conflict because I wanted to keep listening, but I took it off to make my fiancé listen because I thought it was so impressive and she would be able to see why I was audio enthusiastic (and stunned).

I tried the Ether for the first time right after that, with the same 3 songs I'd just demo'd on the HD800. My... earga... Uh, sexual innuendos aside, I was still riding the high from the HD800 and the Ether was equally musical (but no new shivers, because... yeah it probably would have if I'd listened to the Ether first, get me?), but side by side the Ether seemed to have less "air" or light haze between the instruments and my ear. The HD800 was incredibly clear and natural, but the Ether was just slightly more clear. I couldn't really identify why, but it also had something else different about it that made it my preference by a hair. At $1400 each, new, at the time, the Ether was my choice.

Outside that room, in the moderately noisy hubbub of the RMAF convention floor, it was cool to see the community headphone Ether popping up at the Schiit, Cavalli, and Creative Labs booths to use with their gear, but the HD800 (and HE1000) were EVERYWHERE a vendor had high-end amps and DACs for sale. Questyle proudly pointed out an advanced amp that was designed off of listening to the HD800 and perfecting it's sound, ALO audio talked about how their huge (studio six?) tubed amp
had power that was waaaay overkill but that kind of headroom was needed to unlock the HD800 and prevent the harshness they also saw in some people's HD800 reviews (I immediately thought of the current-mode amp and R2R DAC I'd heard in Stillhart's hotel room, maybe that was a little exotic but it sure seemed to also solve any treble "problems"), Moon Audio had a lot of cables to compare to the stock Sennheiser cable. Even after, what, 4 years? 8? The HD800 is a summit-fi headphone, clearly respected (except by some with old ones with a shocking amount of paint chips and ribbing, how do you treat a headphone that way?)

LOL, look at these accessory cables that were at the Questyle booth:

Headphone dreadlocks!

Aaaanyway, RMAF was super fun, but back home I had actually downsized to an AKG K612 because I felt it was a little more even than the K712 if amped decently (kinda like HD600 vs HD650), and the wedding looking like it was going to cost as much as a new car. I HAD ordered a Cavalli Liquid Carbon on last year's tax refund (and put the other half in savings) and that finally arrived in November, but otherwise I went back to enjoying my Mid-Fi values until "someday." Well, I got my tax-refund April, my wedding now looks like we'll hit a $7k-$8k budget, and suddenly the HD800 "s" hits and people start posting about fantastic used prices on the original HD800 on Amazon. I looked it up and saw one priced even lower – $812 shipped!! Whaaaat?! Jumped on that like a kitten pouncing on a laser dot. I'm still surprised to think I actually CAUGHT it. $812 is WRONG, just WRONG, and I feel so lucky. In my home, I appreciate it even more. The driver is so Big and Powerful that air actually tickles the surface of my ear (in a good way), and I get chills anytime I want to, and it sounds great with any song I feel like trying. Too bad it looks like literally strapping two speakers to the side of your head, because they sound awesome.
Stillhart loaned me his HE-560, and I found I actually had to put the HD800 in the box and put it out of sight so I could give the HE-560 a fair listen, haha!

May 11, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #35,334 of 48,578
Thank you so much for your opinions

I had on my list to open the K7xx, K712, HE-400i, HE-560 and closed Ether C.

Ether C for now not come into my budget so that eventually buy a TH-X00 with that for now I'm very happy. The open/close are mostly for games and movies, to music I use at work a FLC8s.

I'll have to add to the list the HD800

May 11, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #35,335 of 48,578
^thanks for the encouragement, it was kinda fun! Took me like 3 and a half hours to type into my phone though, hahaha!

Gotta point out, I haven't heard the HE-400i, just the HE400. Well, I mean, I heard the HE400i at RMAF, but not very long (the HE1000 and Edition X were right next to it!), so I don't remember much about it other than it had the same cool smoke-chrome color as the Edition X and an Apple Mac Pro.

May 11, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #35,336 of 48,578
Wonderful writeup, really enjoyed that one.

And the photos. Oh man, these will be great replacements for the Typical Headfier Andy template

See the potential here?

May 11, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #35,337 of 48,578
Do the one with the Dreadcables!

Some people commented that they liked how I included a pic of me wearing the PM-2 in that review, so I decided to take a pic wearing each headphone I may review from now on. Also, Stillhart used to send me pics wearing exotic headphones from CanJams, with smug expressions. They were hilarious (and invited jealousy), so I tried doing that with the HE-560. HD800 pics look epic no matter what you do, haha!

May 11, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #35,338 of 48,578
Nice write-up, Evs.  I would like to point out that I had the same "wow" moment listening to the HD800 at RMAF with you.  I'd listened to it a few times and never understood the appeal until that day.  I ended up getting one as an upgrade from my HE-560 not too much later.  The only reason I'd recommend an HE-560 over an HD800 at this point is if your source chain isn't up to the HD800's rigorous requirements.

I've heard many high end headphones on high end rigs since then and I still come back to the HD800.  There's going to be an event this weekend here in SoCal where people will get to demo the HD800 and HD800S on flagship gear (including the Cavalli Liquid Tungsten prototype... drooool!!) and decide which they like better.  (Link here.)  Should be fun if anyone reading this is considering the HD800 but wants to hear what all the hype is about.

May 11, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #35,339 of 48,578
That was indeed an enjoyable RMAF. Hoping to see folks there again this year!

I have to say my HD 800 "wow moment" first happened when I listened to is on the DNA Stratus and then again more recently when I got the chance to hear it on an early prototype of the Liquid Tungsten. Like Stillhart says the HE-560 is a great choice for those who don't have a system that can drive the HD 800 to it's max potential.

The Ether is also incredibly sick for gaming, just sayin'. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back