Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 9, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #35,312 of 48,566
Speaking of IEMs and gaming, I know that someone favored the Etymotic ER-4P for gaming to the extent that Etymotic actually went and made a variant called the EDGE Acoustics GX-400 that includes an in-line mic, specifically to market as a gaming headset.

IEMs are generally something I haven't considered much for serious listening due to the comfort factor, however. Customs resolve the comfort problem nicely, I'm sure, but are pretty expensive and have next to no resale value for obvious reasons.

May 9, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #35,313 of 48,566
  Speaking of IEMs and gaming, I know that someone favored the Etymotic ER-4P for gaming to the extent that Etymotic actually went and made a variant called the EDGE Acoustics GX-400 that includes an in-line mic, specifically to market as a gaming headset.

IEMs are generally something I haven't considered much for serious listening due to the comfort factor, however. Customs resolve the comfort problem nicely, I'm sure, but are pretty expensive and have next to no resale value for obvious reasons.

I would imagine their new ER4XR will be quite nice for gaming when it comes out. It has a similar sound, but with just a touch of extra bass goodness, which I found to be quite enjoyable. And the cable is user replaceable, so you could toss on an in-line mic for gaming, if you wanted. 

May 9, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #35,314 of 48,566
I always liked Etymotic, had a more accurate sound and MUCH LESS distorted audio than the first two levels of Shure IEMs when I first compared them... in 2006. When I bought my First audiophile headphones, Etymotic ER•6i.

Shure and Ety have improved since then, but Etymotic had a program for awhile where they had a rebate program to lessen the cost of getting custom eartips made for their universal headphones. So, you get the resale value of universals with the advantages/benefits of custom.

The edge brand had an awesome website, but I'm not sure if the brand is still around/being used.

May 10, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #35,315 of 48,566
Hey! I currently got a sennheiser g4me one headset but I want to try some headphones to see if they're better. Which one is the best for 80% FPS gaming (csgo) and 20% music/movies. I have looked at AKG 701/7xx/702 (don't know the difference except price), AD700x, Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 ohm. If you got any other suggestions feel free to tell me. They have to be in the same price range as the ones I listed though.
Also I got a Xonar DG soundcard if it's going to help.

May 10, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #35,316 of 48,566
so i just ordered an AKG 712 Pro, do you guys think it's good for gaming too? lol
k701smile.gif

May 10, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #35,318 of 48,566
  so i just ordered an AKG 712 Pro, do you guys think it's good for gaming too? lol
k701smile.gif

Kindly ask MLE to review the K7XX series finally! IT'S ABOUT TIME 

May 10, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #35,319 of 48,566
It's more of the same as the rest of the AKG 700 series so I doubt it. I'd rather see him review a <$100 budget headphone like the new HE-350 or 9500.

May 10, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #35,321 of 48,566
There is a review on the first page. The K7xx is near identical and is often recommended here for gaming as well.

I've read that, and it influecend me alot in my decision(thx for this MLE), but just had to post about my purchase, sorry.
biggrin.gif

Now i only have my >10y/o HD590's, which i never planned to upgrade, but then you come to this forum to discuss virtual surround, and not two weeks later after reading about headphones too, you're 250€(amazon warehouse deals) poorer. :frowning2:

May 10, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #35,322 of 48,566
so i just ordered an AKG 712 Pro, do you guys think it's good for gaming too? lol:k701smile:

Good? Haha! I had mine for 2.5 years, had to spend over $700 before I found a headphone that I clearly liked better (for gaming and music double-duty). There were some that came close to beating it, but they cost more and weren't better enough (IMO) to be worth owning instead.
You really can camp out on the AKG's for a long time, bettering the rest of your system and enjoying how it scales up. Sure, the AKG may only cost $250, but you should hear it with a Schiit Bifrost, Chord Mojo, a nice tube amp or smooth powerful desktop amp, high quality files... it's amazing how well it scales up with good gear. It also does just a stellar job with surround processing and imaging. And then, if and when you do decide to upgrade, the rest of your audio chain is ready to help you hear the upgrade!

May 10, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #35,323 of 48,566
Hey! I currently got a sennheiser g4me one headset but I want to try some headphones to see if they're better. Which one is the best for 80% FPS gaming (csgo) and 20% music/movies. I have looked at AKG 701/7xx/702 (don't know the difference except price), AD700x, Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 ohm. If you got any other suggestions feel free to tell me. They have to be in the same price range as the ones I listed though.

The AD700x has good imaging and soundstage, but it's all about a sparkly treble and thin mids and bass. Pads are velour and the headphone is super lightweight, but the way it grips your head (stock) is weird and the pads are so broad they rest around and on your ears. Cable is not detachable, but very nice 3 meter silver cable and a screw-on 1/8" to 1/4" adapter.

The AKG K701 is a step up in resolution, imaging, and more refined treble... a little more "involving" in the mids and bass with better bass extension than the AD700, but still the lightest mids and bass of the 3 AKGs you mentioned. In their heyday and introduction, these were like the Sennheiser HD800 of their time, intended for mastering and professional use with a reference sound signature. Angled pads rest completely around your ears, velour is pretty soft and good but/and the cushioning doesn't flatten much. Headband bumps. Non-detachable cable and 1/8" to 1/4" adapter.

The K7XX is like a K701 Anniversary like MLE reviewed, with more bass, flat (non-angled) pads with a tad more squish (the tips of your ears may touch the felt covering the driver), more well-rounded than the K701 and a slightly warmer than flat/reference sound (but pretty close). Comes with one detachable cable and a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter (screw on type).

The Annies (K701 65th Anniversary) is the same design as the K7xx and same general sound, but AKG is a little more picky about driver matching and picking out the "A+" grade drivers, but unless you love the color and collectability, probably not worth the extra $$$. I don't know about accessories (probably at least a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter!).

The K712 I had (and sent to MLE for his review) is like the K701 65th Annies, but the depth of the memory foam pads was a little increased (and measured by AKG as +3dB boosted bass, though my burned-in Q701's that were used for thousands of hours and probably had some Earpad deflation/degradation/skin oils would produce more bass). I do believe AKG was a bit more picky about driver selection here too (at least with the early Austrian-made models, that was the only kind I heard), because my Q701 didn't sound quite as refined (and still had more bass) compared to my K712 when I used the same pair of pads on both headphones. The K712 came with a 3-meter orange cable and a coiled cable, 1/4" adapter.

The K702 is kinda in-between the K701 and K712, sound-signature wise, and has seen a few variations over time. Cool dark-navy color scheme. It has angled pads like the K701 (and Q701), and detachable cable with a 1/4" adapter.

Beyerdynamic DT990... I am honestly afraid to try these. I know some people love these, but I owned the DT880 for a month, tried to love it but the highs fatigued me, leading to excess earwax production and physical pain, and my first experience with tinnitus. Some people say the treble is so clean that they don't experience the problems I had (even with a tube amp), I tried them because there were several very positive reviews, but given my experience I feel like I have a responsibility to at least warn people to listen with caution. The DT990 is supposed to have even MORE TREBLE (and bass). Beyer makes quite soft Earpads and puts a lot of padding on the headband, but I still got headband hotspots after extended wearing. Also, perminent cables and a 1/4" adapter.

-----

Of the above, I probably would recommend a Kxx or K702, whichever seems better to you.

You could always try the other kind of pad too if you want two kinds of fit and small sound differences. Another cool option is the K612, but that's a deceptively power (current) hungry headphone, so you'd probably be best off spending the price difference on a better desktop amp. I'd like to try the FiiO K5 some day, the current-mode Liquid Carbon did wonders for my K612 (almost obscene, eh?) and made it almost planar-like in it's speed and performance. The K5 is also current-mode, but I haven't heard it and only speculate :wink:

May 11, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #35,324 of 48,566

you're better off with the 702s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back