Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 11, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #35,341 of 48,578
Do the one with the Dreadcables!

Some people commented that they liked how I included a pic of me wearing the PM-2 in that review, so I decided to take a pic wearing each headphone I may review from now on. Also, Stillhart used to send me pics wearing exotic headphones from CanJams, with smug expressions. They were hilarious (and invited jealousy), so I tried doing that with the HE-560. HD800 pics look epic no matter what you do, haha!

I'm all for the pictures. They add a personal touch to the text, something that doesn't really happen when an author uses stock photos taken from manufacturer's website.

May 11, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #35,342 of 48,578
You guys are trouble... Now that I have the liquid carbon and the Dac 19 myself I really wanna check out the hd800's :thumbsup::grinning:

Or maybe I'd get more out the he-560's with my chain?

The "wow" moment Evs and I both had was on the DAC-19 and Liquid Carbon.  Just sayin.  :wink:  I can only think of one other setup in the price range that I've heard sound as good with the HD800 and that's the Questyle CMA600i.

You'll be pretty happy with the HE-560 on that setup also, but seeing as how the HD800 is so cheap these days and it'll scale with all your upgrades forevermore, it's not a bad option.  I bought the HD800 because I upgraded my amp to the Liquid Crimson and the HE-560 just wasn't cutting it.  I could hear the lack of resolution in the headphones that I never heard in the many months I'd owned them before.

May 11, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #35,343 of 48,578
The "wow" moment Evs and I both had was on the DAC-19 and Liquid Carbon.  Just sayin.  :wink:  I can only think of one other setup in the price range that I've heard sound as good with the HD800 and that's the Questyle CMA600i.

You'll be pretty happy with the HE-560 on that setup also, but seeing as how the HD800 is so cheap these days and it'll scale with all your upgrades forevermore, it's not a bad option.  I bought the HD800 because I upgraded my amp to the Liquid Crimson and the HE-560 just wasn't cutting it.  I could hear the lack of resolution in the headphones that I never heard in the many months I'd owned them before.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something :grinning:

May 11, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #35,344 of 48,578
Nice write-up, Evs.  I would like to point out that I had the same "wow" moment listening to the HD800 at RMAF with you. ...

Yeah, glad I was not the only one! I remember you saying it was the first time you liked it... Thanks for tearing it off your head to share with me!

I've heard many high end headphones on high end rigs since then and I still come back to the HD800.  There's going to be an event this weekend here in SoCal where people will get to demo the HD800 and HD800S on flagship gear (including the Cavalli Liquid Tungsten prototype... drooool!!) and decide which they like better.  (Link here.)  Should be fun if anyone reading this is considering the HD800 but wants to hear what all the hype is about.

Drool drool drooool... But I can't make it. Meets are next-level Head-Fi fun for sure. I'm still glad the HD800s brought down the price of my HD800!

You guys are trouble... Now that I have the liquid carbon and the Dac 19 myself I really wanna check out the hd800's :thumbsup::grinning:

Or maybe I'd get more out the he-560's with my chain?

Nope. Your setup is primed for the HD800 :D

May 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #35,345 of 48,578
I ended up returning the Philips SHP9500 despite giving them good praise. They were really comfy and really good for music, but the soundstage width was just lacking too much for gaming and my taste. I think the MA900 spoiled me. If you don't care about competitive gaming, they are really good for immersion. If you want to "sound whore" in multiplayer games, avoid them.

May 12, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #35,346 of 48,578
I ended up returning the Philips SHP9500 despite giving them good praise. They were really comfy and really good for music, but the soundstage width was just lacking too much for gaming and my taste. I think the MA900 spoiled me. If you don't care about competitive gaming, they are really good for immersion. If you want to "sound whore" in multiplayer games, avoid them.

Yes, its soundstage isnt great but its imaging is pretty good, pretty great actually and can still be used for competitive gaming.

It may not be up there with the Q701, MA900, AD700 or even the HD598 in competitive gaming but the SHP9500 imaging picks-up the lack of soundstage. I dont think their sound signature favors immersion much, it does lack real punch when it comes to the lower end, no boom.

But all in all, its a great headphone for its price.

May 12, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #35,347 of 48,578
Uncharted 4 has some fantastic audio, particularly for headphone gaming in surround. This is quite a change fro the earlier titles which didn't do headphone gaming justice, IMHO. Definitely set it to Home Theater with stuff like SBX and DH.

It's more of the same as the rest of the AKG 700 series so I doubt it. I'd rather see him review a <$100 budget headphone like the new HE-350 or 9500.

Un dia que no sea hoy. :D

My new toy is mostly away from audio stuff. Something that I'm in love with, with the exception of an issue it has that I had to make a thread on avs about. Considering the issue happens with the MAIN reason I bought it in the first place, I'm kinda irked by it. Replacing it, and testing other ones at the store yielded the same exact results.

Anywhoo...

My new toy (which I'm paying with vacation buy back money this year and next) :'(

http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-p-series-review-2016/

65" of this beauty.

And here's my thread on the issue I'm having, BUT is something I can fix everytime (just a hassle since I have to fix it every time I turn it on)

Hopefully a firmware update will address the issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2451386-vizio-2016-p-series-65-75-motion-issues-thread-gamers-take-note.html#post43966986

Yes, it is worth it even with the issue.

I had a long stem of arguments with some people trying to basically sweep the issue under the rug, on its main thread. So I had to make my own thread. Apparently, talking about an issue I have clear evidence of is taboo for like 3 jackasses that just kept trying to argue. The internet emboldens the worst kinds of idiots. One of them who is apparently highly respected, kept trying suggest using a mode that adds like 3x the input lag, and I'm just like "IS THIS GUY SERIOUS?"

May 12, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #35,349 of 48,578
Uncharted 4 has some fantastic audio, particularly for headphone gaming in surround. This is quite a change fro the earlier titles which didn't do headphone gaming justice, IMHO. Definitely set it to Home Theater with stuff like SBX and DH.
Un dia que no sea hoy. :D

My new toy is mostly away from audio stuff. Something that I'm in love with, with the exception of an issue it has that I had to make a thread on avs about. Considering the issue happens with the MAIN reason I bought it in the first place, I'm kinda irked by it. Replacing it, and testing other ones at the store yielded the same exact results.

Anywhoo...

My new toy (which I'm paying with vacation buy back money this year and next) :'(

http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-p-series-review-2016/

65" of this beauty.

And here's my thread on the issue I'm having, BUT is something I can fix everytime (just a hassle since I have to fix it every time I turn it on)

Hopefully a firmware update will address the issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2451386-vizio-2016-p-series-65-75-motion-issues-thread-gamers-take-note.html#post43966986

Yes, it is worth it even with the issue.

I had a long stem of arguments with some people trying to basically sweep the issue under the rug, on its main thread. So I had to make my own thread. Apparently, talking about an issue I have clear evidence of is taboo for like 3 jackasses that just kept trying to argue. The internet emboldens the worst kinds of idiots. One of them who is apparently highly respected, kept trying suggest using a mode that adds like 3x the input lag, and I'm just like "IS THIS GUY SERIOUS?"

Wow...didnt know you knew this much about TVs lol.

And you pretty much have prove of whats going on yet, peope still argue about it? Seems like the AVS forums isnt so friendly.

I wonder if Vizio plays the lottery panel like Samsung? Its been know that companies nowadays do that in order to meet demand of HDTVs and so have other panels installed in different brand sets, which is pretty shady if you ask me.

Guess I will have to follow you in AVS forums now since I am looking for a new TV for my PS4.

Using a 27 inch monitor from BenQ isnt big enough for watching movies.

For me, input lag is a big factor when it comes to gaming, especially FPS games. Of course, nobody wants ghosting either.

May 12, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #35,350 of 48,578
Wow, that's pretty crap, and then I think back to how our E420i-A0 has no firmware updates and is stupidly crippled at 60 Hz input despite allegedly being a 120 Hz set.

I always considered modern HDTVs with all their processing to be pretty awful for motion processing anyway. Gotta get a proper computer monitor if you can live with the smaller size; at least there, the refresh rates are real, and you can even get G-SYNC or FreeSync nowadays if your wallet permits.

Then again, I'm still using old professional CRT monitors in 2016! Can't top that for input lag and motion clarity! Still need to get my FW900 fixed, but as long as my GDM-5410 holds out, I'll manage.

If both die, though... well, guess I better get used to 1920x1080 60 Hz on a 13.3" screen, cringeworthy as it sounds to use a certain new acquisition as my main monitor like that and not just an auxiliary monitor.

May 12, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #35,351 of 48,578
If only TV controllers were customizable. Imagine being able to pick any desired amount of inputs/outputs, built-in filtering and then find a panel with desired size resolution and refresh rate. I'd like to leave in that kind of world.

May 12, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #35,352 of 48,578
May 12, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #35,353 of 48,578
If only TV controllers were customizable. Imagine being able to pick any desired amount of inputs/outputs, built-in filtering and then find a panel with desired size resolution and refresh rate. I'd like to leave in that kind of world.

Funny thing is, I've been hoping for something similar for over a decade, considering we had an old HDTV obsoleted by its lack of HDMI (it's an old rear-projection CRT set).

There's also the IBM T220/T221 - a line of 22.1" monitors with 3840x2400 resolution in 2001! Unfortunately, the DVI interfaces of the day weren't up to snuff and had to drive it in a tiled fashion. That panel would've really benefited from the modern DisplayPort interface and all its bandwidth.

And for retrogaming's sake, some 15/24 KHz RGB inputs with a good low-latency scaler and optional scanline emulation built-in would be great for old computers, consoles and arcade boards, but that's a niche of a niche.

May 12, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #35,355 of 48,578
Glad to see some of you guys upgrading into summit fi. For now, I'm stuck where I am with the X00 and 400i. Happy to have them and grateful to have had the funds when I did, because it will probably be a looooong time until I buy any more audio gear.

PS: Please no more pictures, Ev. I thought I was bald and ugly. Yikes :p :p :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back