Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #44,851 of 48,566
You are picking up electrical noise from the USB power from the PC to your DAC, and the SP200 is amplifying it. The DX7 is doing a better job of filtering it.

Solution: a USB power isolator, like the iFi iDefender3.0. Or connect the DAC to a self-powered USB hub. (This will most likely just lower the noise)

If I connect to a self powered USB hub, then don't I still need to connect it to my PC? Don't you have this issue too ? My motherboard is the Asus Rampage Extreme VI Encore

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #44,853 of 48,566
Is there a better one than the iFi iDefender3.0? I can't find iFi iDefender3.0 that are for sale. So i'm assumed anyone that play PC game have this issue as well, so it's not just me?

One of the first things I would try to solve noise problems is to use toslink instead of usb.

You mean connect my DAC to my onboard soundcard via Toslink (optical)?

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #44,854 of 48,566
Is there a better one than the iFi iDefender3.0? I can't find iFi iDefender3.0 that are for sale. So i'm assumed anyone that play PC game have this issue as well, so it's not just me?
https://ifi-audio.com/products/idefender3-0/

https://kitsunehifi.com/product/ifi-idefender-3-0/

seems to sold out in a lot of places. There's an updated model that uses USB-C port, but that wouldn't help me, or you for that matter. Kitsune Audio has them in stock. See link above.

You mean connect my DAC to my onboard soundcard via Toslink (optical)?
Yes you would essentially be using the onboard audio's SPDIF-Out to your external DAC.

Jul 24, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #44,855 of 48,566
Jul 25, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #44,856 of 48,566
Hope that PS5 will have stock dac+amp with power to amp good quality headphones. Now PS4 need extra device to AMP headphones. Jack3,5 from DualShock is weak and can’t amp headphones. Console also don’t have outputs to plug in. So I am waiting to PS5 to see what it have got. I hope that it will have base good amp

Jul 25, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #44,857 of 48,566
Hope that PS5 will have stock dac+amp with power to amp good quality headphones. Now PS4 need extra device to AMP headphones. Jack3,5 from DualShock is weak and can’t amp headphones. Console also don’t have outputs to plug in. So I am waiting to PS5 to see what it have got. I hope that it will have base good amp
There are always ways to get good audio out of anything. There are HDMI audio extractors that you can connect dac/amps to, or even just the optical out to a dac with an a optical in. Though HDMI 2.1 audio extractors that allow the upcoming 4K/120hz or 8k/60 aren't out yet.

There's nothing you can't prepare for in terms of audio.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #44,858 of 48,566
Simple.

For pc, I use the Asus Xonar U3 to feed Dolby Headphone to my Modi 3 via optical. The microphone feed is done by the Schiit Hel, and my Amp is the Magni 3.

I use the Sennheiser 6XX with the cheap clip on mic I've had for an eternity.

For console, I don't ever use chat. I have a Mixamp 5.8 connected to my TV's optical out which can do Dolby Digital 5.1 which the Mixamp turns to Dolby Headphone. I'll then either use my KSC75X or 6XX directly to the Mixamp. Not ideal for the 6XX, but I'm lazy and it works all I need it to.

Contrary to the guide's philosophies, I'm not all that strict on audio and gear, and I tend to use the KSC75X for almost all my needs when I'm at home. The 6XX comes out for the epic games or when I'm playing Warzone with friends, of only because using the clip on mic with the KSC75X is annoying.
Wow, you tried so much headphones, and finally playing games on KSC75X??? Never thinking that that headphones good to games and can beat another top headphones.

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #44,859 of 48,566
Wow, you tried so much headphones, and finally playing games on KSC75X??? Never thinking that that headphones good to games and can beat another top headphones.

You don't need a $1000 pair of headphones to do well. As long as you can hear the vast majority of sounds and are able to locate sounds around you, you can get by with anything.

Don't ever believe you need to get any pair of headphones just to do well or enjoy audio.
I love my KSC75X. Between that, or the KSC35, or PortaPro... there's NOTHING else I would take to replace these. As long as I have at least one of those, I'm happy.

Of course, better, more expensive headphones may be more ENJOYABLE, but they are not a requirement.

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #44,860 of 48,566
There are always ways to get good audio out of anything. There are HDMI audio extractors that you can connect dac/amps to, or even just the optical out to a dac with an a optical in. Though HDMI 2.1 audio extractors that allow the upcoming 4K/120hz or 8k/60 aren't out yet.

There's nothing you can't prepare for in terms of audio.
I understand, but I talking that maybe I will don’t need to use creative g6 because PS5 will give me VSS and much power to AMP headphones. Maybe dualsense will have good AMP inside. What do you think? Or you are think that minimum extra desc AMP I will need to have to connect it by optical to PS5?

p.s. why you are talking about audio by HDMI? PS4 have 1hdmi and it’s always goes to TV. It’s translate picture and audio from PS4 to TV. And if I want to plug jack 3,5 I only have 2 ways.
1 - connect jack to TV jack(question of quality tv dac/amp?!)
2- connect it to dualshock (bad quality of sound)

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #44,862 of 48,566
I understand, but I talking that maybe I will don’t need to use creative g6 because PS5 will give me VSS and much power to AMP headphones. Maybe dualsense will have good AMP inside. What do you think? Or you are think that minimum extra desc AMP I will need to have to connect it by optical to PS5?

p.s. why you are talking about audio by HDMI? PS4 have 1hdmi and it’s always goes to TV. It’s translate picture and audio from PS4 to TV. And if I want to plug jack 3,5 I only have 2 ways.
I mean, if you're getting a serious pair of headphones, it's always worth investing in a decent dac/amp. You may not need the virtual surround thgat something like the G6 provides, but it's still a fairly good dac/amp for the price. You can still turn off the surround on the G6 and use the built in surround on the Xbox or PS5.

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #44,863 of 48,566

Because an HDMI extractor will still send HDMI to the TV. THat and there are TVs with ARC, where you can just connect an HDMI extractor, receiver or switcher that has audio outputs to it, and you can plug your amp/dacs to that. Just because there is only an HDMI on a console does not mean you're out of luck in connecting audio devices to it.

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #44,864 of 48,566
You don't need a $1000 pair of headphones to do well. As long as you can hear the vast majority of sounds and are able to locate sounds around you, you can get by with anything.

Don't ever believe you need to get any pair of headphones just to do well or enjoy audio.
I love my KSC75X. Between that, or the KSC35, or PortaPro... there's NOTHING else I would take to replace these. As long as I have at least one of those, I'm happy.

Of course, better, more expensive headphones may be more ENJOYABLE, but they are not a requirement.
Thanks it’s interesting. I am not pro in audio gear and always think that if I want top quality sound in games I need to buy 1000$ headphones + good dac/amp. I understand that having fun and enjoy anyone can take from 50$ headphones, but it’s personally. I want balance from price/quality that make me really good quality but not cost 5000$. And when I read that you ,who tried 1000$ headphones playing games on KSC75X, it’s break my reality:))) maybe I need to go through these headphones to finally understand that headphone like KSC75X it’s my final choice. But now for me it’s hard to understand))

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #44,865 of 48,566
Because an HDMI extractor will still send HDMI to the TV. THat and there are TVs with ARC, where you can just connect an HDMI extractor, receiver or switcher that has audio outputs to it, and you can plug your amp/dacs to that. Just because there is only an HDMI on a console does not mean you're out of luck in connecting audio devices to it.
Thanks. But not much audio devices (dac/amp) have hdmi, always it’s optical connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back