Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 22, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #23,206 of 48,566
  I figured the mic on a computer desk would get in the way of screens. Isn't the sound better when its next to your ear? I just didnt want people to hear me tapping the keyboard as I do games.

There are directional mics that wouldn't pick up the KB sound.  There are mics that are low enough not to get in the way, assuming your monitor is on a regular old monitor stand and not sitting flush with the desk.  There are also mics you can mount to the top of your monitor bezel, like a webcam.

I'm not recommending anything in particular, just saying there are more options if you're sitting at a desk than at a couch.

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #23,207 of 48,566
Curious now...

Right now my AKG headphones are connecting the headphones to the headphone jack on my Logitech Z523 speakers.

Should I be connected to this or would it be better to connect the AKG K702 headphones to the computer directly?
Curious now... Right now my AKG K702 65 annie headphones are connecting to the headphone jack on my Logitech Z523 speakers. Should I be connected to this or would it be better to connect the AKG K702 headphones to the computer directly? Also, I have now broken 4 clip on mics due to the chair running over the wire and the Logitech webcam sounds terrible as a microphone debating just buying an extension cable for the microphone for 10 bucks. Any ideas here?

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #23,208 of 48,566
On man. What was Microsoft thinking? They got tons of complaints about the lack of optical on the launch consoles so they added it with an adapter. Why on earth would they remove it? O_o

Short answer = you expected Microsoft to "think?"
The M$ way is to throw money at problems, and sabotage competition to their main product. Used to be external competition... but then there was XP vs Vista, (unless you count Win 2000 vs ME), basically they bought a cool team to develop the original xBox but over time that talent has been diluted as M$ culture caught up.

There is enough actual competition now that I don't think M$ is evil anymore... they're just incompetent.

I really wanted an optical DAC, but now there is both a Modi with optical and a Geek designed for iPhones.

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #23,209 of 48,566
Curious now...

Right now my AKG headphones are connecting the headphones to the headphone jack on my Logitech Z523 speakers.

Should I be connected to this or would it be better to connect the AKG K702 headphones to the computer directly?
Curious now... Right now my AKG K702 65 annie headphones are connecting to the headphone jack on my Logitech Z523 speakers. Should I be connected to this or would it be better to connect the AKG K702 headphones to the computer directly? Also, I have now broken 4 clip on mics due to the chair running over the wire and the Logitech webcam sounds terrible as a microphone debating just buying an extension cable for the microphone for 10 bucks. Any ideas here?

You're not doing the headphone much justice... ;\

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #23,210 of 48,566
  BF4 is getting better.

I need to check in on BF4 again. The last time I played many of the EU servers were still a mess. I'd heard that some people were joining east coast US servers instead, but I figured that was just passing the buck.

Apparently part of the reason for the rubber banding and lag has been when people join out of region or from locations with no servers nearby. DICE need to get servers out to these places in the middle of nowhere.

Not many games on next gen yet..you can take your time before you buy a new one pwoznic.. I went from xbox360 to ps4 and glad I did..preordered watchdogs and will buy trials fusion in a couple of days time..not that much out to buy..i have bf4 and outlast on ps4 and that's it, i had infamous second son but traded it in for bf4!

I agree that there isn't a need to rush to next gen yet. I got a PS4 early on and while I don't regret buying it, I've spent a lot of time on PS3 or PC since buying it due to the lack of games.

Outlast was pretty cool. Got it free with PS+.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #23,211 of 48,566
Well... I just ordered the K712! Should be here within a week! Sadly, I have to wait a little while to get the money to buy an amp but that should give me enough time to test out the headphones and see how much they benefit from one.

I'm leaning towards the Schiit Magni as an amp because it is much more forgiving with lower impedance headphones and could work well with my GR07s and my M80s (if, by some small chance, I end up wanting to listen to something other than the K712s lol).  

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #23,212 of 48,566
  Well... I just ordered the K712! Should be here within a week! Sadly, I have to wait a little while to get the money to buy an amp but that should give me enough time to test out the headphones and see how much they benefit from one.

I'm leaning towards the Schiit Magni as an amp because it is much more forgiving with lower impedance headphones and could work well with my GR07s and my M80s (if, by some small chance, I end up wanting to listen to something other than the K712s lol).  

I just ordered a K712 myself with an HRT Music Streamer II Plus as a new dac. They will benefit quite a bit from an amp.

Apr 22, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #23,214 of 48,566
  What should I do for audio with my computer?

Motherboard is an X58-ud5 rev 2 I really want to get the most out of it. I dont have anymore room in my case for a soundcard as I had considered that at one point.

Get a Sound Blaster Omni.  It's basically the same thing as a SBZ but external.  Both Ev and I use one and it works great.

Apr 22, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #23,215 of 48,566
  What should I do for audio with my computer?

Motherboard is an X58-ud5 rev 2 I really want to get the most out of it. I dont have anymore room in my case for a soundcard as I had considered that at one point.

You could consider an external card like a Sound Blaster Omni or Recon 3D. Alternatively a DAC and Amp. An external card like one of the ones mentioned will have the advantage of doing virtual surround. With a DAC and amp combo you can get the best possible audio, but the sky is the limit when it comes to pricing.

Edit: I've got an Omni too.

Apr 22, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #23,216 of 48,566
Get a Sound Blaster Omni.  It's basically the same thing as a SBZ but external.  Both Ev and I use one and it works great.

Right.
I have some powered Sony desktop speakers that are a step up in price bracket from yours (though I haven't used them at all in the past 3 months), almost universally the headphone jack on these external speakers is cheap and noisy... It should be a little better directly plugged into the X58, but even so the amps built into soundcards aren't very clear and also have to contend with even more interference from other electrical parts.

I like the Omni because it's basically an external soundcard. It offloads the sound processing load from the CPU (more resources for other stuff), has a better DAC and Amp than what's built into any motherboard, and easily allows you to connect to upgraded amps or DACs later. It will also be the hub to let you connect headphones and up to a 5.1 speaker setup, and switch outputs in software without having to unplug anything. I like the virtual headphone processing very much.

A hi-fi amp will still improve on the sound, but my K712 sounded very good plugged directly into my Omni.

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #23,217 of 48,566

You could consider an external card like a Sound Blaster Omni or Recon 3D. Alternatively a DAC and Amp. An external card like one of the ones mentioned will have the advantage of doing virtual surround. With a DAC and amp combo you can get the best possible audio, but the sky is the limit when it comes to pricing.

Edit: I've got an Omni too.

Right.
I have some powered Sony desktop speakers that are a step up in price bracket from yours (though I haven't used them at all in the past 3 months), almost universally the headphone jack on these external speakers is cheap and noisy... It should be a little better directly plugged into the X58, but even so the amps built into soundcards aren't very clear and also have to contend with even more interference from other electrical parts.

I like the Omni because it's basically an external soundcard. It offloads the sound processing load from the CPU (more resources for other stuff), has a better DAC and Amp than what's built into any motherboard, and easily allows you to connect to upgraded amps or DACs later. It will also be the hub to let you connect headphones and up to a 5.1 speaker setup, and switch outputs in software without having to unplug anything. I like the virtual headphone processing very much.

A hi-fi amp will still improve on the sound, but my K712 sounded very good plugged directly into my Omni.

I think you guys sold me on the omni. I was going to purchase the ZxR but the problem was that with my xeon and 3 video cards I do not have anymore slots available.

Is the recon3d a lot better? if so I will spend the extra $50 for it since the OMNI and recon3d also seem to solve my problem of not needing another microphone!

EDIT: Seems the Omni is the only one with a microphone. So I take it I should go that route. I take it more expensive here does not mean better?

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #23,218 of 48,566

I think you guys sold me on the omni. I was going to purchase the ZxR but the problem was that with my xeon and 3 video cards I do not have anymore slots available.

Is the recon3d a lot better? if so I will spend the extra $50 for it since the OMNI and recon3d also seem to solve my problem of not needing another microphone!

EDIT: Seems the Omni is the only one with a microphone. So I take it I should go that route. I take it more expensive here does not mean better?

With the Recon 3D you're paying for multi-platform support. For just PC use you'll be better off with the Omni.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #23,219 of 48,566
  With the Recon 3D you're paying for multi-platform support. For just PC use you'll be better off with the Omni.

It could also depend on the deal you're getting. On Amazon the Recon3D is slightly cheaper than the Omni. So if you don't need the beam forming mic and want to have the additional options, the Recon3D could be the better choice.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #23,220 of 48,566
I saw that for games it had a few other options, I do have to admit I am keen on that mic since I hate attaching cables.'

Its funny in September I wanted the Zxr and was ready to put down $250

I take it the suggestion is the OMNI right? :xf_cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back