++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #20,566 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys I've been reading this forum for some months now but i mostly read the IEM sections and i'm thinking of buying an over ear/ on-ear headphones since i don't have one that i'm happy with yet. 
From what i've read the V-moda crossfade LP2 / M80, JVC s400 and Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro seems like my type of headphones. 
However, having never tried any of them, I don't know which one has the best SQ. Out of all of them, or any at a similar price range, what would you recommend ?

I like to hear bass that is nice and full but not too overwhelming that it leaks to the mids, having owned the AKG K450 i thought the bass wasn't very pleasant even though there were plenty.
I'm thinking of buying in the 80-200 price range  
I'm a bit iffy on buying an on-ear headphone though 'cause the k450 felt uncomfortable after a long period of time due to the pressure from the pads on my ears.
What do you think will best suit me? 
I'd like to thank in advance for any recommendations.
smily_headphones1.gif

sq and genre preferences? open or closed? no one needs to know all the useless info you listed.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #20,567 of 29,490
Just a bump from my above question:
I'm down to a few sets of headphones for my office:

Beyer DT-880
Beyer COP
V-Moda M-100
Audio Technica ATH 900X
AKG K550

Budget is around $200, but will go higher if there's enough difference between $200 and the next tick up to make it worth the cash (up to the $310 that the M100 are going for).  Will be used in a private office, so no need for closed vs. open.  Would prefer not have to use/buy an amp, at least in the short-term, but plan to grab one down the line. 

Listening: mostly EBM, techno, ambient, ect. 

The DT-880 had been the top contender, but the M-100 seem to be more versatile.  

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #20,568 of 29,490
As someone who usually buys pretty bass-heavy headphones, I thought it would be awesome to try out some cans that are more neutral.

The genres I would listen to with these would be more acoustic type music like Adele and similar artists.

The closest to neutral I have is the SRH-440, which I love but I find them very cold and analytical, whereas I prefer a warmer signature.

Open or closed doesn't really matter as long as they are relatively affordable and not bright or sibilant.

Thanks experts

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #20,570 of 29,490
Quote:
As someone who usually buys pretty bass-heavy headphones, I thought it would be awesome to try out some cans that are more neutral.

The genres I would listen to with these would be more acoustic type music like Adele and similar artists.

The closest to neutral I have is the SRH-440, which I love but I find them very cold and analytical, whereas I prefer a warmer signature.

Open or closed doesn't really matter as long as they are relatively affordable and not bright or sibilant.

Thanks experts

Are you using an amp?  How much are you willing to spend?

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #20,573 of 29,490
Quote:
Can anyone recommend me some headphones for about 130-140$ other than CAL! and DT770 Pro that are good for gaming and movies?

Ultrasone HFI-580 or HFI-780. The former has more bass emphasis and a signature that handles immersive gaming and movies well, while the latter has is more balanced, working well with both immersive and competitive gaming, as well as movies.

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #20,574 of 29,490
Quote:
I am trying to decide between the Schiit Lyr and Burson HA-160 for my Beyerdynamic T1s. Before I make the plunge on either amps, does anyone have experience with either combo?

Thanks!

Not exactly.  However, I can tell you that I like the T1 better out of the hybrid HiFiMan EF5 than out of the Burson HA-160.

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #20,575 of 29,490
Quote:

Ultrasone HFI-580 or HFI-780. The former has more bass emphasis and a signature that handles immersive gaming and movies well, while the latter has is more balanced, working well with both immersive and competitive gaming, as well as movies.

Can't really find them in Europe for less than 150... Any other suggestions?

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #20,578 of 29,490
Quote:
Ball parking based on US street prices: Onkyo C-7030 CD deck (about $175 to $200); HiFiMan EF2A amp [with dac] ($169)--which mean you would then have enough to get AKG Q701, Beyer DT 880 or Senn HD 600 or 650.

If you want to go with an A/V receiver the Yamaha Aventage series have a good headphone section.

Thanks for the advice, i've had a look and the only way i could get the HiFiMan EF2A is buy ordering from an international seller.
do you know of any other good beginner amps i could buy in the uk?

Cheers in advance.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #20,579 of 29,490
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

I currently own the Alessandro MS1, I've had them for a couple years now and they're great but I figure it's time to start looking into some new cans. There are an overwhelming number of opinions out there, and even when reading through the recommended links it gets somewhat contradictory so I've come for some help.

I listen to a lot of progressive rock/metal, but also some classic rock and rap. My favorite bands, for reference, are Coheed and Cambria, Dream Theater, Protest the Hero, The Hold Steady, and Childish Gambino. I would use them for movies and gaming as well, but these would be of secondary importance - the quality of listening to music it what I'm most interested in.

I'm not really experienced at articulating what I'm looking for in terms of sound, other than that I want bass that is present and noticeable but not overpowering, good instrument separation, and strong mids for guitar and male vocals.

I have no amp or DAC at the moment, though down the road I may get one if necessary. Preferably, whatever headphones I get would sound great on their own, but could be enhanced by adding an amp/DAC.

At the moment I'm looking for some closed (or semi-open) headphones in the $200-$250 price range that would be a nice complement for what I already have. My interest has been piqued for a number of headphones, namely:

1. Audio Techinca ATH-A900X
  2. Beyerdynamic DT-770 (250 Ohm)
  3. Shure SRH840
  4. AKG K550
  5. V-MODA M80

Any advice is greatly appreciated, whether it's weighing in on these options or suggesting something that may be better suited. Thanks!

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #20,580 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

I currently own the Alessandro MS1, I've had them for a couple years now and they're great but I figure it's time to start looking into some new cans. There are an overwhelming number of opinions out there, and even when reading through the recommended links it gets somewhat contradictory so I've come for some help.

I listen to a lot of progressive rock/metal, but also some classic rock and rap. My favorite bands, for reference, are Coheed and Cambria, Dream Theater, Protest the Hero, The Hold Steady, and Childish Gambino. I would use them for movies and gaming as well, but these would be of secondary importance - the quality of listening to music it what I'm most interested in.

I'm not really experienced at articulating what I'm looking for in terms of sound, other than that I want bass that is present and noticeable but not overpowering, good instrument separation, and strong mids for guitar and male vocals.

I have no amp or DAC at the moment, though down the road I may get one if necessary. Preferably, whatever headphones I get would sound great on their own, but could be enhanced by adding an amp/DAC.

At the moment I'm looking for some closed (or semi-open) headphones in the $200-$250 price range that would be a nice complement for what I already have. My interest has been piqued for a number of headphones, namely:

1. Audio Techinca ATH-A900X
  2. Beyerdynamic DT-770 (250 Ohm)
  3. Shure SRH840
  4. AKG K550
  5. V-MODA M80

Any advice is greatly appreciated, whether it's weighing in on these options or suggesting something that may be better suited. Thanks!

I have the shure 840 and im quite a fan. They're well balanced, perhaps a touch of mid emphasis, and i do mean a touch...sorta. Anyway, they do well all round. Here's my review on them, i apologize for some of my slight misunderstandings and mild nieveness, but it was an early production...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back