Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #23,221 of 48,578
  With the Recon 3D you're paying for multi-platform support. For just PC use you'll be better off with the Omni.

It could also depend on the deal you're getting. On Amazon the Recon3D is slightly cheaper than the Omni. So if you don't need the beam forming mic and want to have the additional options, the Recon3D could be the better choice.

I agree with Napalm.  The Recon has a huge advantage in that you can use it with consoles or PC.  But if you aren't going to use it with the console, I think the Omni sounds better.  It's not a massive difference, but I noticed it with my Q701 since they're such detail-whores.  I think you're paying for the flexibility on the Recon...

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #23,222 of 48,578
Ha! 

I dont even own a tv, I just have surround monitors which act as one so from what you guys are saying I would benefit from utilizing the OMNI. I just wanted to make sure its the BEST external solution for what I am doing. I still have a Creative Audigy Platinum EX which has an external port. I was going to install this but then the problem again.... No more internal space

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #23,223 of 48,578

I think you guys sold me on the omni. I was going to purchase the ZxR but the problem was that with my xeon and 3 video cards I do not have anymore slots available.

Is the recon3d a lot better? if so I will spend the extra $50 for it since the OMNI and recon3d also seem to solve my problem of not needing another microphone!

EDIT: Seems the Omni is the only one with a microphone. So I take it I should go that route. I take it more expensive here does not mean better?

Oops.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #23,224 of 48,578
It's understandable, I've been wrestling with wondering if I'd notice an appreciable difference from an upgraded DAC since before I borrowed an ODAC from Mad and it happened to not work on my computer (but it worked on everyone else's).

I haven't bought/heard any major DAC upgrades yet, but I didn't hear an appreciable difference using my Q701 + tube amp with: my iPod 5th Gen + FiiO L11 dock line-out, SoundBlaster Z PCI card, Soundblaster Omni, Soundblaster Recon3D USB... there may have been differences, but from memory I can't put a finger on any appreciable difference between them, whereas headphones, surround processing methods, and tube swaps were very different to me. There may be a difference with a better DAC, I just don't know :frowning2:

Edit: I compared the Z vs the Omni side-by-side, but I haven't compared the Omni side-by-side with the Recon3D USB (sharing the Omni and selling/rebuying the Recon3D and changing headphones jumbled things up). For PC though, the Omni definitely is the best gaming external, sounded less wimpy than the Recon3D's built-in amp, and the DAC may have helped the impression too. Plus it has better output options.

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #23,225 of 48,578
It's understandable, I've been wrestling with wondering if I'd notice an appreciable difference from an upgraded DAC since before I borrowed an ODAC from Mad and it happened to not work on my computer (but it worked on everyone else's).

I haven't bought/heard any major DAC upgrades yet, but I didn't hear an appreciable difference using my Q701 + tube amp with: my iPod 5th Gen + FiiO L11 dock line-out, SoundBlaster Z PCI card, Soundblaster Omni, Soundblaster Recon3D USB... there may have been differences, but from memory I can't put a finger on any appreciable difference between them, whereas headphones, surround processing methods, and tube swaps were very different to me. There may be a difference with a better DAC, I just don't know
frown.gif

Edit: I compared the Z vs the Omni side-by-side, but I haven't compared the Omni side-by-side with the Recon3D USB (sharing the Omni and selling/rebuying the Recon3D and changing headphones jumbled things up). For PC though, the Omni definitely is the best gaming external, sounded less wimpy than the Recon3D's built-in amp, and the DAC may have helped the impression too. Plus it has better output options.

You were comparing with an amp.  I suspect the difference I heard with the Rcon and Omni was the built-in amp more than the DAC. 

Regarding an external DAC, I'll tell you in a couple days if it makes a difference.  My Modi Optical shipped today.  :-D

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #23,227 of 48,578
You were comparing with an amp.  I suspect the difference I heard with the Rcon and Omni was the built-in amp more than the DAC. 

Regarding an external DAC, I'll tell you in a couple days if it makes a difference.  My Modi Optical shipped today.  :-D

Yup, I specifically decided to use the amp when I switched from Z to Omni, to minimize variables, but I had to unplug the Z and uninstall/install drivers before I could hear the Omni, and the difference didn't leap out at me with that much time difference. I rebought a Recon later from Nameless cuz I needed a console processor (& I thought he was in a financial bind), and before any A/B testing I let a coworker borrow my Omni (which I didn't realize he would hold for 3 months). Still, I thought the Omni seemed a bit clearer, or at least Borderlands 2 PC sounded great!

PS: Processor Setup Video Update
I just got back the Omni on Saturday, so now I'm just waiting for the Mixamp 5.8 I loaned to Zombie to get back through the mail :)

Thanks guys really appreciate it! I never thought a USB solution would even / could even be possibly considered. Gonna use some of that hard earned store credit at newegg for one :xf_cool:

The Omni sounded really too close to tell apart from the Z, and sounded GREAT with Borderlands 2. All the output options you could ask for, too. It's the best PC gaming external processor, and a great value when you consider it replicates all the features of the Zx card/ACM without potentiometer problems from the ACM adding resistance.

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #23,228 of 48,578
So after seeing $400 being drained from my bank account... I'm getting what I'm calling buyers doubt (not quite buyers remorse) already. The headphones haven't even been shipped yet! 
blink.gif

My question is, are these K712 Pros REALLY a good investment? This is a lot of money (at least in my books) for a pair of headphones and I have no clue what to expect. WIll the K712s be the end of my search for the ultimate cans? Will they last a long time and be well worth the money? 

I apologize if this seems like a really dumb set of questions. I'm on the fence about canceling my order and need the reassurance 
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #23,229 of 48,578
  So after seeing $400 being drained from my bank account... I'm getting what I'm calling buyers doubt (not quite buyers remorse) already. The headphones haven't even been shipped yet! 
blink.gif

My question is, are these K712 Pros REALLY a good investment? This is a lot of money (at least in my books) for a pair of headphones and I have no clue what to expect. WIll the K712s be the end of my search for the ultimate cans? Will they last a long time and be well worth the money? 

I apologize if this seems like a really dumb set of questions. I'm on the fence about canceling my order and need the reassurance 
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #23,231 of 48,578
So after seeing $400 being drained from my bank account... I'm getting what I'm calling buyers doubt (not quite buyers remorse) already. The headphones haven't even been shipped yet! :blink:

I apologize if this seems like a really dumb set of questions. I'm on the fence about canceling my order and need the reassurance :p

Think of it like this: you have seen how many headphones I have owned, right? Well the Annie and K712 are the only real ones I felt did almost everything right to the point where I could stop searching for better. Their versatility, comfort, and finesse just resonated with all my needs.

Have I heard better? Yes. But there were always trade offs. The 712 is a headphone with the least amount of tradeoffs, and for a good price.

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #23,233 of 48,578
Hmm, I'm still waiting on what the HE400i will bring to the table. I mean LCD2 had endgame sound, but dat weight and lack of comfort was a dealbreaker.

I just really love the planar sound, which is just different from all dynamics I have heard.

As much as I'd love the TH900, it still loses bullet points, mainly in it being closed and having fake leather pads.

I think the HE400i/PM-2 (home) + KSC (work) + 15G/MOE (relaxing at home) would be it, AFAIK.

That's really because I wanna try something new, and I want a planar. Otherwise, K712 would be endgame for home use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back